Get involved! Send photos, video, news & views. Text SWINDON NEWS to 80360 or email us
'I don't trust police,' says father of murdered Becky
Updated 10:14pm Friday 16th May 2014 in News
THE father of the second woman found as the Sian O’Callaghan murder investigation unravelled has said he cannot trust the police after the handling of Becky’s case.
John Godden said he was not surprised by Steve Fulcher’s decision to resign from Wiltshire Police months after being found guilty of misconduct for breaching the Police and Criminal Evidence Act and force media policy.
The 55-year-old said action should have been taken sooner after the fallout from the 2011 investigation, during which a second charge of murder was dropped against mini-cab driver Chris Halliwell due to vital evidence being ruled inadmissible because of the PACE breaches.
Becky’s case has gathered pace recently after new evidence was found in the field in Eastleach, Gloucestershire, where her body was found in April 2011 by the new investigation team headed up by Detective Chief Inspector Sean Memory.
John said: “I’m terribly shocked it’s taken this long – it should have been dealt with three years ago.
“The man was in the wrong and he perverted the course of justice. He cut me out of the investigation – it’s all there in an Independent Police Complaints Commission report.
“I wasn’t told about the press conference or that Becky’s body had been released for burial.
“I cannot explain my feelings. I’m not gloating about him resigning but he was a law unto himself and I will never forgive Wiltshire Police.”
Comments are closed on this article.