Have your say over the council’s future

First published in News

HOUSEHOLDERS are being invited to take part in a new project to discuss the future direction of Swindon Council, as demand for services rises and Government funding reduces.

The Big Conversation aims to create a two-way dialogue with residents on council services and the key challenges the authority faces – to produce better-informed decisions which the community will be involved in.

The council says the impact of an ageing population, increasing demand across the board and reduced funding means things will have to be done differently, so improving awareness of what the council does, how much it costs and the bigger picture will help people to understand why this is happening.

To support the Big Conversation, Swindon Council has produced an illustrated online presentation to show the facts and figures in a way that is easy to understand and prompts discussion.

Residents are encouraged to share their views by talking to ward councillors or emailing Bigconversation@swindon.gov.

uk.

They can also tweet about it, using the hashtag #Bigconversation, and or visit the Facebook page at www.facebook.com/swindonbigconversation.

Council leader Rod Bluh said: “Local councils are facing unprecedented challenges and Swindon, unfortunately, is no exception. “We know people do not feel informed about where the money is spent, the issues concerned and how to influence decisions.

“The Big Conversation is part of our commitment to try and change this – we will be presenting information in more engaging ways and encouraging as many people as we can to join the discussion.

“Some of the facts about now and the future are quite startling, but it is right to get them out there and start talking. There are no easy answers and lots of tough choices lie ahead.

“However, I am passionate about facing these as openly and constructively as possible, so we can continue to help build stronger communities in Swindon. “Hopefully this information will spark lots of conversations, large and small, whether in person or online, with families, friends, neighbours, colleagues, Council staff and of course councillors. “The issues will undoubtedly affect us all and I look forward to joining the discussions and listening to your comments.”

Swindon Council needs to find savings of about £15m to balance its budget for 2013/14 and there is expected to be a similar gap in future years, which the cabinet says will be evermore challenging to plug without redesigning services.

Estimates for Swindon show the population of people aged 85 and over is expected to rise by 59.4 per cent by 2022, with the number of people aged 75 and over to increase by 40 per cent.

And in the next 10 years the number of people in residential care homes is set to rise by 40 per cent.

For more information, visit www.swindon.gov.uk/bigconversation

Comments (19)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:02pm Sun 25 Nov 12

The Real Librarian says...

Lets see some cuts in the Councillors wages, pardon me, expenses.
(If they are expenses, why do they pay tax and N.I. on them?)
Once you have done that, we can talk abput our services.
Lets see some cuts in the Councillors wages, pardon me, expenses. (If they are expenses, why do they pay tax and N.I. on them?) Once you have done that, we can talk abput our services. The Real Librarian
  • Score: 0

10:02pm Sun 25 Nov 12

The Real Librarian says...

Lets see some cuts in the Councillors wages, pardon me, expenses.
(If they are expenses, why do they pay tax and N.I. on them?)
Once you have done that, we can talk abput our services.
Lets see some cuts in the Councillors wages, pardon me, expenses. (If they are expenses, why do they pay tax and N.I. on them?) Once you have done that, we can talk abput our services. The Real Librarian
  • Score: 0

10:13pm Sun 25 Nov 12

Drivetime says...

The Real Librarian wrote:
Lets see some cuts in the Councillors wages, pardon me, expenses. (If they are expenses, why do they pay tax and N.I. on them?) Once you have done that, we can talk abput our services.
A councillor in Swindon is paid something like 7K per year for being a councillor. If you look at the hours they put in they are working for less than minimum wage in most cases and I dont feel this is the right thing to look at. What they could look at is bringing businesses to Swindon. A 350 million pound development is good but building more unneeded car parks is not the way to spend it. I also feel that putting work out to tender is not the way forward. These companies make a profit as thats what they are there for. If the council do it themselves they could make the profit therefore more money in the coffers for the borough.

I would also look at the amount of money spent on Sick pay for council staff. Improve moral an reuce sickness as my understanding is moral is at rock bottom.

I would also like to see us get our 400k back off Ricky Hunt. My understanding is that he personally benefitted for around 200k of that. Send the bailiffs round to him in the way the council do to har working people who miss a council tax payment once in a while.

I could go on and on but I wont, I will take part in the big conversation. If they really do listen (I am not totally convinced yet) I think this would be a really good idea.
[quote][p][bold]The Real Librarian[/bold] wrote: Lets see some cuts in the Councillors wages, pardon me, expenses. (If they are expenses, why do they pay tax and N.I. on them?) Once you have done that, we can talk abput our services.[/p][/quote]A councillor in Swindon is paid something like 7K per year for being a councillor. If you look at the hours they put in they are working for less than minimum wage in most cases and I dont feel this is the right thing to look at. What they could look at is bringing businesses to Swindon. A 350 million pound development is good but building more unneeded car parks is not the way to spend it. I also feel that putting work out to tender is not the way forward. These companies make a profit as thats what they are there for. If the council do it themselves they could make the profit therefore more money in the coffers for the borough. I would also look at the amount of money spent on Sick pay for council staff. Improve moral an reuce sickness as my understanding is moral is at rock bottom. I would also like to see us get our 400k back off Ricky Hunt. My understanding is that he personally benefitted for around 200k of that. Send the bailiffs round to him in the way the council do to har working people who miss a council tax payment once in a while. I could go on and on but I wont, I will take part in the big conversation. If they really do listen (I am not totally convinced yet) I think this would be a really good idea. Drivetime
  • Score: 0

10:33pm Sun 25 Nov 12

Always Grumpy says...

Does anyone honestly think this council will take any notice of what people in Swindon want? If they do, then that will be a first!
I think they'll ignore the electorate like they usually do.
Does anyone honestly think this council will take any notice of what people in Swindon want? If they do, then that will be a first! I think they'll ignore the electorate like they usually do. Always Grumpy
  • Score: 0

11:14pm Sun 25 Nov 12

leapylee says...

The 'Big Conversation'?

Maybe the 'Big Listen and We Will Act on your Wishes' might instill more confidence in the residents of Swindon.
The 'Big Conversation'? Maybe the 'Big Listen and We Will Act on your Wishes' might instill more confidence in the residents of Swindon. leapylee
  • Score: 0

6:59am Mon 26 Nov 12

TinkeyWinkey says...

Agrees with Drivetime's comment about Ricky Hunt and about this council listening to what the people of Swindon want.


Stop turning away Business's that want to come here. Give us a Town Centre we feel proud to shop in. Stop allowing all the outside benefit Scroungers coming into the town then having to put them up in property at the Tax payer's expense - we have enough in this town already!!
Agrees with Drivetime's comment about Ricky Hunt and about this council listening to what the people of Swindon want. Stop turning away Business's that want to come here. Give us a Town Centre we feel proud to shop in. Stop allowing all the outside benefit Scroungers coming into the town then having to put them up in property at the Tax payer's expense - we have enough in this town already!! TinkeyWinkey
  • Score: 0

8:48am Mon 26 Nov 12

Bobfm , says...

TinkeyWinkey wrote:
Agrees with Drivetime's comment about Ricky Hunt and about this council listening to what the people of Swindon want.


Stop turning away Business's that want to come here. Give us a Town Centre we feel proud to shop in. Stop allowing all the outside benefit Scroungers coming into the town then having to put them up in property at the Tax payer's expense - we have enough in this town already!!
How?
[quote][p][bold]TinkeyWinkey[/bold] wrote: Agrees with Drivetime's comment about Ricky Hunt and about this council listening to what the people of Swindon want. Stop turning away Business's that want to come here. Give us a Town Centre we feel proud to shop in. Stop allowing all the outside benefit Scroungers coming into the town then having to put them up in property at the Tax payer's expense - we have enough in this town already!![/p][/quote]How? Bobfm ,
  • Score: 0

10:19am Mon 26 Nov 12

candid friend says...

This is a cynical attempt to shift the responsibility for cuts.
A minority of councillors(The Cabinet) are involved in administration. The remainder , whose sole discernible role is to turn up at council meetings, are paid to stay away.
Staff salaries, especially at the senior level, are excessive.Wiltshire with a bigger population pays less.
In any event the existing controlling group are likely to be wiped out before very long.The opinion polls indicate a Labour majority is inevitable..
I do not remember the ratepayers being consulted before the hosing of money over dodgy friends of councillors.
This is a cynical attempt to shift the responsibility for cuts. A minority of councillors(The Cabinet) are involved in administration. The remainder , whose sole discernible role is to turn up at council meetings, are paid to stay away. Staff salaries, especially at the senior level, are excessive.Wiltshire with a bigger population pays less. In any event the existing controlling group are likely to be wiped out before very long.The opinion polls indicate a Labour majority is inevitable.. I do not remember the ratepayers being consulted before the hosing of money over dodgy friends of councillors. candid friend
  • Score: 0

10:25am Mon 26 Nov 12

The Real Librarian says...

The Real Librarian wrote:
Lets see some cuts in the Councillors wages, pardon me, expenses. (If they are expenses, why do they pay tax and N.I. on them?) Once you have done that, we can talk abput our services.

QUOTE
Drivetime says...
10:13pm Sun 25 Nov 12
A councillor in Swindon is paid something like 7K per year for being a councillor. If you look at the hours they put in they are working for less than minimum wage in most cases and I dont feel this is the right thing to look at.
UNQUOTE

And which councillor are you / are you married to?

The reason why you are wrong, is that these are not supposed to be wages. They are expenses. They are supposed to be serving the community, which is not something they should get paid for.

Before you say it is unreasonable to expect people to do something for nothing, let me remind you of some people who volunteer their time for no pay whatsoever.

St Johns Ambulance
Lifeboat men
Mountain rescue services
Citizens Advice Bureau staff

And so on.

If the Councillors are really interested in serving the community they will live with a reduction in expenses to a true cost basis. If not, they can get stuffed.
The Real Librarian wrote: Lets see some cuts in the Councillors wages, pardon me, expenses. (If they are expenses, why do they pay tax and N.I. on them?) Once you have done that, we can talk abput our services. QUOTE Drivetime says... 10:13pm Sun 25 Nov 12 A councillor in Swindon is paid something like 7K per year for being a councillor. If you look at the hours they put in they are working for less than minimum wage in most cases and I dont feel this is the right thing to look at. UNQUOTE And which councillor are you / are you married to? The reason why you are wrong, is that these are not supposed to be wages. They are expenses. They are supposed to be serving the community, which is not something they should get paid for. Before you say it is unreasonable to expect people to do something for nothing, let me remind you of some people who volunteer their time for no pay whatsoever. St Johns Ambulance Lifeboat men Mountain rescue services Citizens Advice Bureau staff And so on. If the Councillors are really interested in serving the community they will live with a reduction in expenses to a true cost basis. If not, they can get stuffed. The Real Librarian
  • Score: 0

10:30am Mon 26 Nov 12

The Real Librarian says...

Here's another thought

The Chief Executive of SBC gets £174,000

David Cameron gets £142,000

Why does the Chief Executive of SBC get more for running Swindon than David Cameron gets for running the country.

Think On't.
Here's another thought The Chief Executive of SBC gets £174,000 David Cameron gets £142,000 Why does the Chief Executive of SBC get more for running Swindon than David Cameron gets for running the country. Think On't. The Real Librarian
  • Score: 0

10:43am Mon 26 Nov 12

Wigmeister says...

GET RID OF ALL THE CONSULTANTS!
GET RID OF ALL THE CONSULTANTS! Wigmeister
  • Score: 0

11:48am Mon 26 Nov 12

Russell Holland says...

On Councillors allowances - if there was no allowance for being a Councillor it would mean that people on low incomes would find it disproprortionately difficult to become Cllrs. It would also mean that people who are self employed would find it more difficult. Also having an allowance gives an additional obligation on Councillors to make sure they fulfil their responsibilities because they are being paid. Personally, along with several other Councillors, I don't claim any expenses because I consider the allowance is generous enough to cover them. The allowances in Swindon are much lower than in other Councils.
On Councillors allowances - if there was no allowance for being a Councillor it would mean that people on low incomes would find it disproprortionately difficult to become Cllrs. It would also mean that people who are self employed would find it more difficult. Also having an allowance gives an additional obligation on Councillors to make sure they fulfil their responsibilities because they are being paid. Personally, along with several other Councillors, I don't claim any expenses because I consider the allowance is generous enough to cover them. The allowances in Swindon are much lower than in other Councils. Russell Holland
  • Score: 0

2:05pm Mon 26 Nov 12

house on the hill says...

There are so many things that need to be resolved, its hard to know where to start.

To begin with the whole culture in SBC is one of complacency and errors and low production being accepted as the norm. There are also far too many people who have simply been there too long and are stuck in a deep rut. they have no understanding of working in a competative environment or having to provide a value for money service or your customers go elswhere because we dont have that option. They are all terrifed of change and when the restructuring and reorganisation goes on instead of getting rid of the "deadwood" and bringing in people with new ideas and working practices, they just recycle the same inept complacent bunch who have proved time and time again they are just not up to it.


Too much sick leave and sick pay, but then if you give them full pay for 6 months in a 12 month period, people will abuse it.
having 113 managers on over £50k out of a workforce of 1500 is excessive and you would never find that sort of ratio in the private sector.
Morale is through the floor mainly because of the frustration of those who do want to do a good job are unable to do so because of the incompetance of those around and above them just make it impossible no matter how hard they try. Also those who thought they had a job for life are just grasping that the public sector is about 20 years behind the private sector in realising and accepting that it is unaffordable to continue with all the non jobs, the wages and pensions and other perks that they receive.
Also get rid of the "partners" who have brought nothing new to Swindon and have taken more than a few jobs away to their processing and call centres in other parts of the country. this overall loss to the economy of Swindon of the loss in salaries far outweighs any cost benefit of having these profit driven organisations working alongside the council. 25% of councils who had partners have got rid of them and another 25% are in the process of breaking the links as they have realised it isnt cost effective to have the PLC's making all the decisions, most of which only benefit their shareholders and not the town.

Also the councillors have been there too long and have to many "friends" and hangers on who seem to benefit form our taxes and why on earth do we need 59 of them for goodness sake????

The whole place from top to bottom needs a complete revamp of staff and ideas, just look around the town, are the people who let it get to this really the ones you want to take us forward?
There are so many things that need to be resolved, its hard to know where to start. To begin with the whole culture in SBC is one of complacency and errors and low production being accepted as the norm. There are also far too many people who have simply been there too long and are stuck in a deep rut. they have no understanding of working in a competative environment or having to provide a value for money service or your customers go elswhere because we dont have that option. They are all terrifed of change and when the restructuring and reorganisation goes on instead of getting rid of the "deadwood" and bringing in people with new ideas and working practices, they just recycle the same inept complacent bunch who have proved time and time again they are just not up to it. Too much sick leave and sick pay, but then if you give them full pay for 6 months in a 12 month period, people will abuse it. having 113 managers on over £50k out of a workforce of 1500 is excessive and you would never find that sort of ratio in the private sector. Morale is through the floor mainly because of the frustration of those who do want to do a good job are unable to do so because of the incompetance of those around and above them just make it impossible no matter how hard they try. Also those who thought they had a job for life are just grasping that the public sector is about 20 years behind the private sector in realising and accepting that it is unaffordable to continue with all the non jobs, the wages and pensions and other perks that they receive. Also get rid of the "partners" who have brought nothing new to Swindon and have taken more than a few jobs away to their processing and call centres in other parts of the country. this overall loss to the economy of Swindon of the loss in salaries far outweighs any cost benefit of having these profit driven organisations working alongside the council. 25% of councils who had partners have got rid of them and another 25% are in the process of breaking the links as they have realised it isnt cost effective to have the PLC's making all the decisions, most of which only benefit their shareholders and not the town. Also the councillors have been there too long and have to many "friends" and hangers on who seem to benefit form our taxes and why on earth do we need 59 of them for goodness sake???? The whole place from top to bottom needs a complete revamp of staff and ideas, just look around the town, are the people who let it get to this really the ones you want to take us forward? house on the hill
  • Score: 0

2:34pm Mon 26 Nov 12

The Real Librarian says...

Russell Holland wrote:
On Councillors allowances - if there was no allowance for being a Councillor it would mean that people on low incomes would find it disproprortionately difficult to become Cllrs. It would also mean that people who are self employed would find it more difficult. Also having an allowance gives an additional obligation on Councillors to make sure they fulfil their responsibilities because they are being paid. Personally, along with several other Councillors, I don't claim any expenses because I consider the allowance is generous enough to cover them. The allowances in Swindon are much lower than in other Councils.
Russell,

By your logic, it would also be very difficult for people on low incomes to be Lifeboatmen and in the St John's ambulance and Mountain Rescue.

Do you seriously believe all of these people are independently wealthy.

At the end of the day, being a councillor should be a public service, like coaching a footbal team or volunteering for charity.At most you should get realistic costs only and should not be looking for a supliment to your wages.

If its about the money you are doing it for the wrong reason.
[quote][p][bold]Russell Holland[/bold] wrote: On Councillors allowances - if there was no allowance for being a Councillor it would mean that people on low incomes would find it disproprortionately difficult to become Cllrs. It would also mean that people who are self employed would find it more difficult. Also having an allowance gives an additional obligation on Councillors to make sure they fulfil their responsibilities because they are being paid. Personally, along with several other Councillors, I don't claim any expenses because I consider the allowance is generous enough to cover them. The allowances in Swindon are much lower than in other Councils.[/p][/quote]Russell, By your logic, it would also be very difficult for people on low incomes to be Lifeboatmen and in the St John's ambulance and Mountain Rescue. Do you seriously believe all of these people are independently wealthy. At the end of the day, being a councillor should be a public service, like coaching a footbal team or volunteering for charity.At most you should get realistic costs only and should not be looking for a supliment to your wages. If its about the money you are doing it for the wrong reason. The Real Librarian
  • Score: 0

2:47pm Mon 26 Nov 12

Silver Lining says...

While I understand the concern about Councillor expenses, my bigger concern is that the arguments don't get sidetracked by this one issue of concern.

What is more important to me is how the elderly and vulnerable in society will get the help and support they need and deserve, when there are such swinging cuts to council funding ... not only in Swindon but elsewhere too. It's a matter of choice on how limited funds are spent that's the key argument that needs to be made. It ought to be a wider debate than just councillor expenses.
While I understand the concern about Councillor expenses, my bigger concern is that the arguments don't get sidetracked by this one issue of concern. What is more important to me is how the elderly and vulnerable in society will get the help and support they need and deserve, when there are such swinging cuts to council funding ... not only in Swindon but elsewhere too. It's a matter of choice on how limited funds are spent that's the key argument that needs to be made. It ought to be a wider debate than just councillor expenses. Silver Lining
  • Score: 0

5:55pm Mon 26 Nov 12

Russell Holland says...

Librarian, Councillors are elected to have specific responsibilities and are directly answerable to the electorate through elections. They have a specific role to represent people, so it is not the same as doing a voluntary job. Many Councillors are also governors - which is not paid. I think an allowance is appropriate for the reasons I gave earlier.

Silver Lining - the majority of Council spending is spent on social care for vulnerable people but most people in Swindon don't receive social care services. So people question what they receive, apart from the rubbish collection, what they get for paying their tax. So part of the reason for the big conversation is to raise awareness about what the Council actually does.
Librarian, Councillors are elected to have specific responsibilities and are directly answerable to the electorate through elections. They have a specific role to represent people, so it is not the same as doing a voluntary job. Many Councillors are also governors - which is not paid. I think an allowance is appropriate for the reasons I gave earlier. Silver Lining - the majority of Council spending is spent on social care for vulnerable people but most people in Swindon don't receive social care services. So people question what they receive, apart from the rubbish collection, what they get for paying their tax. So part of the reason for the big conversation is to raise awareness about what the Council actually does. Russell Holland
  • Score: 0

7:11pm Mon 26 Nov 12

The Real Librarian says...

Russell

Its supposed to be a public service, not an ego trip.

I love this story


QUOTE
When I started out in this game in 1971, the leader of the local council was an engine driver called Charlie Swift, who ran the city in his spare time.Meetings were always held in the evenings and he'd frequently hitch a ride to the Town Hall with me in the office mini-van, in exchange for a scoop for next week's paper. He was his own press officer.Charlie's surgery was the front room of his terrace house in the ward he represented. He didn't receive a penny from the ratepayers in salary or expenses. Neither did any of his fellow councillors, who gave their time for free
UNQUOTE
Russell Its supposed to be a public service, not an ego trip. I love this story QUOTE When I started out in this game in 1971, the leader of the local council was an engine driver called Charlie Swift, who ran the city in his spare time.Meetings were always held in the evenings and he'd frequently hitch a ride to the Town Hall with me in the office mini-van, in exchange for a scoop for next week's paper. He was his own press officer.Charlie's surgery was the front room of his terrace house in the ward he represented. He didn't receive a penny from the ratepayers in salary or expenses. Neither did any of his fellow councillors, who gave their time for free UNQUOTE The Real Librarian
  • Score: 0

12:03am Tue 27 Nov 12

Franklymydearidon'tgiveadamn says...

Big conversation - is this rocket science? C'mon, where have you been for the last few years - yes I am being generous giving you catch up and enlightenment time, I could hVe sId decades. We know how to talk and have a Big Conversation! Do you know how to listen but more importantly act? How About a Big Listen and a Big Act - of course that means getting yours together at last!
Look SBC it is a case of simple maths - we cannot afford your rates anymore. Show me the most competitive services you offer and I will consider keeping them. All else is out of to competitive tender. Lets start with the highest salaries and audit you to demonstrate the value £1 for £1 that you bring. No, don't give me your testimonial on that give me that of constituents, residents and payers of the funds SBC receives that pays your tier 1 and 2 salaries. It is time to really manage the money now as we are out of options. Stop with the consultants and temps And loopholes to creatively funding zero return projects. Big conversations have been happening for a long tome, you have been just to caught up with saving your salary and creating the next restructure to listen.
Big conversation - is this rocket science? C'mon, where have you been for the last few years - yes I am being generous giving you catch up and enlightenment time, I could hVe sId decades. We know how to talk and have a Big Conversation! Do you know how to listen but more importantly act? How About a Big Listen and a Big Act - of course that means getting yours together at last! Look SBC it is a case of simple maths - we cannot afford your rates anymore. Show me the most competitive services you offer and I will consider keeping them. All else is out of to competitive tender. Lets start with the highest salaries and audit you to demonstrate the value £1 for £1 that you bring. No, don't give me your testimonial on that give me that of constituents, residents and payers of the funds SBC receives that pays your tier 1 and 2 salaries. It is time to really manage the money now as we are out of options. Stop with the consultants and temps And loopholes to creatively funding zero return projects. Big conversations have been happening for a long tome, you have been just to caught up with saving your salary and creating the next restructure to listen. Franklymydearidon'tgiveadamn
  • Score: 0

8:01am Tue 27 Nov 12

Silver Lining says...

Russell Holland wrote:
Librarian, Councillors are elected to have specific responsibilities and are directly answerable to the electorate through elections. They have a specific role to represent people, so it is not the same as doing a voluntary job. Many Councillors are also governors - which is not paid. I think an allowance is appropriate for the reasons I gave earlier.

Silver Lining - the majority of Council spending is spent on social care for vulnerable people but most people in Swindon don't receive social care services. So people question what they receive, apart from the rubbish collection, what they get for paying their tax. So part of the reason for the big conversation is to raise awareness about what the Council actually does.
I understand that Councillor Holland but this is the point isn't it. Yes, the council probably does spend most of its money on social care but, according to that Infographic thingy you published, it may not be enough given that demand for council (and other) services is increasing but the current government is continually cutting funding.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that the funding gap will increase and services and support will reduce. Particularly so as Swindon receives one of the lowest funding settlements in the south from the government.

So, yes there needs to be a debate about how we get the best out of what we've got, but I would also like to see Swindon councillors and administration fighting for a better deal for the people of Swindon. If I'm honest, I don't feel that is the case. It feels to me that the council (being conservative controlled) is scared of rocking the boat with central government.

So it's not just about cutting services in my view, it should also be about our council fighting for the best for us, the local population.
[quote][p][bold]Russell Holland[/bold] wrote: Librarian, Councillors are elected to have specific responsibilities and are directly answerable to the electorate through elections. They have a specific role to represent people, so it is not the same as doing a voluntary job. Many Councillors are also governors - which is not paid. I think an allowance is appropriate for the reasons I gave earlier. Silver Lining - the majority of Council spending is spent on social care for vulnerable people but most people in Swindon don't receive social care services. So people question what they receive, apart from the rubbish collection, what they get for paying their tax. So part of the reason for the big conversation is to raise awareness about what the Council actually does.[/p][/quote]I understand that Councillor Holland but this is the point isn't it. Yes, the council probably does spend most of its money on social care but, according to that Infographic thingy you published, it may not be enough given that demand for council (and other) services is increasing but the current government is continually cutting funding. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that the funding gap will increase and services and support will reduce. Particularly so as Swindon receives one of the lowest funding settlements in the south from the government. So, yes there needs to be a debate about how we get the best out of what we've got, but I would also like to see Swindon councillors and administration fighting for a better deal for the people of Swindon. If I'm honest, I don't feel that is the case. It feels to me that the council (being conservative controlled) is scared of rocking the boat with central government. So it's not just about cutting services in my view, it should also be about our council fighting for the best for us, the local population. Silver Lining
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree