Smoke alarm could have saved Victoria, inquest hears

The aftermath of the fire in May of last year

The aftermath of the fire in May of last year

First published in News
Last updated
by

VICTORIA Stockman could still have been alive today if a working fire alarm been installed in her Rodbourne flat.

An inquest held at the Coroner’s Court in Salisbury this morning heard that the 33-year-old Business Co-Ordinator with IMSM died following a fire at her flat in Redcliffe Street after sustaining 45 per cent burns and a hypoxic brain injury, associated with a lack of oxygen to the brain.

David Coward, Assistant Coroner for Wiltshire and Swindon, recorded a verdict of accidental death after a stray cigarette end caused a quilt on the sofa to ignite.

He said that a lack of smoke alarms in the building contributed to her death, and could have given her vital seconds to help her escape the burning room.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree