Swindon Advertiser'I don't trust police,' says father of murdered Becky (From Swindon Advertiser)

Get involved! Send photos, video, news & views. Text SWINDON NEWS to 80360 or email us

'I don't trust police,' says father of murdered Becky

Swindon Advertiser: John Godden John Godden

THE father of the second woman found as the Sian O’Callaghan murder investigation unravelled has said he cannot trust the police after the handling of Becky’s case.

John Godden said he was not surprised by Steve Fulcher’s decision to resign from Wiltshire Police months after being found guilty of misconduct for breaching the Police and Criminal Evidence Act and force media policy.

The 55-year-old said action should have been taken sooner after the fallout from the 2011 investigation, during which a second charge of murder was dropped against mini-cab driver Chris Halliwell due to vital evidence being ruled inadmissible because of the PACE breaches.

Becky’s case has gathered pace recently after new evidence was found in the field in Eastleach, Gloucestershire, where her body was found in April 2011 by the new investigation team headed up by Detective Chief Inspector Sean Memory.

John said: “I’m terribly shocked it’s taken this long – it should have been dealt with three years ago.

“The man was in the wrong and he perverted the course of justice. He cut me out of the investigation – it’s all there in an Independent Police Complaints Commission report.

“I wasn’t told about the press conference or that Becky’s body had been released for burial.

“I cannot explain my feelings. I’m not gloating about him resigning but he was a law unto himself and I will never forgive Wiltshire Police.”

Comments (15)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:52pm Fri 16 May 14

Hearditallbefore says...

Adver have decided to cut n paste from lead story for some reason.
Adver have decided to cut n paste from lead story for some reason. Hearditallbefore
  • Score: 2

1:20pm Fri 16 May 14

house on the hill says...

I think most of the police do a good job, but it is only the bad apples or bad decisions we ever hear about, all the good work they do never gets reported.
I think most of the police do a good job, but it is only the bad apples or bad decisions we ever hear about, all the good work they do never gets reported. house on the hill
  • Score: 12

6:15pm Fri 16 May 14

Mango man says...

Is this the same father of Becky who allegedly hadn't seen or bothered with her for years and now suddenly is all over the press? Can't imagine why this is happening!
Is this the same father of Becky who allegedly hadn't seen or bothered with her for years and now suddenly is all over the press? Can't imagine why this is happening! Mango man
  • Score: 21

6:28pm Fri 16 May 14

Robh says...

When I read his comments on Facebook it seems no wonder both Becky and his wife left him.
When I read his comments on Facebook it seems no wonder both Becky and his wife left him. Robh
  • Score: 13

7:01pm Fri 16 May 14

eureka+ says...

you have a problem with one officer (who's only mistake was being too anxious to do a good job" , and you now tarnish every officer with the same brush.. this is simply "not cricket" old chap..
you have a problem with one officer (who's only mistake was being too anxious to do a good job" , and you now tarnish every officer with the same brush.. this is simply "not cricket" old chap.. eureka+
  • Score: 18

8:14pm Fri 16 May 14

XJR says...

Easy to slang off this guy on here
Get your facts right you haven't got a clue what went on in this case.
Or the past ,so I suggest you keep your low life comments to yourselves
Easy to slang off this guy on here Get your facts right you haven't got a clue what went on in this case. Or the past ,so I suggest you keep your low life comments to yourselves XJR
  • Score: -2

8:39pm Fri 16 May 14

eureka+ says...

to Quote the mother of the victim in this case.. and she should know the facts:

“I feel that this is going to be such a waste from such a wonderful, experienced detective.

“He is and will always be my hero and I will always be eternally grateful.

“I have such admiration for him, I have said it many times before if he had stuck to PACE rules then neither my daughter Becky or Sian would have been found."

enough said
to Quote the mother of the victim in this case.. and she should know the facts: “I feel that this is going to be such a waste from such a wonderful, experienced detective. “He is and will always be my hero and I will always be eternally grateful. “I have such admiration for him, I have said it many times before if he had stuck to PACE rules then neither my daughter Becky or Sian would have been found." enough said eureka+
  • Score: 13

8:50pm Fri 16 May 14

bongenodge says...

all you ever heard one side of the story have all the above had a go at Becky's father have you ever read the full ipcc report parts 1 & 2 also where you there at the hearing? if you were you will know the truth about this most shocking murder case the sad fact of the matter is FULCHER is massively at fault ask the Birmingham six or the Guildford four who were convicted on dodgy confessions(ring any bells) this why the PACE code of practice & the police caution were bought in fact! ask these people there views on this case who served many years in prison despite being innocent!! get your facts & support justice for Becky not law changes which FULCHER broke fact!! the Swindon public have been led up the garden path!! the will out see who side you will be on then!!! love on ya the father of REBECCA GODDEN FACT!!! XX
all you ever heard one side of the story have all the above had a go at Becky's father have you ever read the full ipcc report parts 1 & 2 also where you there at the hearing? if you were you will know the truth about this most shocking murder case the sad fact of the matter is FULCHER is massively at fault ask the Birmingham six or the Guildford four who were convicted on dodgy confessions(ring any bells) this why the PACE code of practice & the police caution were bought in fact! ask these people there views on this case who served many years in prison despite being innocent!! get your facts & support justice for Becky not law changes which FULCHER broke fact!! the Swindon public have been led up the garden path!! the will out see who side you will be on then!!! love on ya the father of REBECCA GODDEN FACT!!! XX bongenodge
  • Score: -10

8:55pm Fri 16 May 14

bongenodge says...

Mango man wrote:
Is this the same father of Becky who allegedly hadn't seen or bothered with her for years and now suddenly is all over the press? Can't imagine why this is happening!
you don't the truth your talking rubbish
[quote][p][bold]Mango man[/bold] wrote: Is this the same father of Becky who allegedly hadn't seen or bothered with her for years and now suddenly is all over the press? Can't imagine why this is happening![/p][/quote]you don't the truth your talking rubbish bongenodge
  • Score: -9

9:33pm Fri 16 May 14

umpcah says...

bongenodge wrote:
all you ever heard one side of the story have all the above had a go at Becky's father have you ever read the full ipcc report parts 1 & 2 also where you there at the hearing? if you were you will know the truth about this most shocking murder case the sad fact of the matter is FULCHER is massively at fault ask the Birmingham six or the Guildford four who were convicted on dodgy confessions(ring any bells) this why the PACE code of practice & the police caution were bought in fact! ask these people there views on this case who served many years in prison despite being innocent!! get your facts & support justice for Becky not law changes which FULCHER broke fact!! the Swindon public have been led up the garden path!! the will out see who side you will be on then!!! love on ya the father of REBECCA GODDEN FACT!!! XX
Such a pity that you`re only semi-literate !
[quote][p][bold]bongenodge[/bold] wrote: all you ever heard one side of the story have all the above had a go at Becky's father have you ever read the full ipcc report parts 1 & 2 also where you there at the hearing? if you were you will know the truth about this most shocking murder case the sad fact of the matter is FULCHER is massively at fault ask the Birmingham six or the Guildford four who were convicted on dodgy confessions(ring any bells) this why the PACE code of practice & the police caution were bought in fact! ask these people there views on this case who served many years in prison despite being innocent!! get your facts & support justice for Becky not law changes which FULCHER broke fact!! the Swindon public have been led up the garden path!! the will out see who side you will be on then!!! love on ya the father of REBECCA GODDEN FACT!!! XX[/p][/quote]Such a pity that you`re only semi-literate ! umpcah
  • Score: 6

8:06am Sat 17 May 14

Mango man says...

bongenodge wrote:
Mango man wrote:
Is this the same father of Becky who allegedly hadn't seen or bothered with her for years and now suddenly is all over the press? Can't imagine why this is happening!
you don't the truth your talking rubbish
Go on then, tell us all how this man was a living father and was always there for his daughter. I rather think that had poor Becky not been found he'd still be pottering along in life as he was before the discovery
[quote][p][bold]bongenodge[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mango man[/bold] wrote: Is this the same father of Becky who allegedly hadn't seen or bothered with her for years and now suddenly is all over the press? Can't imagine why this is happening![/p][/quote]you don't the truth your talking rubbish[/p][/quote]Go on then, tell us all how this man was a living father and was always there for his daughter. I rather think that had poor Becky not been found he'd still be pottering along in life as he was before the discovery Mango man
  • Score: 2

9:12am Sat 17 May 14

bongenodge says...

Mango man wrote:
bongenodge wrote:
Mango man wrote:
Is this the same father of Becky who allegedly hadn't seen or bothered with her for years and now suddenly is all over the press? Can't imagine why this is happening!
you don't the truth your talking rubbish
Go on then, tell us all how this man was a living father and was always there for his daughter. I rather think that had poor Becky not been found he'd still be pottering along in life as he was before the discovery
are you some kind of joke?! this is a murder case Becky's life was taken from her & you got the audacity talk to me like that?! go on tell me what you actually know about me & Becky !! you think it's right that a man can take the law into his own hands? you know absolutely nothing about Becky & you certainly don't nothing about me but then again I couldn't careless what you say to honest the real hero in all of this is REBECCA GODDEN FACT! me all over the press what laugh that is!!
[quote][p][bold]Mango man[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bongenodge[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mango man[/bold] wrote: Is this the same father of Becky who allegedly hadn't seen or bothered with her for years and now suddenly is all over the press? Can't imagine why this is happening![/p][/quote]you don't the truth your talking rubbish[/p][/quote]Go on then, tell us all how this man was a living father and was always there for his daughter. I rather think that had poor Becky not been found he'd still be pottering along in life as he was before the discovery[/p][/quote]are you some kind of joke?! this is a murder case Becky's life was taken from her & you got the audacity talk to me like that?! go on tell me what you actually know about me & Becky !! you think it's right that a man can take the law into his own hands? you know absolutely nothing about Becky & you certainly don't nothing about me but then again I couldn't careless what you say to honest the real hero in all of this is REBECCA GODDEN FACT! me all over the press what laugh that is!! bongenodge
  • Score: -2

12:33pm Sat 17 May 14

bongenodge says...

nice to see man doing a proper job that should of been done over 3 years ago sorry for being semi literate but there's more important things out there!!! Becky's day will come then I might be all over the press(sic) get your facts right to the quarter wit post on here what you think you know about Becky & me then I can put you straight on the matters I'm sure the public would find it very interesting to say the least I get one little piece of publicity which you have look at through a jewellers eyepiece & you stamp your little feet does the truth hurt?! you can say what you want about me but show some dignity for REBECCA GODDEN the REAL HERO XX
nice to see man doing a proper job that should of been done over 3 years ago sorry for being semi literate but there's more important things out there!!! Becky's day will come then I might be all over the press(sic) get your facts right to the quarter wit post on here what you think you know about Becky & me then I can put you straight on the matters I'm sure the public would find it very interesting to say the least I get one little piece of publicity which you have look at through a jewellers eyepiece & you stamp your little feet does the truth hurt?! you can say what you want about me but show some dignity for REBECCA GODDEN the REAL HERO XX bongenodge
  • Score: -2

12:33pm Sat 17 May 14

underdogs says...

" I dont trust the police " is the title of this article by an ANONYMOUS adver reporter !!! Clear it is not wise to identify yourself when printing the truth, especially with so many on line readers backing the police regardless of their serious failings which many of us have experienced that have lead to life changing events or injuries and serious detriment.
Yes there are some good ones, but the bad ones have ruined the reputation of and many of the publics confidence in Wiltshire Police over a number of years now.
Say what you like - its true !
" I dont trust the police " is the title of this article by an ANONYMOUS adver reporter !!! Clear it is not wise to identify yourself when printing the truth, especially with so many on line readers backing the police regardless of their serious failings which many of us have experienced that have lead to life changing events or injuries and serious detriment. Yes there are some good ones, but the bad ones have ruined the reputation of and many of the publics confidence in Wiltshire Police over a number of years now. Say what you like - its true ! underdogs
  • Score: 0

11:34pm Sat 17 May 14

Chrisg46 says...

Personally, i think this is comment thread should be removed due to the now emotional content.

Bodgenodge, assuming you are real and not some troll, I am sorry for your loss. I disagree completely with your sentiments, but no parent should have to go through with what you have had to.
Personally, i think this is comment thread should be removed due to the now emotional content. Bodgenodge, assuming you are real and not some troll, I am sorry for your loss. I disagree completely with your sentiments, but no parent should have to go through with what you have had to. Chrisg46
  • Score: 4

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree