Get involved! Send photos, video, news & views. Text SWINDON NEWS to 80360 or email us
Bishopstone man set for trial over rape
11:55am Tuesday 5th March 2013 in News
A MAN accused of repeatedly raping a girl who was under the age of 16 is to face trial by judge and jury.
Andrew Sturmey is also charged with a number of other sexual offences against the teenager over a four year period.
The 45-year-old is said to have carried out the acts on the girl between the middle of 2008 and November last year.
Sturmey, of The Wynces, Bishopstone, pleaded not guilty to eight counts of rape and eight of sexual activity with a child.
It is alleged that he raped the girl on six occasions when she was aged 13, 14, and 15 years old.
He is also accused of raping the girl on two occasions in the four months leading up to November 8 last year.
Judge Douglas Field adjourned the case to July 8 and released Sturmey on conditional bail until then. He was told he must have no contact, direct or indirect, with witnesses, live at his home address, stay out of Swindon and report to the police three times a week.