We’re not sold on car auction plans

First published in News

CONTROVERSIAL plans to turn an area of Wroughton Airfield into a car auction site have been rebuffed following concerns raised by residents and councillors.

Under the bid by Alan Read, the tenant and leaseholder of the site, the former Hangar C2 and its grounds would be used for car auctions, with selling days for the public taking place every Wednesday with the possibility of 120 cars on sale at one time.

During auction days, the existing indoor leisure karting activity would be suspended.

Swindon Council received 40 objections during the formal public consultation, with Wroughton Parish Council objecting on the grounds of highway safety and traffic due to poor access to the site, and residents objecting to the plans over fears of traffic, light pollution and its impact on the Area Of Natural Beauty (AONB).

Tonight, officers will recommend the bid’s refusal to the council’s planning committee on the basis it would “have a harmful and intrusive impact on the particular natural beauty of this area”.

In her report, case officer Janet Busby writes: “The proposal would introduce a new use into the North Wessex Downs AONB which is unconnected with the current lawful use of the premises.

“As a consequence, the proposal does not comply with the Government’s guidance as set out in the National Planning Policy Framework and with local plan policies relating to the protection of the countryside.”

John Newman, the chairman of Wroughton Parish Council’s planning committee, said he had expected a refusal recommendation, adding that the plan would see an unacceptable increase in vehicles on Priors Hill due to the standard of the private former MOD road.

He said: “We said in our official comment to borough officers, ‘in the unlikely event’ officers would wish to recommend to the planning committee acceptance of this, we would want it to go before the planning committee so it could be had out in public.

“There’s absolutely no basis for accepting this at all. The transport access would just be ridiculous because their claimed access is the MOD road which isn’t fit for borough transport – buses – at the moment and certainly wouldn’t be fit for transporters.”

In a design and access statement submitted to the council by Gary Llewellyn, on behalf of Mr Read, he said the applicant acknowledged that the development may cause concern but is confident that it would be well managed.

He added: “The application site is ideally suited and located for the submitted proposal in that it includes an existing large building and other facilities, in the form of car parking, cafe and toilets, which means that it can offer significant economies of scale.”

Comments (51)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:20am Tue 9 Oct 12

swindondad says...

Peoples attitude to development the planning rules in this country are so harsh it is a wonder that anything gets built anywhere.
I could have some sympathy with objectors if this was a "Greenfield" site but it is an existing hanger on an airfield.
I had thought that they would have been happy.
Peoples attitude to development the planning rules in this country are so harsh it is a wonder that anything gets built anywhere. I could have some sympathy with objectors if this was a "Greenfield" site but it is an existing hanger on an airfield. I had thought that they would have been happy. swindondad
  • Score: 0

11:38am Tue 9 Oct 12

Coolhandkeith says...

You don't need to use priors hill to get to this site you can use brimble hill or the main road from chiseldon how do you think the lorries and transporters got to the site when it was a naval air base this is just a case of the nimbys doin their best to suppress another new business trying to get established the airfield is so run down lets let someone breath a new lease of life to it
You don't need to use priors hill to get to this site you can use brimble hill or the main road from chiseldon how do you think the lorries and transporters got to the site when it was a naval air base this is just a case of the nimbys doin their best to suppress another new business trying to get established the airfield is so run down lets let someone breath a new lease of life to it Coolhandkeith
  • Score: 0

11:50am Tue 9 Oct 12

Davey Gravey says...

Being it on. Prefect location
Being it on. Prefect location Davey Gravey
  • Score: 0

12:04pm Tue 9 Oct 12

aturner289 says...

This means the transporters would have to use the old MOD road near thorny park and Alexandra park, there is always lorry's up and down there all the time anyway, the HGV driving test lorry's for example and a removals company that use a hanger on the site i am all for it, just all the hooray Henrys at Alexandra park would object to it.
This means the transporters would have to use the old MOD road near thorny park and Alexandra park, there is always lorry's up and down there all the time anyway, the HGV driving test lorry's for example and a removals company that use a hanger on the site i am all for it, just all the hooray Henrys at Alexandra park would object to it. aturner289
  • Score: 0

12:45pm Tue 9 Oct 12

jimmys lovechild says...

Do car auctions go on 24hrs a day 7 days a week . Its amazing how before someone as put forward a proposal there is an objection. Once a week or a fortnight and suddenly there is access concerns and extra traffic . Typical Swindon nimby attitude to things yet we moan the town as nothing not surprising companies don't bother with developing the town
Do car auctions go on 24hrs a day 7 days a week . Its amazing how before someone as put forward a proposal there is an objection. Once a week or a fortnight and suddenly there is access concerns and extra traffic . Typical Swindon nimby attitude to things yet we moan the town as nothing not surprising companies don't bother with developing the town jimmys lovechild
  • Score: 0

1:50pm Tue 9 Oct 12

I 2 Could B says...

On the face of it, this decision does seem very strange. The 'impact' of this small once a week car auction would be minor, at most. It's mid-week and would not attract big numbers at all.

The planning department and committee routinely wave through far more devastating applications with barely a first, let alone second, thought.

This decision has, I would suspect, been made with some 'leaning' being done from some quarters.
On the face of it, this decision does seem very strange. The 'impact' of this small once a week car auction would be minor, at most. It's mid-week and would not attract big numbers at all. [p] The planning department and committee routinely wave through far more devastating applications with barely a first, let alone second, thought. [p] This decision has, I would suspect, been made with some 'leaning' being done from some quarters. I 2 Could B
  • Score: 0

1:54pm Tue 9 Oct 12

TakeTheMick says...

What a surprise. Even before a meeting takes places it's all set for refusal. I have always said that Swindon is not open for new business and this just proves it. The council are up in arms about wanting companies to employ people and this would create employment surely but obviously that's not what they want unless it's a BIG company coming in but NO big companies coming to swindon these days.
What a surprise. Even before a meeting takes places it's all set for refusal. I have always said that Swindon is not open for new business and this just proves it. The council are up in arms about wanting companies to employ people and this would create employment surely but obviously that's not what they want unless it's a BIG company coming in but NO big companies coming to swindon these days. TakeTheMick
  • Score: 0

4:25pm Tue 9 Oct 12

wildstyle says...

As a resident of Wroughton I am delighted with this decision. Sat Navs would inevitably lead cars to travel up Priors Hill and this is extremely dangerous as a large part of the hill is too narrow with no pavement and poor lighting. It was, until a few years ago, a no through road and for very good reason.
As a resident of Wroughton I am delighted with this decision. Sat Navs would inevitably lead cars to travel up Priors Hill and this is extremely dangerous as a large part of the hill is too narrow with no pavement and poor lighting. It was, until a few years ago, a no through road and for very good reason. wildstyle
  • Score: 0

4:25pm Tue 9 Oct 12

wildstyle says...

As a resident of Wroughton I am delighted with this decision. Sat Navs would inevitably lead cars to travel up Priors Hill and this is extremely dangerous as a large part of the hill is too narrow with no pavement and poor lighting. It was, until a few years ago, a no through road and for very good reason.
As a resident of Wroughton I am delighted with this decision. Sat Navs would inevitably lead cars to travel up Priors Hill and this is extremely dangerous as a large part of the hill is too narrow with no pavement and poor lighting. It was, until a few years ago, a no through road and for very good reason. wildstyle
  • Score: 0

4:25pm Tue 9 Oct 12

wildstyle says...

As a resident of Wroughton I am delighted with this decision. Sat Navs would inevitably lead cars to travel up Priors Hill and this is extremely dangerous as a large part of the hill is too narrow with no pavement and poor lighting. It was, until a few years ago, a no through road and for very good reason.
As a resident of Wroughton I am delighted with this decision. Sat Navs would inevitably lead cars to travel up Priors Hill and this is extremely dangerous as a large part of the hill is too narrow with no pavement and poor lighting. It was, until a few years ago, a no through road and for very good reason. wildstyle
  • Score: 0

4:33pm Tue 9 Oct 12

TakeTheMick says...

Sat nav will only bring you up priors hill if you put a post code in for that area. The original post code will take people to the science museum. This is the trouble with people these days don't like change.
Sat nav will only bring you up priors hill if you put a post code in for that area. The original post code will take people to the science museum. This is the trouble with people these days don't like change. TakeTheMick
  • Score: 0

4:39pm Tue 9 Oct 12

wildstyle says...

I love the right type of change Mick! I also like safety and thought through decisions. I am afraid that the BIG increase in traffic on Priors Hill already is because people take the alternative route on their sat nav. If you look at Priors Hill you would see what I mean.
I love the right type of change Mick! I also like safety and thought through decisions. I am afraid that the BIG increase in traffic on Priors Hill already is because people take the alternative route on their sat nav. If you look at Priors Hill you would see what I mean. wildstyle
  • Score: 0

5:20pm Tue 9 Oct 12

RichardR1 says...

Isn't this the same site that Honda were allowed to use after the same objections.

I suspect this would be once again won on appeal the precedent already having been set.
Isn't this the same site that Honda were allowed to use after the same objections. I suspect this would be once again won on appeal the precedent already having been set. RichardR1
  • Score: 0

5:44pm Tue 9 Oct 12

1 2 Could B says...

Is it?
Is it? 1 2 Could B
  • Score: 0

6:27pm Tue 9 Oct 12

villageoldman says...

With the Science Museum losing interest with their free gift, would like to see any employment in this area. If it brings a few jobs its got to be better than more houses..We did have car shows , air shows, racing , all stopped by the few.
With the Science Museum losing interest with their free gift, would like to see any employment in this area. If it brings a few jobs its got to be better than more houses..We did have car shows , air shows, racing , all stopped by the few. villageoldman
  • Score: 0

6:44pm Tue 9 Oct 12

itsamess3 says...

Besides the fact Honda stored vehicles-rather than auction them--its a world of difference.
As Swindon is dominated by car dealers and car--so say superstores-this could bring valuable revenue to Swindon and reduce the cars sild here--win win.
Besides the fact Honda stored vehicles-rather than auction them--its a world of difference. As Swindon is dominated by car dealers and car--so say superstores-this could bring valuable revenue to Swindon and reduce the cars sild here--win win. itsamess3
  • Score: 0

6:54pm Tue 9 Oct 12

itsamess3 says...

Should have been--car prices sold here.
Should have been--car prices sold here. itsamess3
  • Score: 0

7:30pm Tue 9 Oct 12

RichardR1 says...

Obviously excited Mr Itsamess, must be the first time for a couple of weeks for you to try and split hairs and cause a row.

The cars Honda put there remained there in their thousands the auctioned cars will be shipped in and shipped out.

As I understand it individuals will be able to go there and sell, so I doubt it will be loads of transporters.

1 2 I'm sure you've probably got an aerial shot of it, even if it's someone else's.
Obviously excited Mr Itsamess, must be the first time for a couple of weeks for you to try and split hairs and cause a row. The cars Honda put there remained there in their thousands the auctioned cars will be shipped in and shipped out. As I understand it individuals will be able to go there and sell, so I doubt it will be loads of transporters. 1 2 I'm sure you've probably got an aerial shot of it, even if it's someone else's. RichardR1
  • Score: 0

7:38pm Tue 9 Oct 12

itsamess3 says...

Bob
Grow up and stick to the posts--facts are facts and personal abuse is not welcome--grow up--or is that beyond you?
Bob Grow up and stick to the posts--facts are facts and personal abuse is not welcome--grow up--or is that beyond you? itsamess3
  • Score: 0

7:50pm Tue 9 Oct 12

Oik1 says...

"light pollution and its impact on the Area Of Natural Beauty (AONB)."

And there was me thinking it was Wroughton airfield they were talking about, oh hang on, you mean it is!!!!
A car auction once a week and mid-week at that to sell approx 120 vehicles, oh my, the end of the world is in sight if it goes ahead.
I can't think of a better place for such a venture, let common sense rule and let it go ahead for 1 year with a review after the first 6 months, then make a permanent call.
"light pollution and its impact on the Area Of Natural Beauty (AONB)." And there was me thinking it was Wroughton airfield they were talking about, oh hang on, you mean it is!!!! A car auction once a week and mid-week at that to sell approx 120 vehicles, oh my, the end of the world is in sight if it goes ahead. I can't think of a better place for such a venture, let common sense rule and let it go ahead for 1 year with a review after the first 6 months, then make a permanent call. Oik1
  • Score: 0

7:53pm Tue 9 Oct 12

itsamess3 says...

Oik1
Very astute comment.
Oik1 Very astute comment. itsamess3
  • Score: 0

9:09pm Tue 9 Oct 12

timt1964 says...

i think they should use the airfield as an airfield again,wroughton is just one of those annoying village nimby places.maybe they could start car racing around the airfield? about time swindon was famous for more than idiots who cant sing on x factor.
i think they should use the airfield as an airfield again,wroughton is just one of those annoying village nimby places.maybe they could start car racing around the airfield? about time swindon was famous for more than idiots who cant sing on x factor. timt1964
  • Score: 0

9:28pm Tue 9 Oct 12

JohnsyG says...

The Prior's Hill concern stems from the company's stated unwillingness to use the more obvious MOD road ,as it's in a state of disrepair (perhaps the owner would like to contribute to the upkeep?).
We used to have well-supported motorcycle racing, air shows, and Science Museum open days on that site, so it's a little unfair to brand all Wroughtonians as NIMBYs
It's worth taking the trouble to read the actual application, then we wouldn't need to speculate about tranporters or not, frequency of auctions etc.
The Prior's Hill concern stems from the company's stated unwillingness to use the more obvious MOD road ,as it's in a state of disrepair (perhaps the owner would like to contribute to the upkeep?). We used to have well-supported motorcycle racing, air shows, and Science Museum open days on that site, so it's a little unfair to brand all Wroughtonians as NIMBYs It's worth taking the trouble to read the actual application, then we wouldn't need to speculate about tranporters or not, frequency of auctions etc. JohnsyG
  • Score: 0

9:31pm Tue 9 Oct 12

TakeTheMick says...

Oh well. Just to let you all know that the nimby's got their wishes. No car auctions to be held unless the applicant takes it to appeal. The council all refused it on AONB. Where is that in wroughton.
Oh well. Just to let you all know that the nimby's got their wishes. No car auctions to be held unless the applicant takes it to appeal. The council all refused it on AONB. Where is that in wroughton. TakeTheMick
  • Score: 0

9:40pm Tue 9 Oct 12

itsamess3 says...

Considering the history of the area and the events staged there over many years--this decision is totally ridiculous.
Considering the history of the area and the events staged there over many years--this decision is totally ridiculous. itsamess3
  • Score: 0

9:48pm Tue 9 Oct 12

Jay_R! says...

What a joke! Area of natural beauty......Really?
What a joke! Area of natural beauty......Really? Jay_R!
  • Score: 0

11:13pm Tue 9 Oct 12

Synergie says...

The applicant should take this to appeal. There are currently two companies operating on the airfield offering logistics, wharehousing and house removals. The lorries operated by these businesses appear to be using the main entrance off the Devizes to Swindon road, a short drive around the perri track would bring visitors to C2.
.
Swindon Karting, also owned by the applicant, place a great deal of emphasis on their website NOT to use Priors Hill to access the Action Dome so as not to upset the residents.
.
As has already been stated, Wroughton Airfield was a brilliant place to visit for Para-Gliding, Classic car shows, The science innovation show and of course the Science Museum open days....and never more than a fiver-per-car entry fee. The Science Museum security staff were always cheerful and helpful. All of this has now stopped, the work of Priors Hill residents perchance?
.
The applicant should take this to appeal. There are currently two companies operating on the airfield offering logistics, wharehousing and house removals. The lorries operated by these businesses appear to be using the main entrance off the Devizes to Swindon road, a short drive around the perri track would bring visitors to C2. . Swindon Karting, also owned by the applicant, place a great deal of emphasis on their website NOT to use Priors Hill to access the Action Dome so as not to upset the residents. . As has already been stated, Wroughton Airfield was a brilliant place to visit for Para-Gliding, Classic car shows, The science innovation show and of course the Science Museum open days....and never more than a fiver-per-car entry fee. The Science Museum security staff were always cheerful and helpful. All of this has now stopped, the work of Priors Hill residents perchance? . Synergie
  • Score: 0

11:45pm Tue 9 Oct 12

1 2 Could B says...

Bob,
Thanks for asking.
I do have an aerial photo of Wroughton airfield.

It has an unusual runway layout for a ww2 airfield

www.flickr.com/photo
s/73970391@N03/69362
61341/
Bob, Thanks for asking. I do have an aerial photo of Wroughton airfield. It has an unusual runway layout for a ww2 airfield www.flickr.com/photo s/73970391@N03/69362 61341/ 1 2 Could B
  • Score: 0

7:29am Wed 10 Oct 12

Wideangle852 says...

What a waste of a great site . . I bet a few councillors live just up the road . . .
What a waste of a great site . . I bet a few councillors live just up the road . . . Wideangle852
  • Score: 0

8:37am Wed 10 Oct 12

RichardR1 says...

It must be remembered that this applicant has clashed with the Council on quite a few occasions, so one would be forgiven for thinking this was payback time.

I agree this chap should go to appeal, an AONB it certainly is not.
It must be remembered that this applicant has clashed with the Council on quite a few occasions, so one would be forgiven for thinking this was payback time. I agree this chap should go to appeal, an AONB it certainly is not. RichardR1
  • Score: 0

9:50am Wed 10 Oct 12

Coolhandkeith says...

Just because the applicant has clashed with the council a few times before doesnt make the councils decision right let common sense prevail here let's not forget this site was there before the housing development for the upmarket Alexander park these nimbys are all the same they never want new things on their doorsteps but they don't mind going to someone else's doorstep to use the same facilities
Just because the applicant has clashed with the council a few times before doesnt make the councils decision right let common sense prevail here let's not forget this site was there before the housing development for the upmarket Alexander park these nimbys are all the same they never want new things on their doorsteps but they don't mind going to someone else's doorstep to use the same facilities Coolhandkeith
  • Score: 0

10:07am Wed 10 Oct 12

RichardR1 says...

Coolhandkeith, I think my subsequent comment about an appeal shows I agree that it is not right.
Coolhandkeith, I think my subsequent comment about an appeal shows I agree that it is not right. RichardR1
  • Score: 0

1:43pm Wed 10 Oct 12

gogetter says...

Oh well at the end of the day there is a large Auction Centre just 38 Miles away at Westury called Aston Barclay which is selling on average over 15,000 vehicles a year! Not far from Swindon at all !
Oh well at the end of the day there is a large Auction Centre just 38 Miles away at Westury called Aston Barclay which is selling on average over 15,000 vehicles a year! Not far from Swindon at all ! gogetter
  • Score: 0

3:08pm Wed 10 Oct 12

Melgee says...

Another case of who was there first, the airfield or the residents opposing the car auctions?
I can remember when the airfield was an active RAF airfield and the Wroughton roads leading to the airfield were very busy in fact, far more busy than a few Punter's going to a car auction.
As suggested let a trial time be granted and see what happens. This has to be the fairest way of solving the differences between all parties.
Another case of who was there first, the airfield or the residents opposing the car auctions? I can remember when the airfield was an active RAF airfield and the Wroughton roads leading to the airfield were very busy in fact, far more busy than a few Punter's going to a car auction. As suggested let a trial time be granted and see what happens. This has to be the fairest way of solving the differences between all parties. Melgee
  • Score: 0

8:58am Thu 11 Oct 12

louisa74 says...

To everyone that is saying use the old MOD Road i dare any of you to come here and use it then see if you complain after, that road is not safe for use it has been badly repaired by the said owner.Yes the bus,s use the road so do the lorries because they have to they have no other way up here also the said owner of the road has said they will not repair the road because they want the council to foot the bill when the council don,t own the road.
I think before ppl start criticising i think they should come here and have a look around and see that it is not practical to have transporters up here not only that if they come off the M4 juc 15 how the hell is a transporter going to get round the street,s of Chiseldon and don,t get me started on how the hell it will get round the little round about in Chiseldon.So no it,s not all to do with the snob,s at Alexandra Park if every one looked at the plan,s and opening time,s etc they would see that the resident,s that live right next door to the air field will get no peace at all then on auction day it won,t be closing till 9pm all that traffic leaving at 9pm and how are we meant to stop traffic going up and down Prior,s hill once they know it,s there and it will give them a short cut
To everyone that is saying use the old MOD Road i dare any of you to come here and use it then see if you complain after, that road is not safe for use it has been badly repaired by the said owner.Yes the bus,s use the road so do the lorries because they have to they have no other way up here also the said owner of the road has said they will not repair the road because they want the council to foot the bill when the council don,t own the road. I think before ppl start criticising i think they should come here and have a look around and see that it is not practical to have transporters up here not only that if they come off the M4 juc 15 how the hell is a transporter going to get round the street,s of Chiseldon and don,t get me started on how the hell it will get round the little round about in Chiseldon.So no it,s not all to do with the snob,s at Alexandra Park if every one looked at the plan,s and opening time,s etc they would see that the resident,s that live right next door to the air field will get no peace at all then on auction day it won,t be closing till 9pm all that traffic leaving at 9pm and how are we meant to stop traffic going up and down Prior,s hill once they know it,s there and it will give them a short cut louisa74
  • Score: 0

8:59am Thu 11 Oct 12

louisa74 says...

jimmys lovechild wrote:
Do car auctions go on 24hrs a day 7 days a week . Its amazing how before someone as put forward a proposal there is an objection. Once a week or a fortnight and suddenly there is access concerns and extra traffic . Typical Swindon nimby attitude to things yet we moan the town as nothing not surprising companies don't bother with developing the town
let,s put it next door to you then seeing,s as you want it
[quote][p][bold]jimmys lovechild[/bold] wrote: Do car auctions go on 24hrs a day 7 days a week . Its amazing how before someone as put forward a proposal there is an objection. Once a week or a fortnight and suddenly there is access concerns and extra traffic . Typical Swindon nimby attitude to things yet we moan the town as nothing not surprising companies don't bother with developing the town[/p][/quote]let,s put it next door to you then seeing,s as you want it louisa74
  • Score: 0

9:02am Thu 11 Oct 12

louisa74 says...

I 2 Could B wrote:
On the face of it, this decision does seem very strange. The 'impact' of this small once a week car auction would be minor, at most. It's mid-week and would not attract big numbers at all.

The planning department and committee routinely wave through far more devastating applications with barely a first, let alone second, thought.

This decision has, I would suspect, been made with some 'leaning' being done from some quarters.
it would not just be one day a week on the planning it would be all week setting up car,s delivered then the auction then collect the car,s the only 2 day,s it won,t be open are Saturday and Sunday the owner is not making any money from Go Karting so he want,s to now use it for a car auction
[quote][p][bold]I 2 Could B[/bold] wrote: On the face of it, this decision does seem very strange. The 'impact' of this small once a week car auction would be minor, at most. It's mid-week and would not attract big numbers at all. [p] The planning department and committee routinely wave through far more devastating applications with barely a first, let alone second, thought. [p] This decision has, I would suspect, been made with some 'leaning' being done from some quarters.[/p][/quote]it would not just be one day a week on the planning it would be all week setting up car,s delivered then the auction then collect the car,s the only 2 day,s it won,t be open are Saturday and Sunday the owner is not making any money from Go Karting so he want,s to now use it for a car auction louisa74
  • Score: 0

9:05am Thu 11 Oct 12

Jay_R! says...

louisa74 wrote:
To everyone that is saying use the old MOD Road i dare any of you to come here and use it then see if you complain after, that road is not safe for use it has been badly repaired by the said owner.Yes the bus,s use the road so do the lorries because they have to they have no other way up here also the said owner of the road has said they will not repair the road because they want the council to foot the bill when the council don,t own the road. I think before ppl start criticising i think they should come here and have a look around and see that it is not practical to have transporters up here not only that if they come off the M4 juc 15 how the hell is a transporter going to get round the street,s of Chiseldon and don,t get me started on how the hell it will get round the little round about in Chiseldon.So no it,s not all to do with the snob,s at Alexandra Park if every one looked at the plan,s and opening time,s etc they would see that the resident,s that live right next door to the air field will get no peace at all then on auction day it won,t be closing till 9pm all that traffic leaving at 9pm and how are we meant to stop traffic going up and down Prior,s hill once they know it,s there and it will give them a short cut
What if the said owner of the MOD road was to decide to close it? What would that do to the bus route?
[quote][p][bold]louisa74[/bold] wrote: To everyone that is saying use the old MOD Road i dare any of you to come here and use it then see if you complain after, that road is not safe for use it has been badly repaired by the said owner.Yes the bus,s use the road so do the lorries because they have to they have no other way up here also the said owner of the road has said they will not repair the road because they want the council to foot the bill when the council don,t own the road. I think before ppl start criticising i think they should come here and have a look around and see that it is not practical to have transporters up here not only that if they come off the M4 juc 15 how the hell is a transporter going to get round the street,s of Chiseldon and don,t get me started on how the hell it will get round the little round about in Chiseldon.So no it,s not all to do with the snob,s at Alexandra Park if every one looked at the plan,s and opening time,s etc they would see that the resident,s that live right next door to the air field will get no peace at all then on auction day it won,t be closing till 9pm all that traffic leaving at 9pm and how are we meant to stop traffic going up and down Prior,s hill once they know it,s there and it will give them a short cut[/p][/quote]What if the said owner of the MOD road was to decide to close it? What would that do to the bus route? Jay_R!
  • Score: 0

9:13am Thu 11 Oct 12

louisa74 says...

oh and hand,s up who objected to Ikea coming here ?????????
oh and hand,s up who objected to Ikea coming here ????????? louisa74
  • Score: 0

9:14am Thu 11 Oct 12

Jay_R! says...

Its funny how they wouldnt decline the application for transport access too, because they have no grounds for it and an appeal for this reason of decline would definately fall in the applicants favour.

The only grounds they have given a decline is based in it inflicting an AONB.
Its funny how they wouldnt decline the application for transport access too, because they have no grounds for it and an appeal for this reason of decline would definately fall in the applicants favour. The only grounds they have given a decline is based in it inflicting an AONB. Jay_R!
  • Score: 0

10:42am Thu 11 Oct 12

louisa74 says...

Jay_R! wrote:
louisa74 wrote:
To everyone that is saying use the old MOD Road i dare any of you to come here and use it then see if you complain after, that road is not safe for use it has been badly repaired by the said owner.Yes the bus,s use the road so do the lorries because they have to they have no other way up here also the said owner of the road has said they will not repair the road because they want the council to foot the bill when the council don,t own the road. I think before ppl start criticising i think they should come here and have a look around and see that it is not practical to have transporters up here not only that if they come off the M4 juc 15 how the hell is a transporter going to get round the street,s of Chiseldon and don,t get me started on how the hell it will get round the little round about in Chiseldon.So no it,s not all to do with the snob,s at Alexandra Park if every one looked at the plan,s and opening time,s etc they would see that the resident,s that live right next door to the air field will get no peace at all then on auction day it won,t be closing till 9pm all that traffic leaving at 9pm and how are we meant to stop traffic going up and down Prior,s hill once they know it,s there and it will give them a short cut
What if the said owner of the MOD road was to decide to close it? What would that do to the bus route?
the last i heard he tried to but the council stopped him also at the moment there is talk,s of the council adopting the road
[quote][p][bold]Jay_R![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]louisa74[/bold] wrote: To everyone that is saying use the old MOD Road i dare any of you to come here and use it then see if you complain after, that road is not safe for use it has been badly repaired by the said owner.Yes the bus,s use the road so do the lorries because they have to they have no other way up here also the said owner of the road has said they will not repair the road because they want the council to foot the bill when the council don,t own the road. I think before ppl start criticising i think they should come here and have a look around and see that it is not practical to have transporters up here not only that if they come off the M4 juc 15 how the hell is a transporter going to get round the street,s of Chiseldon and don,t get me started on how the hell it will get round the little round about in Chiseldon.So no it,s not all to do with the snob,s at Alexandra Park if every one looked at the plan,s and opening time,s etc they would see that the resident,s that live right next door to the air field will get no peace at all then on auction day it won,t be closing till 9pm all that traffic leaving at 9pm and how are we meant to stop traffic going up and down Prior,s hill once they know it,s there and it will give them a short cut[/p][/quote]What if the said owner of the MOD road was to decide to close it? What would that do to the bus route?[/p][/quote]the last i heard he tried to but the council stopped him also at the moment there is talk,s of the council adopting the road louisa74
  • Score: 0

10:54am Thu 11 Oct 12

louisa74 says...

Jay_R! wrote:
Its funny how they wouldnt decline the application for transport access too, because they have no grounds for it and an appeal for this reason of decline would definately fall in the applicants favour.

The only grounds they have given a decline is based in it inflicting an AONB.
if you read the objection,s there are quiet a few for the traffic but the ANOB got in there first if you also look at the ANOB objection then they put it in before anyone else even knew anything about it.I like everyone else think that most ppl just object for the sake of objecting when they wanted to put 20 new house,s at Langton Park i had no objection,s what so ever because the land they wanted to use is just being used as a rubbish tip.I don,t have any problem with any thing up here at the moment they are trying to sell more land up here to put housing and shop,s etc i will not have any objection to that either.I just think there maybe better place,s to put this like all the empty car building,s in west Swindon i see Dick Lovett is now empty.And yes i do agree i can,t see how it will affect ANOB as they didn,t really think about that when they had planes flying in and out all the time
[quote][p][bold]Jay_R![/bold] wrote: Its funny how they wouldnt decline the application for transport access too, because they have no grounds for it and an appeal for this reason of decline would definately fall in the applicants favour. The only grounds they have given a decline is based in it inflicting an AONB.[/p][/quote]if you read the objection,s there are quiet a few for the traffic but the ANOB got in there first if you also look at the ANOB objection then they put it in before anyone else even knew anything about it.I like everyone else think that most ppl just object for the sake of objecting when they wanted to put 20 new house,s at Langton Park i had no objection,s what so ever because the land they wanted to use is just being used as a rubbish tip.I don,t have any problem with any thing up here at the moment they are trying to sell more land up here to put housing and shop,s etc i will not have any objection to that either.I just think there maybe better place,s to put this like all the empty car building,s in west Swindon i see Dick Lovett is now empty.And yes i do agree i can,t see how it will affect ANOB as they didn,t really think about that when they had planes flying in and out all the time louisa74
  • Score: 0

11:22am Thu 11 Oct 12

Jay_R! says...

The decision made at the planning committee meeting held after this article was posted was based purely on concern of ANOB. I beleive that the council solicitor advised against a decline for traffic.
The decision made at the planning committee meeting held after this article was posted was based purely on concern of ANOB. I beleive that the council solicitor advised against a decline for traffic. Jay_R!
  • Score: 0

11:24am Thu 11 Oct 12

Jay_R! says...

and from your comment above I think you will agree that if an appeal was made based on the decline decision as purely AONB then I think the applicant has a strong chance of getting planning granted.
and from your comment above I think you will agree that if an appeal was made based on the decline decision as purely AONB then I think the applicant has a strong chance of getting planning granted. Jay_R!
  • Score: 0

2:27pm Thu 11 Oct 12

louisa74 says...

if it does win on appeal then it does there is nothing any one can do about it but at least the resident,s and the counselors have done everything it can to prevent it my point is that ppl should not be so quick to jump on other ppl for objecting to these thing,s unless they live any where near here.
if it does win on appeal then it does there is nothing any one can do about it but at least the resident,s and the counselors have done everything it can to prevent it my point is that ppl should not be so quick to jump on other ppl for objecting to these thing,s unless they live any where near here. louisa74
  • Score: 0

6:46pm Thu 11 Oct 12

TakeTheMick says...

louisa74 wrote:
To everyone that is saying use the old MOD Road i dare any of you to come here and use it then see if you complain after, that road is not safe for use it has been badly repaired by the said owner.Yes the bus,s use the road so do the lorries because they have to they have no other way up here also the said owner of the road has said they will not repair the road because they want the council to foot the bill when the council don,t own the road. I think before ppl start criticising i think they should come here and have a look around and see that it is not practical to have transporters up here not only that if they come off the M4 juc 15 how the hell is a transporter going to get round the street,s of Chiseldon and don,t get me started on how the hell it will get round the little round about in Chiseldon.So no it,s not all to do with the snob,s at Alexandra Park if every one looked at the plan,s and opening time,s etc they would see that the resident,s that live right next door to the air field will get no peace at all then on auction day it won,t be closing till 9pm all that traffic leaving at 9pm and how are we meant to stop traffic going up and down Prior,s hill once they know it,s there and it will give them a short cut
i would like to know where you all get the idea of the applicant using large transporters from. If you had been at the meeting you would have heard that it was LOCAL small car sales and private sellers that was aimed at not LARGE companies so it would have only been single car transporters or trailer not the 60 metre long YES 60 metre long transporters that were objected to by someone not knowing the facts.
Also if you were at the meeting you would have known that it was NOT the AONB that got in there 1st as 2 were still trying to object for HIGHWAYS until their own solicitor told them THEY HAVE NO HARD EVIDENCE TO OBJECT ON THOSE GROUNDS so then they had to JUMP **** TO OBJECT on AONB grounds.
It would be no different to the applicant having a large group up there for a karting event to the amount of people to the auctions. I see from their opening times they have 10pm finishes so 9pm is even earlier.
[quote][p][bold]louisa74[/bold] wrote: To everyone that is saying use the old MOD Road i dare any of you to come here and use it then see if you complain after, that road is not safe for use it has been badly repaired by the said owner.Yes the bus,s use the road so do the lorries because they have to they have no other way up here also the said owner of the road has said they will not repair the road because they want the council to foot the bill when the council don,t own the road. I think before ppl start criticising i think they should come here and have a look around and see that it is not practical to have transporters up here not only that if they come off the M4 juc 15 how the hell is a transporter going to get round the street,s of Chiseldon and don,t get me started on how the hell it will get round the little round about in Chiseldon.So no it,s not all to do with the snob,s at Alexandra Park if every one looked at the plan,s and opening time,s etc they would see that the resident,s that live right next door to the air field will get no peace at all then on auction day it won,t be closing till 9pm all that traffic leaving at 9pm and how are we meant to stop traffic going up and down Prior,s hill once they know it,s there and it will give them a short cut[/p][/quote]i would like to know where you all get the idea of the applicant using large transporters from. If you had been at the meeting you would have heard that it was LOCAL small car sales and private sellers that was aimed at not LARGE companies so it would have only been single car transporters or trailer not the 60 metre long YES 60 metre long transporters that were objected to by someone not knowing the facts. Also if you were at the meeting you would have known that it was NOT the AONB that got in there 1st as 2 were still trying to object for HIGHWAYS until their own solicitor told them THEY HAVE NO HARD EVIDENCE TO OBJECT ON THOSE GROUNDS so then they had to JUMP **** TO OBJECT on AONB grounds. It would be no different to the applicant having a large group up there for a karting event to the amount of people to the auctions. I see from their opening times they have 10pm finishes so 9pm is even earlier. TakeTheMick
  • Score: 0

6:49pm Thu 11 Oct 12

TakeTheMick says...

louisa74 wrote:
Jay_R! wrote:
louisa74 wrote: To everyone that is saying use the old MOD Road i dare any of you to come here and use it then see if you complain after, that road is not safe for use it has been badly repaired by the said owner.Yes the bus,s use the road so do the lorries because they have to they have no other way up here also the said owner of the road has said they will not repair the road because they want the council to foot the bill when the council don,t own the road. I think before ppl start criticising i think they should come here and have a look around and see that it is not practical to have transporters up here not only that if they come off the M4 juc 15 how the hell is a transporter going to get round the street,s of Chiseldon and don,t get me started on how the hell it will get round the little round about in Chiseldon.So no it,s not all to do with the snob,s at Alexandra Park if every one looked at the plan,s and opening time,s etc they would see that the resident,s that live right next door to the air field will get no peace at all then on auction day it won,t be closing till 9pm all that traffic leaving at 9pm and how are we meant to stop traffic going up and down Prior,s hill once they know it,s there and it will give them a short cut
What if the said owner of the MOD road was to decide to close it? What would that do to the bus route?
the last i heard he tried to but the council stopped him also at the moment there is talk,s of the council adopting the road
Just for your records as i know the applicant, he has never tried to shut off the road for the council to stop him. Would be funny though if it was to happen then see what the buses and others do then. Private road then don't use it if not happy with it.
[quote][p][bold]louisa74[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jay_R![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]louisa74[/bold] wrote: To everyone that is saying use the old MOD Road i dare any of you to come here and use it then see if you complain after, that road is not safe for use it has been badly repaired by the said owner.Yes the bus,s use the road so do the lorries because they have to they have no other way up here also the said owner of the road has said they will not repair the road because they want the council to foot the bill when the council don,t own the road. I think before ppl start criticising i think they should come here and have a look around and see that it is not practical to have transporters up here not only that if they come off the M4 juc 15 how the hell is a transporter going to get round the street,s of Chiseldon and don,t get me started on how the hell it will get round the little round about in Chiseldon.So no it,s not all to do with the snob,s at Alexandra Park if every one looked at the plan,s and opening time,s etc they would see that the resident,s that live right next door to the air field will get no peace at all then on auction day it won,t be closing till 9pm all that traffic leaving at 9pm and how are we meant to stop traffic going up and down Prior,s hill once they know it,s there and it will give them a short cut[/p][/quote]What if the said owner of the MOD road was to decide to close it? What would that do to the bus route?[/p][/quote]the last i heard he tried to but the council stopped him also at the moment there is talk,s of the council adopting the road[/p][/quote]Just for your records as i know the applicant, he has never tried to shut off the road for the council to stop him. Would be funny though if it was to happen then see what the buses and others do then. Private road then don't use it if not happy with it. TakeTheMick
  • Score: 0

6:58pm Thu 11 Oct 12

TakeTheMick says...

louisa74 wrote:
I 2 Could B wrote: On the face of it, this decision does seem very strange. The 'impact' of this small once a week car auction would be minor, at most. It's mid-week and would not attract big numbers at all. The planning department and committee routinely wave through far more devastating applications with barely a first, let alone second, thought. This decision has, I would suspect, been made with some 'leaning' being done from some quarters.
it would not just be one day a week on the planning it would be all week setting up car,s delivered then the auction then collect the car,s the only 2 day,s it won,t be open are Saturday and Sunday the owner is not making any money from Go Karting so he want,s to now use it for a car auction
Louisa, until you know all the facts about the applicants business, how can you go about saying the owner is not making any money from go-karting. There has been karting there since 1994 and is still there today. Do you do their accounts to have evidence from what you say as he has never mentioned he has taken on a new secretary to keep an eye on his accounts. I will let him know that he has others working for him that know about his finances. Also there was a couple of hours in the morning that cars was to be delivered to the site. then the auction day on a wednesday then a thursday until 4pm to take cars away. Then FRIDAY SATURDAY AND SUNDAY there would be NO movement of auction cars.
PLEASE GET FACTS RIGHT.
[quote][p][bold]louisa74[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]I 2 Could B[/bold] wrote: On the face of it, this decision does seem very strange. The 'impact' of this small once a week car auction would be minor, at most. It's mid-week and would not attract big numbers at all. [p] The planning department and committee routinely wave through far more devastating applications with barely a first, let alone second, thought. [p] This decision has, I would suspect, been made with some 'leaning' being done from some quarters.[/p][/quote]it would not just be one day a week on the planning it would be all week setting up car,s delivered then the auction then collect the car,s the only 2 day,s it won,t be open are Saturday and Sunday the owner is not making any money from Go Karting so he want,s to now use it for a car auction[/p][/quote]Louisa, until you know all the facts about the applicants business, how can you go about saying the owner is not making any money from go-karting. There has been karting there since 1994 and is still there today. Do you do their accounts to have evidence from what you say as he has never mentioned he has taken on a new secretary to keep an eye on his accounts. I will let him know that he has others working for him that know about his finances. Also there was a couple of hours in the morning that cars was to be delivered to the site. then the auction day on a wednesday then a thursday until 4pm to take cars away. Then FRIDAY SATURDAY AND SUNDAY there would be NO movement of auction cars. PLEASE GET FACTS RIGHT. TakeTheMick
  • Score: 0

11:35am Tue 16 Oct 12

louisa74 says...

well send my apologies to the owner for quoting him self he said in a paper interview that he was losing business from his go karting so say sorry and as for the opening time,s you need to speak to the council about that as it was stated on the applicant that is on the Swindon Borough Council website the opening times so yet again i have read the facts before opening my mouth unlike some ppl i do get my facts from several sources so when ppl like you make the comments that you make i have all the fact,s at hand i can only tell a lie if i,m told a lie
well send my apologies to the owner for quoting him self he said in a paper interview that he was losing business from his go karting so say sorry and as for the opening time,s you need to speak to the council about that as it was stated on the applicant that is on the Swindon Borough Council website the opening times so yet again i have read the facts before opening my mouth unlike some ppl i do get my facts from several sources so when ppl like you make the comments that you make i have all the fact,s at hand i can only tell a lie if i,m told a lie louisa74
  • Score: 0

11:41am Tue 16 Oct 12

louisa74 says...

TakeTheMick wrote:
louisa74 wrote:
Jay_R! wrote:
louisa74 wrote: To everyone that is saying use the old MOD Road i dare any of you to come here and use it then see if you complain after, that road is not safe for use it has been badly repaired by the said owner.Yes the bus,s use the road so do the lorries because they have to they have no other way up here also the said owner of the road has said they will not repair the road because they want the council to foot the bill when the council don,t own the road. I think before ppl start criticising i think they should come here and have a look around and see that it is not practical to have transporters up here not only that if they come off the M4 juc 15 how the hell is a transporter going to get round the street,s of Chiseldon and don,t get me started on how the hell it will get round the little round about in Chiseldon.So no it,s not all to do with the snob,s at Alexandra Park if every one looked at the plan,s and opening time,s etc they would see that the resident,s that live right next door to the air field will get no peace at all then on auction day it won,t be closing till 9pm all that traffic leaving at 9pm and how are we meant to stop traffic going up and down Prior,s hill once they know it,s there and it will give them a short cut
What if the said owner of the MOD road was to decide to close it? What would that do to the bus route?
the last i heard he tried to but the council stopped him also at the moment there is talk,s of the council adopting the road
Just for your records as i know the applicant, he has never tried to shut off the road for the council to stop him. Would be funny though if it was to happen then see what the buses and others do then. Private road then don't use it if not happy with it.
we don,t use the road and i was told by several villagers that he tried to close it i really couldn,t care less what he does with it as i said we don,t use it
[quote][p][bold]TakeTheMick[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]louisa74[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jay_R![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]louisa74[/bold] wrote: To everyone that is saying use the old MOD Road i dare any of you to come here and use it then see if you complain after, that road is not safe for use it has been badly repaired by the said owner.Yes the bus,s use the road so do the lorries because they have to they have no other way up here also the said owner of the road has said they will not repair the road because they want the council to foot the bill when the council don,t own the road. I think before ppl start criticising i think they should come here and have a look around and see that it is not practical to have transporters up here not only that if they come off the M4 juc 15 how the hell is a transporter going to get round the street,s of Chiseldon and don,t get me started on how the hell it will get round the little round about in Chiseldon.So no it,s not all to do with the snob,s at Alexandra Park if every one looked at the plan,s and opening time,s etc they would see that the resident,s that live right next door to the air field will get no peace at all then on auction day it won,t be closing till 9pm all that traffic leaving at 9pm and how are we meant to stop traffic going up and down Prior,s hill once they know it,s there and it will give them a short cut[/p][/quote]What if the said owner of the MOD road was to decide to close it? What would that do to the bus route?[/p][/quote]the last i heard he tried to but the council stopped him also at the moment there is talk,s of the council adopting the road[/p][/quote]Just for your records as i know the applicant, he has never tried to shut off the road for the council to stop him. Would be funny though if it was to happen then see what the buses and others do then. Private road then don't use it if not happy with it.[/p][/quote]we don,t use the road and i was told by several villagers that he tried to close it i really couldn,t care less what he does with it as i said we don,t use it louisa74
  • Score: 0

11:46am Tue 16 Oct 12

louisa74 says...

TakeTheMick wrote:
louisa74 wrote:
To everyone that is saying use the old MOD Road i dare any of you to come here and use it then see if you complain after, that road is not safe for use it has been badly repaired by the said owner.Yes the bus,s use the road so do the lorries because they have to they have no other way up here also the said owner of the road has said they will not repair the road because they want the council to foot the bill when the council don,t own the road. I think before ppl start criticising i think they should come here and have a look around and see that it is not practical to have transporters up here not only that if they come off the M4 juc 15 how the hell is a transporter going to get round the street,s of Chiseldon and don,t get me started on how the hell it will get round the little round about in Chiseldon.So no it,s not all to do with the snob,s at Alexandra Park if every one looked at the plan,s and opening time,s etc they would see that the resident,s that live right next door to the air field will get no peace at all then on auction day it won,t be closing till 9pm all that traffic leaving at 9pm and how are we meant to stop traffic going up and down Prior,s hill once they know it,s there and it will give them a short cut
i would like to know where you all get the idea of the applicant using large transporters from. If you had been at the meeting you would have heard that it was LOCAL small car sales and private sellers that was aimed at not LARGE companies so it would have only been single car transporters or trailer not the 60 metre long YES 60 metre long transporters that were objected to by someone not knowing the facts.
Also if you were at the meeting you would have known that it was NOT the AONB that got in there 1st as 2 were still trying to object for HIGHWAYS until their own solicitor told them THEY HAVE NO HARD EVIDENCE TO OBJECT ON THOSE GROUNDS so then they had to JUMP **** TO OBJECT on AONB grounds.
It would be no different to the applicant having a large group up there for a karting event to the amount of people to the auctions. I see from their opening times they have 10pm finishes so 9pm is even earlier.
yet again the council website i read all the objection,s and the first objection dated letter on the council website was AONB so if you have a problem tell the council to stop printing this stuff on there official website and as for the transporters again it was in the paper they said they had done a trial run and the contractor would not be using the private road he would be using Priors hill.told a lie reply a lie
[quote][p][bold]TakeTheMick[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]louisa74[/bold] wrote: To everyone that is saying use the old MOD Road i dare any of you to come here and use it then see if you complain after, that road is not safe for use it has been badly repaired by the said owner.Yes the bus,s use the road so do the lorries because they have to they have no other way up here also the said owner of the road has said they will not repair the road because they want the council to foot the bill when the council don,t own the road. I think before ppl start criticising i think they should come here and have a look around and see that it is not practical to have transporters up here not only that if they come off the M4 juc 15 how the hell is a transporter going to get round the street,s of Chiseldon and don,t get me started on how the hell it will get round the little round about in Chiseldon.So no it,s not all to do with the snob,s at Alexandra Park if every one looked at the plan,s and opening time,s etc they would see that the resident,s that live right next door to the air field will get no peace at all then on auction day it won,t be closing till 9pm all that traffic leaving at 9pm and how are we meant to stop traffic going up and down Prior,s hill once they know it,s there and it will give them a short cut[/p][/quote]i would like to know where you all get the idea of the applicant using large transporters from. If you had been at the meeting you would have heard that it was LOCAL small car sales and private sellers that was aimed at not LARGE companies so it would have only been single car transporters or trailer not the 60 metre long YES 60 metre long transporters that were objected to by someone not knowing the facts. Also if you were at the meeting you would have known that it was NOT the AONB that got in there 1st as 2 were still trying to object for HIGHWAYS until their own solicitor told them THEY HAVE NO HARD EVIDENCE TO OBJECT ON THOSE GROUNDS so then they had to JUMP **** TO OBJECT on AONB grounds. It would be no different to the applicant having a large group up there for a karting event to the amount of people to the auctions. I see from their opening times they have 10pm finishes so 9pm is even earlier.[/p][/quote]yet again the council website i read all the objection,s and the first objection dated letter on the council website was AONB so if you have a problem tell the council to stop printing this stuff on there official website and as for the transporters again it was in the paper they said they had done a trial run and the contractor would not be using the private road he would be using Priors hill.told a lie reply a lie louisa74
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree