SWINDON TOWN 2 PETERBOROUGH UTD 1: Full-time report

Swindon Advertiser: Swindon Town beat Peterborough United 2-1 this afternoon Swindon Town beat Peterborough United 2-1 this afternoon

NILE Ranger scored on his return to the Swindon Town side as the Robins edged out 10-man Peterborough United in a compelling game of football at the County Ground.

Ranger nodded Swindon in front in the first half before Yaser Kasim added a second after the break despite Posh surging back into the tie and dominating much of the second half.

Nathaniel Knight-Percival crashed home a stunning goal for the visitors to reduce arrears and Peterborough pushed hard for an equaliser, despite Lee Tomlin seeing red for two bookings and Posh goalkeeping coach Jimmy Walker being sent to the stands, but ultimately it didn’t arrive.

The return of Ranger was the major talking point around the County Ground pre-match but there was also a full league debut for Brazilian defender Raphael Rossi Branco, while Ryan Mason and Dany N’Guessan were both restored to the starting line-up by Cooper.

Nicky Ajose, who scored 10 goals in 21 appearances on loan at Swindon earlier in the campaign, began alongside Britt Assombalonga up front for Posh, while Tomlin made his comeback from injury.

Town took the lead in the 28th minute, as Ranger leapt highest to head Massimo Luongo’s delicate cross from the right past Bobby Olejnik in the Posh goal.

The Robins went close again in the 37th minute when Alex Pritchard tested Olejnik after wriggling free of three challenges, Tomlin curled a free-kick over from a promising position as Town took a one-goal lead into the break.

In the second half Peterborough found a completely different gear and were within inches of levelling in the 55th minute when Tomlin guided a terrific first-time effort from the edge of the area onto the angle between crossbar and post.

Assombalonga then had a goal ruled out for offside after he tapped home Ajose’s volleyed cross.

The Robins seemed to be hanging on desperately to their slender lead but completely against the run of play in the 70th minute they managed to find a second.

Kasim did it all himself, picking up possession just inside the Peterborough half and driving on a diagonal run across goal into the vacant left-back position before sliding the ball beyond Olejnik.

Cooper responded to the strike by swapping N’Guessan for Nathan Byrne in an effort to shore up at the back but the substitute almost managed to score with his first touch. Only Olejnik’s excellent save, low down to his left, kept out Byrne’s volley.

Posh found a route back into the game with 12 minutes remaining as Knight-Percival was given the time to bring down a high ball on his chest and power home a tremendous volley. Spurred on by the goal, Peterborough seemed destined to turn their game around but their quest was knocked off course when Tomlin received his second yellow card of the match for pushing Kasim to the floor.

Still there was plenty of drama to come in the dying moments. Posh goalkeeping coach Walker was sent to the stands following a 20-man ruck in front of the dug-outs and somehow Jermaine Anderson managed to nod over the top from four yards out and without a Swindon man challenging him, but somehow Town held on.

Comments (13)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:15pm Sat 11 Jan 14

smirg kcab says...

The futures COOPER
The futures COOPER smirg kcab

6:49pm Sat 11 Jan 14

WirralRed says...

Just seen Kasim's goal on Sky - great diagonal run after sublime little turn & made it look so easy! Where was the Peterborough defence?!

COYR!
Just seen Kasim's goal on Sky - great diagonal run after sublime little turn & made it look so easy! Where was the Peterborough defence?! COYR! WirralRed

11:21pm Sat 11 Jan 14

LeGod says...

Branco outstanding today and a lot of well deserved praise and ranger is quality in attack and defensively for us and a quality player.
A great three points weren't at our best today but sometimes it's good to win ugly. We can push on if we can get another three points Tuesday night and no reason why we shouldn't.
Well done MC on the tactical changes as well
Branco outstanding today and a lot of well deserved praise and ranger is quality in attack and defensively for us and a quality player. A great three points weren't at our best today but sometimes it's good to win ugly. We can push on if we can get another three points Tuesday night and no reason why we shouldn't. Well done MC on the tactical changes as well LeGod

11:41pm Sat 11 Jan 14

stranglers says...

smirg kcab wrote:
The futures COOPER
What!!!!! Get real.
[quote][p][bold]smirg kcab[/bold] wrote: The futures COOPER[/p][/quote]What!!!!! Get real. stranglers

7:22am Sun 12 Jan 14

Swindon1984 says...

LeGod wrote:
Branco outstanding today and a lot of well deserved praise and ranger is quality in attack and defensively for us and a quality player.
A great three points weren't at our best today but sometimes it's good to win ugly. We can push on if we can get another three points Tuesday night and no reason why we shouldn't.
Well done MC on the tactical changes as well
Agree on all counts - not our best performance by a long shot but we showed grit that we haven't in many a game. I thought we were pretty fortunate not to concede more than one but the players showed real determination to keep the score line down.

Not sure about the set up yesterday at the back - would definitely be happy with Branco in the middle but Grant Hall left back didn't really do it for me. Would prefer mcEveley in there when fit. Some sloppy passing at times and a few times the town midfield / defence were lunging into challenges and missing, need a bit more descriptions in that area.

Also whichever posh fan brought that bloody drum in, leave it at home for the JPT match, did my head in after a while!
[quote][p][bold]LeGod[/bold] wrote: Branco outstanding today and a lot of well deserved praise and ranger is quality in attack and defensively for us and a quality player. A great three points weren't at our best today but sometimes it's good to win ugly. We can push on if we can get another three points Tuesday night and no reason why we shouldn't. Well done MC on the tactical changes as well[/p][/quote]Agree on all counts - not our best performance by a long shot but we showed grit that we haven't in many a game. I thought we were pretty fortunate not to concede more than one but the players showed real determination to keep the score line down. Not sure about the set up yesterday at the back - would definitely be happy with Branco in the middle but Grant Hall left back didn't really do it for me. Would prefer mcEveley in there when fit. Some sloppy passing at times and a few times the town midfield / defence were lunging into challenges and missing, need a bit more descriptions in that area. Also whichever posh fan brought that bloody drum in, leave it at home for the JPT match, did my head in after a while! Swindon1984

9:06am Sun 12 Jan 14

umpcah says...

Swindon1984 wrote:
LeGod wrote:
Branco outstanding today and a lot of well deserved praise and ranger is quality in attack and defensively for us and a quality player.
A great three points weren't at our best today but sometimes it's good to win ugly. We can push on if we can get another three points Tuesday night and no reason why we shouldn't.
Well done MC on the tactical changes as well
Agree on all counts - not our best performance by a long shot but we showed grit that we haven't in many a game. I thought we were pretty fortunate not to concede more than one but the players showed real determination to keep the score line down.

Not sure about the set up yesterday at the back - would definitely be happy with Branco in the middle but Grant Hall left back didn't really do it for me. Would prefer mcEveley in there when fit. Some sloppy passing at times and a few times the town midfield / defence were lunging into challenges and missing, need a bit more descriptions in that area.

Also whichever posh fan brought that bloody drum in, leave it at home for the JPT match, did my head in after a while!
84 : I`m surprised that anyone would be allowed to take a drum in ! I was sitting some 50 yards away from the almost incessant drumming and people near me were moaning about it. The afternoon`s pleasure for some seated nearer must `ve been ruined ! A most enjoyable afternoon otherwise !
[quote][p][bold]Swindon1984[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]LeGod[/bold] wrote: Branco outstanding today and a lot of well deserved praise and ranger is quality in attack and defensively for us and a quality player. A great three points weren't at our best today but sometimes it's good to win ugly. We can push on if we can get another three points Tuesday night and no reason why we shouldn't. Well done MC on the tactical changes as well[/p][/quote]Agree on all counts - not our best performance by a long shot but we showed grit that we haven't in many a game. I thought we were pretty fortunate not to concede more than one but the players showed real determination to keep the score line down. Not sure about the set up yesterday at the back - would definitely be happy with Branco in the middle but Grant Hall left back didn't really do it for me. Would prefer mcEveley in there when fit. Some sloppy passing at times and a few times the town midfield / defence were lunging into challenges and missing, need a bit more descriptions in that area. Also whichever posh fan brought that bloody drum in, leave it at home for the JPT match, did my head in after a while![/p][/quote]84 : I`m surprised that anyone would be allowed to take a drum in ! I was sitting some 50 yards away from the almost incessant drumming and people near me were moaning about it. The afternoon`s pleasure for some seated nearer must `ve been ruined ! A most enjoyable afternoon otherwise ! umpcah

12:05pm Sun 12 Jan 14

igiwigi says...

Hi All

Great match

One thing that really gets up my nose Is

People complaining about the drum brought In by Peterborough fans.
It adds atmosphere!!

I sit In the Don rogers stand and people complain If you shout too loud.!!

What Is happening to people these days.
They should go to an old peoples home or be sentenced to a whole match at Manchester United without earplugs!!!
I suppose these people are the ones with their heads buried In a mobile phone all day living their own virtual realities!!!
Hi All Great match One thing that really gets up my nose Is People complaining about the drum brought In by Peterborough fans. It adds atmosphere!! I sit In the Don rogers stand and people complain If you shout too loud.!! What Is happening to people these days. They should go to an old peoples home or be sentenced to a whole match at Manchester United without earplugs!!! I suppose these people are the ones with their heads buried In a mobile phone all day living their own virtual realities!!! igiwigi

12:06pm Sun 12 Jan 14

igiwigi says...

By the way I am 62
LUV LIFE!!!
By the way I am 62 LUV LIFE!!! igiwigi

1:19pm Sun 12 Jan 14

Old-Stager, Hilperton says...

igiwigi wrote:
Hi All

Great match

One thing that really gets up my nose Is

People complaining about the drum brought In by Peterborough fans.
It adds atmosphere!!

I sit In the Don rogers stand and people complain If you shout too loud.!!

What Is happening to people these days.
They should go to an old peoples home or be sentenced to a whole match at Manchester United without earplugs!!!
I suppose these people are the ones with their heads buried In a mobile phone all day living their own virtual realities!!!
Sorry igiwigi, but I totally disagree with your comments about the Moron who was allowed to thump his drum the whole afternoon, and I am surprised that the local residents who live near the ground do not complain to the Council.
I also sit in the Don Rogers Stand, and I have never heard of anyone complaining about people shouting too loud.
The drums actually spoil the natural atmosphere of the game rather than add to it as you suggest.
I am quite sure that the officials at Old Trafford would not permit a Buffoon like the one from Peterborough yesterday afternoon to continually bang his drum throughout the match, and annoy everyone else.
All in all I find your posting one of the more stupid offerings I have seen for some period of time.
[quote][p][bold]igiwigi[/bold] wrote: Hi All Great match One thing that really gets up my nose Is People complaining about the drum brought In by Peterborough fans. It adds atmosphere!! I sit In the Don rogers stand and people complain If you shout too loud.!! What Is happening to people these days. They should go to an old peoples home or be sentenced to a whole match at Manchester United without earplugs!!! I suppose these people are the ones with their heads buried In a mobile phone all day living their own virtual realities!!![/p][/quote]Sorry igiwigi, but I totally disagree with your comments about the Moron who was allowed to thump his drum the whole afternoon, and I am surprised that the local residents who live near the ground do not complain to the Council. I also sit in the Don Rogers Stand, and I have never heard of anyone complaining about people shouting too loud. The drums actually spoil the natural atmosphere of the game rather than add to it as you suggest. I am quite sure that the officials at Old Trafford would not permit a Buffoon like the one from Peterborough yesterday afternoon to continually bang his drum throughout the match, and annoy everyone else. All in all I find your posting one of the more stupid offerings I have seen for some period of time. Old-Stager, Hilperton

1:45pm Sun 12 Jan 14

dazzastfc says...

Old-Stager, Hilperton wrote:
igiwigi wrote:
Hi All

Great match

One thing that really gets up my nose Is

People complaining about the drum brought In by Peterborough fans.
It adds atmosphere!!

I sit In the Don rogers stand and people complain If you shout too loud.!!

What Is happening to people these days.
They should go to an old peoples home or be sentenced to a whole match at Manchester United without earplugs!!!
I suppose these people are the ones with their heads buried In a mobile phone all day living their own virtual realities!!!
Sorry igiwigi, but I totally disagree with your comments about the Moron who was allowed to thump his drum the whole afternoon, and I am surprised that the local residents who live near the ground do not complain to the Council.
I also sit in the Don Rogers Stand, and I have never heard of anyone complaining about people shouting too loud.
The drums actually spoil the natural atmosphere of the game rather than add to it as you suggest.
I am quite sure that the officials at Old Trafford would not permit a Buffoon like the one from Peterborough yesterday afternoon to continually bang his drum throughout the match, and annoy everyone else.
All in all I find your posting one of the more stupid offerings I have seen for some period of time.
DRUMS SHOULD BE BANNED END OF....
The constant droning of a drum betting gets on most peoples wick and it spoils the atmosphere BIG TIME...

When watching the highlights of the p/ship I don't think you ever here a drum beating...ALL IT IS IS JUST A PRAT WONTING TO GET NOTICED....

We had one years ago until the STFC fans told him were they were going to shove it if the bought it again...AND YES HE WAS A PRAT..
[quote][p][bold]Old-Stager, Hilperton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]igiwigi[/bold] wrote: Hi All Great match One thing that really gets up my nose Is People complaining about the drum brought In by Peterborough fans. It adds atmosphere!! I sit In the Don rogers stand and people complain If you shout too loud.!! What Is happening to people these days. They should go to an old peoples home or be sentenced to a whole match at Manchester United without earplugs!!! I suppose these people are the ones with their heads buried In a mobile phone all day living their own virtual realities!!![/p][/quote]Sorry igiwigi, but I totally disagree with your comments about the Moron who was allowed to thump his drum the whole afternoon, and I am surprised that the local residents who live near the ground do not complain to the Council. I also sit in the Don Rogers Stand, and I have never heard of anyone complaining about people shouting too loud. The drums actually spoil the natural atmosphere of the game rather than add to it as you suggest. I am quite sure that the officials at Old Trafford would not permit a Buffoon like the one from Peterborough yesterday afternoon to continually bang his drum throughout the match, and annoy everyone else. All in all I find your posting one of the more stupid offerings I have seen for some period of time.[/p][/quote]DRUMS SHOULD BE BANNED END OF.... The constant droning of a drum betting gets on most peoples wick and it spoils the atmosphere BIG TIME... When watching the highlights of the p/ship I don't think you ever here a drum beating...ALL IT IS IS JUST A PRAT WONTING TO GET NOTICED.... We had one years ago until the STFC fans told him were they were going to shove it if the bought it again...AND YES HE WAS A PRAT.. dazzastfc

2:02pm Sun 12 Jan 14

oo-r-ya? says...

We walked past the drummer in Shrivvy Road after the game. He looked surprisingly normal. I told him we don't need to use artificial aids to create an atmosphere.
We walked past the drummer in Shrivvy Road after the game. He looked surprisingly normal. I told him we don't need to use artificial aids to create an atmosphere. oo-r-ya?

2:38pm Sun 12 Jan 14

FORZASTFC says...

Where has Branco been all this time, what a cool, composed player we have!
Top player & great to see Ranger back as he is Quality up front, please Nile get your head sorted once & for all as you need us as much as we need you?
Well done Coops, doing a fantastic job with us & long may it continue, GREAT RESULT! COYRS
Where has Branco been all this time, what a cool, composed player we have! Top player & great to see Ranger back as he is Quality up front, please Nile get your head sorted once & for all as you need us as much as we need you? Well done Coops, doing a fantastic job with us & long may it continue, GREAT RESULT! COYRS FORZASTFC

7:16am Mon 13 Jan 14

Swindon1984 says...

dazzastfc wrote:
Old-Stager, Hilperton wrote:
igiwigi wrote:
Hi All

Great match

One thing that really gets up my nose Is

People complaining about the drum brought In by Peterborough fans.
It adds atmosphere!!

I sit In the Don rogers stand and people complain If you shout too loud.!!

What Is happening to people these days.
They should go to an old peoples home or be sentenced to a whole match at Manchester United without earplugs!!!
I suppose these people are the ones with their heads buried In a mobile phone all day living their own virtual realities!!!
Sorry igiwigi, but I totally disagree with your comments about the Moron who was allowed to thump his drum the whole afternoon, and I am surprised that the local residents who live near the ground do not complain to the Council.
I also sit in the Don Rogers Stand, and I have never heard of anyone complaining about people shouting too loud.
The drums actually spoil the natural atmosphere of the game rather than add to it as you suggest.
I am quite sure that the officials at Old Trafford would not permit a Buffoon like the one from Peterborough yesterday afternoon to continually bang his drum throughout the match, and annoy everyone else.
All in all I find your posting one of the more stupid offerings I have seen for some period of time.
DRUMS SHOULD BE BANNED END OF....
The constant droning of a drum betting gets on most peoples wick and it spoils the atmosphere BIG TIME...

When watching the highlights of the p/ship I don't think you ever here a drum beating...ALL IT IS IS JUST A PRAT WONTING TO GET NOTICED....

We had one years ago until the STFC fans told him were they were going to shove it if the bought it again...AND YES HE WAS A PRAT..
Totally agree - a cheap way of trying to "drum up" some atmosphere from their away fans. Aside from the drum and an early burst of song there was little created from posh, not a patch on towns fantastic travelling support which I'm proud often to be a part of.

Have to disagree with igiwigi - I certainly don't have my head buried in a mobile, I'm there to watch the match and support the team, vocally, not ruin the experience for myself and others by making obnoxious banging noises.

Anyway, great result, and so good to see Branco performing well.
[quote][p][bold]dazzastfc[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Old-Stager, Hilperton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]igiwigi[/bold] wrote: Hi All Great match One thing that really gets up my nose Is People complaining about the drum brought In by Peterborough fans. It adds atmosphere!! I sit In the Don rogers stand and people complain If you shout too loud.!! What Is happening to people these days. They should go to an old peoples home or be sentenced to a whole match at Manchester United without earplugs!!! I suppose these people are the ones with their heads buried In a mobile phone all day living their own virtual realities!!![/p][/quote]Sorry igiwigi, but I totally disagree with your comments about the Moron who was allowed to thump his drum the whole afternoon, and I am surprised that the local residents who live near the ground do not complain to the Council. I also sit in the Don Rogers Stand, and I have never heard of anyone complaining about people shouting too loud. The drums actually spoil the natural atmosphere of the game rather than add to it as you suggest. I am quite sure that the officials at Old Trafford would not permit a Buffoon like the one from Peterborough yesterday afternoon to continually bang his drum throughout the match, and annoy everyone else. All in all I find your posting one of the more stupid offerings I have seen for some period of time.[/p][/quote]DRUMS SHOULD BE BANNED END OF.... The constant droning of a drum betting gets on most peoples wick and it spoils the atmosphere BIG TIME... When watching the highlights of the p/ship I don't think you ever here a drum beating...ALL IT IS IS JUST A PRAT WONTING TO GET NOTICED.... We had one years ago until the STFC fans told him were they were going to shove it if the bought it again...AND YES HE WAS A PRAT..[/p][/quote]Totally agree - a cheap way of trying to "drum up" some atmosphere from their away fans. Aside from the drum and an early burst of song there was little created from posh, not a patch on towns fantastic travelling support which I'm proud often to be a part of. Have to disagree with igiwigi - I certainly don't have my head buried in a mobile, I'm there to watch the match and support the team, vocally, not ruin the experience for myself and others by making obnoxious banging noises. Anyway, great result, and so good to see Branco performing well. Swindon1984

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree