Get involved! Send photos, video, news & views. Text SWINDON NEWS to 80360 or email us
Be careful if you're taking on that DIY
3:50pm Thursday 17th April 2014 in News
WILTSHIRE Fire and Rescue Service has issued advice to all would-be ‘do it yourself’ enthusiasts ahead of the Easter break.
Watch Manager Neil Chamberlain, from the community safety department, said: “National statistics show that, at this time of year, there is an increase in fire calls caused by activities associated with DIY. These range from fires ignited by blow torches involved in paint stripping to electrical appliances and other equipment that may have been stored in a damp garage or shed over the winter period.
“Always check that the task you are undertaking is within your capabilities.
“Take expert advice – many of the modern DIY superstores can advise on how best to use materials and equipment – and always make sure that safety instructions are read in full and complied with.”
Other important safety tips to remember include using the correct tool for the job, ensure children and pets are safe, with obstructions removed from your workplace, always uncoil electrical extension cables fully, as these can overheat and cause a fire and never use multi-way adapters when working with high amperage tools.
Gas appliances should only be repaired by an approved contractor and flammable liquids should be used in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions, secured in containers and used in small quantities, well away from the house and other risks such as naked flames or cigarettes.
For a full range of home fire safety advice, visit www.wiltsfire.gov.uk/yoursafety
Comments are closed on this article.