Get involved! Send photos, video, news & views. Text SWINDON NEWS to 80360 or email us
10 things called 'Swindon' which aren't Swindon
1. Swindon Hole. Part of the Ease Gill cave system in Cumbria, which is Britain’s longest at about 40 miles. Swindon Hole includes various passages and a pool.
2. Swindon Road, Tampa, Florida. Handy for Berkeley Preparatory School and the Presbytery of Tampa Bay. Recently a three-bedroom family home there sold for £71,600 – about £42,950.
3. Swindon Road, Rocklin, California. Good schools and a park nearby. A five-bedroom house can be had for the equivalent of about £248,000 and the weather is currently clear and sunny.
4. Swindon Grove, an upmarket street in McKinnon, a suburb of Melbourne, Australia.
5. Swindon Book Company Limited, 13-15 Lock Road, Hong Kong. swindonbooks.com
6. Swindon Village, a suburb of Cheltenham, although you probably knew about that one already.
7. Swindon, a village in Staffordshire. You might already know about that one, too.
8. Mark Swindon, head of sales, Paton’s Confectionery, 17 Rushdale Street, Knoxfield, Victoria, Australia.
9. In fact, most people whose surname is Swindon, of whom there are several hundred. Genealogists suggest the majority are descended not from Swindonians but from people who lived in a tiny Yorkshire hamlet called Swinden.
10. The Swindon Boarding House, which operated in Marjoribanks Street, Wellington, New Zealand in the 19th Century.