TV licence team aim to deliver better service

Swindon Advertiser: More than 66,000 households take part in initiative to deliver better services More than 66,000 households take part in initiative to deliver better services

MORE THAN 66,000 households across Swindon are part of a UK-wide initiative by TV Licensing to deliver better value for the Licence Fee payer, by reducing the number of paper TV Licences issued.

With the cost of the Licence Fee frozen until 2016, the amount people pay for a TV Licence has not changed since 2011. TV Licensing has written to more than 14 million Direct Debit customers letting them know they will no longer receive an annual paper licence as long as they automatically renew and pay on time.

These changes mean it is important customers notify TV Licensing if they move house or change their personal details.

Richard Chapman, spokesperson for TV Licensing in the South West, said: “We’re always looking to increase efficiencies to deliver better value for the Licence Fee payer. “By not issuing the annual paper licence to Direct Debit customers TV Licensing will have saved around £5m from the start of the initiative to Charter Renewal in 2016. Those customers won’t require a paper licence until 2016 as we know their property is correctly licensed and their payment plans won’t change until then.”

“Without the yearly postal reminder there is a chance some customers may forget to let us know if they move house, or update their Direct Debit details. Keeping us updated of any change of details is easy and can be completed quickly and safely online or by phone.”

Customers can check or update their personal details anytime by visiting www.tvlicensing.co.uk/info or by calling TV Licensing on 0300 790 6112. Customers should update their personal details if they move house, turn 75 or change their bank details or surname so as to remain properly licensed.

Comments (21)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:59am Wed 26 Feb 14

Hmmmf says...

This is nothing to do with 'providing a better service to customers', this is simply corporate spin for Capita increasing their profits by cutting the costs of printing and posting real licenses. How is this possibly 'better value for customers'?
This is nothing to do with 'providing a better service to customers', this is simply corporate spin for Capita increasing their profits by cutting the costs of printing and posting real licenses. How is this possibly 'better value for customers'? Hmmmf

10:08am Wed 26 Feb 14

adsinibiza says...

Its about time the TV license was scrapped - it's an anachronism in the modern digital age
Its about time the TV license was scrapped - it's an anachronism in the modern digital age adsinibiza

11:32am Wed 26 Feb 14

A.Baron-Cohen says...

adsinibiza wrote:
Its about time the TV license was scrapped - it's an anachronism in the modern digital age
Well it is but it can be avoided very simply, I do not pay it as I stream TV and catch up TV over the net, I watch all the programs with 1H delay license and line rental free saving £32/month...easy
[quote][p][bold]adsinibiza[/bold] wrote: Its about time the TV license was scrapped - it's an anachronism in the modern digital age[/p][/quote]Well it is but it can be avoided very simply, I do not pay it as I stream TV and catch up TV over the net, I watch all the programs with 1H delay license and line rental free saving £32/month...easy A.Baron-Cohen

11:46am Wed 26 Feb 14

ChannelX says...

Hmmmf wrote:
This is nothing to do with 'providing a better service to customers', this is simply corporate spin for Capita increasing their profits by cutting the costs of printing and posting real licenses. How is this possibly 'better value for customers'?
I suppose the *idea* is that the money saved goes to the BBC, not printing pointless hard copy licences.

Whether that happens in reality, due to the inevitable increase in admin that'll be created, is another matter.
[quote][p][bold]Hmmmf[/bold] wrote: This is nothing to do with 'providing a better service to customers', this is simply corporate spin for Capita increasing their profits by cutting the costs of printing and posting real licenses. How is this possibly 'better value for customers'?[/p][/quote]I suppose the *idea* is that the money saved goes to the BBC, not printing pointless hard copy licences. Whether that happens in reality, due to the inevitable increase in admin that'll be created, is another matter. ChannelX

12:05pm Wed 26 Feb 14

house on the hill says...

ChannelX wrote:
Hmmmf wrote:
This is nothing to do with 'providing a better service to customers', this is simply corporate spin for Capita increasing their profits by cutting the costs of printing and posting real licenses. How is this possibly 'better value for customers'?
I suppose the *idea* is that the money saved goes to the BBC, not printing pointless hard copy licences.

Whether that happens in reality, due to the inevitable increase in admin that'll be created, is another matter.
Capita have no interest in improving services just making as much money as they can as evidenced by their "partnership" with the Council. They had the London Congestion Charge admin taken away because they didnt make enough money out of it. It is insulting to suggest it is about improving the service to customers.
[quote][p][bold]ChannelX[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hmmmf[/bold] wrote: This is nothing to do with 'providing a better service to customers', this is simply corporate spin for Capita increasing their profits by cutting the costs of printing and posting real licenses. How is this possibly 'better value for customers'?[/p][/quote]I suppose the *idea* is that the money saved goes to the BBC, not printing pointless hard copy licences. Whether that happens in reality, due to the inevitable increase in admin that'll be created, is another matter.[/p][/quote]Capita have no interest in improving services just making as much money as they can as evidenced by their "partnership" with the Council. They had the London Congestion Charge admin taken away because they didnt make enough money out of it. It is insulting to suggest it is about improving the service to customers. house on the hill

12:22pm Wed 26 Feb 14

Highworth Lad says...

A.Baron-Cohen wrote:
adsinibiza wrote:
Its about time the TV license was scrapped - it's an anachronism in the modern digital age
Well it is but it can be avoided very simply, I do not pay it as I stream TV and catch up TV over the net, I watch all the programs with 1H delay license and line rental free saving £32/month...easy
hmmm, I think you still have to have a licence even if you watch TV on a PC or lap top... I could be wrong
[quote][p][bold]A.Baron-Cohen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]adsinibiza[/bold] wrote: Its about time the TV license was scrapped - it's an anachronism in the modern digital age[/p][/quote]Well it is but it can be avoided very simply, I do not pay it as I stream TV and catch up TV over the net, I watch all the programs with 1H delay license and line rental free saving £32/month...easy[/p][/quote]hmmm, I think you still have to have a licence even if you watch TV on a PC or lap top... I could be wrong Highworth Lad

12:47pm Wed 26 Feb 14

Hmmmf says...

Highworth Lad wrote:
hmmm, I think you still have to have a licence even if you watch TV on a PC or lap top... I could be wrong

Pains me to say it, but A.B-C is correct. You only need a tv licence if you watch programs as they're being broadcast (ie "live").
If you only watch catch-up tv it doesn't matter what device you use. If you were mad, you could wall-paper your house with television sets, but if you never used them to watch live TV, you still wouldn't need a license (and Capita's employees would still need a search warrant to enter your premises, no matter what they might tell you on the doorstep).
[quote][p][bold]Highworth Lad[/bold] wrote: hmmm, I think you still have to have a licence even if you watch TV on a PC or lap top... I could be wrong [/quote] Pains me to say it, but A.B-C is correct. You only need a tv licence if you watch programs as they're being broadcast (ie "live"). If you only watch catch-up tv it doesn't matter what device you use. If you were mad, you could wall-paper your house with television sets, but if you never used them to watch live TV, you still wouldn't need a license (and Capita's employees would still need a search warrant to enter your premises, no matter what they might tell you on the doorstep). Hmmmf

12:53pm Wed 26 Feb 14

Phantom Poster says...

A.Baron-Cohen wrote:
adsinibiza wrote:
Its about time the TV license was scrapped - it's an anachronism in the modern digital age
Well it is but it can be avoided very simply, I do not pay it as I stream TV and catch up TV over the net, I watch all the programs with 1H delay license and line rental free saving £32/month...easy
Such hypocrisy from someone who on other threads was telling us all that everyone should pay for only the services they receive. Yet here are you freeloading off the honest license payer. Just because you can get away with something doesn't make it morally right. If you don't believe in the license fee then don't watch the BBC.

By the way, does your house contain any equipment containinga TV tuner? If so, you need a TV license.
[quote][p][bold]A.Baron-Cohen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]adsinibiza[/bold] wrote: Its about time the TV license was scrapped - it's an anachronism in the modern digital age[/p][/quote]Well it is but it can be avoided very simply, I do not pay it as I stream TV and catch up TV over the net, I watch all the programs with 1H delay license and line rental free saving £32/month...easy[/p][/quote]Such hypocrisy from someone who on other threads was telling us all that everyone should pay for only the services they receive. Yet here are you freeloading off the honest license payer. Just because you can get away with something doesn't make it morally right. If you don't believe in the license fee then don't watch the BBC. By the way, does your house contain any equipment containinga TV tuner? If so, you need a TV license. Phantom Poster

12:57pm Wed 26 Feb 14

The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man says...

Highworth Lad wrote:
A.Baron-Cohen wrote:
adsinibiza wrote:
Its about time the TV license was scrapped - it's an anachronism in the modern digital age
Well it is but it can be avoided very simply, I do not pay it as I stream TV and catch up TV over the net, I watch all the programs with 1H delay license and line rental free saving £32/month...easy
hmmm, I think you still have to have a licence even if you watch TV on a PC or lap top... I could be wrong
Yes, you're wrong. You only need a license to watch live TV, not catch-up services or video on demand.

http://www.tvlicensi
ng.co.uk/check-if-yo
u-need-one/topics/te
chnology--devices-an
d-online-top8/
[quote][p][bold]Highworth Lad[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]A.Baron-Cohen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]adsinibiza[/bold] wrote: Its about time the TV license was scrapped - it's an anachronism in the modern digital age[/p][/quote]Well it is but it can be avoided very simply, I do not pay it as I stream TV and catch up TV over the net, I watch all the programs with 1H delay license and line rental free saving £32/month...easy[/p][/quote]hmmm, I think you still have to have a licence even if you watch TV on a PC or lap top... I could be wrong[/p][/quote]Yes, you're wrong. You only need a license to watch live TV, not catch-up services or video on demand. http://www.tvlicensi ng.co.uk/check-if-yo u-need-one/topics/te chnology--devices-an d-online-top8/ The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man

1:26pm Wed 26 Feb 14

Hmmmf says...

Phantom Poster wrote:
By the way, does your house contain any equipment containinga TV tuner? If so, you need a TV license.

Not true.
[quote][p][bold]Phantom Poster[/bold] wrote: By the way, does your house contain any equipment containinga TV tuner? If so, you need a TV license. [/quote] Not true. Hmmmf

1:29pm Wed 26 Feb 14

A.Baron-Cohen says...

Phantom Poster wrote:
A.Baron-Cohen wrote:
adsinibiza wrote:
Its about time the TV license was scrapped - it's an anachronism in the modern digital age
Well it is but it can be avoided very simply, I do not pay it as I stream TV and catch up TV over the net, I watch all the programs with 1H delay license and line rental free saving £32/month...easy
Such hypocrisy from someone who on other threads was telling us all that everyone should pay for only the services they receive. Yet here are you freeloading off the honest license payer. Just because you can get away with something doesn't make it morally right. If you don't believe in the license fee then don't watch the BBC.

By the way, does your house contain any equipment containinga TV tuner? If so, you need a TV license.
It is absolutely legal not to pay TV license if you do not watch live broadcasts.
I wanted to save money, I informed myself and now I am sharing this with you all.
It is up to you to decide what to do, you can continue to pay your TV license or you can ditch it, please do not accuse others of wrong doing because of your lack of knowledge.
[quote][p][bold]Phantom Poster[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]A.Baron-Cohen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]adsinibiza[/bold] wrote: Its about time the TV license was scrapped - it's an anachronism in the modern digital age[/p][/quote]Well it is but it can be avoided very simply, I do not pay it as I stream TV and catch up TV over the net, I watch all the programs with 1H delay license and line rental free saving £32/month...easy[/p][/quote]Such hypocrisy from someone who on other threads was telling us all that everyone should pay for only the services they receive. Yet here are you freeloading off the honest license payer. Just because you can get away with something doesn't make it morally right. If you don't believe in the license fee then don't watch the BBC. By the way, does your house contain any equipment containinga TV tuner? If so, you need a TV license.[/p][/quote]It is absolutely legal not to pay TV license if you do not watch live broadcasts. I wanted to save money, I informed myself and now I am sharing this with you all. It is up to you to decide what to do, you can continue to pay your TV license or you can ditch it, please do not accuse others of wrong doing because of your lack of knowledge. A.Baron-Cohen

2:02pm Wed 26 Feb 14

Phantom Poster says...

A.Baron-Cohen wrote:
Phantom Poster wrote:
A.Baron-Cohen wrote:
adsinibiza wrote:
Its about time the TV license was scrapped - it's an anachronism in the modern digital age
Well it is but it can be avoided very simply, I do not pay it as I stream TV and catch up TV over the net, I watch all the programs with 1H delay license and line rental free saving £32/month...easy
Such hypocrisy from someone who on other threads was telling us all that everyone should pay for only the services they receive. Yet here are you freeloading off the honest license payer. Just because you can get away with something doesn't make it morally right. If you don't believe in the license fee then don't watch the BBC.

By the way, does your house contain any equipment containinga TV tuner? If so, you need a TV license.
It is absolutely legal not to pay TV license if you do not watch live broadcasts.
I wanted to save money, I informed myself and now I am sharing this with you all.
It is up to you to decide what to do, you can continue to pay your TV license or you can ditch it, please do not accuse others of wrong doing because of your lack of knowledge.
I'm well aware that there is no licence fee for streaming non-live content. However I still pay the license fee. Who do you think pays for the content which you can't seem to live without? On previous threads you were very keen for people to pay for what they use. As I say - sheer hypocrisy. You do realise that you can be a hypocrite without breaking the law?
[quote][p][bold]A.Baron-Cohen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Phantom Poster[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]A.Baron-Cohen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]adsinibiza[/bold] wrote: Its about time the TV license was scrapped - it's an anachronism in the modern digital age[/p][/quote]Well it is but it can be avoided very simply, I do not pay it as I stream TV and catch up TV over the net, I watch all the programs with 1H delay license and line rental free saving £32/month...easy[/p][/quote]Such hypocrisy from someone who on other threads was telling us all that everyone should pay for only the services they receive. Yet here are you freeloading off the honest license payer. Just because you can get away with something doesn't make it morally right. If you don't believe in the license fee then don't watch the BBC. By the way, does your house contain any equipment containinga TV tuner? If so, you need a TV license.[/p][/quote]It is absolutely legal not to pay TV license if you do not watch live broadcasts. I wanted to save money, I informed myself and now I am sharing this with you all. It is up to you to decide what to do, you can continue to pay your TV license or you can ditch it, please do not accuse others of wrong doing because of your lack of knowledge.[/p][/quote]I'm well aware that there is no licence fee for streaming non-live content. However I still pay the license fee. Who do you think pays for the content which you can't seem to live without? On previous threads you were very keen for people to pay for what they use. As I say - sheer hypocrisy. You do realise that you can be a hypocrite without breaking the law? Phantom Poster

2:08pm Wed 26 Feb 14

Badgersgetabadname says...

The TV licence page states that you need a licence to view or record which could be construed as catch up TV but with no specific reference it would be impossible to bring to court let alone convict.
The BBC player has a pop up that states you need a licence to watch.
The TV licence page states that you need a licence to view or record which could be construed as catch up TV but with no specific reference it would be impossible to bring to court let alone convict. The BBC player has a pop up that states you need a licence to watch. Badgersgetabadname

2:08pm Wed 26 Feb 14

The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man says...

Phantom Poster wrote:
A.Baron-Cohen wrote:
Phantom Poster wrote:
A.Baron-Cohen wrote:
adsinibiza wrote:
Its about time the TV license was scrapped - it's an anachronism in the modern digital age
Well it is but it can be avoided very simply, I do not pay it as I stream TV and catch up TV over the net, I watch all the programs with 1H delay license and line rental free saving £32/month...easy
Such hypocrisy from someone who on other threads was telling us all that everyone should pay for only the services they receive. Yet here are you freeloading off the honest license payer. Just because you can get away with something doesn't make it morally right. If you don't believe in the license fee then don't watch the BBC.

By the way, does your house contain any equipment containinga TV tuner? If so, you need a TV license.
It is absolutely legal not to pay TV license if you do not watch live broadcasts.
I wanted to save money, I informed myself and now I am sharing this with you all.
It is up to you to decide what to do, you can continue to pay your TV license or you can ditch it, please do not accuse others of wrong doing because of your lack of knowledge.
I'm well aware that there is no licence fee for streaming non-live content. However I still pay the license fee. Who do you think pays for the content which you can't seem to live without? On previous threads you were very keen for people to pay for what they use. As I say - sheer hypocrisy. You do realise that you can be a hypocrite without breaking the law?
To be fair I don't think A-B-C has once said he watches the BBC.

And paying a license fee to watch the other 300+ channels available to us in the UK which are all supported by advertising seems a little off.

I do watch live TV on occasion so have a license but very little is the dumbed down, patronising low quality stuff the BBC put out these days.
[quote][p][bold]Phantom Poster[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]A.Baron-Cohen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Phantom Poster[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]A.Baron-Cohen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]adsinibiza[/bold] wrote: Its about time the TV license was scrapped - it's an anachronism in the modern digital age[/p][/quote]Well it is but it can be avoided very simply, I do not pay it as I stream TV and catch up TV over the net, I watch all the programs with 1H delay license and line rental free saving £32/month...easy[/p][/quote]Such hypocrisy from someone who on other threads was telling us all that everyone should pay for only the services they receive. Yet here are you freeloading off the honest license payer. Just because you can get away with something doesn't make it morally right. If you don't believe in the license fee then don't watch the BBC. By the way, does your house contain any equipment containinga TV tuner? If so, you need a TV license.[/p][/quote]It is absolutely legal not to pay TV license if you do not watch live broadcasts. I wanted to save money, I informed myself and now I am sharing this with you all. It is up to you to decide what to do, you can continue to pay your TV license or you can ditch it, please do not accuse others of wrong doing because of your lack of knowledge.[/p][/quote]I'm well aware that there is no licence fee for streaming non-live content. However I still pay the license fee. Who do you think pays for the content which you can't seem to live without? On previous threads you were very keen for people to pay for what they use. As I say - sheer hypocrisy. You do realise that you can be a hypocrite without breaking the law?[/p][/quote]To be fair I don't think A-B-C has once said he watches the BBC. And paying a license fee to watch the other 300+ channels available to us in the UK which are all supported by advertising seems a little off. I do watch live TV on occasion so have a license but very little is the dumbed down, patronising low quality stuff the BBC put out these days. The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man

2:10pm Wed 26 Feb 14

The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man says...

Badgersgetabadname wrote:
The TV licence page states that you need a licence to view or record which could be construed as catch up TV but with no specific reference it would be impossible to bring to court let alone convict.
The BBC player has a pop up that states you need a licence to watch.
Catch up TV is specifically excluded. See the link I posted above. You only need a license if you are watching liveTV.
[quote][p][bold]Badgersgetabadname[/bold] wrote: The TV licence page states that you need a licence to view or record which could be construed as catch up TV but with no specific reference it would be impossible to bring to court let alone convict. The BBC player has a pop up that states you need a licence to watch.[/p][/quote]Catch up TV is specifically excluded. See the link I posted above. You only need a license if you are watching liveTV. The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man

2:28pm Wed 26 Feb 14

A.Baron-Cohen says...

Phantom Poster wrote:
A.Baron-Cohen wrote:
Phantom Poster wrote:
A.Baron-Cohen wrote:
adsinibiza wrote:
Its about time the TV license was scrapped - it's an anachronism in the modern digital age
Well it is but it can be avoided very simply, I do not pay it as I stream TV and catch up TV over the net, I watch all the programs with 1H delay license and line rental free saving £32/month...easy
Such hypocrisy from someone who on other threads was telling us all that everyone should pay for only the services they receive. Yet here are you freeloading off the honest license payer. Just because you can get away with something doesn't make it morally right. If you don't believe in the license fee then don't watch the BBC.

By the way, does your house contain any equipment containinga TV tuner? If so, you need a TV license.
It is absolutely legal not to pay TV license if you do not watch live broadcasts.
I wanted to save money, I informed myself and now I am sharing this with you all.
It is up to you to decide what to do, you can continue to pay your TV license or you can ditch it, please do not accuse others of wrong doing because of your lack of knowledge.
I'm well aware that there is no licence fee for streaming non-live content. However I still pay the license fee. Who do you think pays for the content which you can't seem to live without? On previous threads you were very keen for people to pay for what they use. As I say - sheer hypocrisy. You do realise that you can be a hypocrite without breaking the law?
I am being savvy, I pay for what I use, why should I pay for something that the Law says I do not need to pay for?!? this is not Hypocrisy this is common sense.
What I save on TV license, we use to pay for movies/channels that we really want to watch, this is giving the family the choice to watch personalized TV.
on the same principle, I do not pay road tax (VED) either, because my car does not attract VED, this is not illegal why should I pay for it?
[quote][p][bold]Phantom Poster[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]A.Baron-Cohen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Phantom Poster[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]A.Baron-Cohen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]adsinibiza[/bold] wrote: Its about time the TV license was scrapped - it's an anachronism in the modern digital age[/p][/quote]Well it is but it can be avoided very simply, I do not pay it as I stream TV and catch up TV over the net, I watch all the programs with 1H delay license and line rental free saving £32/month...easy[/p][/quote]Such hypocrisy from someone who on other threads was telling us all that everyone should pay for only the services they receive. Yet here are you freeloading off the honest license payer. Just because you can get away with something doesn't make it morally right. If you don't believe in the license fee then don't watch the BBC. By the way, does your house contain any equipment containinga TV tuner? If so, you need a TV license.[/p][/quote]It is absolutely legal not to pay TV license if you do not watch live broadcasts. I wanted to save money, I informed myself and now I am sharing this with you all. It is up to you to decide what to do, you can continue to pay your TV license or you can ditch it, please do not accuse others of wrong doing because of your lack of knowledge.[/p][/quote]I'm well aware that there is no licence fee for streaming non-live content. However I still pay the license fee. Who do you think pays for the content which you can't seem to live without? On previous threads you were very keen for people to pay for what they use. As I say - sheer hypocrisy. You do realise that you can be a hypocrite without breaking the law?[/p][/quote]I am being savvy, I pay for what I use, why should I pay for something that the Law says I do not need to pay for?!? this is not Hypocrisy this is common sense. What I save on TV license, we use to pay for movies/channels that we really want to watch, this is giving the family the choice to watch personalized TV. on the same principle, I do not pay road tax (VED) either, because my car does not attract VED, this is not illegal why should I pay for it? A.Baron-Cohen

3:00pm Wed 26 Feb 14

PJC says...

Highworth Lad wrote:
A.Baron-Cohen wrote:
adsinibiza wrote:
Its about time the TV license was scrapped - it's an anachronism in the modern digital age
Well it is but it can be avoided very simply, I do not pay it as I stream TV and catch up TV over the net, I watch all the programs with 1H delay license and line rental free saving £32/month...easy
hmmm, I think you still have to have a licence even if you watch TV on a PC or lap top... I could be wrong
Yes. You do.
[quote][p][bold]Highworth Lad[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]A.Baron-Cohen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]adsinibiza[/bold] wrote: Its about time the TV license was scrapped - it's an anachronism in the modern digital age[/p][/quote]Well it is but it can be avoided very simply, I do not pay it as I stream TV and catch up TV over the net, I watch all the programs with 1H delay license and line rental free saving £32/month...easy[/p][/quote]hmmm, I think you still have to have a licence even if you watch TV on a PC or lap top... I could be wrong[/p][/quote]Yes. You do. PJC

3:59pm Wed 26 Feb 14

Hmmmf says...

Phantom Poster wrote:
Who do you think pays for the content which you can't seem to live without?

Content providers pay for the content they stream. Do you think the BBC funds ITV drama so that ITV can stream it out on the ITV Player? A.B-C pays his service provider to access the freely-available content on the web, only a miniscule fraction of which, as The Artist has said, is commissioned by the BBC. If the BBC didn't want people watching their programs on catchup, they would do as Sky do, and make their online programming only available to their paying customers. The fact that the BBC makes their past programmes freely available on the internet (though with some international rights restrictions) voids any 'moral' argument you might have concerning the viewing of them. If you feel such past programmes should not be available to anyone except those who pay the BBC fee, then you should take it up with the BBC, not with those who use a service freely given to them.
Personally I think making people pay for Dad's Army over and over again is not right, it's not fair, and it should be against the law.
[quote][p][bold]Phantom Poster[/bold] wrote: Who do you think pays for the content which you can't seem to live without?[/quote] Content providers pay for the content they stream. Do you think the BBC funds ITV drama so that ITV can stream it out on the ITV Player? A.B-C pays his service provider to access the freely-available content on the web, only a miniscule fraction of which, as The Artist has said, is commissioned by the BBC. If the BBC didn't want people watching their programs on catchup, they would do as Sky do, and make their online programming only available to their paying customers. The fact that the BBC makes their past programmes freely available on the internet (though with some international rights restrictions) voids any 'moral' argument you might have concerning the viewing of them. If you feel such past programmes should not be available to anyone except those who pay the BBC fee, then you should take it up with the BBC, not with those who use a service freely given to them. Personally I think making people pay for Dad's Army over and over again is not right, it's not fair, and it should be against the law. Hmmmf

8:09pm Wed 26 Feb 14

house on the hill says...

Hmmmf wrote:
Phantom Poster wrote:
Who do you think pays for the content which you can't seem to live without?

Content providers pay for the content they stream. Do you think the BBC funds ITV drama so that ITV can stream it out on the ITV Player? A.B-C pays his service provider to access the freely-available content on the web, only a miniscule fraction of which, as The Artist has said, is commissioned by the BBC. If the BBC didn't want people watching their programs on catchup, they would do as Sky do, and make their online programming only available to their paying customers. The fact that the BBC makes their past programmes freely available on the internet (though with some international rights restrictions) voids any 'moral' argument you might have concerning the viewing of them. If you feel such past programmes should not be available to anyone except those who pay the BBC fee, then you should take it up with the BBC, not with those who use a service freely given to them.
Personally I think making people pay for Dad's Army over and over again is not right, it's not fair, and it should be against the law.
Anyone still watching Dads Army really needs to get out more!
[quote][p][bold]Hmmmf[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Phantom Poster[/bold] wrote: Who do you think pays for the content which you can't seem to live without?[/quote] Content providers pay for the content they stream. Do you think the BBC funds ITV drama so that ITV can stream it out on the ITV Player? A.B-C pays his service provider to access the freely-available content on the web, only a miniscule fraction of which, as The Artist has said, is commissioned by the BBC. If the BBC didn't want people watching their programs on catchup, they would do as Sky do, and make their online programming only available to their paying customers. The fact that the BBC makes their past programmes freely available on the internet (though with some international rights restrictions) voids any 'moral' argument you might have concerning the viewing of them. If you feel such past programmes should not be available to anyone except those who pay the BBC fee, then you should take it up with the BBC, not with those who use a service freely given to them. Personally I think making people pay for Dad's Army over and over again is not right, it's not fair, and it should be against the law.[/p][/quote]Anyone still watching Dads Army really needs to get out more! house on the hill

10:40pm Wed 26 Feb 14

mrwoo says...

A.Baron-Cohen wrote:
Phantom Poster wrote:
A.Baron-Cohen wrote:
Phantom Poster wrote:
A.Baron-Cohen wrote:
adsinibiza wrote:
Its about time the TV license was scrapped - it's an anachronism in the modern digital age
Well it is but it can be avoided very simply, I do not pay it as I stream TV and catch up TV over the net, I watch all the programs with 1H delay license and line rental free saving £32/month...easy
Such hypocrisy from someone who on other threads was telling us all that everyone should pay for only the services they receive. Yet here are you freeloading off the honest license payer. Just because you can get away with something doesn't make it morally right. If you don't believe in the license fee then don't watch the BBC.

By the way, does your house contain any equipment containinga TV tuner? If so, you need a TV license.
It is absolutely legal not to pay TV license if you do not watch live broadcasts.
I wanted to save money, I informed myself and now I am sharing this with you all.
It is up to you to decide what to do, you can continue to pay your TV license or you can ditch it, please do not accuse others of wrong doing because of your lack of knowledge.
I'm well aware that there is no licence fee for streaming non-live content. However I still pay the license fee. Who do you think pays for the content which you can't seem to live without? On previous threads you were very keen for people to pay for what they use. As I say - sheer hypocrisy. You do realise that you can be a hypocrite without breaking the law?
I am being savvy, I pay for what I use, why should I pay for something that the Law says I do not need to pay for?!? this is not Hypocrisy this is common sense.
What I save on TV license, we use to pay for movies/channels that we really want to watch, this is giving the family the choice to watch personalized TV.
on the same principle, I do not pay road tax (VED) either, because my car does not attract VED, this is not illegal why should I pay for it?
You must have a really poo car! Bet my merc **** all over it vroooom!
[quote][p][bold]A.Baron-Cohen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Phantom Poster[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]A.Baron-Cohen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Phantom Poster[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]A.Baron-Cohen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]adsinibiza[/bold] wrote: Its about time the TV license was scrapped - it's an anachronism in the modern digital age[/p][/quote]Well it is but it can be avoided very simply, I do not pay it as I stream TV and catch up TV over the net, I watch all the programs with 1H delay license and line rental free saving £32/month...easy[/p][/quote]Such hypocrisy from someone who on other threads was telling us all that everyone should pay for only the services they receive. Yet here are you freeloading off the honest license payer. Just because you can get away with something doesn't make it morally right. If you don't believe in the license fee then don't watch the BBC. By the way, does your house contain any equipment containinga TV tuner? If so, you need a TV license.[/p][/quote]It is absolutely legal not to pay TV license if you do not watch live broadcasts. I wanted to save money, I informed myself and now I am sharing this with you all. It is up to you to decide what to do, you can continue to pay your TV license or you can ditch it, please do not accuse others of wrong doing because of your lack of knowledge.[/p][/quote]I'm well aware that there is no licence fee for streaming non-live content. However I still pay the license fee. Who do you think pays for the content which you can't seem to live without? On previous threads you were very keen for people to pay for what they use. As I say - sheer hypocrisy. You do realise that you can be a hypocrite without breaking the law?[/p][/quote]I am being savvy, I pay for what I use, why should I pay for something that the Law says I do not need to pay for?!? this is not Hypocrisy this is common sense. What I save on TV license, we use to pay for movies/channels that we really want to watch, this is giving the family the choice to watch personalized TV. on the same principle, I do not pay road tax (VED) either, because my car does not attract VED, this is not illegal why should I pay for it?[/p][/quote]You must have a really poo car! Bet my merc **** all over it vroooom! mrwoo

2:32pm Thu 27 Feb 14

Always Grumpy says...

A.Baron-Cohen wrote:
Phantom Poster wrote:
A.Baron-Cohen wrote:
Phantom Poster wrote:
A.Baron-Cohen wrote:
adsinibiza wrote:
Its about time the TV license was scrapped - it's an anachronism in the modern digital age
Well it is but it can be avoided very simply, I do not pay it as I stream TV and catch up TV over the net, I watch all the programs with 1H delay license and line rental free saving £32/month...easy
Such hypocrisy from someone who on other threads was telling us all that everyone should pay for only the services they receive. Yet here are you freeloading off the honest license payer. Just because you can get away with something doesn't make it morally right. If you don't believe in the license fee then don't watch the BBC.

By the way, does your house contain any equipment containinga TV tuner? If so, you need a TV license.
It is absolutely legal not to pay TV license if you do not watch live broadcasts.
I wanted to save money, I informed myself and now I am sharing this with you all.
It is up to you to decide what to do, you can continue to pay your TV license or you can ditch it, please do not accuse others of wrong doing because of your lack of knowledge.
I'm well aware that there is no licence fee for streaming non-live content. However I still pay the license fee. Who do you think pays for the content which you can't seem to live without? On previous threads you were very keen for people to pay for what they use. As I say - sheer hypocrisy. You do realise that you can be a hypocrite without breaking the law?
I am being savvy, I pay for what I use, why should I pay for something that the Law says I do not need to pay for?!? this is not Hypocrisy this is common sense.
What I save on TV license, we use to pay for movies/channels that we really want to watch, this is giving the family the choice to watch personalized TV.
on the same principle, I do not pay road tax (VED) either, because my car does not attract VED, this is not illegal why should I pay for it?
Yet you're quite happy for me to pay council tax for services you benefit from which I do not?
Oh, your really are quite an obnoxious hypocrite.
[quote][p][bold]A.Baron-Cohen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Phantom Poster[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]A.Baron-Cohen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Phantom Poster[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]A.Baron-Cohen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]adsinibiza[/bold] wrote: Its about time the TV license was scrapped - it's an anachronism in the modern digital age[/p][/quote]Well it is but it can be avoided very simply, I do not pay it as I stream TV and catch up TV over the net, I watch all the programs with 1H delay license and line rental free saving £32/month...easy[/p][/quote]Such hypocrisy from someone who on other threads was telling us all that everyone should pay for only the services they receive. Yet here are you freeloading off the honest license payer. Just because you can get away with something doesn't make it morally right. If you don't believe in the license fee then don't watch the BBC. By the way, does your house contain any equipment containinga TV tuner? If so, you need a TV license.[/p][/quote]It is absolutely legal not to pay TV license if you do not watch live broadcasts. I wanted to save money, I informed myself and now I am sharing this with you all. It is up to you to decide what to do, you can continue to pay your TV license or you can ditch it, please do not accuse others of wrong doing because of your lack of knowledge.[/p][/quote]I'm well aware that there is no licence fee for streaming non-live content. However I still pay the license fee. Who do you think pays for the content which you can't seem to live without? On previous threads you were very keen for people to pay for what they use. As I say - sheer hypocrisy. You do realise that you can be a hypocrite without breaking the law?[/p][/quote]I am being savvy, I pay for what I use, why should I pay for something that the Law says I do not need to pay for?!? this is not Hypocrisy this is common sense. What I save on TV license, we use to pay for movies/channels that we really want to watch, this is giving the family the choice to watch personalized TV. on the same principle, I do not pay road tax (VED) either, because my car does not attract VED, this is not illegal why should I pay for it?[/p][/quote]Yet you're quite happy for me to pay council tax for services you benefit from which I do not? Oh, your really are quite an obnoxious hypocrite. Always Grumpy

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree