Get involved! Send photos, video, news & views. Text SWINDON NEWS to 80360 or email us
Freddie Starr performance to go ahead in November
10:10am Monday 8th October 2012 in News
FREDDIE Starr’s Wyvern Theatre show will go ahead despite claims that he groped a 14-year-old girl.
The 69-year-old comedian vehemently denies a claim that he groped a girl at a party in Jimmy Savile’s dressing room in the 1970s.
He is due to perform in Swindon on Wednesday, November 7, and Wyvern director Derek Aldridge said the show would go ahead.
He said: “The Wyvern Theatre booked the performance of Freddie Starr in March 2012.
“We have been aware of allegations made regarding him this week but have also read his complete denial of these allegations.
“We will continue to monitor the situation but as things stand the show on November 7 will be going ahead. Several hundred tickets have already been sold and the theatre has received no contact from customers about this situation.”
It is has been alleged that Mr Starr was at a party with Gary Glitter and Jimmy Savile when the incident took place. The star won a temporary gagging order over the claims last week but a judge refused to continue it at a High Court hearing on Thursday.
Mr Starr says he has never heard of the woman making the claims and that he is being falsely linked to the sex scandal surrounding Savile.
The Wyvern Theatre is promoting tickets for his show on its website.
It says: “The madcap legend that is Freddie Starr is back from Australia and will be thrilling new audiences during the Spring and Autumn of 2012 with his ‘Back from the Jungle Tour’, as he takes his hilarious new show to some of his well-loved theatres.”