Grants to help out town’s prostitutes

An outreach worker will support the town’s sex workers.

An outreach worker will support the town’s sex workers.

First published in News by

THREE projects expected to make a life-changing difference to Swindon’s most vulnerable people can now get off the ground, thanks to a special grant.

Thanks to grants from the Police and Crime Commissioner’s £1m Innovation Fund, Wiltshire Mind, Social Care In Action and The Nelson Trust are now in a position to start up new projects to support offenders and prostitutes.

The Nelson Trust, which works with agencies including Wiltshire Probation Trust, will be able to use its 34,382 grant to fund a full-time sex work outreach worker to try and support the town’s sex workers.

The outreach worker will be based at the new ISIS Women’s Centre will liaise between the Swindon Sex Worker Forum and women sex workers to try and protect the vulnerable women who are at risk of rape, sexual assault, violence, trafficking, robbery and a range of serious health problems associated with sex work and substance misuse.

Colin Levine, the business development co-ordinator at the Nelson Trust said: “We were delighted to receive the grant because it can mean we can employ a dedicated outreach worker.

“Sex workers are difficult to engage but are often vulnerable for a range of different reasons, and many of them also struggle with alcohol and drug abuse.

“Wiltshire Police do have a dedicated vice team as well, and the outreach worker will be working closely with them.”

Wiltshire MIND was also given £28,405 to work with other local agencies to set up a counselling project for ex-offenders.

CEO David Mckeigue said: “We will be working in conjunction with Swindon and Wiltshire Integrated Targets For Change to provide a counselling service.

“Many offenders have underlying issues such as drug and alcohol abuse and when they are released form prison they come back into a cycle of re-offending.

“This will be about breaking that cycle by tackling those causes.”

Another £29,000 went the SCA for a new project to support ex-offenders as they leave custody.

The individually tailored support aims to work as an advocacy service, helping ex-offenders to get back on their feet.

Fiona Price, the director of business development at SCA, said: “Without this support there is a risk that offenders find themselves in a cycle of re-offending.”

The projects were three of 12 which received the grants in the third and final round of the Innovation Fund, which was set up by Police and Crime Commissioner Angus Macpherson to fund projects in Wiltshire and Swindon seeking to reduce crime and antisocial behaviour or support victims and vulnerable people.

For more information about the Innovation Fund visit
www.wiltshire-pcc.gov.uk.

Comments (21)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:15am Sat 5 Apr 14

stratton man says...

Instead of paying someone to chat to prostitutes we should be using the money to support victims of crime particularly those who are elderly or otherwise vulnerable.
Instead of paying someone to chat to prostitutes we should be using the money to support victims of crime particularly those who are elderly or otherwise vulnerable. stratton man
  • Score: 18

10:58am Sat 5 Apr 14

FLOGGITLAD says...

didnt our precept to the police go up as they were short of cash, so why are we now suppordting these layabouts to have a easy life, just jail them and the men who pay for their services..
didnt our precept to the police go up as they were short of cash, so why are we now suppordting these layabouts to have a easy life, just jail them and the men who pay for their services.. FLOGGITLAD
  • Score: 8

11:52am Sat 5 Apr 14

female resident says...

We spend millions on an education service and prison service and benefits yet still those people who need help and support the most are left unsupported. Outreach workers are great but what about recognising and helping to turn lives around much, much earlier rather than just throwing money away and not trying to help nip problems in the bud?
We spend millions on an education service and prison service and benefits yet still those people who need help and support the most are left unsupported. Outreach workers are great but what about recognising and helping to turn lives around much, much earlier rather than just throwing money away and not trying to help nip problems in the bud? female resident
  • Score: 10

1:13pm Sat 5 Apr 14

beach1e says...

why is it that those that choose not to pay taxes get money from these places ? its a lifestyle choice to be a prostitute, earn tax free money, spend that money on drugs and alcohol neither which are cheap, and get free money from those that work hard and pay their taxes. it is no wonder this country has so many people that have no pride. shameful
why is it that those that choose not to pay taxes get money from these places ? its a lifestyle choice to be a prostitute, earn tax free money, spend that money on drugs and alcohol neither which are cheap, and get free money from those that work hard and pay their taxes. it is no wonder this country has so many people that have no pride. shameful beach1e
  • Score: -1

3:42pm Sat 5 Apr 14

house on the hill says...

beach1e wrote:
why is it that those that choose not to pay taxes get money from these places ? its a lifestyle choice to be a prostitute, earn tax free money, spend that money on drugs and alcohol neither which are cheap, and get free money from those that work hard and pay their taxes. it is no wonder this country has so many people that have no pride. shameful
A lot of those who do pay their taxes have no pride either! Namely the ultra sad ones who use prostitutes. Its supply and demand, if there weren't so many sad men there wouldn't be any of them at all! That's the real issue.
[quote][p][bold]beach1e[/bold] wrote: why is it that those that choose not to pay taxes get money from these places ? its a lifestyle choice to be a prostitute, earn tax free money, spend that money on drugs and alcohol neither which are cheap, and get free money from those that work hard and pay their taxes. it is no wonder this country has so many people that have no pride. shameful[/p][/quote]A lot of those who do pay their taxes have no pride either! Namely the ultra sad ones who use prostitutes. Its supply and demand, if there weren't so many sad men there wouldn't be any of them at all! That's the real issue. house on the hill
  • Score: 6

4:08pm Sat 5 Apr 14

madreeves says...

The term "vulnerable" is so over-used these days ....
The term "vulnerable" is so over-used these days .... madreeves
  • Score: 6

6:42pm Sat 5 Apr 14

house on the hill says...

madreeves wrote:
The term "vulnerable" is so over-used these days ....
And more importantly there are endless definitions of it dependent on who you talk to as well! No one is allowed to say "Pull yourself together" anymore, everyone is vulnerable or a victim or has mental health issues.
[quote][p][bold]madreeves[/bold] wrote: The term "vulnerable" is so over-used these days ....[/p][/quote]And more importantly there are endless definitions of it dependent on who you talk to as well! No one is allowed to say "Pull yourself together" anymore, everyone is vulnerable or a victim or has mental health issues. house on the hill
  • Score: 3

8:08pm Sat 5 Apr 14

Davey Gravey says...

I'll donate £20 for one of those **** to drink my come. Of course they'll need to extract it first though
I'll donate £20 for one of those **** to drink my come. Of course they'll need to extract it first though Davey Gravey
  • Score: -7

9:04pm Sat 5 Apr 14

trolley dolley says...

I am sure these ladies of the night earn enough without any hand outs.

If not then they should up their price.

To call them vulnerable is stretching it a bit, they earn tax free money, they can afford to drink and most of them take drugs.

They will claim when caught that they are forced into doing it and claim they are victims.

RUBBISH.

It is all about people with only one talent making a lot of easy money.
I am sure these ladies of the night earn enough without any hand outs. If not then they should up their price. To call them vulnerable is stretching it a bit, they earn tax free money, they can afford to drink and most of them take drugs. They will claim when caught that they are forced into doing it and claim they are victims. RUBBISH. It is all about people with only one talent making a lot of easy money. trolley dolley
  • Score: 5

10:13pm Sat 5 Apr 14

Davey Gravey says...

Davey Gravey wrote:
I'll donate £20 for one of those **** to drink my come. Of course they'll need to extract it first though
I think I have been cloned.
[quote][p][bold]Davey Gravey[/bold] wrote: I'll donate £20 for one of those **** to drink my come. Of course they'll need to extract it first though[/p][/quote]I think I have been cloned. Davey Gravey
  • Score: 1

9:55am Sun 6 Apr 14

1 2 Could B says...

Davey Gravey wrote:
Davey Gravey wrote:
I'll donate £20 for one of those **** to drink my come. Of course they'll need to extract it first though
I think I have been cloned.
Looks that way
That'll be the mad councillor with a gmail account of your name
Inform Craig Lyus of The Swindon Advertiser web team on 01793501862
And contact the police by dialling 101 and quotes Log no
54140009028
[quote][p][bold]Davey Gravey[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Davey Gravey[/bold] wrote: I'll donate £20 for one of those **** to drink my come. Of course they'll need to extract it first though[/p][/quote]I think I have been cloned.[/p][/quote]Looks that way That'll be the mad councillor with a gmail account of your name Inform Craig Lyus of The Swindon Advertiser web team on 01793501862 And contact the police by dialling 101 and quotes Log no 54140009028 1 2 Could B
  • Score: 1

11:04am Sun 6 Apr 14

SAM2WIN says...

Davey Gravey


You should be banned from this site for this disgusting post . This site is also read by children .

I have reported you
Davey Gravey You should be banned from this site for this disgusting post . This site is also read by children . I have reported you SAM2WIN
  • Score: 0

11:14am Sun 6 Apr 14

FLOGGITLAD says...

sam did you read his latest blog,, that nutter who copies everybody has done it again...
sam did you read his latest blog,, that nutter who copies everybody has done it again... FLOGGITLAD
  • Score: 4

12:05pm Sun 6 Apr 14

SAM2WIN says...

FLOGGITLAD wrote:
sam did you read his latest blog,, that nutter who copies everybody has done it again...
Fair do's If that's true I apologize .
However this post should have been blocked before it was published , somebody at the adver is not doing their job.
[quote][p][bold]FLOGGITLAD[/bold] wrote: sam did you read his latest blog,, that nutter who copies everybody has done it again...[/p][/quote]Fair do's If that's true I apologize . However this post should have been blocked before it was published , somebody at the adver is not doing their job. SAM2WIN
  • Score: 1

2:10pm Sun 6 Apr 14

LordCharles says...

Why are they being given money? It was £60.00 last time. They don't need any more cash.
Why are they being given money? It was £60.00 last time. They don't need any more cash. LordCharles
  • Score: 0

2:58pm Sun 6 Apr 14

FLOGGITLAD says...

could it be the bed needs new springs....
could it be the bed needs new springs.... FLOGGITLAD
  • Score: 0

2:58pm Sun 6 Apr 14

FLOGGITLAD says...

slappers..
slappers.. FLOGGITLAD
  • Score: -1

4:01pm Sun 6 Apr 14

mug? says...

house on the hill wrote:
beach1e wrote:
why is it that those that choose not to pay taxes get money from these places ? its a lifestyle choice to be a prostitute, earn tax free money, spend that money on drugs and alcohol neither which are cheap, and get free money from those that work hard and pay their taxes. it is no wonder this country has so many people that have no pride. shameful
A lot of those who do pay their taxes have no pride either! Namely the ultra sad ones who use prostitutes. Its supply and demand, if there weren't so many sad men there wouldn't be any of them at all! That's the real issue.
Yes, we should gas all the sad men who have no hope in hell of getting a girlfriend.
[quote][p][bold]house on the hill[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]beach1e[/bold] wrote: why is it that those that choose not to pay taxes get money from these places ? its a lifestyle choice to be a prostitute, earn tax free money, spend that money on drugs and alcohol neither which are cheap, and get free money from those that work hard and pay their taxes. it is no wonder this country has so many people that have no pride. shameful[/p][/quote]A lot of those who do pay their taxes have no pride either! Namely the ultra sad ones who use prostitutes. Its supply and demand, if there weren't so many sad men there wouldn't be any of them at all! That's the real issue.[/p][/quote]Yes, we should gas all the sad men who have no hope in hell of getting a girlfriend. mug?
  • Score: -3

7:21pm Sun 6 Apr 14

Davey Gravey says...

My account wasn't cloned. I didn't log out and a post was made in jest. No biggy and it was made as a joke.
No offence was meant by it.
My account wasn't cloned. I didn't log out and a post was made in jest. No biggy and it was made as a joke. No offence was meant by it. Davey Gravey
  • Score: -6

8:42pm Sun 6 Apr 14

house on the hill says...

mug? wrote:
house on the hill wrote:
beach1e wrote:
why is it that those that choose not to pay taxes get money from these places ? its a lifestyle choice to be a prostitute, earn tax free money, spend that money on drugs and alcohol neither which are cheap, and get free money from those that work hard and pay their taxes. it is no wonder this country has so many people that have no pride. shameful
A lot of those who do pay their taxes have no pride either! Namely the ultra sad ones who use prostitutes. Its supply and demand, if there weren't so many sad men there wouldn't be any of them at all! That's the real issue.
Yes, we should gas all the sad men who have no hope in hell of getting a girlfriend.
So what you are saying is that "someone who can't get a girlfriend" should be allowed to break the law then? Presumably it's ok for them to have a few drinks and then drive home after too?

And I am sure paying for it with someone who has been ridden more often than a Blackpool donkey is going to work wonders for their self esteem! And what do you class as not being able to get a gf then? And I think you will find most actually have a partner probably.

Sorry it really is a sad world when you have to resort to that in any sort of so called civilised society.
[quote][p][bold]mug?[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]house on the hill[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]beach1e[/bold] wrote: why is it that those that choose not to pay taxes get money from these places ? its a lifestyle choice to be a prostitute, earn tax free money, spend that money on drugs and alcohol neither which are cheap, and get free money from those that work hard and pay their taxes. it is no wonder this country has so many people that have no pride. shameful[/p][/quote]A lot of those who do pay their taxes have no pride either! Namely the ultra sad ones who use prostitutes. Its supply and demand, if there weren't so many sad men there wouldn't be any of them at all! That's the real issue.[/p][/quote]Yes, we should gas all the sad men who have no hope in hell of getting a girlfriend.[/p][/quote]So what you are saying is that "someone who can't get a girlfriend" should be allowed to break the law then? Presumably it's ok for them to have a few drinks and then drive home after too? And I am sure paying for it with someone who has been ridden more often than a Blackpool donkey is going to work wonders for their self esteem! And what do you class as not being able to get a gf then? And I think you will find most actually have a partner probably. Sorry it really is a sad world when you have to resort to that in any sort of so called civilised society. house on the hill
  • Score: -3

9:37pm Sun 6 Apr 14

1 2 Could B says...

Davey Gravey wrote:
My account wasn't cloned. I didn't log out and a post was made in jest. No biggy and it was made as a joke.
No offence was meant by it.
Nah. It's been cloned by the mad councillor.
He'll be using a gmail account of your name.
Inform The Swindon Advertiser web team on 01793501862
And contact the police by dialling 101 and quotes Log no
54140009028
[quote][p][bold]Davey Gravey[/bold] wrote: My account wasn't cloned. I didn't log out and a post was made in jest. No biggy and it was made as a joke. No offence was meant by it.[/p][/quote]Nah. It's been cloned by the mad councillor. He'll be using a gmail account of your name. Inform The Swindon Advertiser web team on 01793501862 And contact the police by dialling 101 and quotes Log no 54140009028 1 2 Could B
  • Score: -6

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree