Get involved! Send photos, video, news & views. Text SWINDON NEWS to 80360 or email us
Swindon striker Nile Ranger arrested
SWINDON Town striker Nile Ranger has been arrested in Newcastle on suspicion of breaching his bail conditions.
Now there are fears he could miss Town’s vital League One game against Colchester United tomorrow night and the crucial Johnstone’s Paint Trophy area final second leg against Peterborough on Monday night.
A spokesman for Northumbria Police said: “A 22-year-old man has been arrested in Newcastle City Centre in the early hours of Wednesday, February 12 on suspicion of breaching bail conditions.
"He is currently in custody assisting with police inquiries."
It is believed Ranger was arrested at around 2.30am at a nightclub in the centre of Newcastle.
He had been due to appear at Newcastle Crown Court later this year to answer charges of rape in connection with an alleged incident at a hotel in Newcastle in January 2013.
In August of last year in a hearing at Newcastle Magistrates’ Court, Ranger was told one of the conditions of his bail was not to enter the Northumbria police force area, which banned him from entering Newcastle.
Swindon Town put their faith in the controversial forward by handing him a one-year deal last August, but began talks in December into the possibility of terminating his contract.
Ranger had regularly missed training and hit misfortune when he crashed his Range Rover on Christmas Day.
The club stuck by Ranger after he apologised to team mates and promised to turn his fortunes around.
It is uncertain when Ranger will be released from custody, or even when he might return to Wiltshire, but fans fear he will not be available to play at a pivotal point of Town’s season.
Roger Bunce, 67, spokesman for Swindon Town Supporters Club, said: “The club have been very patient with him, and it will be a bit of a shame if he can’t reward them for that.”
He added that despite Ranger’s clear talents, he could be running out of opportunities at the club.
“I am sure the manager and the owner will feel quite let down if he can’t play.”
A spokesman for Swindon Town Football Club declined to comment.
- January 2013: An alleged rape involving Nile Ranger occurs at a hotel in Newcastle.
- March 2013: Ranger leaves Newcastle United by mutual consent.
- July 2013: Ranger is officially charged with the incident more than six months after officers recieved reports of the event.
- August 2013: Ranger joins Swindon Town one a one-year deal.
- August 2013: Magistrates order Ranger to stay out of the Northumbria police force area as part of his bail conditions ahead of an appearance at crown court.
- December 2013: Ranger crashes his Land Rover into a tree on Christmas Day
- December 2013: Ranger misses training and fails to travel with the squad to a game at Bradford
- January 2014: Swindon Town begin talks to end Ranger’s contract but decide to give the striker another chance.
- January 2014: Ranger again misses training through illness.
- February 2014: He is arrested in Newcastle on suspicion of breaching bail conditions.