Swindon AdvertiserBudget sets out to aid savers and OAPs (From Swindon Advertiser)

Get involved! Send photos, video, news & views. Text SWINDON NEWS to 80360 or email us

Budget sets out to aid savers and OAPs

Swindon Advertiser: Budget sets out to aid savers and OAPs Budget sets out to aid savers and OAPs

CHANCELLOR George Osbourne unveiled measures to boost the income of pensioners and savers hit by low interest rates yesterday.

In his Budget speech, he made tax-free ISAs more generous and unveiled a million new pensioner bonds.

The amount people earn before tax will also go up by £500 to £10,500.

Swindon-based Nationwide Building Society is delighted that, having called on the Chancellor for several years to equalise the limits for cash ISAs and stocks and shares ISAs, it has finally been granted.

Chief executive Graham Beale said: “The announcement to bring the amount people can save in a cash ISA in line with the amount that can be invested in a stocks and shares ISA is great news for Britain’s savers. “We have been campaigning for this to happen for many years now and I am delighted that the Chancellor has responded to our calls.

“The impact this will have on people looking for ways to make the most of their savings will be huge, with people now able to put in £15,000 a year with much greater flexibility. “It will reduce confusion on the differing amounts which could be saved in cash and stocks and shares and, more importantly, give people more flexibility to earn tax-free interest.

“It is particularly good for first time homebuyers who can now save even more towards their deposit in a tax-efficient ISA.”

The Chancellor also froze petrol duty, cut bingo tax from 20 per cent to 10 per cent, froze Scotch whisky and cider duty and cut a further 1p from a pint of beer, but put the price of cigarettes up.

James Arkell, the chairman of Arkells Brewery, welcomed the news.

He said: “It is wonderful news for Arkells because we haven’t put up our wholesale prices for months and we shan’t have to do so now.”

Fiona Andrews, the director of Smokefree South West said: “We welcome the rise above inflation in tobacco prices. “However, given real concerns over hand rolled tobacco use in the south west, it is disappointing this Budget has not narrowed the gap between manufactured and hand rolled brands.

“Seven out of ten smokers want to quit. Saving hundreds or even thousands of pounds each year can be hugely motivating in today’s climate when household budgets are over-stretched.

“Smokers are five times more likely to quit successfully using our free and effective local Stop Smoking Services than by going cold turkey.”

David Andrews, the chief executive of VisitWiltshire, also welcomed the news that from April 1 2015, the tax on long-haul flights between 4,001 and 6,000 miles will be reduced by £14 a person, while those over 6,000 miles will be cut by £26.

“We’re delighted Air Passenger Duty is being reformed for long-haul destinations,” he said.

“Britain’s aviation taxes are one of the highest in the world, and this is a good first step in changing this. Reducing the cost of APD for key international markets such as China, India, Australia and New Zealand is great news in supporting VisitWiltshire’s efforts to attract more international visitors.

“After having hosted a group of 30 Chinese tour operators on a two-day visit to Wiltshire last weekend, a reduction in the cost of visiting Britain of up to £108 per Chinese visitor, or up to £432 for a family of four, is very good news.”

There was also an announcement within the Budget which scrapped VAT on fuel for air ambulance services.

Cheryl Johnson, head of fundraising and development at Wiltshire Air Ambulance, said: “The situation at the moment is our operating costs are paid largely by the police. They don’t pass that onto us.

“When we get our new helicopter and go it alone in early December this latest news will be an advantage for us.

“For our one helicopter we will expect to save between £10,000 and £15,000 a year, which is fantastic. That will be from when we go it alone.”

Comments (15)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:43am Thu 20 Mar 14

fuzzey says...

I don't see how this has helped those living on a state pension who do not play bingo or drink beer.it is miss leading making younger believe so much help going to the elderly .i have a leaflet through my door which says if elected labour will reintroduce free green waste collection .this is a very important issue to many pensioners whose love of their gardens is the main thing in life .also paying over one thousand in council tax this service is already paid for .how can the government say no council tax rises ????
I don't see how this has helped those living on a state pension who do not play bingo or drink beer.it is miss leading making younger believe so much help going to the elderly .i have a leaflet through my door which says if elected labour will reintroduce free green waste collection .this is a very important issue to many pensioners whose love of their gardens is the main thing in life .also paying over one thousand in council tax this service is already paid for .how can the government say no council tax rises ???? fuzzey
  • Score: 6

2:06pm Thu 20 Mar 14

A.Baron-Cohen says...

fuzzey wrote:
I don't see how this has helped those living on a state pension who do not play bingo or drink beer.it is miss leading making younger believe so much help going to the elderly .i have a leaflet through my door which says if elected labour will reintroduce free green waste collection .this is a very important issue to many pensioners whose love of their gardens is the main thing in life .also paying over one thousand in council tax this service is already paid for .how can the government say no council tax rises ????
Stop moaning and be grateful for what you have, who can say what pension will be state provided in 30-40 years?
[quote][p][bold]fuzzey[/bold] wrote: I don't see how this has helped those living on a state pension who do not play bingo or drink beer.it is miss leading making younger believe so much help going to the elderly .i have a leaflet through my door which says if elected labour will reintroduce free green waste collection .this is a very important issue to many pensioners whose love of their gardens is the main thing in life .also paying over one thousand in council tax this service is already paid for .how can the government say no council tax rises ????[/p][/quote]Stop moaning and be grateful for what you have, who can say what pension will be state provided in 30-40 years? A.Baron-Cohen
  • Score: -5

5:49pm Thu 20 Mar 14

BeardyBill says...

Is the Adver the mouthpiece of Conservative Central Office now? This is a very one sided report which follows the Governments line. This isn't a budget that helps the man in the street, there is nothing for the young here - Gideon has cynically targeted his paltry giveaways at the grey vote, probably because they are the group more likely to vote, and are also more likely to be at threat of shifting support to UKIP.
Wages stagnant, food and energy prices rising ahead of inflation, more years of austerity to look forward to......and the fact is, the Tories have NOT fixed the economy, and the national debt is higher now than when they took office. Instead we have propaganda designed to divide and rule - blame the disabled, blame the last Govt, blame people on £70 quid a week benefits for daring to have big TVs. ...meanwhile, we dole out huge amounts of public cash to large corporates who make donations to the Tories, and then syphon off their profits through offshore companies to avoid tax.

I would get annoyed about it if it wasn't so hopeless.....
Is the Adver the mouthpiece of Conservative Central Office now? This is a very one sided report which follows the Governments line. This isn't a budget that helps the man in the street, there is nothing for the young here - Gideon has cynically targeted his paltry giveaways at the grey vote, probably because they are the group more likely to vote, and are also more likely to be at threat of shifting support to UKIP. Wages stagnant, food and energy prices rising ahead of inflation, more years of austerity to look forward to......and the fact is, the Tories have NOT fixed the economy, and the national debt is higher now than when they took office. Instead we have propaganda designed to divide and rule - blame the disabled, blame the last Govt, blame people on £70 quid a week benefits for daring to have big TVs. ...meanwhile, we dole out huge amounts of public cash to large corporates who make donations to the Tories, and then syphon off their profits through offshore companies to avoid tax. I would get annoyed about it if it wasn't so hopeless..... BeardyBill
  • Score: 2

7:10pm Thu 20 Mar 14

The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man says...

BeardyBill wrote:
Is the Adver the mouthpiece of Conservative Central Office now? This is a very one sided report which follows the Governments line. This isn't a budget that helps the man in the street, there is nothing for the young here - Gideon has cynically targeted his paltry giveaways at the grey vote, probably because they are the group more likely to vote, and are also more likely to be at threat of shifting support to UKIP.
Wages stagnant, food and energy prices rising ahead of inflation, more years of austerity to look forward to......and the fact is, the Tories have NOT fixed the economy, and the national debt is higher now than when they took office. Instead we have propaganda designed to divide and rule - blame the disabled, blame the last Govt, blame people on £70 quid a week benefits for daring to have big TVs. ...meanwhile, we dole out huge amounts of public cash to large corporates who make donations to the Tories, and then syphon off their profits through offshore companies to avoid tax.

I would get annoyed about it if it wasn't so hopeless.....
(Firstly, calling George Osbourne "Gideon" doesn't make you big or clever)

Of course it's a cynical move designed to placate their core voters. That's exactly the same as all other political parties do.

Whether you like it or not, the last government DID spend more money than they had. Basic economics states that if you spend more money than you have sooner or later you will have to pay it back. It was them that put us in the position we are currently in by buying votes from their core voters, ironically exactly the same thing you're accusing the tories of doing. We will be paying off the excesses of the last government for many years to come.

And whether you like it or not the welfare bill is the single highest area of government spending and has been the fastest rising area of government spending for many years. It makes sense to target this area when looking for areas to reduce the deficit.

Very few large corporates have "avoided" tax - It's not 1975 any more and most big businesses are now international. They are operating completely within the law. There's not a lot of point in changing tax law in this country without a global or at least European harmonisation of tax laws - without this corporates will simply move to other countries, costing jobs in this country.
[quote][p][bold]BeardyBill[/bold] wrote: Is the Adver the mouthpiece of Conservative Central Office now? This is a very one sided report which follows the Governments line. This isn't a budget that helps the man in the street, there is nothing for the young here - Gideon has cynically targeted his paltry giveaways at the grey vote, probably because they are the group more likely to vote, and are also more likely to be at threat of shifting support to UKIP. Wages stagnant, food and energy prices rising ahead of inflation, more years of austerity to look forward to......and the fact is, the Tories have NOT fixed the economy, and the national debt is higher now than when they took office. Instead we have propaganda designed to divide and rule - blame the disabled, blame the last Govt, blame people on £70 quid a week benefits for daring to have big TVs. ...meanwhile, we dole out huge amounts of public cash to large corporates who make donations to the Tories, and then syphon off their profits through offshore companies to avoid tax. I would get annoyed about it if it wasn't so hopeless.....[/p][/quote](Firstly, calling George Osbourne "Gideon" doesn't make you big or clever) Of course it's a cynical move designed to placate their core voters. That's exactly the same as all other political parties do. Whether you like it or not, the last government DID spend more money than they had. Basic economics states that if you spend more money than you have sooner or later you will have to pay it back. It was them that put us in the position we are currently in by buying votes from their core voters, ironically exactly the same thing you're accusing the tories of doing. We will be paying off the excesses of the last government for many years to come. And whether you like it or not the welfare bill is the single highest area of government spending and has been the fastest rising area of government spending for many years. It makes sense to target this area when looking for areas to reduce the deficit. Very few large corporates have "avoided" tax - It's not 1975 any more and most big businesses are now international. They are operating completely within the law. There's not a lot of point in changing tax law in this country without a global or at least European harmonisation of tax laws - without this corporates will simply move to other countries, costing jobs in this country. The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man
  • Score: -2

10:05pm Thu 20 Mar 14

BeardyBill says...

The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man wrote:
BeardyBill wrote:
Is the Adver the mouthpiece of Conservative Central Office now? This is a very one sided report which follows the Governments line. This isn't a budget that helps the man in the street, there is nothing for the young here - Gideon has cynically targeted his paltry giveaways at the grey vote, probably because they are the group more likely to vote, and are also more likely to be at threat of shifting support to UKIP.
Wages stagnant, food and energy prices rising ahead of inflation, more years of austerity to look forward to......and the fact is, the Tories have NOT fixed the economy, and the national debt is higher now than when they took office. Instead we have propaganda designed to divide and rule - blame the disabled, blame the last Govt, blame people on £70 quid a week benefits for daring to have big TVs. ...meanwhile, we dole out huge amounts of public cash to large corporates who make donations to the Tories, and then syphon off their profits through offshore companies to avoid tax.

I would get annoyed about it if it wasn't so hopeless.....
(Firstly, calling George Osbourne "Gideon" doesn't make you big or clever)

Of course it's a cynical move designed to placate their core voters. That's exactly the same as all other political parties do.

Whether you like it or not, the last government DID spend more money than they had. Basic economics states that if you spend more money than you have sooner or later you will have to pay it back. It was them that put us in the position we are currently in by buying votes from their core voters, ironically exactly the same thing you're accusing the tories of doing. We will be paying off the excesses of the last government for many years to come.

And whether you like it or not the welfare bill is the single highest area of government spending and has been the fastest rising area of government spending for many years. It makes sense to target this area when looking for areas to reduce the deficit.

Very few large corporates have "avoided" tax - It's not 1975 any more and most big businesses are now international. They are operating completely within the law. There's not a lot of point in changing tax law in this country without a global or at least European harmonisation of tax laws - without this corporates will simply move to other countries, costing jobs in this country.
Grumpy,

Firstly, I'm not claiming to be big or clever, but I'll call Gideon by his real name...he's the one that changed it to try and be something he is not.

You've really bought into the Tory narrative haven't you? I'm not impressed with the old trick of whenever there is criticism, deflect it with comparisons to other parties. It doesn't work because a) this bunch of muppets have been in power for 4 years, and it's their record I'm commenting on, and b) you make the assumption that I support one of the other parties - I don't, I hold them in equal contempt, with the possible exception of the Liberals who should be despised for the political whores that they are.

So you are justifying Tory gerrymandering on the basis that Labour did it? Pathetic - it's telling that you, as a die hard supporter can't even muster a token argument that justifies the actions in a reasonable way.

Welfare does need tackling, but not by just arbitrarily cutting it. Let's look at the massive amount of Government waste - how much has IDS wasted on welfare reforms that don't work? How much has the reorganisation of the NHS cost? Face facts, the UK is still in the top 10 world economies...WE ARE NOT GREECE. There is money, but it's what Governments choose to spend it on, and this current Government is in the pocket of big business. It is making the CHOICE to transfer public assets on the cheap as a matter of dogma. It is nothing short of lunacy to subsidise profitable supermarkets by topping up wages with tax credits. It is crazy to lease a new hospital or school, and pay over the odds for 30 years. Similarly, why are we paying huge amounts of £ to private landlords, rather than investing in Council housing.

You claim that companies will move out of the UK if they don't like the trading conditions - utter, utter rubbish. All the time there is a market for their goods here, they will operate here. Threats to leave are simply hollow threats. If a certain Internet Book retailer was made to pay the full tax on UK sales, they would make less profit, but there is no way they would pull out of the market.

I want a government that acts in the best interest of the nation. This government acts in a very narrow self serving way, looking after itself and it's backers, screw everyone else
[quote][p][bold]The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BeardyBill[/bold] wrote: Is the Adver the mouthpiece of Conservative Central Office now? This is a very one sided report which follows the Governments line. This isn't a budget that helps the man in the street, there is nothing for the young here - Gideon has cynically targeted his paltry giveaways at the grey vote, probably because they are the group more likely to vote, and are also more likely to be at threat of shifting support to UKIP. Wages stagnant, food and energy prices rising ahead of inflation, more years of austerity to look forward to......and the fact is, the Tories have NOT fixed the economy, and the national debt is higher now than when they took office. Instead we have propaganda designed to divide and rule - blame the disabled, blame the last Govt, blame people on £70 quid a week benefits for daring to have big TVs. ...meanwhile, we dole out huge amounts of public cash to large corporates who make donations to the Tories, and then syphon off their profits through offshore companies to avoid tax. I would get annoyed about it if it wasn't so hopeless.....[/p][/quote](Firstly, calling George Osbourne "Gideon" doesn't make you big or clever) Of course it's a cynical move designed to placate their core voters. That's exactly the same as all other political parties do. Whether you like it or not, the last government DID spend more money than they had. Basic economics states that if you spend more money than you have sooner or later you will have to pay it back. It was them that put us in the position we are currently in by buying votes from their core voters, ironically exactly the same thing you're accusing the tories of doing. We will be paying off the excesses of the last government for many years to come. And whether you like it or not the welfare bill is the single highest area of government spending and has been the fastest rising area of government spending for many years. It makes sense to target this area when looking for areas to reduce the deficit. Very few large corporates have "avoided" tax - It's not 1975 any more and most big businesses are now international. They are operating completely within the law. There's not a lot of point in changing tax law in this country without a global or at least European harmonisation of tax laws - without this corporates will simply move to other countries, costing jobs in this country.[/p][/quote]Grumpy, Firstly, I'm not claiming to be big or clever, but I'll call Gideon by his real name...he's the one that changed it to try and be something he is not. You've really bought into the Tory narrative haven't you? I'm not impressed with the old trick of whenever there is criticism, deflect it with comparisons to other parties. It doesn't work because a) this bunch of muppets have been in power for 4 years, and it's their record I'm commenting on, and b) you make the assumption that I support one of the other parties - I don't, I hold them in equal contempt, with the possible exception of the Liberals who should be despised for the political whores that they are. So you are justifying Tory gerrymandering on the basis that Labour did it? Pathetic - it's telling that you, as a die hard supporter can't even muster a token argument that justifies the actions in a reasonable way. Welfare does need tackling, but not by just arbitrarily cutting it. Let's look at the massive amount of Government waste - how much has IDS wasted on welfare reforms that don't work? How much has the reorganisation of the NHS cost? Face facts, the UK is still in the top 10 world economies...WE ARE NOT GREECE. There is money, but it's what Governments choose to spend it on, and this current Government is in the pocket of big business. It is making the CHOICE to transfer public assets on the cheap as a matter of dogma. It is nothing short of lunacy to subsidise profitable supermarkets by topping up wages with tax credits. It is crazy to lease a new hospital or school, and pay over the odds for 30 years. Similarly, why are we paying huge amounts of £ to private landlords, rather than investing in Council housing. You claim that companies will move out of the UK if they don't like the trading conditions - utter, utter rubbish. All the time there is a market for their goods here, they will operate here. Threats to leave are simply hollow threats. If a certain Internet Book retailer was made to pay the full tax on UK sales, they would make less profit, but there is no way they would pull out of the market. I want a government that acts in the best interest of the nation. This government acts in a very narrow self serving way, looking after itself and it's backers, screw everyone else BeardyBill
  • Score: 2

8:39am Fri 21 Mar 14

A.Baron-Cohen says...

BeardyBill wrote:
The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man wrote:
BeardyBill wrote:
Is the Adver the mouthpiece of Conservative Central Office now? This is a very one sided report which follows the Governments line. This isn't a budget that helps the man in the street, there is nothing for the young here - Gideon has cynically targeted his paltry giveaways at the grey vote, probably because they are the group more likely to vote, and are also more likely to be at threat of shifting support to UKIP.
Wages stagnant, food and energy prices rising ahead of inflation, more years of austerity to look forward to......and the fact is, the Tories have NOT fixed the economy, and the national debt is higher now than when they took office. Instead we have propaganda designed to divide and rule - blame the disabled, blame the last Govt, blame people on £70 quid a week benefits for daring to have big TVs. ...meanwhile, we dole out huge amounts of public cash to large corporates who make donations to the Tories, and then syphon off their profits through offshore companies to avoid tax.

I would get annoyed about it if it wasn't so hopeless.....
(Firstly, calling George Osbourne "Gideon" doesn't make you big or clever)

Of course it's a cynical move designed to placate their core voters. That's exactly the same as all other political parties do.

Whether you like it or not, the last government DID spend more money than they had. Basic economics states that if you spend more money than you have sooner or later you will have to pay it back. It was them that put us in the position we are currently in by buying votes from their core voters, ironically exactly the same thing you're accusing the tories of doing. We will be paying off the excesses of the last government for many years to come.

And whether you like it or not the welfare bill is the single highest area of government spending and has been the fastest rising area of government spending for many years. It makes sense to target this area when looking for areas to reduce the deficit.

Very few large corporates have "avoided" tax - It's not 1975 any more and most big businesses are now international. They are operating completely within the law. There's not a lot of point in changing tax law in this country without a global or at least European harmonisation of tax laws - without this corporates will simply move to other countries, costing jobs in this country.
Grumpy,

Firstly, I'm not claiming to be big or clever, but I'll call Gideon by his real name...he's the one that changed it to try and be something he is not.

You've really bought into the Tory narrative haven't you? I'm not impressed with the old trick of whenever there is criticism, deflect it with comparisons to other parties. It doesn't work because a) this bunch of muppets have been in power for 4 years, and it's their record I'm commenting on, and b) you make the assumption that I support one of the other parties - I don't, I hold them in equal contempt, with the possible exception of the Liberals who should be despised for the political whores that they are.

So you are justifying Tory gerrymandering on the basis that Labour did it? Pathetic - it's telling that you, as a die hard supporter can't even muster a token argument that justifies the actions in a reasonable way.

Welfare does need tackling, but not by just arbitrarily cutting it. Let's look at the massive amount of Government waste - how much has IDS wasted on welfare reforms that don't work? How much has the reorganisation of the NHS cost? Face facts, the UK is still in the top 10 world economies...WE ARE NOT GREECE. There is money, but it's what Governments choose to spend it on, and this current Government is in the pocket of big business. It is making the CHOICE to transfer public assets on the cheap as a matter of dogma. It is nothing short of lunacy to subsidise profitable supermarkets by topping up wages with tax credits. It is crazy to lease a new hospital or school, and pay over the odds for 30 years. Similarly, why are we paying huge amounts of £ to private landlords, rather than investing in Council housing.

You claim that companies will move out of the UK if they don't like the trading conditions - utter, utter rubbish. All the time there is a market for their goods here, they will operate here. Threats to leave are simply hollow threats. If a certain Internet Book retailer was made to pay the full tax on UK sales, they would make less profit, but there is no way they would pull out of the market.

I want a government that acts in the best interest of the nation. This government acts in a very narrow self serving way, looking after itself and it's backers, screw everyone else
Maybe you should keep in mind the huge mountain of debt that needs paying everymonth, and the huge budget deficit that we need to finance on a weekly basis.
Let me ask you, who do you think would lend the UK money if we are crusading against businesses?
As a country we need business investment, we need to export more and we need to spend less, how exactly are you proposing to achieve this by slapping big corporations with taxes bills.
I am not saying that what Mr Cameron is morally right, but there is no OTHER WAY. This country is bankrupt, the only people keeping us afloat are those in Europe and elsewhere lending us money every month on the basis that we will be able to pay them back.
Time to wake up and grow up!
[quote][p][bold]BeardyBill[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BeardyBill[/bold] wrote: Is the Adver the mouthpiece of Conservative Central Office now? This is a very one sided report which follows the Governments line. This isn't a budget that helps the man in the street, there is nothing for the young here - Gideon has cynically targeted his paltry giveaways at the grey vote, probably because they are the group more likely to vote, and are also more likely to be at threat of shifting support to UKIP. Wages stagnant, food and energy prices rising ahead of inflation, more years of austerity to look forward to......and the fact is, the Tories have NOT fixed the economy, and the national debt is higher now than when they took office. Instead we have propaganda designed to divide and rule - blame the disabled, blame the last Govt, blame people on £70 quid a week benefits for daring to have big TVs. ...meanwhile, we dole out huge amounts of public cash to large corporates who make donations to the Tories, and then syphon off their profits through offshore companies to avoid tax. I would get annoyed about it if it wasn't so hopeless.....[/p][/quote](Firstly, calling George Osbourne "Gideon" doesn't make you big or clever) Of course it's a cynical move designed to placate their core voters. That's exactly the same as all other political parties do. Whether you like it or not, the last government DID spend more money than they had. Basic economics states that if you spend more money than you have sooner or later you will have to pay it back. It was them that put us in the position we are currently in by buying votes from their core voters, ironically exactly the same thing you're accusing the tories of doing. We will be paying off the excesses of the last government for many years to come. And whether you like it or not the welfare bill is the single highest area of government spending and has been the fastest rising area of government spending for many years. It makes sense to target this area when looking for areas to reduce the deficit. Very few large corporates have "avoided" tax - It's not 1975 any more and most big businesses are now international. They are operating completely within the law. There's not a lot of point in changing tax law in this country without a global or at least European harmonisation of tax laws - without this corporates will simply move to other countries, costing jobs in this country.[/p][/quote]Grumpy, Firstly, I'm not claiming to be big or clever, but I'll call Gideon by his real name...he's the one that changed it to try and be something he is not. You've really bought into the Tory narrative haven't you? I'm not impressed with the old trick of whenever there is criticism, deflect it with comparisons to other parties. It doesn't work because a) this bunch of muppets have been in power for 4 years, and it's their record I'm commenting on, and b) you make the assumption that I support one of the other parties - I don't, I hold them in equal contempt, with the possible exception of the Liberals who should be despised for the political whores that they are. So you are justifying Tory gerrymandering on the basis that Labour did it? Pathetic - it's telling that you, as a die hard supporter can't even muster a token argument that justifies the actions in a reasonable way. Welfare does need tackling, but not by just arbitrarily cutting it. Let's look at the massive amount of Government waste - how much has IDS wasted on welfare reforms that don't work? How much has the reorganisation of the NHS cost? Face facts, the UK is still in the top 10 world economies...WE ARE NOT GREECE. There is money, but it's what Governments choose to spend it on, and this current Government is in the pocket of big business. It is making the CHOICE to transfer public assets on the cheap as a matter of dogma. It is nothing short of lunacy to subsidise profitable supermarkets by topping up wages with tax credits. It is crazy to lease a new hospital or school, and pay over the odds for 30 years. Similarly, why are we paying huge amounts of £ to private landlords, rather than investing in Council housing. You claim that companies will move out of the UK if they don't like the trading conditions - utter, utter rubbish. All the time there is a market for their goods here, they will operate here. Threats to leave are simply hollow threats. If a certain Internet Book retailer was made to pay the full tax on UK sales, they would make less profit, but there is no way they would pull out of the market. I want a government that acts in the best interest of the nation. This government acts in a very narrow self serving way, looking after itself and it's backers, screw everyone else[/p][/quote]Maybe you should keep in mind the huge mountain of debt that needs paying everymonth, and the huge budget deficit that we need to finance on a weekly basis. Let me ask you, who do you think would lend the UK money if we are crusading against businesses? As a country we need business investment, we need to export more and we need to spend less, how exactly are you proposing to achieve this by slapping big corporations with taxes bills. I am not saying that what Mr Cameron is morally right, but there is no OTHER WAY. This country is bankrupt, the only people keeping us afloat are those in Europe and elsewhere lending us money every month on the basis that we will be able to pay them back. Time to wake up and grow up! A.Baron-Cohen
  • Score: -1

9:37am Fri 21 Mar 14

Morsey says...

BeardyBill wrote:
The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man wrote:
BeardyBill wrote:
Is the Adver the mouthpiece of Conservative Central Office now? This is a very one sided report which follows the Governments line. This isn't a budget that helps the man in the street, there is nothing for the young here - Gideon has cynically targeted his paltry giveaways at the grey vote, probably because they are the group more likely to vote, and are also more likely to be at threat of shifting support to UKIP.
Wages stagnant, food and energy prices rising ahead of inflation, more years of austerity to look forward to......and the fact is, the Tories have NOT fixed the economy, and the national debt is higher now than when they took office. Instead we have propaganda designed to divide and rule - blame the disabled, blame the last Govt, blame people on £70 quid a week benefits for daring to have big TVs. ...meanwhile, we dole out huge amounts of public cash to large corporates who make donations to the Tories, and then syphon off their profits through offshore companies to avoid tax.

I would get annoyed about it if it wasn't so hopeless.....
(Firstly, calling George Osbourne "Gideon" doesn't make you big or clever)

Of course it's a cynical move designed to placate their core voters. That's exactly the same as all other political parties do.

Whether you like it or not, the last government DID spend more money than they had. Basic economics states that if you spend more money than you have sooner or later you will have to pay it back. It was them that put us in the position we are currently in by buying votes from their core voters, ironically exactly the same thing you're accusing the tories of doing. We will be paying off the excesses of the last government for many years to come.

And whether you like it or not the welfare bill is the single highest area of government spending and has been the fastest rising area of government spending for many years. It makes sense to target this area when looking for areas to reduce the deficit.

Very few large corporates have "avoided" tax - It's not 1975 any more and most big businesses are now international. They are operating completely within the law. There's not a lot of point in changing tax law in this country without a global or at least European harmonisation of tax laws - without this corporates will simply move to other countries, costing jobs in this country.
Grumpy,

Firstly, I'm not claiming to be big or clever, but I'll call Gideon by his real name...he's the one that changed it to try and be something he is not.

You've really bought into the Tory narrative haven't you? I'm not impressed with the old trick of whenever there is criticism, deflect it with comparisons to other parties. It doesn't work because a) this bunch of muppets have been in power for 4 years, and it's their record I'm commenting on, and b) you make the assumption that I support one of the other parties - I don't, I hold them in equal contempt, with the possible exception of the Liberals who should be despised for the political whores that they are.

So you are justifying Tory gerrymandering on the basis that Labour did it? Pathetic - it's telling that you, as a die hard supporter can't even muster a token argument that justifies the actions in a reasonable way.

Welfare does need tackling, but not by just arbitrarily cutting it. Let's look at the massive amount of Government waste - how much has IDS wasted on welfare reforms that don't work? How much has the reorganisation of the NHS cost? Face facts, the UK is still in the top 10 world economies...WE ARE NOT GREECE. There is money, but it's what Governments choose to spend it on, and this current Government is in the pocket of big business. It is making the CHOICE to transfer public assets on the cheap as a matter of dogma. It is nothing short of lunacy to subsidise profitable supermarkets by topping up wages with tax credits. It is crazy to lease a new hospital or school, and pay over the odds for 30 years. Similarly, why are we paying huge amounts of £ to private landlords, rather than investing in Council housing.

You claim that companies will move out of the UK if they don't like the trading conditions - utter, utter rubbish. All the time there is a market for their goods here, they will operate here. Threats to leave are simply hollow threats. If a certain Internet Book retailer was made to pay the full tax on UK sales, they would make less profit, but there is no way they would pull out of the market.

I want a government that acts in the best interest of the nation. This government acts in a very narrow self serving way, looking after itself and it's backers, screw everyone else
What an excellent, well-balanced post!
[quote][p][bold]BeardyBill[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BeardyBill[/bold] wrote: Is the Adver the mouthpiece of Conservative Central Office now? This is a very one sided report which follows the Governments line. This isn't a budget that helps the man in the street, there is nothing for the young here - Gideon has cynically targeted his paltry giveaways at the grey vote, probably because they are the group more likely to vote, and are also more likely to be at threat of shifting support to UKIP. Wages stagnant, food and energy prices rising ahead of inflation, more years of austerity to look forward to......and the fact is, the Tories have NOT fixed the economy, and the national debt is higher now than when they took office. Instead we have propaganda designed to divide and rule - blame the disabled, blame the last Govt, blame people on £70 quid a week benefits for daring to have big TVs. ...meanwhile, we dole out huge amounts of public cash to large corporates who make donations to the Tories, and then syphon off their profits through offshore companies to avoid tax. I would get annoyed about it if it wasn't so hopeless.....[/p][/quote](Firstly, calling George Osbourne "Gideon" doesn't make you big or clever) Of course it's a cynical move designed to placate their core voters. That's exactly the same as all other political parties do. Whether you like it or not, the last government DID spend more money than they had. Basic economics states that if you spend more money than you have sooner or later you will have to pay it back. It was them that put us in the position we are currently in by buying votes from their core voters, ironically exactly the same thing you're accusing the tories of doing. We will be paying off the excesses of the last government for many years to come. And whether you like it or not the welfare bill is the single highest area of government spending and has been the fastest rising area of government spending for many years. It makes sense to target this area when looking for areas to reduce the deficit. Very few large corporates have "avoided" tax - It's not 1975 any more and most big businesses are now international. They are operating completely within the law. There's not a lot of point in changing tax law in this country without a global or at least European harmonisation of tax laws - without this corporates will simply move to other countries, costing jobs in this country.[/p][/quote]Grumpy, Firstly, I'm not claiming to be big or clever, but I'll call Gideon by his real name...he's the one that changed it to try and be something he is not. You've really bought into the Tory narrative haven't you? I'm not impressed with the old trick of whenever there is criticism, deflect it with comparisons to other parties. It doesn't work because a) this bunch of muppets have been in power for 4 years, and it's their record I'm commenting on, and b) you make the assumption that I support one of the other parties - I don't, I hold them in equal contempt, with the possible exception of the Liberals who should be despised for the political whores that they are. So you are justifying Tory gerrymandering on the basis that Labour did it? Pathetic - it's telling that you, as a die hard supporter can't even muster a token argument that justifies the actions in a reasonable way. Welfare does need tackling, but not by just arbitrarily cutting it. Let's look at the massive amount of Government waste - how much has IDS wasted on welfare reforms that don't work? How much has the reorganisation of the NHS cost? Face facts, the UK is still in the top 10 world economies...WE ARE NOT GREECE. There is money, but it's what Governments choose to spend it on, and this current Government is in the pocket of big business. It is making the CHOICE to transfer public assets on the cheap as a matter of dogma. It is nothing short of lunacy to subsidise profitable supermarkets by topping up wages with tax credits. It is crazy to lease a new hospital or school, and pay over the odds for 30 years. Similarly, why are we paying huge amounts of £ to private landlords, rather than investing in Council housing. You claim that companies will move out of the UK if they don't like the trading conditions - utter, utter rubbish. All the time there is a market for their goods here, they will operate here. Threats to leave are simply hollow threats. If a certain Internet Book retailer was made to pay the full tax on UK sales, they would make less profit, but there is no way they would pull out of the market. I want a government that acts in the best interest of the nation. This government acts in a very narrow self serving way, looking after itself and it's backers, screw everyone else[/p][/quote]What an excellent, well-balanced post! Morsey
  • Score: 0

10:05am Fri 21 Mar 14

ChannelX says...

BeardyBill wrote:
Is the Adver the mouthpiece of Conservative Central Office now? This is a very one sided report which follows the Governments line. This isn't a budget that helps the man in the street, there is nothing for the young here - Gideon has cynically targeted his paltry giveaways at the grey vote, probably because they are the group more likely to vote, and are also more likely to be at threat of shifting support to UKIP.
Wages stagnant, food and energy prices rising ahead of inflation, more years of austerity to look forward to......and the fact is, the Tories have NOT fixed the economy, and the national debt is higher now than when they took office. Instead we have propaganda designed to divide and rule - blame the disabled, blame the last Govt, blame people on £70 quid a week benefits for daring to have big TVs. ...meanwhile, we dole out huge amounts of public cash to large corporates who make donations to the Tories, and then syphon off their profits through offshore companies to avoid tax.

I would get annoyed about it if it wasn't so hopeless.....
Nobody is on 'just' £70 a week of free money. They will get their entire housing costs paid for and numerous other benefits either paid to them or expenses covered by the State.
[quote][p][bold]BeardyBill[/bold] wrote: Is the Adver the mouthpiece of Conservative Central Office now? This is a very one sided report which follows the Governments line. This isn't a budget that helps the man in the street, there is nothing for the young here - Gideon has cynically targeted his paltry giveaways at the grey vote, probably because they are the group more likely to vote, and are also more likely to be at threat of shifting support to UKIP. Wages stagnant, food and energy prices rising ahead of inflation, more years of austerity to look forward to......and the fact is, the Tories have NOT fixed the economy, and the national debt is higher now than when they took office. Instead we have propaganda designed to divide and rule - blame the disabled, blame the last Govt, blame people on £70 quid a week benefits for daring to have big TVs. ...meanwhile, we dole out huge amounts of public cash to large corporates who make donations to the Tories, and then syphon off their profits through offshore companies to avoid tax. I would get annoyed about it if it wasn't so hopeless.....[/p][/quote]Nobody is on 'just' £70 a week of free money. They will get their entire housing costs paid for and numerous other benefits either paid to them or expenses covered by the State. ChannelX
  • Score: 0

11:19am Fri 21 Mar 14

The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man says...

BeardyBill wrote:
The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man wrote:
BeardyBill wrote:
Is the Adver the mouthpiece of Conservative Central Office now? This is a very one sided report which follows the Governments line. This isn't a budget that helps the man in the street, there is nothing for the young here - Gideon has cynically targeted his paltry giveaways at the grey vote, probably because they are the group more likely to vote, and are also more likely to be at threat of shifting support to UKIP.
Wages stagnant, food and energy prices rising ahead of inflation, more years of austerity to look forward to......and the fact is, the Tories have NOT fixed the economy, and the national debt is higher now than when they took office. Instead we have propaganda designed to divide and rule - blame the disabled, blame the last Govt, blame people on £70 quid a week benefits for daring to have big TVs. ...meanwhile, we dole out huge amounts of public cash to large corporates who make donations to the Tories, and then syphon off their profits through offshore companies to avoid tax.

I would get annoyed about it if it wasn't so hopeless.....
(Firstly, calling George Osbourne "Gideon" doesn't make you big or clever)

Of course it's a cynical move designed to placate their core voters. That's exactly the same as all other political parties do.

Whether you like it or not, the last government DID spend more money than they had. Basic economics states that if you spend more money than you have sooner or later you will have to pay it back. It was them that put us in the position we are currently in by buying votes from their core voters, ironically exactly the same thing you're accusing the tories of doing. We will be paying off the excesses of the last government for many years to come.

And whether you like it or not the welfare bill is the single highest area of government spending and has been the fastest rising area of government spending for many years. It makes sense to target this area when looking for areas to reduce the deficit.

Very few large corporates have "avoided" tax - It's not 1975 any more and most big businesses are now international. They are operating completely within the law. There's not a lot of point in changing tax law in this country without a global or at least European harmonisation of tax laws - without this corporates will simply move to other countries, costing jobs in this country.
Grumpy,

Firstly, I'm not claiming to be big or clever, but I'll call Gideon by his real name...he's the one that changed it to try and be something he is not.

You've really bought into the Tory narrative haven't you? I'm not impressed with the old trick of whenever there is criticism, deflect it with comparisons to other parties. It doesn't work because a) this bunch of muppets have been in power for 4 years, and it's their record I'm commenting on, and b) you make the assumption that I support one of the other parties - I don't, I hold them in equal contempt, with the possible exception of the Liberals who should be despised for the political whores that they are.

So you are justifying Tory gerrymandering on the basis that Labour did it? Pathetic - it's telling that you, as a die hard supporter can't even muster a token argument that justifies the actions in a reasonable way.

Welfare does need tackling, but not by just arbitrarily cutting it. Let's look at the massive amount of Government waste - how much has IDS wasted on welfare reforms that don't work? How much has the reorganisation of the NHS cost? Face facts, the UK is still in the top 10 world economies...WE ARE NOT GREECE. There is money, but it's what Governments choose to spend it on, and this current Government is in the pocket of big business. It is making the CHOICE to transfer public assets on the cheap as a matter of dogma. It is nothing short of lunacy to subsidise profitable supermarkets by topping up wages with tax credits. It is crazy to lease a new hospital or school, and pay over the odds for 30 years. Similarly, why are we paying huge amounts of £ to private landlords, rather than investing in Council housing.

You claim that companies will move out of the UK if they don't like the trading conditions - utter, utter rubbish. All the time there is a market for their goods here, they will operate here. Threats to leave are simply hollow threats. If a certain Internet Book retailer was made to pay the full tax on UK sales, they would make less profit, but there is no way they would pull out of the market.

I want a government that acts in the best interest of the nation. This government acts in a very narrow self serving way, looking after itself and it's backers, screw everyone else
Gideon was the name given to him at birth He didn't like it for whatever reason (which is personal to him and none of your business frankly) so like thousands of other people he changed to using his middle name. You, and others like you that come on the internet to try and use his birth name as some kind of insult towards him is pathetic at best.

No, I haven't bought into the "Tory narrative". I've bought into the "common sense" narrative. That is, as a country we cannot continue to spend more money than we have or at some point we will become bankrupt. Perhaps if a few more people had that kind of common sense we wouldn't be in the position we're in now. By the way I am not justifying anything and I am certainly not a "die hard supporter" of the Tories. I'm just pointing out that you cannot blame the current government for the failings of the previous one. Something you seem to be continuing to do with the mentioning PFI schemes for hospitals and schools, and with the implementation of tax credits. All these were conceived under the previous government.

I, like you, will judge the current government on their own achievements and failings. Blame them for their own mistakes, sure (and there have been plenty), but you can't blame them for the mistakes of the previous government.

Finally, Amazon is but one company. They employ thousands in this country. Are you really naive enough to believe that a sales tax would mean they "make less profit"? All that would happen is they would pass on their increased costs by putting up their prices to maintain margins, effectively hitting the consumer in the pocket yet again. Great plan.

And you say welfare should be "tackled". How do you do that without changing the conditions of how welfare is allocated and reducing the funding available?
[quote][p][bold]BeardyBill[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BeardyBill[/bold] wrote: Is the Adver the mouthpiece of Conservative Central Office now? This is a very one sided report which follows the Governments line. This isn't a budget that helps the man in the street, there is nothing for the young here - Gideon has cynically targeted his paltry giveaways at the grey vote, probably because they are the group more likely to vote, and are also more likely to be at threat of shifting support to UKIP. Wages stagnant, food and energy prices rising ahead of inflation, more years of austerity to look forward to......and the fact is, the Tories have NOT fixed the economy, and the national debt is higher now than when they took office. Instead we have propaganda designed to divide and rule - blame the disabled, blame the last Govt, blame people on £70 quid a week benefits for daring to have big TVs. ...meanwhile, we dole out huge amounts of public cash to large corporates who make donations to the Tories, and then syphon off their profits through offshore companies to avoid tax. I would get annoyed about it if it wasn't so hopeless.....[/p][/quote](Firstly, calling George Osbourne "Gideon" doesn't make you big or clever) Of course it's a cynical move designed to placate their core voters. That's exactly the same as all other political parties do. Whether you like it or not, the last government DID spend more money than they had. Basic economics states that if you spend more money than you have sooner or later you will have to pay it back. It was them that put us in the position we are currently in by buying votes from their core voters, ironically exactly the same thing you're accusing the tories of doing. We will be paying off the excesses of the last government for many years to come. And whether you like it or not the welfare bill is the single highest area of government spending and has been the fastest rising area of government spending for many years. It makes sense to target this area when looking for areas to reduce the deficit. Very few large corporates have "avoided" tax - It's not 1975 any more and most big businesses are now international. They are operating completely within the law. There's not a lot of point in changing tax law in this country without a global or at least European harmonisation of tax laws - without this corporates will simply move to other countries, costing jobs in this country.[/p][/quote]Grumpy, Firstly, I'm not claiming to be big or clever, but I'll call Gideon by his real name...he's the one that changed it to try and be something he is not. You've really bought into the Tory narrative haven't you? I'm not impressed with the old trick of whenever there is criticism, deflect it with comparisons to other parties. It doesn't work because a) this bunch of muppets have been in power for 4 years, and it's their record I'm commenting on, and b) you make the assumption that I support one of the other parties - I don't, I hold them in equal contempt, with the possible exception of the Liberals who should be despised for the political whores that they are. So you are justifying Tory gerrymandering on the basis that Labour did it? Pathetic - it's telling that you, as a die hard supporter can't even muster a token argument that justifies the actions in a reasonable way. Welfare does need tackling, but not by just arbitrarily cutting it. Let's look at the massive amount of Government waste - how much has IDS wasted on welfare reforms that don't work? How much has the reorganisation of the NHS cost? Face facts, the UK is still in the top 10 world economies...WE ARE NOT GREECE. There is money, but it's what Governments choose to spend it on, and this current Government is in the pocket of big business. It is making the CHOICE to transfer public assets on the cheap as a matter of dogma. It is nothing short of lunacy to subsidise profitable supermarkets by topping up wages with tax credits. It is crazy to lease a new hospital or school, and pay over the odds for 30 years. Similarly, why are we paying huge amounts of £ to private landlords, rather than investing in Council housing. You claim that companies will move out of the UK if they don't like the trading conditions - utter, utter rubbish. All the time there is a market for their goods here, they will operate here. Threats to leave are simply hollow threats. If a certain Internet Book retailer was made to pay the full tax on UK sales, they would make less profit, but there is no way they would pull out of the market. I want a government that acts in the best interest of the nation. This government acts in a very narrow self serving way, looking after itself and it's backers, screw everyone else[/p][/quote]Gideon was the name given to him at birth He didn't like it for whatever reason (which is personal to him and none of your business frankly) so like thousands of other people he changed to using his middle name. You, and others like you that come on the internet to try and use his birth name as some kind of insult towards him is pathetic at best. No, I haven't bought into the "Tory narrative". I've bought into the "common sense" narrative. That is, as a country we cannot continue to spend more money than we have or at some point we will become bankrupt. Perhaps if a few more people had that kind of common sense we wouldn't be in the position we're in now. By the way I am not justifying anything and I am certainly not a "die hard supporter" of the Tories. I'm just pointing out that you cannot blame the current government for the failings of the previous one. Something you seem to be continuing to do with the mentioning PFI schemes for hospitals and schools, and with the implementation of tax credits. All these were conceived under the previous government. I, like you, will judge the current government on their own achievements and failings. Blame them for their own mistakes, sure (and there have been plenty), but you can't blame them for the mistakes of the previous government. Finally, Amazon is but one company. They employ thousands in this country. Are you really naive enough to believe that a sales tax would mean they "make less profit"? All that would happen is they would pass on their increased costs by putting up their prices to maintain margins, effectively hitting the consumer in the pocket yet again. Great plan. And you say welfare should be "tackled". How do you do that without changing the conditions of how welfare is allocated and reducing the funding available? The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man
  • Score: -2

7:06pm Fri 21 Mar 14

BeardyBill says...

Grumpy,

Your attitude defies belief - what I choose to call the Chancellor is really not your concern, so why are you so agitated by it? Frankly, Gideon is at the very tame end of the spectrum...most of the names I could use would not be appropriate in a family newspaper.

Why does not agreeing with you equate to not having common sense? That is a very arrogant attitude. You have your peculiar world view, and you are entitled to it - I suggest you pay others the same courtesy.

If you'd bothered to actually read my post, you would have clearly seen that I am not a fan of the last Government. Tax credits are wrong, albeit possibly introduced for the right reasons. PFI was a Tory invention from the Major days - check your facts.

I'm completely staggered by your comments on Amazon - you obviously think it's ok for them to subsidise their business through corporate welfare. Are you really saying that you want cheap products, and to get them you don't give a stuff if the company pays it's staff a pittance, requiring Government top ups, and then engages in deliberate and complicated measures to avoid paying tax? Not exactly a level playing field for the smaller retailer who looks after his staff and doesn't have the financial clout to engage in expensive and elaborate avoidance of corporation tax - but I'm sure you don't give a stuff about them, any more than anyone else in your dreadful, self centred I'm all right Jack, screw you world view.

If you don't want to take part in society, why don't you bugger off to a desert island where you can indulge your selfishness to your hearts content. You would be no big loss.
Grumpy, Your attitude defies belief - what I choose to call the Chancellor is really not your concern, so why are you so agitated by it? Frankly, Gideon is at the very tame end of the spectrum...most of the names I could use would not be appropriate in a family newspaper. Why does not agreeing with you equate to not having common sense? That is a very arrogant attitude. You have your peculiar world view, and you are entitled to it - I suggest you pay others the same courtesy. If you'd bothered to actually read my post, you would have clearly seen that I am not a fan of the last Government. Tax credits are wrong, albeit possibly introduced for the right reasons. PFI was a Tory invention from the Major days - check your facts. I'm completely staggered by your comments on Amazon - you obviously think it's ok for them to subsidise their business through corporate welfare. Are you really saying that you want cheap products, and to get them you don't give a stuff if the company pays it's staff a pittance, requiring Government top ups, and then engages in deliberate and complicated measures to avoid paying tax? Not exactly a level playing field for the smaller retailer who looks after his staff and doesn't have the financial clout to engage in expensive and elaborate avoidance of corporation tax - but I'm sure you don't give a stuff about them, any more than anyone else in your dreadful, self centred I'm all right Jack, screw you world view. If you don't want to take part in society, why don't you bugger off to a desert island where you can indulge your selfishness to your hearts content. You would be no big loss. BeardyBill
  • Score: 0

7:10pm Fri 21 Mar 14

BeardyBill says...

A.Baron-Cohen wrote:
BeardyBill wrote:
The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man wrote:
BeardyBill wrote:
Is the Adver the mouthpiece of Conservative Central Office now? This is a very one sided report which follows the Governments line. This isn't a budget that helps the man in the street, there is nothing for the young here - Gideon has cynically targeted his paltry giveaways at the grey vote, probably because they are the group more likely to vote, and are also more likely to be at threat of shifting support to UKIP.
Wages stagnant, food and energy prices rising ahead of inflation, more years of austerity to look forward to......and the fact is, the Tories have NOT fixed the economy, and the national debt is higher now than when they took office. Instead we have propaganda designed to divide and rule - blame the disabled, blame the last Govt, blame people on £70 quid a week benefits for daring to have big TVs. ...meanwhile, we dole out huge amounts of public cash to large corporates who make donations to the Tories, and then syphon off their profits through offshore companies to avoid tax.

I would get annoyed about it if it wasn't so hopeless.....
(Firstly, calling George Osbourne "Gideon" doesn't make you big or clever)

Of course it's a cynical move designed to placate their core voters. That's exactly the same as all other political parties do.

Whether you like it or not, the last government DID spend more money than they had. Basic economics states that if you spend more money than you have sooner or later you will have to pay it back. It was them that put us in the position we are currently in by buying votes from their core voters, ironically exactly the same thing you're accusing the tories of doing. We will be paying off the excesses of the last government for many years to come.

And whether you like it or not the welfare bill is the single highest area of government spending and has been the fastest rising area of government spending for many years. It makes sense to target this area when looking for areas to reduce the deficit.

Very few large corporates have "avoided" tax - It's not 1975 any more and most big businesses are now international. They are operating completely within the law. There's not a lot of point in changing tax law in this country without a global or at least European harmonisation of tax laws - without this corporates will simply move to other countries, costing jobs in this country.
Grumpy,

Firstly, I'm not claiming to be big or clever, but I'll call Gideon by his real name...he's the one that changed it to try and be something he is not.

You've really bought into the Tory narrative haven't you? I'm not impressed with the old trick of whenever there is criticism, deflect it with comparisons to other parties. It doesn't work because a) this bunch of muppets have been in power for 4 years, and it's their record I'm commenting on, and b) you make the assumption that I support one of the other parties - I don't, I hold them in equal contempt, with the possible exception of the Liberals who should be despised for the political whores that they are.

So you are justifying Tory gerrymandering on the basis that Labour did it? Pathetic - it's telling that you, as a die hard supporter can't even muster a token argument that justifies the actions in a reasonable way.

Welfare does need tackling, but not by just arbitrarily cutting it. Let's look at the massive amount of Government waste - how much has IDS wasted on welfare reforms that don't work? How much has the reorganisation of the NHS cost? Face facts, the UK is still in the top 10 world economies...WE ARE NOT GREECE. There is money, but it's what Governments choose to spend it on, and this current Government is in the pocket of big business. It is making the CHOICE to transfer public assets on the cheap as a matter of dogma. It is nothing short of lunacy to subsidise profitable supermarkets by topping up wages with tax credits. It is crazy to lease a new hospital or school, and pay over the odds for 30 years. Similarly, why are we paying huge amounts of £ to private landlords, rather than investing in Council housing.

You claim that companies will move out of the UK if they don't like the trading conditions - utter, utter rubbish. All the time there is a market for their goods here, they will operate here. Threats to leave are simply hollow threats. If a certain Internet Book retailer was made to pay the full tax on UK sales, they would make less profit, but there is no way they would pull out of the market.

I want a government that acts in the best interest of the nation. This government acts in a very narrow self serving way, looking after itself and it's backers, screw everyone else
Maybe you should keep in mind the huge mountain of debt that needs paying everymonth, and the huge budget deficit that we need to finance on a weekly basis.
Let me ask you, who do you think would lend the UK money if we are crusading against businesses?
As a country we need business investment, we need to export more and we need to spend less, how exactly are you proposing to achieve this by slapping big corporations with taxes bills.
I am not saying that what Mr Cameron is morally right, but there is no OTHER WAY. This country is bankrupt, the only people keeping us afloat are those in Europe and elsewhere lending us money every month on the basis that we will be able to pay them back.
Time to wake up and grow up!
I'm not suggesting crusading against business....if you read my post I'm saying that big corporations should pay the same level of corporation tax as small businesses. How much tax you pay shouldn't be decided by how much you are prepared to spend on wears ally accountants in a bid to come up with elaborate avoidance measures. There is a cost to doing business, and that cost includes tax.
[quote][p][bold]A.Baron-Cohen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BeardyBill[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BeardyBill[/bold] wrote: Is the Adver the mouthpiece of Conservative Central Office now? This is a very one sided report which follows the Governments line. This isn't a budget that helps the man in the street, there is nothing for the young here - Gideon has cynically targeted his paltry giveaways at the grey vote, probably because they are the group more likely to vote, and are also more likely to be at threat of shifting support to UKIP. Wages stagnant, food and energy prices rising ahead of inflation, more years of austerity to look forward to......and the fact is, the Tories have NOT fixed the economy, and the national debt is higher now than when they took office. Instead we have propaganda designed to divide and rule - blame the disabled, blame the last Govt, blame people on £70 quid a week benefits for daring to have big TVs. ...meanwhile, we dole out huge amounts of public cash to large corporates who make donations to the Tories, and then syphon off their profits through offshore companies to avoid tax. I would get annoyed about it if it wasn't so hopeless.....[/p][/quote](Firstly, calling George Osbourne "Gideon" doesn't make you big or clever) Of course it's a cynical move designed to placate their core voters. That's exactly the same as all other political parties do. Whether you like it or not, the last government DID spend more money than they had. Basic economics states that if you spend more money than you have sooner or later you will have to pay it back. It was them that put us in the position we are currently in by buying votes from their core voters, ironically exactly the same thing you're accusing the tories of doing. We will be paying off the excesses of the last government for many years to come. And whether you like it or not the welfare bill is the single highest area of government spending and has been the fastest rising area of government spending for many years. It makes sense to target this area when looking for areas to reduce the deficit. Very few large corporates have "avoided" tax - It's not 1975 any more and most big businesses are now international. They are operating completely within the law. There's not a lot of point in changing tax law in this country without a global or at least European harmonisation of tax laws - without this corporates will simply move to other countries, costing jobs in this country.[/p][/quote]Grumpy, Firstly, I'm not claiming to be big or clever, but I'll call Gideon by his real name...he's the one that changed it to try and be something he is not. You've really bought into the Tory narrative haven't you? I'm not impressed with the old trick of whenever there is criticism, deflect it with comparisons to other parties. It doesn't work because a) this bunch of muppets have been in power for 4 years, and it's their record I'm commenting on, and b) you make the assumption that I support one of the other parties - I don't, I hold them in equal contempt, with the possible exception of the Liberals who should be despised for the political whores that they are. So you are justifying Tory gerrymandering on the basis that Labour did it? Pathetic - it's telling that you, as a die hard supporter can't even muster a token argument that justifies the actions in a reasonable way. Welfare does need tackling, but not by just arbitrarily cutting it. Let's look at the massive amount of Government waste - how much has IDS wasted on welfare reforms that don't work? How much has the reorganisation of the NHS cost? Face facts, the UK is still in the top 10 world economies...WE ARE NOT GREECE. There is money, but it's what Governments choose to spend it on, and this current Government is in the pocket of big business. It is making the CHOICE to transfer public assets on the cheap as a matter of dogma. It is nothing short of lunacy to subsidise profitable supermarkets by topping up wages with tax credits. It is crazy to lease a new hospital or school, and pay over the odds for 30 years. Similarly, why are we paying huge amounts of £ to private landlords, rather than investing in Council housing. You claim that companies will move out of the UK if they don't like the trading conditions - utter, utter rubbish. All the time there is a market for their goods here, they will operate here. Threats to leave are simply hollow threats. If a certain Internet Book retailer was made to pay the full tax on UK sales, they would make less profit, but there is no way they would pull out of the market. I want a government that acts in the best interest of the nation. This government acts in a very narrow self serving way, looking after itself and it's backers, screw everyone else[/p][/quote]Maybe you should keep in mind the huge mountain of debt that needs paying everymonth, and the huge budget deficit that we need to finance on a weekly basis. Let me ask you, who do you think would lend the UK money if we are crusading against businesses? As a country we need business investment, we need to export more and we need to spend less, how exactly are you proposing to achieve this by slapping big corporations with taxes bills. I am not saying that what Mr Cameron is morally right, but there is no OTHER WAY. This country is bankrupt, the only people keeping us afloat are those in Europe and elsewhere lending us money every month on the basis that we will be able to pay them back. Time to wake up and grow up![/p][/quote]I'm not suggesting crusading against business....if you read my post I'm saying that big corporations should pay the same level of corporation tax as small businesses. How much tax you pay shouldn't be decided by how much you are prepared to spend on wears ally accountants in a bid to come up with elaborate avoidance measures. There is a cost to doing business, and that cost includes tax. BeardyBill
  • Score: -1

9:00pm Fri 21 Mar 14

The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man says...

BeardyBill wrote:
Grumpy,

Your attitude defies belief - what I choose to call the Chancellor is really not your concern, so why are you so agitated by it? Frankly, Gideon is at the very tame end of the spectrum...most of the names I could use would not be appropriate in a family newspaper.

Why does not agreeing with you equate to not having common sense? That is a very arrogant attitude. You have your peculiar world view, and you are entitled to it - I suggest you pay others the same courtesy.

If you'd bothered to actually read my post, you would have clearly seen that I am not a fan of the last Government. Tax credits are wrong, albeit possibly introduced for the right reasons. PFI was a Tory invention from the Major days - check your facts.

I'm completely staggered by your comments on Amazon - you obviously think it's ok for them to subsidise their business through corporate welfare. Are you really saying that you want cheap products, and to get them you don't give a stuff if the company pays it's staff a pittance, requiring Government top ups, and then engages in deliberate and complicated measures to avoid paying tax? Not exactly a level playing field for the smaller retailer who looks after his staff and doesn't have the financial clout to engage in expensive and elaborate avoidance of corporation tax - but I'm sure you don't give a stuff about them, any more than anyone else in your dreadful, self centred I'm all right Jack, screw you world view.

If you don't want to take part in society, why don't you bugger off to a desert island where you can indulge your selfishness to your hearts content. You would be no big loss.
Most people grow out of childish name calling by the time they reach adulthood. So because I disagree with your completely unworkable and delusional ideals around how the world works I should 'bugger off to a desert island? Charming.

We do agree on one thing it seems. Tax credits are an abomination that has allowed the corporates to get away with paying less. The solution to this is not to tackle the corporates head on. The solution is to abolish tax credits. Sadly I doubt any government will be brave enough to do so.
[quote][p][bold]BeardyBill[/bold] wrote: Grumpy, Your attitude defies belief - what I choose to call the Chancellor is really not your concern, so why are you so agitated by it? Frankly, Gideon is at the very tame end of the spectrum...most of the names I could use would not be appropriate in a family newspaper. Why does not agreeing with you equate to not having common sense? That is a very arrogant attitude. You have your peculiar world view, and you are entitled to it - I suggest you pay others the same courtesy. If you'd bothered to actually read my post, you would have clearly seen that I am not a fan of the last Government. Tax credits are wrong, albeit possibly introduced for the right reasons. PFI was a Tory invention from the Major days - check your facts. I'm completely staggered by your comments on Amazon - you obviously think it's ok for them to subsidise their business through corporate welfare. Are you really saying that you want cheap products, and to get them you don't give a stuff if the company pays it's staff a pittance, requiring Government top ups, and then engages in deliberate and complicated measures to avoid paying tax? Not exactly a level playing field for the smaller retailer who looks after his staff and doesn't have the financial clout to engage in expensive and elaborate avoidance of corporation tax - but I'm sure you don't give a stuff about them, any more than anyone else in your dreadful, self centred I'm all right Jack, screw you world view. If you don't want to take part in society, why don't you bugger off to a desert island where you can indulge your selfishness to your hearts content. You would be no big loss.[/p][/quote]Most people grow out of childish name calling by the time they reach adulthood. So because I disagree with your completely unworkable and delusional ideals around how the world works I should 'bugger off to a desert island? Charming. We do agree on one thing it seems. Tax credits are an abomination that has allowed the corporates to get away with paying less. The solution to this is not to tackle the corporates head on. The solution is to abolish tax credits. Sadly I doubt any government will be brave enough to do so. The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man
  • Score: 0

11:46pm Fri 21 Mar 14

BeardyBill says...

The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man wrote:
BeardyBill wrote:
Grumpy,

Your attitude defies belief - what I choose to call the Chancellor is really not your concern, so why are you so agitated by it? Frankly, Gideon is at the very tame end of the spectrum...most of the names I could use would not be appropriate in a family newspaper.

Why does not agreeing with you equate to not having common sense? That is a very arrogant attitude. You have your peculiar world view, and you are entitled to it - I suggest you pay others the same courtesy.

If you'd bothered to actually read my post, you would have clearly seen that I am not a fan of the last Government. Tax credits are wrong, albeit possibly introduced for the right reasons. PFI was a Tory invention from the Major days - check your facts.

I'm completely staggered by your comments on Amazon - you obviously think it's ok for them to subsidise their business through corporate welfare. Are you really saying that you want cheap products, and to get them you don't give a stuff if the company pays it's staff a pittance, requiring Government top ups, and then engages in deliberate and complicated measures to avoid paying tax? Not exactly a level playing field for the smaller retailer who looks after his staff and doesn't have the financial clout to engage in expensive and elaborate avoidance of corporation tax - but I'm sure you don't give a stuff about them, any more than anyone else in your dreadful, self centred I'm all right Jack, screw you world view.

If you don't want to take part in society, why don't you bugger off to a desert island where you can indulge your selfishness to your hearts content. You would be no big loss.
Most people grow out of childish name calling by the time they reach adulthood. So because I disagree with your completely unworkable and delusional ideals around how the world works I should 'bugger off to a desert island? Charming.

We do agree on one thing it seems. Tax credits are an abomination that has allowed the corporates to get away with paying less. The solution to this is not to tackle the corporates head on. The solution is to abolish tax credits. Sadly I doubt any government will be brave enough to do so.
Grumpy,

Childish, delusional...you really can't help yourself can you? You can't write a single line of text, without resorting to petty insults. Are you some sort of sociopath?

Why are you scared of taking on the big corporations? I know why the main parties don't do it - too much money changes hands - but I'm intrigued by your motivations. Is it because it's easier to pick on those that have least in society? Business can be a force for good, but without tight regulation, it inevitably becomes utterly self serving. Since the 80's we've been fed a diet of greed is good, and unfortunately a lot of gullible suckers have fallen for it believing they are being aspiration all but in reality wealth is steadily being concentrated upwards.

I don't want to go on like this - I want a society where rights are balanced by responsibilities, such as paying your tax. Where people who are down on their luck are looked after, rather than pilloried. Where our elected representatives actually represent those who've elected them, rather than their party and it's donors. And that's why, Mr Grumpy, I detest Gideon, Dave, and especially Nick and his turncoat army. These people do not share the same values I do.
[quote][p][bold]The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BeardyBill[/bold] wrote: Grumpy, Your attitude defies belief - what I choose to call the Chancellor is really not your concern, so why are you so agitated by it? Frankly, Gideon is at the very tame end of the spectrum...most of the names I could use would not be appropriate in a family newspaper. Why does not agreeing with you equate to not having common sense? That is a very arrogant attitude. You have your peculiar world view, and you are entitled to it - I suggest you pay others the same courtesy. If you'd bothered to actually read my post, you would have clearly seen that I am not a fan of the last Government. Tax credits are wrong, albeit possibly introduced for the right reasons. PFI was a Tory invention from the Major days - check your facts. I'm completely staggered by your comments on Amazon - you obviously think it's ok for them to subsidise their business through corporate welfare. Are you really saying that you want cheap products, and to get them you don't give a stuff if the company pays it's staff a pittance, requiring Government top ups, and then engages in deliberate and complicated measures to avoid paying tax? Not exactly a level playing field for the smaller retailer who looks after his staff and doesn't have the financial clout to engage in expensive and elaborate avoidance of corporation tax - but I'm sure you don't give a stuff about them, any more than anyone else in your dreadful, self centred I'm all right Jack, screw you world view. If you don't want to take part in society, why don't you bugger off to a desert island where you can indulge your selfishness to your hearts content. You would be no big loss.[/p][/quote]Most people grow out of childish name calling by the time they reach adulthood. So because I disagree with your completely unworkable and delusional ideals around how the world works I should 'bugger off to a desert island? Charming. We do agree on one thing it seems. Tax credits are an abomination that has allowed the corporates to get away with paying less. The solution to this is not to tackle the corporates head on. The solution is to abolish tax credits. Sadly I doubt any government will be brave enough to do so.[/p][/quote]Grumpy, Childish, delusional...you really can't help yourself can you? You can't write a single line of text, without resorting to petty insults. Are you some sort of sociopath? Why are you scared of taking on the big corporations? I know why the main parties don't do it - too much money changes hands - but I'm intrigued by your motivations. Is it because it's easier to pick on those that have least in society? Business can be a force for good, but without tight regulation, it inevitably becomes utterly self serving. Since the 80's we've been fed a diet of greed is good, and unfortunately a lot of gullible suckers have fallen for it believing they are being aspiration all but in reality wealth is steadily being concentrated upwards. I don't want to go on like this - I want a society where rights are balanced by responsibilities, such as paying your tax. Where people who are down on their luck are looked after, rather than pilloried. Where our elected representatives actually represent those who've elected them, rather than their party and it's donors. And that's why, Mr Grumpy, I detest Gideon, Dave, and especially Nick and his turncoat army. These people do not share the same values I do. BeardyBill
  • Score: 0

10:20am Sat 22 Mar 14

The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man says...

I haven't insulted anyone. Name calling as you have done (now to me also) IS childish. Those might be laudable wishes but it is delusional to suggest taking on the entire international business community head on.
I haven't insulted anyone. Name calling as you have done (now to me also) IS childish. Those might be laudable wishes but it is delusional to suggest taking on the entire international business community head on. The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man
  • Score: 0

11:47am Sat 22 Mar 14

BeardyBill says...

Grumpy,

Good to see you have no capacity for rational argument, all you can do is claim anyone who doesn't agree with you is delusional, childish etc. perhaps there is some hope for redemption for you after all....maybe, just maybe, deep down you KNOW the Tory narrative is morally wrong, and economically ineffective . Is the angry right wing persona just a mask because you are scared, but don't know how to get off the roundabout?
Grumpy, Good to see you have no capacity for rational argument, all you can do is claim anyone who doesn't agree with you is delusional, childish etc. perhaps there is some hope for redemption for you after all....maybe, just maybe, deep down you KNOW the Tory narrative is morally wrong, and economically ineffective . Is the angry right wing persona just a mask because you are scared, but don't know how to get off the roundabout? BeardyBill
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree