Swindon AdvertiserOasis refurb struck by delays (From Swindon Advertiser)

Get involved! Send photos, video, news & views. Text SWINDON NEWS to 80360 or email us

Oasis refurb struck by delays

Swindon Advertiser: Oasis refurb struck by delays Oasis refurb struck by delays

COUNCIL leaders have said while they would have preferred work at the Oasis to have moved more quickly, the public will still benefit from the it.

Earlier this month, it was revealed the refurbishment of the pool side changing rooms, as well as the replacement of the iconic dome, are not going to begin until the end of this year.

Moirai Capital Investments, which holds the lease, has said this is to avoid any potential closure or disruption during peak periods. It was hoped the work would be completed by the end of 2013 but the company missed the key to start without causing disruption during a busy time of year.

Moirai are also in the process of putting together a proposal to build an indoor ski slope and a concert venue, which is expected to be put forward to the council later in the summer.

Coun Keith Williams (Con, Shaw), who is the cabinet member for leisure, said: “There are some elements of the Oasis that are moving a little slower than we would have liked but the deal has already saved the council a lot of money.

“We had a situation where the Oasis was being subsidised in the region of half a million every year so already there has been a big saving.

“Work to the changing rooms and dome are due to start later this year but a huge sum of money has already been invested. “The reception area has been transformed so visitors no longer have to queue in the rain. The gym has completely been transformed and is now one of the largest open plan gyms in the South West.”

There were also some concerns raised with the council about whether Moirai had sufficient finances in place last year but these fears have been allayed after the company secured a £1m loan for the rest of the refurbishment.

While the running of the Oasis is now in the hands of Moirai, and GLL operate the centre day-to-day, there is an option for the council to remove parts of land from the deal if there are significant delays in moving forward with the site’s development.

However, this is not thought to be on the cards at this stage.

Coun Williams says it important to remember that so far there has been an overall benefit to the public.

He said: “The investment we have seen so far would not have happened if it had remained in council control and the money saved has been used towards vital public services.

“A lot of people were concerned about prices rising but in fact we have seen prices stay the same, or go up in line with inflation, and in some cases, such as the gym, the prices have dropped.”

Comments (24)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:30am Mon 2 Jun 14

Always Grumpy says...

Another delay?
Well, there's a surprise!
Another delay? Well, there's a surprise! Always Grumpy
  • Score: 6

7:46am Mon 2 Jun 14

lolilovegolf says...

Delays again!
Im sure at first Morai said that the ski dome would by built by end of 2014!

:(
Delays again! Im sure at first Morai said that the ski dome would by built by end of 2014! :( lolilovegolf
  • Score: 10

8:30am Mon 2 Jun 14

house on the hill says...

I doubt this will surprise anyone and will not be the last delay. Let hope the Council remembered to put delay fines in the contract and have the guts to chase them. But as usual they probably didnt even bother. Lets hope they get rid of Capita now that contract is being renewed as they just slow things down and I dont think anyone feels it has benefited the town them being here. It was a false economy as many said at the time.
I doubt this will surprise anyone and will not be the last delay. Let hope the Council remembered to put delay fines in the contract and have the guts to chase them. But as usual they probably didnt even bother. Lets hope they get rid of Capita now that contract is being renewed as they just slow things down and I dont think anyone feels it has benefited the town them being here. It was a false economy as many said at the time. house on the hill
  • Score: 6

9:44am Mon 2 Jun 14

Davey Gravey says...

The usual balls up Swindon residents are well used to by now.
The usual balls up Swindon residents are well used to by now. Davey Gravey
  • Score: 11

10:31am Mon 2 Jun 14

beach1e says...

well done Swindon Council yet another show of total incompetence. This council are a joke, contractors must love doing projects for them.
well done Swindon Council yet another show of total incompetence. This council are a joke, contractors must love doing projects for them. beach1e
  • Score: 7

11:41am Mon 2 Jun 14

Richard Symonds says...

Well the good people of Swindon still think that the Conservatives are 'nice people to do business with' just like the developers, otherwise they would not have re elected them.

However, they spin this, the deal with Moriai is a disaster and it does not seem to get them to rethink the Privatization of the rest of Leisure in any way whatsoever. Any organization that continues to return to the negotiating table making yet more demands proves the weakness of our position and should have been shown the door but the Council does not have the b**** to do it as the deal was more important than the consequences!!
Well the good people of Swindon still think that the Conservatives are 'nice people to do business with' just like the developers, otherwise they would not have re elected them. However, they spin this, the deal with Moriai is a disaster and it does not seem to get them to rethink the Privatization of the rest of Leisure in any way whatsoever. Any organization that continues to return to the negotiating table making yet more demands proves the weakness of our position and should have been shown the door but the Council does not have the b**** to do it as the deal was more important than the consequences!! Richard Symonds
  • Score: 11

11:43am Mon 2 Jun 14

Richard Symonds says...

beach1e wrote:
well done Swindon Council yet another show of total incompetence. This council are a joke, contractors must love doing projects for them.
Was that the reason why they were re elected beach?
[quote][p][bold]beach1e[/bold] wrote: well done Swindon Council yet another show of total incompetence. This council are a joke, contractors must love doing projects for them.[/p][/quote]Was that the reason why they were re elected beach? Richard Symonds
  • Score: -1

1:21pm Mon 2 Jun 14

Ollie Dognacky says...

Free wifi anyone? 🙊
Free wifi anyone? 🙊 Ollie Dognacky
  • Score: 0

1:36pm Mon 2 Jun 14

house on the hill says...

Richard Symonds wrote:
Well the good people of Swindon still think that the Conservatives are 'nice people to do business with' just like the developers, otherwise they would not have re elected them.

However, they spin this, the deal with Moriai is a disaster and it does not seem to get them to rethink the Privatization of the rest of Leisure in any way whatsoever. Any organization that continues to return to the negotiating table making yet more demands proves the weakness of our position and should have been shown the door but the Council does not have the b**** to do it as the deal was more important than the consequences!!
Strange that it was a Labour idea to bring in all the private sector contractors to work with the public sector and created all these problems the Carillion and Capita and the like employing cheap staff who don't care and are just in it for the money, many of which partnerships in other councils have been thrown out as a waste of money. Public and private sector dont mix (one has a responsibility to provide a service the other has a responsibility to make as much money for their shareholders as they can and sod the service). Projects like this never work.
[quote][p][bold]Richard Symonds[/bold] wrote: Well the good people of Swindon still think that the Conservatives are 'nice people to do business with' just like the developers, otherwise they would not have re elected them. However, they spin this, the deal with Moriai is a disaster and it does not seem to get them to rethink the Privatization of the rest of Leisure in any way whatsoever. Any organization that continues to return to the negotiating table making yet more demands proves the weakness of our position and should have been shown the door but the Council does not have the b**** to do it as the deal was more important than the consequences!![/p][/quote]Strange that it was a Labour idea to bring in all the private sector contractors to work with the public sector and created all these problems the Carillion and Capita and the like employing cheap staff who don't care and are just in it for the money, many of which partnerships in other councils have been thrown out as a waste of money. Public and private sector dont mix (one has a responsibility to provide a service the other has a responsibility to make as much money for their shareholders as they can and sod the service). Projects like this never work. house on the hill
  • Score: -3

3:09pm Mon 2 Jun 14

Ollie Dognacky says...

Why did you say "strange that it was a Labour idea"?
Labour AND the current Conservative administration are equally narrow minded and thus incompetent
Why did you say "strange that it was a Labour idea"? Labour AND the current Conservative administration are equally narrow minded and thus incompetent Ollie Dognacky
  • Score: 0

4:01pm Mon 2 Jun 14

Bobby_Lovin says...

Any of you whingers actually been over to the Oasis to see the progress they have made?

The new Gym and changing rooms are great and the reception has been done well.

Let's look at some positives for a change?
Any of you whingers actually been over to the Oasis to see the progress they have made? The new Gym and changing rooms are great and the reception has been done well. Let's look at some positives for a change? Bobby_Lovin
  • Score: 4

5:48pm Mon 2 Jun 14

Ollie Dognacky says...

As usual, this report seems to have been investigated much better on talkswindon.co.uk
Without the SBC spin 😳
As usual, this report seems to have been investigated much better on talkswindon.co.uk Without the SBC spin 😳 Ollie Dognacky
  • Score: -5

6:39pm Mon 2 Jun 14

FLOGGITLAD says...

have the councillors, that is the ones who actually knew about the lease variation document, agreed yet just who is paying for the services charges, has this so called great company filed thier annual reports yet, and if not why. why do they operate out of a 'service' office in London. if you ask questions all you get is ignore. the new dome roof???>
have the councillors, that is the ones who actually knew about the lease variation document, agreed yet just who is paying for the services charges, has this so called great company filed thier annual reports yet, and if not why. why do they operate out of a 'service' office in London. if you ask questions all you get is ignore. the new dome roof???> FLOGGITLAD
  • Score: 0

6:43pm Mon 2 Jun 14

Wildwestener says...

Anyone who has actually ever tried to do refurbishment projects will know they are always subject to delays and have to be fitted in around business as normal wherever possible. I am not, in principle, a great fan of getting private contractors to carry out public services, but phasing work around busy periods to maximize income and minimize disruption does not seem to me to be a reason to slag off the contractor.
Anyone who has actually ever tried to do refurbishment projects will know they are always subject to delays and have to be fitted in around business as normal wherever possible. I am not, in principle, a great fan of getting private contractors to carry out public services, but phasing work around busy periods to maximize income and minimize disruption does not seem to me to be a reason to slag off the contractor. Wildwestener
  • Score: 1

6:46pm Mon 2 Jun 14

FLOGGITLAD says...

I don't know if you do go onto the talk Swindon website, but you should read some of the comments on there, about this great company. and then you can support hem.....
I don't know if you do go onto the talk Swindon website, but you should read some of the comments on there, about this great company. and then you can support hem..... FLOGGITLAD
  • Score: -4

9:39am Tue 3 Jun 14

ChannelX says...

Ollie Dognacky wrote:
As usual, this report seems to have been investigated much better on talkswindon.co.uk
Without the SBC spin 😳
There's a surprise, I Too / Empty Car Park / Ollie Dognacky attempting to promote the local Labour party forum.

By all means visit their site, the one where 10 or so people still can't work out why the local Labour group can't manage to win control of the council.
[quote][p][bold]Ollie Dognacky[/bold] wrote: As usual, this report seems to have been investigated much better on talkswindon.co.uk Without the SBC spin 😳[/p][/quote]There's a surprise, I Too / Empty Car Park / Ollie Dognacky attempting to promote the local Labour party forum. By all means visit their site, the one where 10 or so people still can't work out why the local Labour group can't manage to win control of the council. ChannelX
  • Score: 0

10:01am Tue 3 Jun 14

Ollie Dognacky says...

Yes.
Do have a look at talkswindon.co.uk where trolls are not tolerated and there is much more information of this " business venture"
😇
Yes. Do have a look at talkswindon.co.uk where trolls are not tolerated and there is much more information of this " business venture" 😇 Ollie Dognacky
  • Score: -2

12:20pm Tue 3 Jun 14

The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man says...

I've never looked before actually but I just took a quick look on that site, and it's quite funny actually.

Out of interest, is it a labour party forum or are opposing views allowed?

It's interesting because on there the conservative administration is being lambasted throughout the few threads I picked up on. However it's all quite hypocritically funny because those that are throwing the mud seem to be just as guilty of the same offences!
I've never looked before actually but I just took a quick look on that site, and it's quite funny actually. Out of interest, is it a labour party forum or are opposing views allowed? It's interesting because on there the conservative administration is being lambasted throughout the few threads I picked up on. However it's all quite hypocritically funny because those that are throwing the mud seem to be just as guilty of the same offences! The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man
  • Score: 1

12:41pm Tue 3 Jun 14

Ollie Dognacky says...

Oops! My mistake.
It's talkswindon.org. 😳

Yes. Opposing views are allowed on there.
There is even a thread called "Labour's Abject Failure"

So not actually a Labour forum at all.
The reason the tories get the bulk of criticism is because they have controlled Swindon Borough Clownschool for many years
Oops! My mistake. It's talkswindon.org. 😳 Yes. Opposing views are allowed on there. There is even a thread called "Labour's Abject Failure" So not actually a Labour forum at all. The reason the tories get the bulk of criticism is because they have controlled Swindon Borough Clownschool for many years Ollie Dognacky
  • Score: -2

1:13pm Tue 3 Jun 14

ChannelX says...

The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man wrote:
I've never looked before actually but I just took a quick look on that site, and it's quite funny actually.

Out of interest, is it a labour party forum or are opposing views allowed?

It's interesting because on there the conservative administration is being lambasted throughout the few threads I picked up on. However it's all quite hypocritically funny because those that are throwing the mud seem to be just as guilty of the same offences!
By 'trolls', I Too / Ollie Dognacky actually means, 'anyone who doesn't toe the line or who offers an opposing opinion'.

There are about 10 regular contributors to the site, about 7 of which are either Labour councillors, wannabe Labour MPs/councillors or people who were Labour party members and got kicked out for being so offensive to everyone else.

It's actually so bad at that site that when anyone posts a remotely non-Left wing view they are accused of being one and the same person.

They still don't seem to realise that the town has two Tory MPs and a majority council.

Indeed, many of them seem to view the people of Swindon with utter contempt for having the audacity not to vote Labour into power.

Even the ones who claim not to be pro-Labour have a pathological hatred of the current council and everything Tory. I Too / Ollie Dognacky being one of the most glaring examples.

It's a very, very strange place. Hence it appeals to strange people - such as Ollie Dognacky, or whichever of his five other usernames he sometimes uses here.
[quote][p][bold]The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man[/bold] wrote: I've never looked before actually but I just took a quick look on that site, and it's quite funny actually. Out of interest, is it a labour party forum or are opposing views allowed? It's interesting because on there the conservative administration is being lambasted throughout the few threads I picked up on. However it's all quite hypocritically funny because those that are throwing the mud seem to be just as guilty of the same offences![/p][/quote]By 'trolls', I Too / Ollie Dognacky actually means, 'anyone who doesn't toe the line or who offers an opposing opinion'. There are about 10 regular contributors to the site, about 7 of which are either Labour councillors, wannabe Labour MPs/councillors or people who were Labour party members and got kicked out for being so offensive to everyone else. It's actually so bad at that site that when anyone posts a remotely non-Left wing view they are accused of being one and the same person. They still don't seem to realise that the town has two Tory MPs and a majority council. Indeed, many of them seem to view the people of Swindon with utter contempt for having the audacity not to vote Labour into power. Even the ones who claim not to be pro-Labour have a pathological hatred of the current council and everything Tory. I Too / Ollie Dognacky being one of the most glaring examples. It's a very, very strange place. Hence it appeals to strange people - such as Ollie Dognacky, or whichever of his five other usernames he sometimes uses here. ChannelX
  • Score: 3

1:54pm Tue 3 Jun 14

ChannelX says...

And the only reason there's a thead on there titled, "Labour's Abject Failure" is because even the Labour supporters have become angry that the local Labour group is so hopeless they still can't beat the Tories at a stage where they should be trouncing them without even trying.
And the only reason there's a thead on there titled, "Labour's Abject Failure" is because even the Labour supporters have become angry that the local Labour group is so hopeless they still can't beat the Tories at a stage where they should be trouncing them without even trying. ChannelX
  • Score: 1

3:07pm Tue 3 Jun 14

Ollie Dognacky says...

Oh yes... That's absolutely it 😜

Check it out for yourselves at
Talkswindon.org
Oh yes... That's absolutely it 😜 Check it out for yourselves at Talkswindon.org Ollie Dognacky
  • Score: 0

11:08pm Tue 3 Jun 14

FLOGGITLAD says...

channel x are you one of those who sit at council meetings bashing away on your ipad. jut look at the comments about the Oasis or the wifi fiasco and tell me if your not concerned how this lot are running this town..
channel x are you one of those who sit at council meetings bashing away on your ipad. jut look at the comments about the Oasis or the wifi fiasco and tell me if your not concerned how this lot are running this town.. FLOGGITLAD
  • Score: 0

4:49pm Wed 4 Jun 14

FLOGGITLAD says...

the lease for the Oasis was signed off last year, and the dome was meant to be rebuilt by May '13, so that gives you an idea of the timescale,, yet today we find that in Jan this year the council paid the vending machine bill of approx. £1260. so that is great savings for the tax payer who could use that money for green bag waste, how's that then channel x, report on that if you knew !!!>
the lease for the Oasis was signed off last year, and the dome was meant to be rebuilt by May '13, so that gives you an idea of the timescale,, yet today we find that in Jan this year the council paid the vending machine bill of approx. £1260. so that is great savings for the tax payer who could use that money for green bag waste, how's that then channel x, report on that if you knew !!!> FLOGGITLAD
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree