Swindon AdvertiserFresh start at school after head's departure (From Swindon Advertiser)

Get involved! Send photos, video, news & views. Text SWINDON NEWS to 80360 or email us

Fresh start at school after head's departure

Swindon Advertiser: Rachael Mattey Rachael Mattey

NORTH Swindon MP Justin Tomlinson has hailed the departure of Isambard Community School headteacher Rachael Mattey as a fresh start for the school.

The 54-year-old, who took over at the Redhouse school eight years ago, took a swipe at the coalition Government’s education reforms, spearheaded by Michael Gove MP, as she announced her retirement.

Responding to her claims they would send the school system ‘back to the 1970s’, the Tory MP hit back claiming the changes were greatly needed.

He said: “Education reform is absolutely essential to equip all young people with the relevant life skills to have a successful career.

“A number of local parents have repeatedly raised concerns about the direction of Isambard School and I think they will welcome a fresh start for a school that is so crucial to North Swindon,” he said.

Among Mr Gove’s education overhaul is a revised National Curriculum based on research on international systems such as Hong Kong, Massachusetts, Singapore and Finland, a new approach to qualifications for secondary school students and a stringent Ofsted inspection regime.

In Thursday’s Adver Mrs Mattey, who was invited to a garden party at Buckingham Palace on Tuesday for her services to education, said: “I fundamentally disagree with the changes being made by the Government, I don’t want to be part of it.

“I disagree with Ofsted’s one-size-fits-all model for inspections and looking at the National Curriculum changes it’s similar to what I was doing in the 1970s.

“I cannot see how it can prepare anybody for 21st century life. It’s going backwards.”

School governor Kevin Gray said Mrs Mattey, who told staff of her decision on Monday, had taken the school as far as she could. It was time for a change.

He said: “She certainly was not pushed.

“For some time she has been thinking what her next move might be.

“She started the school and brought it through its first phase. For any headteacher naturally there is an end to the process and Rachael is someone that goes out and inspires – she grows things but she is not a maintainer. I think a lot of educationalists do not like the way the Conservatives are running the education system.

“They say they are not cutting funding per pupil but they have cut other sources of funding including capital and ICT. Schools are struggling financially.

“There is a fixed process of recruiting a headteacher and it is a decision for the whole governing body. We are looking to meet before the end of the school year and will announce the date as soons as we can.

“We will be as open and transparent as we are allowed to be. Isambard has been criticised, not unfairly, in the past, for an inabiltiy to communicate and we want to change that.”

Mrs Mattey will continue to run the day-to-day operations of the school until the summer break while the senior leadership team, her assistant and deputy heads, will be responsible for strategic direction.

Comments (16)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:10am Sat 7 Jun 14

Always Grumpy says...

This woman represents everything that is wrong with today's education system.
This woman represents everything that is wrong with today's education system. Always Grumpy
  • Score: 17

12:51pm Sat 7 Jun 14

mikesgta says...

More tory meddling in the school system the sooner we have a general election and get this unelected lot out the better. Maybe they could just sell off all the schools like they have done with the rest of the country, then again they probably have and I just didn't see it.
More tory meddling in the school system the sooner we have a general election and get this unelected lot out the better. Maybe they could just sell off all the schools like they have done with the rest of the country, then again they probably have and I just didn't see it. mikesgta
  • Score: -9

2:01pm Sat 7 Jun 14

Robh says...

she was educated in the 70's which was the early days of the comprehensive system which most agree was turmoil and a complete shambles. It would seem the government want to almost go back to the 60's but not with the 11+.
she was educated in the 70's which was the early days of the comprehensive system which most agree was turmoil and a complete shambles. It would seem the government want to almost go back to the 60's but not with the 11+. Robh
  • Score: 9

5:09pm Sat 7 Jun 14

Hmmmf says...

She was educated in the 70s. If she really is claiming anyone over 40 is ill-equipped to deal with life in the 21st century then good riddance to the militant loon.
Technology may have advanced, but the fundamental requirements of education haven't; reading, writing, and arithmetic are as vital today as they ever were, yet in last year's OECD report young adults in England scored among the lowest results in the industrialised world in international literacy and numeracy tests. And that's nothing to do with Gove, the Tories, or the 70s.
She was educated in the 70s. If she really is claiming anyone over 40 is ill-equipped to deal with life in the 21st century then good riddance to the militant loon. Technology may have advanced, but the fundamental requirements of education haven't; reading, writing, and arithmetic are as vital today as they ever were, yet in last year's OECD report young adults in England scored among the lowest results in the industrialised world in international literacy and numeracy tests. And that's nothing to do with Gove, the Tories, or the 70s. Hmmmf
  • Score: 13

7:30pm Sat 7 Jun 14

Davey Gravey says...

The usual know **** alls casting judgement on those with many years experience.
Not only the idiots who comment on here but the Tory turd polisher of spin. Tomlinson too.
The usual know **** alls casting judgement on those with many years experience. Not only the idiots who comment on here but the Tory turd polisher of spin. Tomlinson too. Davey Gravey
  • Score: -5

7:38pm Sat 7 Jun 14

express_a_view says...

Why are people in this room so often vitriolic or dismissive merely because they differ with someone? Always Grumpy you may disagree with the comments but your write off of a thirty year career in education seems over the top. Hmmmmf because someone sees things differently to you does not de facto make them a "militant loon."
Why are people in this room so often vitriolic or dismissive merely because they differ with someone? Always Grumpy you may disagree with the comments but your write off of a thirty year career in education seems over the top. Hmmmmf because someone sees things differently to you does not de facto make them a "militant loon." express_a_view
  • Score: -2

8:10pm Sat 7 Jun 14

timt1964 says...

shes right! michael gove is a clueless pompous twit who is out of touch with reality.
shes right! michael gove is a clueless pompous twit who is out of touch with reality. timt1964
  • Score: 6

8:48pm Sat 7 Jun 14

Always Grumpy says...

Davey Gravey wrote:
The usual know **** alls casting judgement on those with many years experience.
Not only the idiots who comment on here but the Tory turd polisher of spin. Tomlinson too.
So people who give opinions that differ from yours are idiots then?

That sort of language does seem to say more about you than the people you disagree with.
[quote][p][bold]Davey Gravey[/bold] wrote: The usual know **** alls casting judgement on those with many years experience. Not only the idiots who comment on here but the Tory turd polisher of spin. Tomlinson too.[/p][/quote]So people who give opinions that differ from yours are idiots then? That sort of language does seem to say more about you than the people you disagree with. Always Grumpy
  • Score: 12

9:19pm Sat 7 Jun 14

Robh says...

Always Grumpy wrote:
Davey Gravey wrote:
The usual know **** alls casting judgement on those with many years experience.
Not only the idiots who comment on here but the Tory turd polisher of spin. Tomlinson too.
So people who give opinions that differ from yours are idiots then?

That sort of language does seem to say more about you than the people you disagree with.
Agree totally. Using bad language does not win arguments especially by those who don't put forward any argument just abuse.
[quote][p][bold]Always Grumpy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Davey Gravey[/bold] wrote: The usual know **** alls casting judgement on those with many years experience. Not only the idiots who comment on here but the Tory turd polisher of spin. Tomlinson too.[/p][/quote]So people who give opinions that differ from yours are idiots then? That sort of language does seem to say more about you than the people you disagree with.[/p][/quote]Agree totally. Using bad language does not win arguments especially by those who don't put forward any argument just abuse. Robh
  • Score: 14

11:27pm Sat 7 Jun 14

Zero0 says...

With our decline in the global education stakes, Ms Mattey has obviously been part of the problem, with her wish to maintain the ineffective education policies of the last 25 years, as extolled by the NUT
With our decline in the global education stakes, Ms Mattey has obviously been part of the problem, with her wish to maintain the ineffective education policies of the last 25 years, as extolled by the NUT Zero0
  • Score: 12

9:49am Sun 8 Jun 14

ChannelX says...

Always Grumpy wrote:
Davey Gravey wrote:
The usual know **** alls casting judgement on those with many years experience.
Not only the idiots who comment on here but the Tory turd polisher of spin. Tomlinson too.
So people who give opinions that differ from yours are idiots then?

That sort of language does seem to say more about you than the people you disagree with.
Mr Gravey is always quick with the insults against anyone who doesn't share his warped Left-wing view of the world.

He's just a typical, unthinking 'Tory toff' hater and largely to be ignored.

He'll keep banging on about 'voting out the Tories' while everyone else quietly gets on with voting them in.
[quote][p][bold]Always Grumpy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Davey Gravey[/bold] wrote: The usual know **** alls casting judgement on those with many years experience. Not only the idiots who comment on here but the Tory turd polisher of spin. Tomlinson too.[/p][/quote]So people who give opinions that differ from yours are idiots then? That sort of language does seem to say more about you than the people you disagree with.[/p][/quote]Mr Gravey is always quick with the insults against anyone who doesn't share his warped Left-wing view of the world. He's just a typical, unthinking 'Tory toff' hater and largely to be ignored. He'll keep banging on about 'voting out the Tories' while everyone else quietly gets on with voting them in. ChannelX
  • Score: 1

9:59am Sun 8 Jun 14

AndrewWilkins says...

It is interesting to hear Justin Tomlinson's comments here. For here is a man that put all his faith behind New College team to bid for the new North Swindon school. A team that after months of campaigning to get evidence of demand failed to produce a single signature in support of its sixth form and only a paltry number in support of the secondary school. http://antiacademies
.org.uk/2014/06/swin
don-school-places-bu
ngle/
It is interesting to hear Justin Tomlinson's comments here. For here is a man that put all his faith behind New College team to bid for the new North Swindon school. A team that after months of campaigning to get evidence of demand failed to produce a single signature in support of its sixth form and only a paltry number in support of the secondary school. http://antiacademies .org.uk/2014/06/swin don-school-places-bu ngle/ AndrewWilkins
  • Score: -4

11:34am Sun 8 Jun 14

Davey Gravey says...

CHANNELx posts and the thumbs go crazy. Blatant.
For someone who says I should be ignored he replies to nearly every post I make and ensures he gives me plenty of thumbs down in the process. Oddball
CHANNELx posts and the thumbs go crazy. Blatant. For someone who says I should be ignored he replies to nearly every post I make and ensures he gives me plenty of thumbs down in the process. Oddball Davey Gravey
  • Score: -10

6:15pm Sun 8 Jun 14

candid friend says...

Rabid tories creating chaos in education with a rag bag of ill thought out policies.
Same thing in theNHS. Where will it all end.?
Labour are inherently incompetent.
Rabid tories creating chaos in education with a rag bag of ill thought out policies. Same thing in theNHS. Where will it all end.? Labour are inherently incompetent. candid friend
  • Score: -4

11:23am Mon 9 Jun 14

The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man says...

AndrewWilkins wrote:
It is interesting to hear Justin Tomlinson's comments here. For here is a man that put all his faith behind New College team to bid for the new North Swindon school. A team that after months of campaigning to get evidence of demand failed to produce a single signature in support of its sixth form and only a paltry number in support of the secondary school. http://antiacademies

.org.uk/2014/06/swin

don-school-places-bu

ngle/
I think your comment is incorrect. They most certainly had at least one signature in support of both the secondary school and the sixth form.
[quote][p][bold]AndrewWilkins[/bold] wrote: It is interesting to hear Justin Tomlinson's comments here. For here is a man that put all his faith behind New College team to bid for the new North Swindon school. A team that after months of campaigning to get evidence of demand failed to produce a single signature in support of its sixth form and only a paltry number in support of the secondary school. http://antiacademies .org.uk/2014/06/swin don-school-places-bu ngle/[/p][/quote]I think your comment is incorrect. They most certainly had at least one signature in support of both the secondary school and the sixth form. The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man
  • Score: 2

2:11pm Mon 9 Jun 14

AndrewWilkins says...

The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man wrote:
AndrewWilkins wrote:
It is interesting to hear Justin Tomlinson's comments here. For here is a man that put all his faith behind New College team to bid for the new North Swindon school. A team that after months of campaigning to get evidence of demand failed to produce a single signature in support of its sixth form and only a paltry number in support of the secondary school. http://antiacademies


.org.uk/2014/06/swin


don-school-places-bu


ngle/
I think your comment is incorrect. They most certainly had at least one signature in support of both the secondary school and the sixth form.
They had over 150 signatures of support. Unfortunately only a few of these representing 59 children could count as evidence of demand for the secondary school and there was not one that counted as evidence of demand for the sixth form as these needed to come from the students themselves (not parents). They had no signatures from students as they hadn't collected any. Despite the fact that they should have known about all this at the start of the campaign in January if they'd have read the guidance freely available from the New Schools Network. They say they need signatures representing 750 children. Please read my article. It is correct except the September submission date which should be October.
[quote][p][bold]The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]AndrewWilkins[/bold] wrote: It is interesting to hear Justin Tomlinson's comments here. For here is a man that put all his faith behind New College team to bid for the new North Swindon school. A team that after months of campaigning to get evidence of demand failed to produce a single signature in support of its sixth form and only a paltry number in support of the secondary school. http://antiacademies .org.uk/2014/06/swin don-school-places-bu ngle/[/p][/quote]I think your comment is incorrect. They most certainly had at least one signature in support of both the secondary school and the sixth form.[/p][/quote]They had over 150 signatures of support. Unfortunately only a few of these representing 59 children could count as evidence of demand for the secondary school and there was not one that counted as evidence of demand for the sixth form as these needed to come from the students themselves (not parents). They had no signatures from students as they hadn't collected any. Despite the fact that they should have known about all this at the start of the campaign in January if they'd have read the guidance freely available from the New Schools Network. They say they need signatures representing 750 children. Please read my article. It is correct except the September submission date which should be October. AndrewWilkins
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree