Market manager Kardien Gerbrands talks about Swindon farmers' markets
HOORAY, the spring has arrived! Asparagus tips are showing above ground and the early tomatoes are starting to ripen, rhubarb is bursting forth and the new potatoes in the polytunnels won’t be more than a few weeks now.
At last Sunday’s market we had a massive showing of tulips from Cheltenham as Julian Harvard was desperate to sell; once they start to open you can’t stop them, and the sunshine forecast for this week meant he knew he couldn’t leave them another week!
Styan’s Family produce were back at the market too. Although their official return date wasn’t until the Sunday after Easter they stepped in because Paget’s Produce, whose crops are all field grown (no poly-tunnels) and are experiencing a “hungry gap” when there is very little ready to harvest.
Amazing really; two weeks ago there was a massive glut of cauliflower and purple sprouting but these crops have such a short life; you can’t leave them to carry on growing as they will “go to seed” and spoil so, again because of the warm weather, they are all gone in a big rush.
On the hot food front we’ve lost the paella stall but have gained the Swindon based Momo King (Nepalese dumplings filled with local meats and vegetables) and Funky Frites selling gourmet fries served with an amazing selection of handmade sauces. We also have Auntie Caroline’s and new stall Tuga Pastries from Swindon who make Portuguese egg tarts. Visit us from 10am to 4pm on Sunday.
- Bradford on Avon, third Thursday, 9am to 1pm at Westbury Gardens, BA15 1DE.
- Bradford on Avon, last Sunday, 10.30am to 2.30pm at Lamb Yard, BA15 1FG.
- Calne, second Saturday, 9am to 1pm, near the library, SN11 0JU.
- Corsham, third Saturday, 9am to 1pm, High Street SN13 0HB.
- Devizes, first Saturday, 9am to 1pm, Market Place
- Malmesbury, second and fourth Saturdays, 9am to 1pm,
- Market Cross Royal Wootton Bassett, fourth Saturday, 9am to 1pm, High Street.
- Salisbury, weekly on Wednesdays, 9am to 2pm, Poultry Cross.
- Swindon Farmers’ Market, every Sunday, 10am to 4pm,
- Swindon Designer Outlet, Kemble Drive, SN2 2DY.
- Trowbridge, second and fourth Friday, 9am to 1pm, Fore Street, BA14 8HX.
- Wanborough, third Saturday, 9am to midday, Wanborough Village Hall.
- Warminster, first and third Fridays, 9am to 1pm, central car park, BA 12 9BT