Get involved! Send photos, video, news & views. Text SWINDON NEWS to 80360 or email us
Teenager charged over Haydon End brawl
7:00am Wednesday 20th March 2013 in News
WILTSHIRE Police have charged a 16-year-old youth with grievous bodily harm with intent following a fight in North Swindon earlier this month.
The fight, involving about 20 youths, broke out in a field near Haydon End on Wednesday, March 6. During the scuffle, one teenager was knifed in the stomach and was taken to hospital for treatment.
Wiltshire Police were alerted by residents after they spotted a large group of youths gathering early in the evening around Prospero Way, Havisham Drive, Hardy Close and Mazurek Way.
Officers were there within minutes of the first call and carried out thorough searches for the youths, who had quickly dispersed.
Detective Constable Alan Mills, of Swindon CID, said: “We are very grateful to the media in Swindon for all their coverage of this disorder. “As a result we have received a number of very helpful phone calls from members of the public.
“The information that they have provided has allowed us to build up a list of the people who are suspected of taking part in this confrontation.
“We are extremely keen to hear from anyone else who has information about the people who were behind this disorder.
“It is quite possible that parents of secondary school children have heard names being mentioned by their children.
“We need to know more about who used social networking sites to encourage the gathering, and about those who turned up to take part in what developed.
“I would appeal to all public-spirited people in Swindon who have information, no matter how insignificant it might seem, to call 101 and ask for Swindon CID. “Anyone concerned about being identified can call Crimestoppers UK anonymously on 0800 555 111.”
Meanwhile, Chief Inspector Keith Ewart has sought to reassure residents that Swindon North Neighbourhood Policing Team has stepped up patrols in the area to prevent a repeat of the events.
Ch Insp Ewart said: “With the support of the community we have achieved a 23 per cent drop in serious violent offences in Swindon over the last year, and anti social behaviour incidents have fallen by more than 20 per cent.
“This was an isolated incident within a peaceful and safe community and we intend to keep it that way by robustly policing the area and continuing to drive down violent and anti-social incidents.”
The 16-year-old has been released on police bail and is due to appear before Swindon Youth Court on April 16.