WILTSHIRE Fire and Rescue Service is warning people to take care when enjoying a barbecue this summer.
So far this year, the service has already dealt with nine incidents involving barbecues, mainly involving gas cylinders.
There has also been one fire that started in a wheelie bin after hot coals were thrown away, and two where disposable barbecues had been discarded while still hot.
Group manager Kathy Collis said: “Cooking and entertaining outdoors is one of the great joys of summer, but things can go very wrong very quickly if you don’t take care. When you’re at home, it’s easier to put precautions in place, but we also want to remind people of the risks of using barbecues when out in the countryside, so that they can stay safe.”
The service has issued a number of tips when using a barbecue, such as always position it on a level site, away from wooden fencing, sheds and hedges, don’t place it on dry grass or vegetation, and use firelighters or barbecue fuel to light the coals, not petrol or paraffin.
- For more advice, visit wiltsfire.gov.uk/yoursafety