Get involved! Send photos, video, news & views. Text SWINDON NEWS to 80360 or email us
Dad’s threat to burn home
5:30am Wednesday 12th February 2014 in News
DAD Kervon Fleming, who assaulted his former girlfriend in front of her seven-year-old son and left her with a broken nose, has again walked free from court.
Fleming, 21, of Croft Road, Old Town, was on a suspended sentence and banned from contacting the woman when he launched the violent attack shortly before Christmas.
He was also on a community order for assaulting his girlfriend weeks earlier when he broke her nose with a punch.
But rather than jail him Recorder Richard Onslow imposed another suspended sentence at Swindon Crown Court on Monday.
Chris Smyth, prosecuting, said Fleming was given a one-year suspended sentence last January for false imprisonment of Miss Lyons. He was put on a community order on December 3 last year for common assault on her a few weeks before.
As part of that sentence magistrates imposed a restraining order banning him from having contact with his victim.
Two weeks later he went to her house to collect some belongings and she allowed him to stay to see the baby. Mr Smyth said because she had consented to him being there, he had not been charged with breaching the restraining order.
They started to argue and she said she was going to leave the house with the children. He said he would smash it up if she did. As she went to leave he shut the door on her arm then punched her in the face. He then went to the living room where he tipped over the television and smashed the remote control on the floor.
As he left she called out and he turned round and punched her in the nose, knocking her to the ground, before threatening to burn the house down if she called the police.
Fleming admitted actual bodily harm, criminal damage and threats to cause criminal damage. Will Woodman, defending, said his client was still a young man and had not been in the country for a long time.
He said he had already served 49 days in custody on remand and he would get more help in the community than in prison.
The judge said: “You did that when her seven-year-old son was there and that was ghastly wasn’t it? That was the act of a bully, wasn’t it?
“This is your last chance to realise you can’t push women about and you can’t hit them. This is your last chance.”
He imposed a nine-month jail term suspended for 18 months and put him on a night-time curfew for four months and supervision for a year. He also imposed a one-year restraining order banning him from contacting the victim, except through solicitors over child contact, or going to her home.