Swindon AdvertiserRetirement homes plan wins support (From Swindon Advertiser)

Get involved! Send photos, video, news & views. Text SWINDON NEWS to 80360 or email us

Retirement homes plan wins support

Swindon Advertiser: Coun Vera Tomlinson and MP Justin Tomlinson at the site behind the Blunsdon Arms Coun Vera Tomlinson and MP Justin Tomlinson at the site behind the Blunsdon Arms

PLANS for a retirement home in North Swindon have been submitted to the council for approval.

If developers McCarthy &Stone are given the go-ahead, the 24 one and two-bedroomed apartments will be built on the vacant land adjacent to the Blunsdon Arms, in Lady Lane.

The plans were submitted following consultation with the local community and have already been altered after members of the public said eight parking spaces would not be sufficient.

It has since been increased to 14 following pressure from residents and ward councillors. The site earmarked for the development has existing permission for a 40-room hotel.

A planning application had also been submitted to redevelop the site for a food outlet, but it was withdrawn following backlash from residents and MP Justin Tomlinson, who was a councillor for the area at the time.

To understand residents’ views and to receive feedback on the proposals, McCarthy & Stone offered residents and local representatives early meetings and invited more than 1,000 people to a public exhibition in December The proposed redevelopment has had strong support, with more than 90 per cent of the feedback received approving of the proposal in principle, particularly the improvement of the vacant site.

McCarthy & Stone’s regional MD Shane Paull, said: “We are encouraged by the level of support that we have received for our proposals and have now submitted a planning application to Swindon Council.

“Following discussions with the community and the comments received, we recognised that parking provision was a key priority for residents. Therefore we have increased the level of car parking provision by 30 per cent.

“It is important that a community meets the housing needs of all its residents, and this development would help meet a growing, housing need in the area.

“ In Swindon specifically 13.8 per cent of its population is currently aged over 65, with the expected population of this age group set to increase to 57,000 by 2035.

“Introducing this form of housing to an area has benefits for the wider community as well.

“For example, on average each development represents an investment of £5m into the local economy and on moving, residents in later life tend to release family-sized housing, which helps to stimulate the housing chain and enable young families and first time buyers to have a better opportunity within the housing market.”

North Swindon MP Justin Tomlinson welcomed the application.

He said: “The local community support the principal of this development as it finally would remove the long-standing threat of a fast food take away, which has previously been fought off.

“However, there was concerns about whether adequate parking provision was being made and during the consultation period, residents and councillors rightly raised their concerns about this. The developers will have to demonstrate that these concerns have been addressed.”

Anyone who was unable to attend the public exhibition but who would like further information on the proposals should visit www.mccarthyandstone- consultation.co.uk/swindon.

Comments (25)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:16am Tue 26 Feb 13

LordAshOfTheBrake says...

In principle, fine. However 14 spaces is still far too few. Should be at least 30 to cover the residents themselves, health visitors, family and friends visiting and so on. I foresee weekends being very busy...!

1 allocated space + 6 communal parking spaces should be the minimum.


Will the pub allow its car park to be used as an overflow...? That car park is often full already.


Will the developers guarantee that restrictions will be placed on purchasers to ensure that only owners with an allocated space are allowed to park on the development...?


A guarantee from the council and the police (not that it would be worth much) that they will enforce parking and driving standards would be something....!
In principle, fine. However 14 spaces is still far too few. Should be at least 30 to cover the residents themselves, health visitors, family and friends visiting and so on. I foresee weekends being very busy...! 1 allocated space + 6 communal parking spaces should be the minimum. Will the pub allow its car park to be used as an overflow...? That car park is often full already. Will the developers guarantee that restrictions will be placed on purchasers to ensure that only owners with an allocated space are allowed to park on the development...? A guarantee from the council and the police (not that it would be worth much) that they will enforce parking and driving standards would be something....! LordAshOfTheBrake
  • Score: 0

10:17am Tue 26 Feb 13

LordAshOfTheBrake says...

That should be 1 allocated space per dwelling + 6 communal.
That should be 1 allocated space per dwelling + 6 communal. LordAshOfTheBrake
  • Score: 0

11:19am Tue 26 Feb 13

StillPav says...

24 flats and 14 parking spaces. What could possible go wrong?
24 flats and 14 parking spaces. What could possible go wrong? StillPav
  • Score: 0

1:08pm Tue 26 Feb 13

house on the hill says...

"""StillPav says...
11:19am Tue 26 Feb 13

24 flats and 14 parking spaces. What could possible go wrong?”"""

No different to all the other developments agreed in Swindon. Maximising profit with no thought of practicality of living with the decision.
"""StillPav says... 11:19am Tue 26 Feb 13 24 flats and 14 parking spaces. What could possible go wrong?”""" No different to all the other developments agreed in Swindon. Maximising profit with no thought of practicality of living with the decision. house on the hill
  • Score: 0

2:36pm Tue 26 Feb 13

itsamess3 says...

Most OAP's want to leave their houses to family. These schemes mean only pensioners can buy them-complete with binding service contracts.
One person i know sold their home and ended up having to take up a mortgage for 30k at 70-will this happen here?
Most OAP's want to leave their houses to family. These schemes mean only pensioners can buy them-complete with binding service contracts. One person i know sold their home and ended up having to take up a mortgage for 30k at 70-will this happen here? itsamess3
  • Score: 0

3:04pm Tue 26 Feb 13

LordAshOfTheBrake says...

I'm pretty sure the existing permission for the hotel has lapsed as well. Perhaps the adver journo's could do a bit more research.


The original decision can be found at this link and is dated 22nd Feb 2006.
http://194.73.99.13:
8080/WAM/doc/Decisio
n-328617.pdf?extensi
on=.pdf&id=328617&lo
cation=VOLUME5&conte
ntType=&pageCount=1

See notes #1 on time limits which state 5 years from point of decision.

Some of the conditions on the Blunsdon Arms make interesting reading too.

#4 No use of outside garden area after between 22.00 and 10.00.....

I wonder where the smokers are after 10pm......?
I'm pretty sure the existing permission for the hotel has lapsed as well. Perhaps the adver journo's could do a bit more research. The original decision can be found at this link and is dated 22nd Feb 2006. http://194.73.99.13: 8080/WAM/doc/Decisio n-328617.pdf?extensi on=.pdf&id=328617&lo cation=VOLUME5&conte ntType=&pageCount=1 See notes #1 on time limits which state 5 years from point of decision. Some of the conditions on the Blunsdon Arms make interesting reading too. #4 No use of outside garden area after between 22.00 and 10.00..... I wonder where the smokers are after 10pm......? LordAshOfTheBrake
  • Score: 0

5:08pm Tue 26 Feb 13

Trend says...

Hmm a retirement home right next to a pub I can't see a problem with that!

As for parking spaces, just look at the retirement complex in Highworth on Brewery Street, cars parked all over the place as not enough space for them all!
Hmm a retirement home right next to a pub I can't see a problem with that! As for parking spaces, just look at the retirement complex in Highworth on Brewery Street, cars parked all over the place as not enough space for them all! Trend
  • Score: 0

5:09pm Tue 26 Feb 13

road - runner says...

I suggest the Adver needs to investigate other developments by McCarthy & Stone to really appreciate the facts and how there developments blight some communities in the UK, rather then just print a PR piece for McCarthy & Stone's Regional Director.

Fact - Other developments, despite receiving the same assurances that this site has received, have been blighted by parking problems, resulting in complaints by Councillors and residents. The same will happen here.

Fact - Previous developments which have received complaints about parking, have had there parking facilities increased, marginally, to meet the local authorities parking policies (SBC's for this site is just 10 !) There is much evidence to show that they do not meet the sites requirement and clearly they will not meet the requirements for this site either. The average age of a resident will be 92. Therefore, it is reasonable to suppose, like every other development in Swindon of this nature, that Doctors, Physiotherapists, District Nurses, Care Companies, Hairdressers, Chiropodists, Couriers, Friends, Family, Shopping deliveries and maintenance vehicles will all require parking along with all 24 residents. All within 14 spaces !!.

Fact - The road surrounding the entire proposed dwelling is on a bend. If residents park outside the proposed dwelling they will be parking on a bend, restricting visability for traffic exiting the development as well as residents from both estates. This has particular consequences for the residents of the home, as evidence shows elderly people are more prone to accidents at these types of junctions.

Fact - McCarthy & Stone in a press release stated "The presence of Lady Lane as a bus route and the opportunity for these residents to use public transport would be one considering factor in the level of car parking provision provided." If you look at web site http://www.swindonbu
s.info/news_story_pu
b.asp?StoryID=127 you will see that no bus service runs through Lady Lane or Ash Brake as it was withdrawn in 2010!!

There are many other points that could be made, contradicting this article. However the main problems are the parking and the look of the building. Our Councillors need to step up to the challenge to have this development amended. Excellent use of the site, but requiring substantial more parking and a building in keeping with the area. Failure to do so will result accidents and complaints to Councillors for years and years.
I suggest the Adver needs to investigate other developments by McCarthy & Stone to really appreciate the facts and how there developments blight some communities in the UK, rather then just print a PR piece for McCarthy & Stone's Regional Director. Fact - Other developments, despite receiving the same assurances that this site has received, have been blighted by parking problems, resulting in complaints by Councillors and residents. The same will happen here. Fact - Previous developments which have received complaints about parking, have had there parking facilities increased, marginally, to meet the local authorities parking policies (SBC's for this site is just 10 !) There is much evidence to show that they do not meet the sites requirement and clearly they will not meet the requirements for this site either. The average age of a resident will be 92. Therefore, it is reasonable to suppose, like every other development in Swindon of this nature, that Doctors, Physiotherapists, District Nurses, Care Companies, Hairdressers, Chiropodists, Couriers, Friends, Family, Shopping deliveries and maintenance vehicles will all require parking along with all 24 residents. All within 14 spaces !!. Fact - The road surrounding the entire proposed dwelling is on a bend. If residents park outside the proposed dwelling they will be parking on a bend, restricting visability for traffic exiting the development as well as residents from both estates. This has particular consequences for the residents of the home, as evidence shows elderly people are more prone to accidents at these types of junctions. Fact - McCarthy & Stone in a press release stated "The presence of Lady Lane as a bus route and the opportunity for these residents to use public transport would be one considering factor in the level of car parking provision provided." If you look at web site http://www.swindonbu s.info/news_story_pu b.asp?StoryID=127 you will see that no bus service runs through Lady Lane or Ash Brake as it was withdrawn in 2010!! There are many other points that could be made, contradicting this article. However the main problems are the parking and the look of the building. Our Councillors need to step up to the challenge to have this development amended. Excellent use of the site, but requiring substantial more parking and a building in keeping with the area. Failure to do so will result accidents and complaints to Councillors for years and years. road - runner
  • Score: 0

5:31pm Tue 26 Feb 13

The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man says...

road-runner. Your second fact is in fact incorrect. The space in front of this site is either a) a more or less straight bit of road or b) a roundabout depending on which bit of it you're looking at.

I'll also point out that if the average age of the residents is indeed 92, it's fairly unlikely that they'll all be needing a parking space!
road-runner. Your second fact is in fact incorrect. The space in front of this site is either a) a more or less straight bit of road or b) a roundabout depending on which bit of it you're looking at. I'll also point out that if the average age of the residents is indeed 92, it's fairly unlikely that they'll all be needing a parking space! The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man
  • Score: 0

6:39pm Tue 26 Feb 13

LordAshOfTheBrake says...

Do we really think the average age is going to be 92 for this type of development...?

The road is a slight bend. When the pub is especially busy (I think Wednesday's for Quiz night is one I know of) its not unusual for cars to park on the road as it is and it does cause problems with visibility as they park right up to the roundabout which is a driving offense; furthermore there is a dropped curb for pedestrian crossing, but that gets blocked too..
Do we really think the average age is going to be 92 for this type of development...? The road is a slight bend. When the pub is especially busy (I think Wednesday's for Quiz night is one I know of) its not unusual for cars to park on the road as it is and it does cause problems with visibility as they park right up to the roundabout which is a driving offense; furthermore there is a dropped curb for pedestrian crossing, but that gets blocked too.. LordAshOfTheBrake
  • Score: 0

6:44pm Tue 26 Feb 13

Localboy86 says...

Can't work out if the people moaning are just nimbys or are worried their kids are going to stick them there once built. If its the latter I hope they don't put wifi in, might cut down on some of the negative comments on this site
Can't work out if the people moaning are just nimbys or are worried their kids are going to stick them there once built. If its the latter I hope they don't put wifi in, might cut down on some of the negative comments on this site Localboy86
  • Score: 0

6:52pm Tue 26 Feb 13

LordAshOfTheBrake says...

Nothing to do with being a nimby. Just looking to ensure that Ash Brake doesn't turn into the parking fiasco that is Red House and many other newer developments. In places its bad enough now.
Nothing to do with being a nimby. Just looking to ensure that Ash Brake doesn't turn into the parking fiasco that is Red House and many other newer developments. In places its bad enough now. LordAshOfTheBrake
  • Score: 0

7:06pm Tue 26 Feb 13

Localboy86 says...

Well unless you're planning on living there, who cares about the parking. I don't know many over 70's and the ones I do don't drive. Just another excuse for people to moan and get all worked up, I'm glad my life isn't so empty.
Well unless you're planning on living there, who cares about the parking. I don't know many over 70's and the ones I do don't drive. Just another excuse for people to moan and get all worked up, I'm glad my life isn't so empty. Localboy86
  • Score: 0

7:18pm Tue 26 Feb 13

LordAshOfTheBrake says...

I live in Ash Brake so yes I do care about the issues in the area and Swindon generally as it happens.

Per my original post, no problem with the area being developed, but it should be done appropriately.

Has nothing to do with an empty life. I'd rather not see a child knocked over due to people parking illegally and so on.

If you don't care; why are you even commenting..... What did you say about an empty life again.... :)
I live in Ash Brake so yes I do care about the issues in the area and Swindon generally as it happens. Per my original post, no problem with the area being developed, but it should be done appropriately. Has nothing to do with an empty life. I'd rather not see a child knocked over due to people parking illegally and so on. If you don't care; why are you even commenting..... What did you say about an empty life again.... :) LordAshOfTheBrake
  • Score: 0

7:26pm Tue 26 Feb 13

road - runner says...

The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man wrote:
road-runner. Your second fact is in fact incorrect. The space in front of this site is either a) a more or less straight bit of road or b) a roundabout depending on which bit of it you're looking at.

I'll also point out that if the average age of the residents is indeed 92, it's fairly unlikely that they'll all be needing a parking space!
The road curves round as you leave Ash Brake until you reach the Blunsdon Arms. Thats a bend.

The average age of 92 was quoted by the consultation team. So if you are right and they do not drive, there is a reasonable chance that they will require visits from Doctors, Physiotherapists, District Nurses, Care Companies, Hairdressers, Chiropodists, Couriers, Friends, Family, Shopping. So where are they going to park ? Which ever way look at it, there is not sufficient parking
[quote][p][bold]The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man[/bold] wrote: road-runner. Your second fact is in fact incorrect. The space in front of this site is either a) a more or less straight bit of road or b) a roundabout depending on which bit of it you're looking at. I'll also point out that if the average age of the residents is indeed 92, it's fairly unlikely that they'll all be needing a parking space![/p][/quote]The road curves round as you leave Ash Brake until you reach the Blunsdon Arms. Thats a bend. The average age of 92 was quoted by the consultation team. So if you are right and they do not drive, there is a reasonable chance that they will require visits from Doctors, Physiotherapists, District Nurses, Care Companies, Hairdressers, Chiropodists, Couriers, Friends, Family, Shopping. So where are they going to park ? Which ever way look at it, there is not sufficient parking road - runner
  • Score: 0

7:42pm Tue 26 Feb 13

road - runner says...

LordAshOfTheBrake wrote:
Do we really think the average age is going to be 92 for this type of development...?

The road is a slight bend. When the pub is especially busy (I think Wednesday's for Quiz night is one I know of) its not unusual for cars to park on the road as it is and it does cause problems with visibility as they park right up to the roundabout which is a driving offense; furthermore there is a dropped curb for pedestrian crossing, but that gets blocked too..
LordAshOfTheBrake totally agree with your comments. Residents parking from this development will no doubt further exacerbate this situation. So it is worth raising these issues now, rather than wait until its built and then complain like some of the above posters will most probably do.
[quote][p][bold]LordAshOfTheBrake[/bold] wrote: Do we really think the average age is going to be 92 for this type of development...? The road is a slight bend. When the pub is especially busy (I think Wednesday's for Quiz night is one I know of) its not unusual for cars to park on the road as it is and it does cause problems with visibility as they park right up to the roundabout which is a driving offense; furthermore there is a dropped curb for pedestrian crossing, but that gets blocked too..[/p][/quote]LordAshOfTheBrake totally agree with your comments. Residents parking from this development will no doubt further exacerbate this situation. So it is worth raising these issues now, rather than wait until its built and then complain like some of the above posters will most probably do. road - runner
  • Score: 0

11:43pm Tue 26 Feb 13

Localboy86 says...

Lordbrake and road runner, i have a cunningl plan. First you should both get your pictures taken for the adver with your arms crossed proclaiming how unhappy you are. Next you should go to any planning meetings and shout in unison "will somebody please think of the children". That should just about do it
Lordbrake and road runner, i have a cunningl plan. First you should both get your pictures taken for the adver with your arms crossed proclaiming how unhappy you are. Next you should go to any planning meetings and shout in unison "will somebody please think of the children". That should just about do it Localboy86
  • Score: 0

1:05am Wed 27 Feb 13

I Could Do That says...

Localboy86 wrote:
Lordbrake and road runner, i have a cunningl plan. First you should both get your pictures taken for the adver with your arms crossed proclaiming how unhappy you are. Next you should go to any planning meetings and shout in unison "will somebody please think of the children". That should just about do it
Is that meant to be funny?
[quote][p][bold]Localboy86[/bold] wrote: Lordbrake and road runner, i have a cunningl plan. First you should both get your pictures taken for the adver with your arms crossed proclaiming how unhappy you are. Next you should go to any planning meetings and shout in unison "will somebody please think of the children". That should just about do it[/p][/quote]Is that meant to be funny? I Could Do That
  • Score: 0

7:26am Wed 27 Feb 13

RichardR1 says...

LordAshOfTheBrake, I think a certain poster failed to notice your login, it seems to give a clue as to where you live.

That said I seem to recall a few years ago that M&S were linked with certain organisations in Ireland, although in fairness they do win lots of awards for their developments.
LordAshOfTheBrake, I think a certain poster failed to notice your login, it seems to give a clue as to where you live. That said I seem to recall a few years ago that M&S were linked with certain organisations in Ireland, although in fairness they do win lots of awards for their developments. RichardR1
  • Score: 0

7:38am Wed 27 Feb 13

LordAshOfTheBrake says...

Localboy86 wrote:
Lordbrake and road runner, i have a cunningl plan. First you should both get your pictures taken for the adver with your arms crossed proclaiming how unhappy you are. Next you should go to any planning meetings and shout in unison "will somebody please think of the children". That should just about do it
I thought you had too much of a life to bother posting on something that you do not care about....?

Given the accident just a few hundred yards away last week, your comment is hardly appropriate.

Most people are quite happy for the development in principle, but parking and the blatant lack of it is the issue.
[quote][p][bold]Localboy86[/bold] wrote: Lordbrake and road runner, i have a cunningl plan. First you should both get your pictures taken for the adver with your arms crossed proclaiming how unhappy you are. Next you should go to any planning meetings and shout in unison "will somebody please think of the children". That should just about do it[/p][/quote]I thought you had too much of a life to bother posting on something that you do not care about....? Given the accident just a few hundred yards away last week, your comment is hardly appropriate. Most people are quite happy for the development in principle, but parking and the blatant lack of it is the issue. LordAshOfTheBrake
  • Score: 0

3:04pm Thu 28 Feb 13

The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man says...

road - runner wrote:
The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man wrote:
road-runner. Your second fact is in fact incorrect. The space in front of this site is either a) a more or less straight bit of road or b) a roundabout depending on which bit of it you're looking at.

I'll also point out that if the average age of the residents is indeed 92, it's fairly unlikely that they'll all be needing a parking space!
The road curves round as you leave Ash Brake until you reach the Blunsdon Arms. Thats a bend.

The average age of 92 was quoted by the consultation team. So if you are right and they do not drive, there is a reasonable chance that they will require visits from Doctors, Physiotherapists, District Nurses, Care Companies, Hairdressers, Chiropodists, Couriers, Friends, Family, Shopping. So where are they going to park ? Which ever way look at it, there is not sufficient parking
Overhead map: http://goo.gl/maps/5
VtfH

Streetview: http://goo.gl/maps/8
90Xa

Looks pretty straight to me. Certainly as straight as any road is likely to get unless it's a Roman road, (Apart from the roundabout as already mentioned of course...)

It's not that I particularly disagree with you (Or LordAsh for that matter). I suspect parking will be an issue, although less of an issue than that it would be in some other areas, there's plenty of parking around Bridlewood and Ash brake - perhaps they could alleviate the parking by making a small car park on the opposite side of the roundabout? That area has always looked really messy since they closed Lady Lane so it might be a good opportunity to tidy it up...

Even with the perceived parking issue it's still got to be a million times better than the other mooted uses for this site hasn't it?
[quote][p][bold]road - runner[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man[/bold] wrote: road-runner. Your second fact is in fact incorrect. The space in front of this site is either a) a more or less straight bit of road or b) a roundabout depending on which bit of it you're looking at. I'll also point out that if the average age of the residents is indeed 92, it's fairly unlikely that they'll all be needing a parking space![/p][/quote]The road curves round as you leave Ash Brake until you reach the Blunsdon Arms. Thats a bend. The average age of 92 was quoted by the consultation team. So if you are right and they do not drive, there is a reasonable chance that they will require visits from Doctors, Physiotherapists, District Nurses, Care Companies, Hairdressers, Chiropodists, Couriers, Friends, Family, Shopping. So where are they going to park ? Which ever way look at it, there is not sufficient parking[/p][/quote]Overhead map: http://goo.gl/maps/5 VtfH Streetview: http://goo.gl/maps/8 90Xa Looks pretty straight to me. Certainly as straight as any road is likely to get unless it's a Roman road, (Apart from the roundabout as already mentioned of course...) It's not that I particularly disagree with you (Or LordAsh for that matter). I suspect parking will be an issue, although less of an issue than that it would be in some other areas, there's plenty of parking around Bridlewood and Ash brake - perhaps they could alleviate the parking by making a small car park on the opposite side of the roundabout? That area has always looked really messy since they closed Lady Lane so it might be a good opportunity to tidy it up... Even with the perceived parking issue it's still got to be a million times better than the other mooted uses for this site hasn't it? The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man
  • Score: 0

5:30pm Thu 28 Feb 13

LordAshOfTheBrake says...

The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man wrote:
road - runner wrote:
The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man wrote:
road-runner. Your second fact is in fact incorrect. The space in front of this site is either a) a more or less straight bit of road or b) a roundabout depending on which bit of it you're looking at.

I'll also point out that if the average age of the residents is indeed 92, it's fairly unlikely that they'll all be needing a parking space!
The road curves round as you leave Ash Brake until you reach the Blunsdon Arms. Thats a bend.

The average age of 92 was quoted by the consultation team. So if you are right and they do not drive, there is a reasonable chance that they will require visits from Doctors, Physiotherapists, District Nurses, Care Companies, Hairdressers, Chiropodists, Couriers, Friends, Family, Shopping. So where are they going to park ? Which ever way look at it, there is not sufficient parking
Overhead map: http://goo.gl/maps/5

VtfH

Streetview: http://goo.gl/maps/8

90Xa

Looks pretty straight to me. Certainly as straight as any road is likely to get unless it's a Roman road, (Apart from the roundabout as already mentioned of course...)

It's not that I particularly disagree with you (Or LordAsh for that matter). I suspect parking will be an issue, although less of an issue than that it would be in some other areas, there's plenty of parking around Bridlewood and Ash brake - perhaps they could alleviate the parking by making a small car park on the opposite side of the roundabout? That area has always looked really messy since they closed Lady Lane so it might be a good opportunity to tidy it up...

Even with the perceived parking issue it's still got to be a million times better than the other mooted uses for this site hasn't it?
Where is all this parking around Ash Brake you refer to? Most on street parking is technically illegal due to the proximity of the roundabouts and cross points/dropped curbs.

The area you refer to for additional parking is the old lady lane and it is too narrow to effectively turn into a car park with turning space.

The lower section (50 to 100 yards off the roundabout) could just about work if the pedestrian area was removed.

With regards to the straightness of the road. I suggest you turn off labels and look again. Using street view you can position yourself right in the roundabout. Then factor in entrance to the pub and the crossing point which means that the road is unsuitable for on-street parking and most of it would be considered illegal (not that the council or police do anything about it).
[quote][p][bold]The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]road - runner[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man[/bold] wrote: road-runner. Your second fact is in fact incorrect. The space in front of this site is either a) a more or less straight bit of road or b) a roundabout depending on which bit of it you're looking at. I'll also point out that if the average age of the residents is indeed 92, it's fairly unlikely that they'll all be needing a parking space![/p][/quote]The road curves round as you leave Ash Brake until you reach the Blunsdon Arms. Thats a bend. The average age of 92 was quoted by the consultation team. So if you are right and they do not drive, there is a reasonable chance that they will require visits from Doctors, Physiotherapists, District Nurses, Care Companies, Hairdressers, Chiropodists, Couriers, Friends, Family, Shopping. So where are they going to park ? Which ever way look at it, there is not sufficient parking[/p][/quote]Overhead map: http://goo.gl/maps/5 VtfH Streetview: http://goo.gl/maps/8 90Xa Looks pretty straight to me. Certainly as straight as any road is likely to get unless it's a Roman road, (Apart from the roundabout as already mentioned of course...) It's not that I particularly disagree with you (Or LordAsh for that matter). I suspect parking will be an issue, although less of an issue than that it would be in some other areas, there's plenty of parking around Bridlewood and Ash brake - perhaps they could alleviate the parking by making a small car park on the opposite side of the roundabout? That area has always looked really messy since they closed Lady Lane so it might be a good opportunity to tidy it up... Even with the perceived parking issue it's still got to be a million times better than the other mooted uses for this site hasn't it?[/p][/quote]Where is all this parking around Ash Brake you refer to? Most on street parking is technically illegal due to the proximity of the roundabouts and cross points/dropped curbs. The area you refer to for additional parking is the old lady lane and it is too narrow to effectively turn into a car park with turning space. The lower section (50 to 100 yards off the roundabout) could just about work if the pedestrian area was removed. With regards to the straightness of the road. I suggest you turn off labels and look again. Using street view you can position yourself right in the roundabout. Then factor in entrance to the pub and the crossing point which means that the road is unsuitable for on-street parking and most of it would be considered illegal (not that the council or police do anything about it). LordAshOfTheBrake
  • Score: 0

5:51pm Thu 28 Feb 13

The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man says...

LordAshOfTheBrake wrote:
The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man wrote:
road - runner wrote:
The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man wrote:
road-runner. Your second fact is in fact incorrect. The space in front of this site is either a) a more or less straight bit of road or b) a roundabout depending on which bit of it you're looking at.

I'll also point out that if the average age of the residents is indeed 92, it's fairly unlikely that they'll all be needing a parking space!
The road curves round as you leave Ash Brake until you reach the Blunsdon Arms. Thats a bend.

The average age of 92 was quoted by the consultation team. So if you are right and they do not drive, there is a reasonable chance that they will require visits from Doctors, Physiotherapists, District Nurses, Care Companies, Hairdressers, Chiropodists, Couriers, Friends, Family, Shopping. So where are they going to park ? Which ever way look at it, there is not sufficient parking
Overhead map: http://goo.gl/maps/5


VtfH

Streetview: http://goo.gl/maps/8


90Xa

Looks pretty straight to me. Certainly as straight as any road is likely to get unless it's a Roman road, (Apart from the roundabout as already mentioned of course...)

It's not that I particularly disagree with you (Or LordAsh for that matter). I suspect parking will be an issue, although less of an issue than that it would be in some other areas, there's plenty of parking around Bridlewood and Ash brake - perhaps they could alleviate the parking by making a small car park on the opposite side of the roundabout? That area has always looked really messy since they closed Lady Lane so it might be a good opportunity to tidy it up...

Even with the perceived parking issue it's still got to be a million times better than the other mooted uses for this site hasn't it?
Where is all this parking around Ash Brake you refer to? Most on street parking is technically illegal due to the proximity of the roundabouts and cross points/dropped curbs.

The area you refer to for additional parking is the old lady lane and it is too narrow to effectively turn into a car park with turning space.

The lower section (50 to 100 yards off the roundabout) could just about work if the pedestrian area was removed.

With regards to the straightness of the road. I suggest you turn off labels and look again. Using street view you can position yourself right in the roundabout. Then factor in entrance to the pub and the crossing point which means that the road is unsuitable for on-street parking and most of it would be considered illegal (not that the council or police do anything about it).
I don't need to turn off labels or look again - I walk down that road quite regularly and I'm quite aware that there are several places that cars could safely park (and quite often do!).

The area near the barriers, would be plenty of room for a few spaces. Heck, there's not really even any need for a roundabout there, you could quite happily take it out and make a T-Junction instead, giving more space for parking along the side in front of the care home...
[quote][p][bold]LordAshOfTheBrake[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]road - runner[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man[/bold] wrote: road-runner. Your second fact is in fact incorrect. The space in front of this site is either a) a more or less straight bit of road or b) a roundabout depending on which bit of it you're looking at. I'll also point out that if the average age of the residents is indeed 92, it's fairly unlikely that they'll all be needing a parking space![/p][/quote]The road curves round as you leave Ash Brake until you reach the Blunsdon Arms. Thats a bend. The average age of 92 was quoted by the consultation team. So if you are right and they do not drive, there is a reasonable chance that they will require visits from Doctors, Physiotherapists, District Nurses, Care Companies, Hairdressers, Chiropodists, Couriers, Friends, Family, Shopping. So where are they going to park ? Which ever way look at it, there is not sufficient parking[/p][/quote]Overhead map: http://goo.gl/maps/5 VtfH Streetview: http://goo.gl/maps/8 90Xa Looks pretty straight to me. Certainly as straight as any road is likely to get unless it's a Roman road, (Apart from the roundabout as already mentioned of course...) It's not that I particularly disagree with you (Or LordAsh for that matter). I suspect parking will be an issue, although less of an issue than that it would be in some other areas, there's plenty of parking around Bridlewood and Ash brake - perhaps they could alleviate the parking by making a small car park on the opposite side of the roundabout? That area has always looked really messy since they closed Lady Lane so it might be a good opportunity to tidy it up... Even with the perceived parking issue it's still got to be a million times better than the other mooted uses for this site hasn't it?[/p][/quote]Where is all this parking around Ash Brake you refer to? Most on street parking is technically illegal due to the proximity of the roundabouts and cross points/dropped curbs. The area you refer to for additional parking is the old lady lane and it is too narrow to effectively turn into a car park with turning space. The lower section (50 to 100 yards off the roundabout) could just about work if the pedestrian area was removed. With regards to the straightness of the road. I suggest you turn off labels and look again. Using street view you can position yourself right in the roundabout. Then factor in entrance to the pub and the crossing point which means that the road is unsuitable for on-street parking and most of it would be considered illegal (not that the council or police do anything about it).[/p][/quote]I don't need to turn off labels or look again - I walk down that road quite regularly and I'm quite aware that there are several places that cars could safely park (and quite often do!). The area near the barriers, would be plenty of room for a few spaces. Heck, there's not really even any need for a roundabout there, you could quite happily take it out and make a T-Junction instead, giving more space for parking along the side in front of the care home... The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man
  • Score: 0

6:01pm Thu 28 Feb 13

LordAshOfTheBrake says...

@The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man

Cars often park there, and most of them do not so so safely. At most maybe 2 cars could park on the street. Hardly going to make a difference is it.

You do know that your not supposed to park within a certain amount of distance of a roundabout and an entry and exit point, opposite a turning and over a dropped curb and crossing point etc


If you put parking in the area you describe you would need a roundabout or cross roads, so you can't get rid of it completely.

An additional option would be to move the pavement on the opposite side and put designated parking bays in its place which means the cars are off the road.
@The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man Cars often park there, and most of them do not so so safely. At most maybe 2 cars could park on the street. Hardly going to make a difference is it. You do know that your not supposed to park within a certain amount of distance of a roundabout and an entry and exit point, opposite a turning and over a dropped curb and crossing point etc If you put parking in the area you describe you would need a roundabout or cross roads, so you can't get rid of it completely. An additional option would be to move the pavement on the opposite side and put designated parking bays in its place which means the cars are off the road. LordAshOfTheBrake
  • Score: 0

12:44pm Sun 3 Mar 13

fuglycat says...

No objections in principle apart from the parking issue, however as a fair few residents will not have cars I hope that the old bus service will be reinstated by the time the flats are ready to be occupied, currently it is a 1/2 mile walk, over a busy road down to Asda Walmart for your nearest bus to either town or the Doctors neither are an option for the age group likely to be taking up residence
No objections in principle apart from the parking issue, however as a fair few residents will not have cars I hope that the old bus service will be reinstated by the time the flats are ready to be occupied, currently it is a 1/2 mile walk, over a busy road down to Asda Walmart for your nearest bus to either town or the Doctors neither are an option for the age group likely to be taking up residence fuglycat
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree