NORTH Wilts finally conceded their first goal of the season but still ran out convincing 4-1 winners over Swindon B.

The Dorcan side had kept a solid rearguard for more than 500 minutes of hockey in East Central 1, before their local rivals found a way through.

In his final game for North Wilts before moving away, Max Bartholomew opened the scoring from a short corner as he struck crisply beyond the defender on the line.

Shortly after a Shaun Montague error allowed the visitors to grab an equaliser, but North Wilts quickly restored their lead.

The ball arrived to Bartholomew via Dominic Ellis and Darren Hillier and a defender tipped beyond his own keeper.

Midway through the second half Cameron Young got his first league goal of the season with a first-time strike into the roof of the net.

Bartholomew completed the scoring when he latched onto Ellis’ superb pass, rounded the goalkeeper and slammed in from a narrow angle.

Meanwhile, Swindon’s trusty home form let them down for the second time this season as they were sunk 3-2 by visitors Bristol University.

The hosts suffered an early blow in the Premiership clash as defender Tom Saunders was forced off through injury in the first 15 minutes.

Three controversial penalty corner decisions from the umpire resulted in three poor goals being conceded by the defence and keeper Alan Gough.

In reply, Tom Gillingham hit home a penalty stroke after a shot was saved on the line by a defender’s foot.

John Scrase scored from an acute angle following a well-worked penalty corner, and Swindon were back in the match going into the break.

With time running out in the second half, the home side nearly grabbed an equaliser when Scrase fired goalwards from a corner, only to see his shot cleared off the line.

The man of the match award went to Lewis Dyer, who is continuing to improve in his new role of right-back.

Elsewhere, Wootton Bassett could not convert superior possession into goals in their 2-1 home defeat to Team Bath Buccs E in Central 2.

Buccs quickly raced into a 2-0 lead courtesy of breakaway goals in the 17th and 23rd minutes, but minutes before the interval, Patrick Law got the home side back in it.

The visitors were awarded a penalty flick midway through the second half when the ball was stopped on the goalline by a foot.

However, Bassett keeper Jack Rose pulled off an excellent save to keep the effort out.

North Wilts 2nds defeated in-form City of Bath C 1-0 in East Central 2.

The best chance of the first half fell to Damien Holland, who ghosted through the defence only to put the ball wide of the far post.

The only goal of the game came in the second half from a short corner, which was struck home by captain Kiran Momi.