Raid in Cheney Manor revealed 1,700 cannabis plants

Insp Colin Conway with some of the plants

Insp Colin Conway with some of the plants

First published in News

A HUGE cannabis factory uncovered following a routine burglary call was larger than police first estimated and took more than a day to dismantle.

Officers worked solidly for hours to remove 1,700 plants from the disused industrial unit on Cheney Manor Industrial Estate this weekend, after response units made the discovery upon arriving at what they thought was a burglary late on Thursday night.

A police source said the street value of the class B drugs could now be more than £1m, as work continued to dismantle all electrical equipment rigged up as part of the production line the gang had established.

It is one of the biggest cannabis seizures in the town’s recent history, second only behind a raid at Poplar Farm, Wanborough, to smash a £25m drugs ring smuggling the class B substance in with fresh flowers.

Witnesses are still being sought as detectives try and trace who was responsible, as no one was on scene when officers arrived even though there were rudimentary living quarters.

Det Sgt Joe Saunders said: “We are pleased that we, along with the member of the public who phoned us, have stopped a huge amount of cannabis making it on to the streets of Swindon.

“We would like to hear from anybody who knows anything that could help our inquiry.”

Anyone with any information should contact Swindon CID on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Comments (25)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:06pm Mon 3 Dec 12

Babs Stanley says...

On 6th November 2012 Colorado and Washington state legalised cannabis for adults!

Are we so stupid in Britain that we cannot learn the lessons of history? If we prohibit something for which there is huge demand then the price rises and violent criminals become involved.

If we introduced a legally regulated system we would solve nearly all the problems around cannabis. Science proves how much safer it is than tobacco, alcohol, prescription medicines and all other recreational drugs. The evidence is that where legal regulation is introduced, consumption by children and all health and social harms are reduced.

Doctors would be able to prescribe one of the most effective medicines that has no serious side effects at all. At the moment the government has given GW Pharmaceuticals an illegal monopoly on cannabis so they make millions out of a medicine that you can grow in your greenhouse for virtually nothing.

Independent, expert research also indicates that a tax and regulate policy on cannabis would produce a net gain to the UK economy of up to £9.3 billion pa.

Our present policy on cannabis is irrational, irresponsible and dangerous. Surely, this inevitable and long overdue reform will now begin to roll out across the world?
On 6th November 2012 Colorado and Washington state legalised cannabis for adults! Are we so stupid in Britain that we cannot learn the lessons of history? If we prohibit something for which there is huge demand then the price rises and violent criminals become involved. If we introduced a legally regulated system we would solve nearly all the problems around cannabis. Science proves how much safer it is than tobacco, alcohol, prescription medicines and all other recreational drugs. The evidence is that where legal regulation is introduced, consumption by children and all health and social harms are reduced. Doctors would be able to prescribe one of the most effective medicines that has no serious side effects at all. At the moment the government has given GW Pharmaceuticals an illegal monopoly on cannabis so they make millions out of a medicine that you can grow in your greenhouse for virtually nothing. Independent, expert research also indicates that a tax and regulate policy on cannabis would produce a net gain to the UK economy of up to £9.3 billion pa. Our present policy on cannabis is irrational, irresponsible and dangerous. Surely, this inevitable and long overdue reform will now begin to roll out across the world? Babs Stanley
  • Score: 0

12:41pm Mon 3 Dec 12

Tonyblairisthedevil says...

Schmoke and a Pancake?
Schmoke and a Pancake? Tonyblairisthedevil
  • Score: 0

1:08pm Mon 3 Dec 12

eezyguy says...

Worth 1m!!!!! Not a chance, this is another example of the police and the press blowing things out of proportion for the sake of anti cannabis propaganda. Wake up britain, we should be looking into regulation not wasting valuable police time and public money persecuting people for growing a plant. Yes 1700 plants will raise eyebrows but if regulated there wouldnt be the need for commercial type grows, we could grow say 6-10 plants in our own homes for our own use, this would go some way to stop criminal gangs making money to fund yet more crime. Regulation and de-criminalisation is surely the way forward. (In my opinion).
Worth 1m!!!!! Not a chance, this is another example of the police and the press blowing things out of proportion for the sake of anti cannabis propaganda. Wake up britain, we should be looking into regulation not wasting valuable police time and public money persecuting people for growing a plant. Yes 1700 plants will raise eyebrows but if regulated there wouldnt be the need for commercial type grows, we could grow say 6-10 plants in our own homes for our own use, this would go some way to stop criminal gangs making money to fund yet more crime. Regulation and de-criminalisation is surely the way forward. (In my opinion). eezyguy
  • Score: 0

1:46pm Mon 3 Dec 12

house on the hill says...

"""Doctors would be able to prescribe one of the most effective medicines that has no serious side effects at all.""""

Apart from all the health risks that go with smoking you mean!

And you think the dealers would just fade away instead of looking at other ways of making money you are deluded and have clearly been smoking far too much of the product you so clearly use and support.

Apart from an admission that we cant police it which is hardly the way to run a legal system (if we cant control it make it legal) it would no doubt increase the number of drug takers not reduce it. We have enough trouble from legalised drugs in this country as it is, we dont need to increase that number, we need to try and educate people that you actually can "have a good time" without the need to resort to mind altering drugs rather than using your intelligence or imagination to enjoy the "real" world.

Legalising it is not the answer, stiffer penalites are needed for those who break the law instead of this "softly" approach that people just think is a joke and clearly is.
"""Doctors would be able to prescribe one of the most effective medicines that has no serious side effects at all."""" Apart from all the health risks that go with smoking you mean! And you think the dealers would just fade away instead of looking at other ways of making money you are deluded and have clearly been smoking far too much of the product you so clearly use and support. Apart from an admission that we cant police it which is hardly the way to run a legal system (if we cant control it make it legal) it would no doubt increase the number of drug takers not reduce it. We have enough trouble from legalised drugs in this country as it is, we dont need to increase that number, we need to try and educate people that you actually can "have a good time" without the need to resort to mind altering drugs rather than using your intelligence or imagination to enjoy the "real" world. Legalising it is not the answer, stiffer penalites are needed for those who break the law instead of this "softly" approach that people just think is a joke and clearly is. house on the hill
  • Score: 0

1:54pm Mon 3 Dec 12

Always Grumpy says...

Babs Stanley wrote:
On 6th November 2012 Colorado and Washington state legalised cannabis for adults!

Are we so stupid in Britain that we cannot learn the lessons of history? If we prohibit something for which there is huge demand then the price rises and violent criminals become involved.

If we introduced a legally regulated system we would solve nearly all the problems around cannabis. Science proves how much safer it is than tobacco, alcohol, prescription medicines and all other recreational drugs. The evidence is that where legal regulation is introduced, consumption by children and all health and social harms are reduced.

Doctors would be able to prescribe one of the most effective medicines that has no serious side effects at all. At the moment the government has given GW Pharmaceuticals an illegal monopoly on cannabis so they make millions out of a medicine that you can grow in your greenhouse for virtually nothing.

Independent, expert research also indicates that a tax and regulate policy on cannabis would produce a net gain to the UK economy of up to £9.3 billion pa.

Our present policy on cannabis is irrational, irresponsible and dangerous. Surely, this inevitable and long overdue reform will now begin to roll out across the world?
Fortunately, you're in a minority with your misguided beliefs, which means, hopefully, these drugs will never be legalised.
What should be done however, is to take a much, much tougher line with drug dealers and users. Full life imprisonment should be imposed on each and every drug dealer caught as a good starting point.
[quote][p][bold]Babs Stanley[/bold] wrote: On 6th November 2012 Colorado and Washington state legalised cannabis for adults! Are we so stupid in Britain that we cannot learn the lessons of history? If we prohibit something for which there is huge demand then the price rises and violent criminals become involved. If we introduced a legally regulated system we would solve nearly all the problems around cannabis. Science proves how much safer it is than tobacco, alcohol, prescription medicines and all other recreational drugs. The evidence is that where legal regulation is introduced, consumption by children and all health and social harms are reduced. Doctors would be able to prescribe one of the most effective medicines that has no serious side effects at all. At the moment the government has given GW Pharmaceuticals an illegal monopoly on cannabis so they make millions out of a medicine that you can grow in your greenhouse for virtually nothing. Independent, expert research also indicates that a tax and regulate policy on cannabis would produce a net gain to the UK economy of up to £9.3 billion pa. Our present policy on cannabis is irrational, irresponsible and dangerous. Surely, this inevitable and long overdue reform will now begin to roll out across the world?[/p][/quote]Fortunately, you're in a minority with your misguided beliefs, which means, hopefully, these drugs will never be legalised. What should be done however, is to take a much, much tougher line with drug dealers and users. Full life imprisonment should be imposed on each and every drug dealer caught as a good starting point. Always Grumpy
  • Score: 0

2:15pm Mon 3 Dec 12

Babs Stanley says...

Always Grumpy wrote:
Babs Stanley wrote:
On 6th November 2012 Colorado and Washington state legalised cannabis for adults!

Are we so stupid in Britain that we cannot learn the lessons of history? If we prohibit something for which there is huge demand then the price rises and violent criminals become involved.

If we introduced a legally regulated system we would solve nearly all the problems around cannabis. Science proves how much safer it is than tobacco, alcohol, prescription medicines and all other recreational drugs. The evidence is that where legal regulation is introduced, consumption by children and all health and social harms are reduced.

Doctors would be able to prescribe one of the most effective medicines that has no serious side effects at all. At the moment the government has given GW Pharmaceuticals an illegal monopoly on cannabis so they make millions out of a medicine that you can grow in your greenhouse for virtually nothing.

Independent, expert research also indicates that a tax and regulate policy on cannabis would produce a net gain to the UK economy of up to £9.3 billion pa.

Our present policy on cannabis is irrational, irresponsible and dangerous. Surely, this inevitable and long overdue reform will now begin to roll out across the world?
Fortunately, you're in a minority with your misguided beliefs, which means, hopefully, these drugs will never be legalised.
What should be done however, is to take a much, much tougher line with drug dealers and users. Full life imprisonment should be imposed on each and every drug dealer caught as a good starting point.
You are incorrect. In polls it is now clear that more than 70% of the British public support legal regulation of cannabis.
[quote][p][bold]Always Grumpy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Babs Stanley[/bold] wrote: On 6th November 2012 Colorado and Washington state legalised cannabis for adults! Are we so stupid in Britain that we cannot learn the lessons of history? If we prohibit something for which there is huge demand then the price rises and violent criminals become involved. If we introduced a legally regulated system we would solve nearly all the problems around cannabis. Science proves how much safer it is than tobacco, alcohol, prescription medicines and all other recreational drugs. The evidence is that where legal regulation is introduced, consumption by children and all health and social harms are reduced. Doctors would be able to prescribe one of the most effective medicines that has no serious side effects at all. At the moment the government has given GW Pharmaceuticals an illegal monopoly on cannabis so they make millions out of a medicine that you can grow in your greenhouse for virtually nothing. Independent, expert research also indicates that a tax and regulate policy on cannabis would produce a net gain to the UK economy of up to £9.3 billion pa. Our present policy on cannabis is irrational, irresponsible and dangerous. Surely, this inevitable and long overdue reform will now begin to roll out across the world?[/p][/quote]Fortunately, you're in a minority with your misguided beliefs, which means, hopefully, these drugs will never be legalised. What should be done however, is to take a much, much tougher line with drug dealers and users. Full life imprisonment should be imposed on each and every drug dealer caught as a good starting point.[/p][/quote]You are incorrect. In polls it is now clear that more than 70% of the British public support legal regulation of cannabis. Babs Stanley
  • Score: 0

2:18pm Mon 3 Dec 12

Tonyblairisthedevil says...

Crepe and a waffle?
Crepe and a waffle? Tonyblairisthedevil
  • Score: 0

2:19pm Mon 3 Dec 12

Always Grumpy says...

Babs Stanley wrote:
Always Grumpy wrote:
Babs Stanley wrote:
On 6th November 2012 Colorado and Washington state legalised cannabis for adults!

Are we so stupid in Britain that we cannot learn the lessons of history? If we prohibit something for which there is huge demand then the price rises and violent criminals become involved.

If we introduced a legally regulated system we would solve nearly all the problems around cannabis. Science proves how much safer it is than tobacco, alcohol, prescription medicines and all other recreational drugs. The evidence is that where legal regulation is introduced, consumption by children and all health and social harms are reduced.

Doctors would be able to prescribe one of the most effective medicines that has no serious side effects at all. At the moment the government has given GW Pharmaceuticals an illegal monopoly on cannabis so they make millions out of a medicine that you can grow in your greenhouse for virtually nothing.

Independent, expert research also indicates that a tax and regulate policy on cannabis would produce a net gain to the UK economy of up to £9.3 billion pa.

Our present policy on cannabis is irrational, irresponsible and dangerous. Surely, this inevitable and long overdue reform will now begin to roll out across the world?
Fortunately, you're in a minority with your misguided beliefs, which means, hopefully, these drugs will never be legalised.
What should be done however, is to take a much, much tougher line with drug dealers and users. Full life imprisonment should be imposed on each and every drug dealer caught as a good starting point.
You are incorrect. In polls it is now clear that more than 70% of the British public support legal regulation of cannabis.
I do not believe you. Perhaps 70% of cannabis users support it but not 70% of the entire population of this country.
Show me the evidence to support your claim?
[quote][p][bold]Babs Stanley[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Always Grumpy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Babs Stanley[/bold] wrote: On 6th November 2012 Colorado and Washington state legalised cannabis for adults! Are we so stupid in Britain that we cannot learn the lessons of history? If we prohibit something for which there is huge demand then the price rises and violent criminals become involved. If we introduced a legally regulated system we would solve nearly all the problems around cannabis. Science proves how much safer it is than tobacco, alcohol, prescription medicines and all other recreational drugs. The evidence is that where legal regulation is introduced, consumption by children and all health and social harms are reduced. Doctors would be able to prescribe one of the most effective medicines that has no serious side effects at all. At the moment the government has given GW Pharmaceuticals an illegal monopoly on cannabis so they make millions out of a medicine that you can grow in your greenhouse for virtually nothing. Independent, expert research also indicates that a tax and regulate policy on cannabis would produce a net gain to the UK economy of up to £9.3 billion pa. Our present policy on cannabis is irrational, irresponsible and dangerous. Surely, this inevitable and long overdue reform will now begin to roll out across the world?[/p][/quote]Fortunately, you're in a minority with your misguided beliefs, which means, hopefully, these drugs will never be legalised. What should be done however, is to take a much, much tougher line with drug dealers and users. Full life imprisonment should be imposed on each and every drug dealer caught as a good starting point.[/p][/quote]You are incorrect. In polls it is now clear that more than 70% of the British public support legal regulation of cannabis.[/p][/quote]I do not believe you. Perhaps 70% of cannabis users support it but not 70% of the entire population of this country. Show me the evidence to support your claim? Always Grumpy
  • Score: 0

2:41pm Mon 3 Dec 12

Babs Stanley says...

Always Grumpy wrote:
Babs Stanley wrote:
Always Grumpy wrote:
Babs Stanley wrote:
On 6th November 2012 Colorado and Washington state legalised cannabis for adults!

Are we so stupid in Britain that we cannot learn the lessons of history? If we prohibit something for which there is huge demand then the price rises and violent criminals become involved.

If we introduced a legally regulated system we would solve nearly all the problems around cannabis. Science proves how much safer it is than tobacco, alcohol, prescription medicines and all other recreational drugs. The evidence is that where legal regulation is introduced, consumption by children and all health and social harms are reduced.

Doctors would be able to prescribe one of the most effective medicines that has no serious side effects at all. At the moment the government has given GW Pharmaceuticals an illegal monopoly on cannabis so they make millions out of a medicine that you can grow in your greenhouse for virtually nothing.

Independent, expert research also indicates that a tax and regulate policy on cannabis would produce a net gain to the UK economy of up to £9.3 billion pa.

Our present policy on cannabis is irrational, irresponsible and dangerous. Surely, this inevitable and long overdue reform will now begin to roll out across the world?
Fortunately, you're in a minority with your misguided beliefs, which means, hopefully, these drugs will never be legalised.
What should be done however, is to take a much, much tougher line with drug dealers and users. Full life imprisonment should be imposed on each and every drug dealer caught as a good starting point.
You are incorrect. In polls it is now clear that more than 70% of the British public support legal regulation of cannabis.
I do not believe you. Perhaps 70% of cannabis users support it but not 70% of the entire population of this country.
Show me the evidence to support your claim?
One of many polls showing that the public actively support legal regulation of cannabis and reform of our irrational, unscientific drugs policy:

http://transform-dru
gs.blogspot.co.uk/20
10/07/new-poll-shows
-70-support-for-lega
l.html
[quote][p][bold]Always Grumpy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Babs Stanley[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Always Grumpy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Babs Stanley[/bold] wrote: On 6th November 2012 Colorado and Washington state legalised cannabis for adults! Are we so stupid in Britain that we cannot learn the lessons of history? If we prohibit something for which there is huge demand then the price rises and violent criminals become involved. If we introduced a legally regulated system we would solve nearly all the problems around cannabis. Science proves how much safer it is than tobacco, alcohol, prescription medicines and all other recreational drugs. The evidence is that where legal regulation is introduced, consumption by children and all health and social harms are reduced. Doctors would be able to prescribe one of the most effective medicines that has no serious side effects at all. At the moment the government has given GW Pharmaceuticals an illegal monopoly on cannabis so they make millions out of a medicine that you can grow in your greenhouse for virtually nothing. Independent, expert research also indicates that a tax and regulate policy on cannabis would produce a net gain to the UK economy of up to £9.3 billion pa. Our present policy on cannabis is irrational, irresponsible and dangerous. Surely, this inevitable and long overdue reform will now begin to roll out across the world?[/p][/quote]Fortunately, you're in a minority with your misguided beliefs, which means, hopefully, these drugs will never be legalised. What should be done however, is to take a much, much tougher line with drug dealers and users. Full life imprisonment should be imposed on each and every drug dealer caught as a good starting point.[/p][/quote]You are incorrect. In polls it is now clear that more than 70% of the British public support legal regulation of cannabis.[/p][/quote]I do not believe you. Perhaps 70% of cannabis users support it but not 70% of the entire population of this country. Show me the evidence to support your claim?[/p][/quote]One of many polls showing that the public actively support legal regulation of cannabis and reform of our irrational, unscientific drugs policy: http://transform-dru gs.blogspot.co.uk/20 10/07/new-poll-shows -70-support-for-lega l.html Babs Stanley
  • Score: 0

2:43pm Mon 3 Dec 12

Babs Stanley says...

And another from YouGov:

http://www.thesun.co
.uk/sol/homepage/new
s/politics/4416608/.
html
And another from YouGov: http://www.thesun.co .uk/sol/homepage/new s/politics/4416608/. html Babs Stanley
  • Score: 0

3:46pm Mon 3 Dec 12

twasadawf says...

good piece of police work eh
good piece of police work eh twasadawf
  • Score: 0

4:52pm Mon 3 Dec 12

Amberflame says...

Tonyblairisthedevil wrote:
Schmoke and a Pancake?
"Flapjack and a cigarette?"
[quote][p][bold]Tonyblairisthedevil[/bold] wrote: Schmoke and a Pancake?[/p][/quote]"Flapjack and a cigarette?" Amberflame
  • Score: 0

4:54pm Mon 3 Dec 12

Always Grumpy says...

Babs Stanley wrote:
Always Grumpy wrote:
Babs Stanley wrote:
Always Grumpy wrote:
Babs Stanley wrote:
On 6th November 2012 Colorado and Washington state legalised cannabis for adults!

Are we so stupid in Britain that we cannot learn the lessons of history? If we prohibit something for which there is huge demand then the price rises and violent criminals become involved.

If we introduced a legally regulated system we would solve nearly all the problems around cannabis. Science proves how much safer it is than tobacco, alcohol, prescription medicines and all other recreational drugs. The evidence is that where legal regulation is introduced, consumption by children and all health and social harms are reduced.

Doctors would be able to prescribe one of the most effective medicines that has no serious side effects at all. At the moment the government has given GW Pharmaceuticals an illegal monopoly on cannabis so they make millions out of a medicine that you can grow in your greenhouse for virtually nothing.

Independent, expert research also indicates that a tax and regulate policy on cannabis would produce a net gain to the UK economy of up to £9.3 billion pa.

Our present policy on cannabis is irrational, irresponsible and dangerous. Surely, this inevitable and long overdue reform will now begin to roll out across the world?
Fortunately, you're in a minority with your misguided beliefs, which means, hopefully, these drugs will never be legalised.
What should be done however, is to take a much, much tougher line with drug dealers and users. Full life imprisonment should be imposed on each and every drug dealer caught as a good starting point.
You are incorrect. In polls it is now clear that more than 70% of the British public support legal regulation of cannabis.
I do not believe you. Perhaps 70% of cannabis users support it but not 70% of the entire population of this country.
Show me the evidence to support your claim?
One of many polls showing that the public actively support legal regulation of cannabis and reform of our irrational, unscientific drugs policy:

http://transform-dru

gs.blogspot.co.uk/20

10/07/new-poll-shows

-70-support-for-lega

l.html
A survey from a pro drugs group - I hardly think that represents 60+ miliion UK residents.
[quote][p][bold]Babs Stanley[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Always Grumpy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Babs Stanley[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Always Grumpy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Babs Stanley[/bold] wrote: On 6th November 2012 Colorado and Washington state legalised cannabis for adults! Are we so stupid in Britain that we cannot learn the lessons of history? If we prohibit something for which there is huge demand then the price rises and violent criminals become involved. If we introduced a legally regulated system we would solve nearly all the problems around cannabis. Science proves how much safer it is than tobacco, alcohol, prescription medicines and all other recreational drugs. The evidence is that where legal regulation is introduced, consumption by children and all health and social harms are reduced. Doctors would be able to prescribe one of the most effective medicines that has no serious side effects at all. At the moment the government has given GW Pharmaceuticals an illegal monopoly on cannabis so they make millions out of a medicine that you can grow in your greenhouse for virtually nothing. Independent, expert research also indicates that a tax and regulate policy on cannabis would produce a net gain to the UK economy of up to £9.3 billion pa. Our present policy on cannabis is irrational, irresponsible and dangerous. Surely, this inevitable and long overdue reform will now begin to roll out across the world?[/p][/quote]Fortunately, you're in a minority with your misguided beliefs, which means, hopefully, these drugs will never be legalised. What should be done however, is to take a much, much tougher line with drug dealers and users. Full life imprisonment should be imposed on each and every drug dealer caught as a good starting point.[/p][/quote]You are incorrect. In polls it is now clear that more than 70% of the British public support legal regulation of cannabis.[/p][/quote]I do not believe you. Perhaps 70% of cannabis users support it but not 70% of the entire population of this country. Show me the evidence to support your claim?[/p][/quote]One of many polls showing that the public actively support legal regulation of cannabis and reform of our irrational, unscientific drugs policy: http://transform-dru gs.blogspot.co.uk/20 10/07/new-poll-shows -70-support-for-lega l.html[/p][/quote]A survey from a pro drugs group - I hardly think that represents 60+ miliion UK residents. Always Grumpy
  • Score: 0

4:55pm Mon 3 Dec 12

Amberflame says...

Tonyblairisthedevil wrote:
Crepe and a waffle?
Come on get it right!

"Cigar and a waffle?" or
"Pipe and a Crepe?"

You can't have both!!
[quote][p][bold]Tonyblairisthedevil[/bold] wrote: Crepe and a waffle?[/p][/quote]Come on get it right! "Cigar and a waffle?" or "Pipe and a Crepe?" You can't have both!! Amberflame
  • Score: 0

4:57pm Mon 3 Dec 12

Always Grumpy says...

Babs Stanley wrote:
And another from YouGov:

http://www.thesun.co

.uk/sol/homepage/new

s/politics/4416608/.

html
A Sun survey - that's a laugh. I would think you would need to be on drugs to read the Sun - that's if Sun readers can actually read the people. They probably just look at the pictures and the men especially go straight to page 3 and then move on to the back page to look at the sports photographs.
[quote][p][bold]Babs Stanley[/bold] wrote: And another from YouGov: http://www.thesun.co .uk/sol/homepage/new s/politics/4416608/. html[/p][/quote]A Sun survey - that's a laugh. I would think you would need to be on drugs to read the Sun - that's if Sun readers can actually read the people. They probably just look at the pictures and the men especially go straight to page 3 and then move on to the back page to look at the sports photographs. Always Grumpy
  • Score: 0

6:35pm Mon 3 Dec 12

Babs Stanley says...

@Always Grumpy

Also always stupid. Both the LDDPR and the Sun survey were carried out by reputable independent polling organisations.

Your attempted dismissal of this important evidence is transparent. Face it, you're wrong - and you're also poorly informed and out of touch.
@Always Grumpy Also always stupid. Both the LDDPR and the Sun survey were carried out by reputable independent polling organisations. Your attempted dismissal of this important evidence is transparent. Face it, you're wrong - and you're also poorly informed and out of touch. Babs Stanley
  • Score: 0

7:02pm Mon 3 Dec 12

Always Grumpy says...

Babs Stanley wrote:
@Always Grumpy

Also always stupid. Both the LDDPR and the Sun survey were carried out by reputable independent polling organisations.

Your attempted dismissal of this important evidence is transparent. Face it, you're wrong - and you're also poorly informed and out of touch.
Polls can say whatever the people paying for it want it to say.
Anyone with any intelligence knows that - not you obviously, with a brain addled by drugs.
I'll just let you wallow in your drug induced ignorance.
[quote][p][bold]Babs Stanley[/bold] wrote: @Always Grumpy Also always stupid. Both the LDDPR and the Sun survey were carried out by reputable independent polling organisations. Your attempted dismissal of this important evidence is transparent. Face it, you're wrong - and you're also poorly informed and out of touch.[/p][/quote]Polls can say whatever the people paying for it want it to say. Anyone with any intelligence knows that - not you obviously, with a brain addled by drugs. I'll just let you wallow in your drug induced ignorance. Always Grumpy
  • Score: 0

7:43pm Mon 3 Dec 12

Babs Stanley says...

Always Grumpy wrote:
Babs Stanley wrote:
@Always Grumpy

Also always stupid. Both the LDDPR and the Sun survey were carried out by reputable independent polling organisations.

Your attempted dismissal of this important evidence is transparent. Face it, you're wrong - and you're also poorly informed and out of touch.
Polls can say whatever the people paying for it want it to say.
Anyone with any intelligence knows that - not you obviously, with a brain addled by drugs.
I'll just let you wallow in your drug induced ignorance.
QED
[quote][p][bold]Always Grumpy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Babs Stanley[/bold] wrote: @Always Grumpy Also always stupid. Both the LDDPR and the Sun survey were carried out by reputable independent polling organisations. Your attempted dismissal of this important evidence is transparent. Face it, you're wrong - and you're also poorly informed and out of touch.[/p][/quote]Polls can say whatever the people paying for it want it to say. Anyone with any intelligence knows that - not you obviously, with a brain addled by drugs. I'll just let you wallow in your drug induced ignorance.[/p][/quote]QED Babs Stanley
  • Score: 0

10:46pm Mon 3 Dec 12

Phantom Poster says...

Babs Stanley wrote:
@Always Grumpy

Also always stupid. Both the LDDPR and the Sun survey were carried out by reputable independent polling organisations.

Your attempted dismissal of this important evidence is transparent. Face it, you're wrong - and you're also poorly informed and out of touch.
Polls are inherently biased and can be worse than useless, unless you are scientifically trained and understand the methodologies behind them.

Newspapers invariably have arts educated graduates presenting statistics in a sensationalist way (that's what they are paid for) without any scientific understanding.

I would suggest reading the book "Bad Science" to understand how the public are mislead by the ignorance of newspaper reporters: http://www.badscienc
e.net/
[quote][p][bold]Babs Stanley[/bold] wrote: @Always Grumpy Also always stupid. Both the LDDPR and the Sun survey were carried out by reputable independent polling organisations. Your attempted dismissal of this important evidence is transparent. Face it, you're wrong - and you're also poorly informed and out of touch.[/p][/quote]Polls are inherently biased and can be worse than useless, unless you are scientifically trained and understand the methodologies behind them. Newspapers invariably have arts educated graduates presenting statistics in a sensationalist way (that's what they are paid for) without any scientific understanding. I would suggest reading the book "Bad Science" to understand how the public are mislead by the ignorance of newspaper reporters: http://www.badscienc e.net/ Phantom Poster
  • Score: 0

10:53pm Mon 3 Dec 12

Phantom Poster says...

Interesting video here:

http://www.ted.com/t
alks/ben_goldacre_ba
ttling_bad_science.h
tml
Interesting video here: http://www.ted.com/t alks/ben_goldacre_ba ttling_bad_science.h tml Phantom Poster
  • Score: 0

8:22am Tue 4 Dec 12

I 2 Could B says...

@Babs Stanley: while I think your argument is largely sound, one aspect that always intrigues me is that, on the one hand, you correctly state that legalisation of cannabis would mean that anyone who wanted to could very easily grown their own... but yet you then go on to state that the government could make c.£10billion by taxing the sale of it.

Surely, if people can grow their own for next to nothing, why would they pay for the goods, which would have to include a profit margin, transport costs and, of course, tax (which would be a minimum of 20% VAT plus duty - which could well add a further 50%, or more, as they do with alcohol and tobacco).
@Babs Stanley: while I think your argument is largely sound, one aspect that always intrigues me is that, on the one hand, you correctly state that legalisation of cannabis would mean that anyone who wanted to could very easily grown their own... but yet you then go on to state that the government could make c.£10billion by taxing the sale of it. [p] Surely, if people can grow their own for next to nothing, why would they pay for the goods, which would have to include a profit margin, transport costs and, of course, tax (which would be a minimum of 20% VAT plus duty - which could well add a further 50%, or more, as they do with alcohol and tobacco). I 2 Could B
  • Score: 0

8:29am Tue 4 Dec 12

I 2 Could B says...

BTW, if you look at one of the lead stories on this website today, you'll note that Swindon's courts essentially believe cannabis and dealing drugs is legal.

A chap gets caught smoking dope in public with others and then admits to being a fairly big time dealer - with over £1500 of the stuff nicely prepped to sell - and strolls free from court. Total waste of police time and our money and the judge has sent the message that possession and dealing of cannabis is perfectly acceptable in Swindon.
BTW, if you look at one of the lead stories on this website today, you'll note that Swindon's courts essentially believe cannabis and dealing drugs is legal. [p] A chap gets caught smoking dope in public with others and then admits to being a fairly big time dealer - with over £1500 of the stuff nicely prepped to sell - and strolls free from court. Total waste of police time and our money and the judge has sent the message that possession and dealing of cannabis is perfectly acceptable in Swindon. I 2 Could B
  • Score: 0

9:29am Tue 4 Dec 12

Babs Stanley says...

I 2 Could B wrote:
@Babs Stanley: while I think your argument is largely sound, one aspect that always intrigues me is that, on the one hand, you correctly state that legalisation of cannabis would mean that anyone who wanted to could very easily grown their own... but yet you then go on to state that the government could make c.£10billion by taxing the sale of it.

Surely, if people can grow their own for next to nothing, why would they pay for the goods, which would have to include a profit margin, transport costs and, of course, tax (which would be a minimum of 20% VAT plus duty - which could well add a further 50%, or more, as they do with alcohol and tobacco).
I suggest you look at the excellent study "Taxing the UK Cannabis Market, Atha et al 2011".

This paints a very clear picture of a regulated cannabis market based on good solid evidence. I think it is clear that in such a market growing your own would become an esoteric pursuit just as home brewing or winemaking is Once a choice of consistent, quality products is available most people would choose this form of supply.

http://www.clear-uk.
org/wp-content/uploa
ds/2011/09/TaxUKCan.
pdf
[quote][p][bold]I 2 Could B[/bold] wrote: @Babs Stanley: while I think your argument is largely sound, one aspect that always intrigues me is that, on the one hand, you correctly state that legalisation of cannabis would mean that anyone who wanted to could very easily grown their own... but yet you then go on to state that the government could make c.£10billion by taxing the sale of it. [p] Surely, if people can grow their own for next to nothing, why would they pay for the goods, which would have to include a profit margin, transport costs and, of course, tax (which would be a minimum of 20% VAT plus duty - which could well add a further 50%, or more, as they do with alcohol and tobacco).[/p][/quote]I suggest you look at the excellent study "Taxing the UK Cannabis Market, Atha et al 2011". This paints a very clear picture of a regulated cannabis market based on good solid evidence. I think it is clear that in such a market growing your own would become an esoteric pursuit just as home brewing or winemaking is Once a choice of consistent, quality products is available most people would choose this form of supply. http://www.clear-uk. org/wp-content/uploa ds/2011/09/TaxUKCan. pdf Babs Stanley
  • Score: 0

9:33am Tue 4 Dec 12

Always Grumpy says...

Babs Stanley wrote:
I 2 Could B wrote:
@Babs Stanley: while I think your argument is largely sound, one aspect that always intrigues me is that, on the one hand, you correctly state that legalisation of cannabis would mean that anyone who wanted to could very easily grown their own... but yet you then go on to state that the government could make c.£10billion by taxing the sale of it.

Surely, if people can grow their own for next to nothing, why would they pay for the goods, which would have to include a profit margin, transport costs and, of course, tax (which would be a minimum of 20% VAT plus duty - which could well add a further 50%, or more, as they do with alcohol and tobacco).
I suggest you look at the excellent study "Taxing the UK Cannabis Market, Atha et al 2011".

This paints a very clear picture of a regulated cannabis market based on good solid evidence. I think it is clear that in such a market growing your own would become an esoteric pursuit just as home brewing or winemaking is Once a choice of consistent, quality products is available most people would choose this form of supply.

http://www.clear-uk.

org/wp-content/uploa

ds/2011/09/TaxUKCan.

pdf
I suggest you read some NHS reports on the dangers of cannabis use....
http://www.nhs.uk/Li
vewell/drugs/Pages/C
annabisdangers.aspx
[quote][p][bold]Babs Stanley[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]I 2 Could B[/bold] wrote: @Babs Stanley: while I think your argument is largely sound, one aspect that always intrigues me is that, on the one hand, you correctly state that legalisation of cannabis would mean that anyone who wanted to could very easily grown their own... but yet you then go on to state that the government could make c.£10billion by taxing the sale of it. [p] Surely, if people can grow their own for next to nothing, why would they pay for the goods, which would have to include a profit margin, transport costs and, of course, tax (which would be a minimum of 20% VAT plus duty - which could well add a further 50%, or more, as they do with alcohol and tobacco).[/p][/quote]I suggest you look at the excellent study "Taxing the UK Cannabis Market, Atha et al 2011". This paints a very clear picture of a regulated cannabis market based on good solid evidence. I think it is clear that in such a market growing your own would become an esoteric pursuit just as home brewing or winemaking is Once a choice of consistent, quality products is available most people would choose this form of supply. http://www.clear-uk. org/wp-content/uploa ds/2011/09/TaxUKCan. pdf[/p][/quote]I suggest you read some NHS reports on the dangers of cannabis use.... http://www.nhs.uk/Li vewell/drugs/Pages/C annabisdangers.aspx Always Grumpy
  • Score: 0

1:57pm Tue 4 Dec 12

house on the hill says...

Yet another Govt plan to increase tax from the sale of somethnig not realising it will cost more to the taxpayer in other ways, increased NHS costs, anti social behaviour etc. Personally I dont know of anyone who thinks it should be legalised and the muppets who seem to need a mind altering drug instead of using their brains to find real ways of enjoying themsleves should be treated as law breakers and dealt with accordingly.
Yet another Govt plan to increase tax from the sale of somethnig not realising it will cost more to the taxpayer in other ways, increased NHS costs, anti social behaviour etc. Personally I dont know of anyone who thinks it should be legalised and the muppets who seem to need a mind altering drug instead of using their brains to find real ways of enjoying themsleves should be treated as law breakers and dealt with accordingly. house on the hill
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree