ELECTION 2014 - Rodbourne Cheney: Area has to be put on road to recovery

Richard Kimber, acting chairman of  Rodbourne Cheney  Residents’  Association

Richard Kimber, acting chairman of Rodbourne Cheney Residents’ Association

First published in News
Last updated
Swindon Advertiser: Photograph of the Author by , @Michael_Benke

OVER the coming decade Swindon is set to rapidly expand, with around 22,000 homes to be built if the Local Plan gets given the go ahead.

This is likely to put an extra burden on the already busy and aging road network, with the ward of Rodbourne Cheney likely to be among the hardest hit.

Already residents have to cope with congested roads and when the Tadpole Farm and Ridgeway developments are built this is only set to worsen.

Richard Kimber, the acting chairman of the Rodbourne Cheney Residents’ Association, wants any new councillor to push for extensions to the road network, such as a link road from Thamesdown Drive to the Barnfield Roundabout.

He said: “I am a van driver so I know how busy the roads can get and during rush hour they are choc-a-block.

“On one occasion it took me almost an hour to travel a mile.

“This was a while ago so it has probably got worse now. I don’t know how the roads are going to cope with all the new housing. Something will need to be done otherwise Rodbourne will just grind to a halt when it is busy.

“At the minute most of the traffic from the north has to come through Moredon and down towards Rodbourne. If the link road is built it would solve a lot of problems so I’d like to see the council push for that.

“There is a lot of inconsiderate parking in Rodbourne with people parking on double yellow lines so I think a lot of people would like to see something done about that as it only adds to the problems we have on the roads.”

Away from the roads there are issues which Richard would like a new councillor to work on solving.

He said: “A lot of people comment that we don’t have too much visible policing and that is because we are down to one PCSO for the area.

“I know it is not strictly a council matter but if the new councillor could work to increase the number of officers on the beat then I think it would greatly appreciated.

“The changes to the bus services have also caused a lot of problems for some people especially the elderly. For example, Beech Avenue does not have a bus service. We would like the council to push to have them reinstated.”

At the 2012 elections all three seats were won by Labour candidates by strong margins.

RODBOURNE CHENEY CANDIDATES:
Simon FAIRBOURN (Green Party)
Di RODGERS (Conservative)
Peter THOMPSON-WATT (UK Independence Party)
Peter WATTS (Labour)
Turnout in 2012 election: 30 per cent (8919)

  • For full details visit our candidates section here

Comments (16)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:02am Wed 14 May 14

Badgersgetabadname says...

In order to grow the town needs more houses roads and better infrastructure in general.
However when things are to be built there are countless objections and delays as many dont want their area to be effected by works etc...

Every area of the town must have a bus service that is a non negotiable and it must run at times that benefit the residents so priority lanes must be built to encourage the use of bus lanes.
If people are complaining that it takes an hour or more to get into town council should ensure that public transport is at its best to be a better option. I dont think any rationale person would argue that?

As for problem parking there was a story about it a few weeks ago and how it effect many of the green belt population centers, personally I cant believe traffic wardens are missing this opportunity in areas that constantly report this.
In order to grow the town needs more houses roads and better infrastructure in general. However when things are to be built there are countless objections and delays as many dont want their area to be effected by works etc... Every area of the town must have a bus service that is a non negotiable and it must run at times that benefit the residents so priority lanes must be built to encourage the use of bus lanes. If people are complaining that it takes an hour or more to get into town council should ensure that public transport is at its best to be a better option. I dont think any rationale person would argue that? As for problem parking there was a story about it a few weeks ago and how it effect many of the green belt population centers, personally I cant believe traffic wardens are missing this opportunity in areas that constantly report this. Badgersgetabadname
  • Score: -2

2:50pm Wed 14 May 14

Even Angrier Monkey says...

Bus lanes are not the solution to North / West Swindon's current and future traffic problems and never will be.
Bus lanes are not the solution to North / West Swindon's current and future traffic problems and never will be. Even Angrier Monkey
  • Score: 9

3:59pm Wed 14 May 14

Badgersgetabadname says...

Even Angrier Monkey wrote:
Bus lanes are not the solution to North / West Swindon's current and future traffic problems and never will be.
What would you suggest?
[quote][p][bold]Even Angrier Monkey[/bold] wrote: Bus lanes are not the solution to North / West Swindon's current and future traffic problems and never will be.[/p][/quote]What would you suggest? Badgersgetabadname
  • Score: -1

4:18pm Wed 14 May 14

Even Angrier Monkey says...

Not building massive new estates with a major trunk road through the middle that has an obvious bottleneck at one end.

There is already a reasonable bus service in place in the area, the problem is it is totally useless unless you want to go to the town centre, which many people either dont want to (because its crap) or dont need to (because they work outside of Swindon altogether or in the numerous industrial or office estates that are nowhere near the town centre.
Not building massive new estates with a major trunk road through the middle that has an obvious bottleneck at one end. There is already a reasonable bus service in place in the area, the problem is it is totally useless unless you want to go to the town centre, which many people either dont want to (because its crap) or dont need to (because they work outside of Swindon altogether or in the numerous industrial or office estates that are nowhere near the town centre. Even Angrier Monkey
  • Score: 6

4:30pm Wed 14 May 14

Badgersgetabadname says...

Even Angrier Monkey wrote:
Not building massive new estates with a major trunk road through the middle that has an obvious bottleneck at one end.

There is already a reasonable bus service in place in the area, the problem is it is totally useless unless you want to go to the town centre, which many people either dont want to (because its crap) or dont need to (because they work outside of Swindon altogether or in the numerous industrial or office estates that are nowhere near the town centre.
So a bus into the terminus in town then onto destination? Like almost every town / city in the country you mean?
Bearing in mind that a time machine is not available captain, any suggestions that can actually be carried out?
[quote][p][bold]Even Angrier Monkey[/bold] wrote: Not building massive new estates with a major trunk road through the middle that has an obvious bottleneck at one end. There is already a reasonable bus service in place in the area, the problem is it is totally useless unless you want to go to the town centre, which many people either dont want to (because its crap) or dont need to (because they work outside of Swindon altogether or in the numerous industrial or office estates that are nowhere near the town centre.[/p][/quote]So a bus into the terminus in town then onto destination? Like almost every town / city in the country you mean? Bearing in mind that a time machine is not available captain, any suggestions that can actually be carried out? Badgersgetabadname
  • Score: -2

7:25pm Wed 14 May 14

ChannelX says...

Bus Lanes are actually the cause of much congestion in and around Swindon.

Utterly ridiculous when you consider the buses run around virtually empty for 14 out of the 18 hours a day they operate.
Bus Lanes are actually the cause of much congestion in and around Swindon. Utterly ridiculous when you consider the buses run around virtually empty for 14 out of the 18 hours a day they operate. ChannelX
  • Score: 0

7:37pm Wed 14 May 14

Badgersgetabadname says...

Ok so still idea bashing with nothing productive coming. Other than mass transport as seemingly what works in thousands of towns and cities wont work in Swindon, what is a better solution to the problem?
Ok so still idea bashing with nothing productive coming. Other than mass transport as seemingly what works in thousands of towns and cities wont work in Swindon, what is a better solution to the problem? Badgersgetabadname
  • Score: 0

9:11pm Wed 14 May 14

Badgersgetabadname says...

ChannelX wrote:
Bus Lanes are actually the cause of much congestion in and around Swindon.

Utterly ridiculous when you consider the buses run around virtually empty for 14 out of the 18 hours a day they operate.
Thats that all resolved then.
Well done.
Anything constructive?
[quote][p][bold]ChannelX[/bold] wrote: Bus Lanes are actually the cause of much congestion in and around Swindon. Utterly ridiculous when you consider the buses run around virtually empty for 14 out of the 18 hours a day they operate.[/p][/quote]Thats that all resolved then. Well done. Anything constructive? Badgersgetabadname
  • Score: 1

7:45am Thu 15 May 14

ChannelX says...

Badgersgetabadname wrote:
ChannelX wrote:
Bus Lanes are actually the cause of much congestion in and around Swindon.

Utterly ridiculous when you consider the buses run around virtually empty for 14 out of the 18 hours a day they operate.
Thats that all resolved then.
Well done.
Anything constructive?
Yes, removed all bus lanes and remove traffic light controls at roundabouts.

That would noticeably increase traffic flow and reduce congestion overnight and at little cost.
[quote][p][bold]Badgersgetabadname[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ChannelX[/bold] wrote: Bus Lanes are actually the cause of much congestion in and around Swindon. Utterly ridiculous when you consider the buses run around virtually empty for 14 out of the 18 hours a day they operate.[/p][/quote]Thats that all resolved then. Well done. Anything constructive?[/p][/quote]Yes, removed all bus lanes and remove traffic light controls at roundabouts. That would noticeably increase traffic flow and reduce congestion overnight and at little cost. ChannelX
  • Score: 1

8:36am Thu 15 May 14

Badgersgetabadname says...

ChannelX wrote:
Badgersgetabadname wrote:
ChannelX wrote:
Bus Lanes are actually the cause of much congestion in and around Swindon.

Utterly ridiculous when you consider the buses run around virtually empty for 14 out of the 18 hours a day they operate.
Thats that all resolved then.
Well done.
Anything constructive?
Yes, removed all bus lanes and remove traffic light controls at roundabouts.

That would noticeably increase traffic flow and reduce congestion overnight and at little cost.
Well done you, something that wasnt just complaining.
You win a star and can have a biscuit with your milk.

So the buses will stop in traffic for stops etc..
As long as I can remember that road in has always been stacked with traffic as a childhood memory cars were bumper to bumper with the incinerator in the background putting out more smoke.

It would be interesting that if there was someone in the know that could explain pros and cons of this

Completely agree about traffic lights at roundabouts I have explained that (or tried to) to people from all over the world and the reaction is the same.
[quote][p][bold]ChannelX[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Badgersgetabadname[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ChannelX[/bold] wrote: Bus Lanes are actually the cause of much congestion in and around Swindon. Utterly ridiculous when you consider the buses run around virtually empty for 14 out of the 18 hours a day they operate.[/p][/quote]Thats that all resolved then. Well done. Anything constructive?[/p][/quote]Yes, removed all bus lanes and remove traffic light controls at roundabouts. That would noticeably increase traffic flow and reduce congestion overnight and at little cost.[/p][/quote]Well done you, something that wasnt just complaining. You win a star and can have a biscuit with your milk. So the buses will stop in traffic for stops etc.. As long as I can remember that road in has always been stacked with traffic as a childhood memory cars were bumper to bumper with the incinerator in the background putting out more smoke. It would be interesting that if there was someone in the know that could explain pros and cons of this Completely agree about traffic lights at roundabouts I have explained that (or tried to) to people from all over the world and the reaction is the same. Badgersgetabadname
  • Score: 1

10:02am Thu 15 May 14

ChannelX says...

So, you insult people and have a pop when they don't do what you ask... and then insult people and have a pop when they do what you ask.

What an absolute prize **** you really are.
So, you insult people and have a pop when they don't do what you ask... and then insult people and have a pop when they do what you ask. What an absolute prize **** you really are. ChannelX
  • Score: -5

2:38pm Thu 15 May 14

Badgersgetabadname says...

Where was the insult? I congratulated you on a sensible idea and made a light hearted quip about a reward????
Then I asked if the idea could develop so that as many people as possible would benefit.
If I didnt know better I would think you didnt want progressive debate and only an argument. Thats not the case though is it because you are an adult?
Where was the insult? I congratulated you on a sensible idea and made a light hearted quip about a reward???? Then I asked if the idea could develop so that as many people as possible would benefit. If I didnt know better I would think you didnt want progressive debate and only an argument. Thats not the case though is it because you are an adult? Badgersgetabadname
  • Score: 4

3:20pm Thu 15 May 14

ChannelX says...

You really are completely insane.
You really are completely insane. ChannelX
  • Score: -8

3:40pm Thu 15 May 14

Even Angrier Monkey says...

Badgersgetabadname wrote:
Even Angrier Monkey wrote: Not building massive new estates with a major trunk road through the middle that has an obvious bottleneck at one end. There is already a reasonable bus service in place in the area, the problem is it is totally useless unless you want to go to the town centre, which many people either dont want to (because its crap) or dont need to (because they work outside of Swindon altogether or in the numerous industrial or office estates that are nowhere near the town centre.
So a bus into the terminus in town then onto destination? Like almost every town / city in the country you mean? Bearing in mind that a time machine is not available captain, any suggestions that can actually be carried out?
Fantastic. So my journey to and from work can be extended to 60 minutes each way in less comfort than I currently experience with no real cost saving. Sounds great. Sign me up for a season ticket.

As for a suggestion, bulid the road linking thamesdown drive to Great Western way. You know, the point that is actually made in the article?
[quote][p][bold]Badgersgetabadname[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Even Angrier Monkey[/bold] wrote: Not building massive new estates with a major trunk road through the middle that has an obvious bottleneck at one end. There is already a reasonable bus service in place in the area, the problem is it is totally useless unless you want to go to the town centre, which many people either dont want to (because its crap) or dont need to (because they work outside of Swindon altogether or in the numerous industrial or office estates that are nowhere near the town centre.[/p][/quote]So a bus into the terminus in town then onto destination? Like almost every town / city in the country you mean? Bearing in mind that a time machine is not available captain, any suggestions that can actually be carried out?[/p][/quote]Fantastic. So my journey to and from work can be extended to 60 minutes each way in less comfort than I currently experience with no real cost saving. Sounds great. Sign me up for a season ticket. As for a suggestion, bulid the road linking thamesdown drive to Great Western way. You know, the point that is actually made in the article? Even Angrier Monkey
  • Score: 2

4:01pm Thu 15 May 14

Badgersgetabadname says...

ChannelX wrote:
You really are completely insane.
Fine, you are incapable of adult debate you are either very angry, very lonely or both.
I attempted to start again and you have refused.
Each time you make comments the exact same points come back that I am this and that. In a previous article about the state of mental health services in Swindon I replied to a lady who had been in an extremely violent situation for many years and this had led to her setting up a help group in Swindon to help others. I explained to her that I could relate as had similar situation and that with time and support from others she can come through the dark times.
You were not involved in that thread at all yet in almost every thread since you have attempted to use this against me. Do you think that you make me feel bad or that somehow your ignorant opinions of me matter at all?
If you do not intend this then why do you bring it up at every possible opportunity. It doesnt bother me I have come through far more than you and your pathetic rants.
Your thinly veiled right wing uneducated views are quite frankly disgusting in a modern society, before you say you dont need an education because of your "life experience" please save it its boring.

Everything is either correct right wing or loony left with you,m is your thought process so limited that all you see is two sides?

Yes you do use a number of accounts but to prove it would be pointless as you just lie/deny knowledge or that you have been cloned...yaaaawan. Why do you think anyone would care enough in an annon comments section in a local paper to bother?
Some serious delusions of adequacy on your part.

Foolishly on my part I congratulated you for making a good point and then in an act of absolute madness I asked you to expand on your idea you have apparently felt threatened by this and gone back to personal attacks rather than staying on topic.
Never mind I have tried to be reasonable but its just pointless.
As the sun is shining think I will go out for a spot of fishing and a bbq.
[quote][p][bold]ChannelX[/bold] wrote: You really are completely insane.[/p][/quote]Fine, you are incapable of adult debate you are either very angry, very lonely or both. I attempted to start again and you have refused. Each time you make comments the exact same points come back that I am this and that. In a previous article about the state of mental health services in Swindon I replied to a lady who had been in an extremely violent situation for many years and this had led to her setting up a help group in Swindon to help others. I explained to her that I could relate as had similar situation and that with time and support from others she can come through the dark times. You were not involved in that thread at all yet in almost every thread since you have attempted to use this against me. Do you think that you make me feel bad or that somehow your ignorant opinions of me matter at all? If you do not intend this then why do you bring it up at every possible opportunity. It doesnt bother me I have come through far more than you and your pathetic rants. Your thinly veiled right wing uneducated views are quite frankly disgusting in a modern society, before you say you dont need an education because of your "life experience" please save it its boring. Everything is either correct right wing or loony left with you,m is your thought process so limited that all you see is two sides? Yes you do use a number of accounts but to prove it would be pointless as you just lie/deny knowledge or that you have been cloned...yaaaawan. Why do you think anyone would care enough in an annon comments section in a local paper to bother? Some serious delusions of adequacy on your part. Foolishly on my part I congratulated you for making a good point and then in an act of absolute madness I asked you to expand on your idea you have apparently felt threatened by this and gone back to personal attacks rather than staying on topic. Never mind I have tried to be reasonable but its just pointless. As the sun is shining think I will go out for a spot of fishing and a bbq. Badgersgetabadname
  • Score: 4

4:03pm Thu 15 May 14

Badgersgetabadname says...

Even Angrier Monkey wrote:
Badgersgetabadname wrote:
Even Angrier Monkey wrote: Not building massive new estates with a major trunk road through the middle that has an obvious bottleneck at one end. There is already a reasonable bus service in place in the area, the problem is it is totally useless unless you want to go to the town centre, which many people either dont want to (because its crap) or dont need to (because they work outside of Swindon altogether or in the numerous industrial or office estates that are nowhere near the town centre.
So a bus into the terminus in town then onto destination? Like almost every town / city in the country you mean? Bearing in mind that a time machine is not available captain, any suggestions that can actually be carried out?
Fantastic. So my journey to and from work can be extended to 60 minutes each way in less comfort than I currently experience with no real cost saving. Sounds great. Sign me up for a season ticket.

As for a suggestion, bulid the road linking thamesdown drive to Great Western way. You know, the point that is actually made in the article?
Er....the comments section has expressed that information in the article would be insufficient so alternative ideas or amending existing ideas would probably be the point of the comments section.
Bless x
[quote][p][bold]Even Angrier Monkey[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Badgersgetabadname[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Even Angrier Monkey[/bold] wrote: Not building massive new estates with a major trunk road through the middle that has an obvious bottleneck at one end. There is already a reasonable bus service in place in the area, the problem is it is totally useless unless you want to go to the town centre, which many people either dont want to (because its crap) or dont need to (because they work outside of Swindon altogether or in the numerous industrial or office estates that are nowhere near the town centre.[/p][/quote]So a bus into the terminus in town then onto destination? Like almost every town / city in the country you mean? Bearing in mind that a time machine is not available captain, any suggestions that can actually be carried out?[/p][/quote]Fantastic. So my journey to and from work can be extended to 60 minutes each way in less comfort than I currently experience with no real cost saving. Sounds great. Sign me up for a season ticket. As for a suggestion, bulid the road linking thamesdown drive to Great Western way. You know, the point that is actually made in the article?[/p][/quote]Er....the comments section has expressed that information in the article would be insufficient so alternative ideas or amending existing ideas would probably be the point of the comments section. Bless x Badgersgetabadname
  • Score: 3

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree