Caitlin Hunt's family petition for change to crossing

Caitlin Hunt’s mother Clare Hunt and stepfather Steven Jones, pictured with Caitlin’s sister Georgia, are starting a petition to get the crossing on Moredon Road made clearer

Cailtlin Hunt

First published in News
Last updated
Swindon Advertiser: Photograph of the Author by , @Michael_Benke

THE devastated family of Caitlin Hunt, who was killed by a bus last week, have said they are overwhelmed by the donations already received on a web page set up to collect funds for her funeral.

The nine-year-old died after being hit by the single decker Thamesdown Transport bus on Moredon Road on Tuesday night.

On Friday, the page was set up by a family member for people to donate money which will be used to pay for a funeral.

Within 24 hours, more than £1,300 had been raised, with one anonymous donor putting forward £200.

“I can’t really believe it and I just want to thank everyone,” said Caitlin’s mother Clare.

“This has been a hectic week and this is just a massive weight off my mind.

“People have been so kind and generous. It has helped to ease what we have been going through.

“I want to say a huge thank you to Kerry Plumb for setting up the page in the first place.”

Caitlin was knocked down by the bus outside Blair Parade, in what police have said was a tragic accident.

Clare, and Caitlin’s stepfather Steven Jones, have said they don’t blame the bus driver.

But they are calling on the council to make alterations to the crossing where the accident happened as it is directly opposite the Co-op store, where the road is the same level as the pavement.

“The main problem is it is not clear who has the right of way. Because it is raised some people think it is the path carrying on so just walk over,” said Steven.

“Down the road there is a raised crossing but it has traffic lights. That is what they should put here.”

The family are putting together a petition which they hope people will sign so they can put pressure on the council.

Clare said: “I don’t think they should get rid of the crossing but it should be changed so this never happens again.”

A Swindon Council spokesman said: “The traffic calming measures were introduced in late 2007 following nine accidents resulting in injuries, two of which were serious.

“Over the most recent five-year period since the speed tables were introduced, there has been one slight accident, prior to the latest tragedy.”

To donate to the fund visit www.gofundme.com/7oqey4.

Comments (2)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:00am Tue 25 Mar 14

greenpacer says...

There are maximum speed signs between the calming tables - 20mph. I think this should be reduced to 15mph and flashing beacons should be used at each end.
There are maximum speed signs between the calming tables - 20mph. I think this should be reduced to 15mph and flashing beacons should be used at each end. greenpacer
  • Score: 0

12:29pm Tue 25 Mar 14

BedEd1992 says...

I agree greenpacer - Angers me that it takes something this awful to happen for the council to see that crossing like these need changing.
I agree greenpacer - Angers me that it takes something this awful to happen for the council to see that crossing like these need changing. BedEd1992
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree