Get involved! Send photos, video, news & views. Text SWINDON NEWS to 80360 or email us
Tesco stores are charity fundraising champions
3:41pm Wednesday 5th March 2014 in News
TESCO stores in Swindon are among those to have raised more than £18,500 for the company’s partnership with charity Diabetes UK.
Tesco Swindon Extra and Tesco Trowbridge Extra were the top fundraising performers in Wiltshire and their totals will go towards the £10m raised nationally through the partnership.
The Swindon store, which has raised almost £13,000, is the top raising store for the south west region. Tesco’s staff and customers have raised the amount within the first 12 months of the partnership Staff have taken on challenges and held fundraising events in stores. They have danced for diabetes, cycled the distance to Lapland on static bikes and sold second hand books.
Phaedra Perry, Diabetes UK’s regional manager for the south west said: “We’re delighted there are two top fundraising stores in Wiltshire.
“The Tesco colleagues at Swindon and Trowbridge have really embraced the partnership and organised some great events to help raise this incredible amount.”
The £10m has been invested in:
- Developing a Type 1 diabetes vaccine
- The biggest ever public awareness campaign on Type 2 diabetes
- Supporting newly diagnosed people at Living With Diabetes Days
- Helping 70,000 people to find out if they are at risk of getting Type 2 diabetes
- Extending the opening hours of the diabetes helpline and providing more than one million people with information about diabetes.
For more information about the National Charity Partnership between Tesco and Diabetes UK, go to www.diabetes.org.uk/tesco.
Comments are closed on this article.