SMOKE filled the air over Cricklade after a huge fire broke out at an industrial park.

Four teams of firefighters from stations across Swindon tackled the blaze at the Chelworth Industrial Estate, which affected property believed to be owned by used car and van dealership Austen Trading.

The pillar of smoke could be seen as far as Old Town in Swindon, and residents closer to the fire described their reactions to seeing the blaze was just a few fields away.

Louise Kelly-Ramaer, of Pond House, Cricklade, filmed the fire from her back garden.

She said: “It was huge, toxic, evil-looking smoke. I’ve never seen anything like it.

“It seemed to go on and on for hours. I was shocked, it didn’t look like a normal fire.

“Luckily the wind was blowing away from the house or it would have choked us and our horses.

“I rang the fire brigade, they said they’d already had people calling about it and were on the way.”

Firefighters received the first of eight calls at 6.41pm.

A spokesperson for the fire service said: “Initially one fire engine was mobilised from Cricklade and one from Stratton.

“Once in attendance the crew requested a further two fire engines, which proceeded from Swindon and Stratton fire stations, and a water carrier, which proceeded from Royal Wootton Bassett.

“The fire involved pickup truck bodies and an insulated refrigeration truck body.

“The fire was extinguished using two main jets, along with a thermal imaging camera and drags.”

Christina Gleed, owner of Chelworth Farm Nursery, said: “You couldn’t miss it.

“There were big black plumes of smoke flowing up into the sky.

“I did worry that it might get out of hand but once the fire brigade arrived, they were on the ball.

“I have a couple of horses. They weren’t frightened by the fire - they just watched - but they did look a bit concerned.”

It is not yet clear what caused the incident.

Normal business was quickly resumed at the site, with a few charred remains the only indication yesterday that such a large fire had occurred there less than a day earlier.

The manager of Austen Trading was not available for comment.