Swindon AdvertiserUPDATE: Thamesdown Drive crash victim still in hospital (From Swindon Advertiser)

Get involved! Send photos, video, news & views. Text SWINDON NEWS to 80360 or email us

UPDATE: Thamesdown Drive crash victim still in hospital

Swindon Advertiser: The accident scene on Thamesdown Drive The accident scene on Thamesdown Drive

THE father of Paul Winters, who was killed in a car crash on Thamesdown Drive last Sunday, remains in intensive care at Southmead Hospital in Bristol.

Peter Winters, 61, was driving the red Nissan when it was struck by a blue Astra, in the early hours.

Paul was an antiques dealer and it is believed the pair were travelling between car boot sales at the time of the crash.

Comments (9)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:40am Mon 2 Jun 14

CocoaClown says...

This accident is so tragic. I hope the man makes a full recovery and thoughts go out to the family of both men involved.

However, people have not learnt from this (or any of the other accidents on this road) and just this weekend alone I've witnessed excessive speeding (one car estimated at between 60-70mph) and people undercutting and then weaving through the traffic. There needs to be some form of deterrent as a slap on the wrist doesn't seem to be working. It boils my blood the way people drive down there with no regard to other uses of the road or paths. If you want to risk your life, then do so on a race track, don't put others at risk.
This accident is so tragic. I hope the man makes a full recovery and thoughts go out to the family of both men involved. However, people have not learnt from this (or any of the other accidents on this road) and just this weekend alone I've witnessed excessive speeding (one car estimated at between 60-70mph) and people undercutting and then weaving through the traffic. There needs to be some form of deterrent as a slap on the wrist doesn't seem to be working. It boils my blood the way people drive down there with no regard to other uses of the road or paths. If you want to risk your life, then do so on a race track, don't put others at risk. CocoaClown
  • Score: 14

11:54am Mon 2 Jun 14

scottwichall says...

CocoaClown wrote:
This accident is so tragic. I hope the man makes a full recovery and thoughts go out to the family of both men involved.

However, people have not learnt from this (or any of the other accidents on this road) and just this weekend alone I've witnessed excessive speeding (one car estimated at between 60-70mph) and people undercutting and then weaving through the traffic. There needs to be some form of deterrent as a slap on the wrist doesn't seem to be working. It boils my blood the way people drive down there with no regard to other uses of the road or paths. If you want to risk your life, then do so on a race track, don't put others at risk.
I have heard some rumours that the driver of the blue Astra was both drunk, and racing against Ford Focus. I don't know how true that is though.

Such a tragic loss of innocent life.
[quote][p][bold]CocoaClown[/bold] wrote: This accident is so tragic. I hope the man makes a full recovery and thoughts go out to the family of both men involved. However, people have not learnt from this (or any of the other accidents on this road) and just this weekend alone I've witnessed excessive speeding (one car estimated at between 60-70mph) and people undercutting and then weaving through the traffic. There needs to be some form of deterrent as a slap on the wrist doesn't seem to be working. It boils my blood the way people drive down there with no regard to other uses of the road or paths. If you want to risk your life, then do so on a race track, don't put others at risk.[/p][/quote]I have heard some rumours that the driver of the blue Astra was both drunk, and racing against Ford Focus. I don't know how true that is though. Such a tragic loss of innocent life. scottwichall
  • Score: -1

1:22pm Mon 2 Jun 14

house on the hill says...

CocoaClown wrote:
This accident is so tragic. I hope the man makes a full recovery and thoughts go out to the family of both men involved.

However, people have not learnt from this (or any of the other accidents on this road) and just this weekend alone I've witnessed excessive speeding (one car estimated at between 60-70mph) and people undercutting and then weaving through the traffic. There needs to be some form of deterrent as a slap on the wrist doesn't seem to be working. It boils my blood the way people drive down there with no regard to other uses of the road or paths. If you want to risk your life, then do so on a race track, don't put others at risk.
As you say a very sad event that happens all too often. There are still around 3000 deaths on the road every year and many more "life changing" injuries, which the Police and breakdown services will tell you are 95% driver error, or could have been avoided with a bit more care and attention. Too many people live in this "it will never happen to me" bubble and as in this case it the innocent party who suffers. Until such time as we have proper justice and value on human life and lock killer drivers up for a long time and at the very least ban them from driving for life (the victim doesn't get a second chance at life, why should the killer get one), this will continue unchecked.

Like others, I do hope that he pulls through and makes a full recovery, although losing your son in that way will not be something he ever gets over sadly.
[quote][p][bold]CocoaClown[/bold] wrote: This accident is so tragic. I hope the man makes a full recovery and thoughts go out to the family of both men involved. However, people have not learnt from this (or any of the other accidents on this road) and just this weekend alone I've witnessed excessive speeding (one car estimated at between 60-70mph) and people undercutting and then weaving through the traffic. There needs to be some form of deterrent as a slap on the wrist doesn't seem to be working. It boils my blood the way people drive down there with no regard to other uses of the road or paths. If you want to risk your life, then do so on a race track, don't put others at risk.[/p][/quote]As you say a very sad event that happens all too often. There are still around 3000 deaths on the road every year and many more "life changing" injuries, which the Police and breakdown services will tell you are 95% driver error, or could have been avoided with a bit more care and attention. Too many people live in this "it will never happen to me" bubble and as in this case it the innocent party who suffers. Until such time as we have proper justice and value on human life and lock killer drivers up for a long time and at the very least ban them from driving for life (the victim doesn't get a second chance at life, why should the killer get one), this will continue unchecked. Like others, I do hope that he pulls through and makes a full recovery, although losing your son in that way will not be something he ever gets over sadly. house on the hill
  • Score: 0

7:28pm Mon 2 Jun 14

silvergran says...

I find it scary at the traffic lights when they change from red and someone whizzes past at high speed in the little right hand lane just as you start off and they then have to quickly get in front of the line of traffic. I would love to see those lanes done away with.
I find it scary at the traffic lights when they change from red and someone whizzes past at high speed in the little right hand lane just as you start off and they then have to quickly get in front of the line of traffic. I would love to see those lanes done away with. silvergran
  • Score: -4

8:36pm Mon 2 Jun 14

LordAshOfTheBrake says...

It is time for a zero tolerance approach to dangerous driving. Perhaps now the police will start to do something about the poor driving that is observable at all times of day on Thamesdown Drive.

Hopefully Peter Winters individual makes a complete recovery.
It is time for a zero tolerance approach to dangerous driving. Perhaps now the police will start to do something about the poor driving that is observable at all times of day on Thamesdown Drive. Hopefully Peter Winters individual makes a complete recovery. LordAshOfTheBrake
  • Score: 0

9:41am Tue 3 Jun 14

Mukkin says...

Like everyone has said, I hope the gentleman makes a full recovery, although the mental scares will be tough, I regularly drive to the outskirts of London, I've never been a speed merchant, however, driving around the M25 and the M4 past Reading towards London the driving standards and aggression get far worse than anything I have experienced in Wiltshire, literally people use their cars as weapons, deliberate acts of intimidation.
I've seen incidents of road rage on a daily basis, I hardly ever see a traffic cop, just Micky Mouse Traffic Officers, your motorway Pcso's sitting on the verge where you once saw a Police car, it pains me to say it, however, I think things will get a lot worse before it gets better, one only has to look on Youtube to see some of the examples of road rage in the States to see what's coming our way.
Like everyone has said, I hope the gentleman makes a full recovery, although the mental scares will be tough, I regularly drive to the outskirts of London, I've never been a speed merchant, however, driving around the M25 and the M4 past Reading towards London the driving standards and aggression get far worse than anything I have experienced in Wiltshire, literally people use their cars as weapons, deliberate acts of intimidation. I've seen incidents of road rage on a daily basis, I hardly ever see a traffic cop, just Micky Mouse Traffic Officers, your motorway Pcso's sitting on the verge where you once saw a Police car, it pains me to say it, however, I think things will get a lot worse before it gets better, one only has to look on Youtube to see some of the examples of road rage in the States to see what's coming our way. Mukkin
  • Score: 0

10:14am Tue 3 Jun 14

benzss says...

Hate to break it to you all, but the UK has among the safest roads in the world.
Hate to break it to you all, but the UK has among the safest roads in the world. benzss
  • Score: 0

10:41am Tue 3 Jun 14

LordAshOfTheBrake says...

benzss wrote:
Hate to break it to you all, but the UK has among the safest roads in the world.
I hate to break it to you, but that says more about how bad other countries are than how good driving is in this country.

I guess it also depends on the definition of safest....! i.e. number of accidents, number of fatal accidents, cost of insurance claims, number of prosecutions for driving offenses and so on....
[quote][p][bold]benzss[/bold] wrote: Hate to break it to you all, but the UK has among the safest roads in the world.[/p][/quote]I hate to break it to you, but that says more about how bad other countries are than how good driving is in this country. I guess it also depends on the definition of safest....! i.e. number of accidents, number of fatal accidents, cost of insurance claims, number of prosecutions for driving offenses and so on.... LordAshOfTheBrake
  • Score: -1

5:02pm Tue 3 Jun 14

Mukkin says...

benzss wrote:
Hate to break it to you all, but the UK has among the safest roads in the world.
Well that may be the case, I don't have the details facts or figures, however, my point was more about aggressive driving and no matter what way you spin it, it's getting worse!
[quote][p][bold]benzss[/bold] wrote: Hate to break it to you all, but the UK has among the safest roads in the world.[/p][/quote]Well that may be the case, I don't have the details facts or figures, however, my point was more about aggressive driving and no matter what way you spin it, it's getting worse! Mukkin
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree