ASH Gooch struck a minute from time to send Purton into the third round of the Supplementary Cup at the expense of Easington.

The Red House man kept his cool in the closing seconds to secure a 3-2 victory for his side in front of the home support.

Easington had taken the lead courtesy of James Hastie but striker Richie Crocker levelled after the break when the referee failed to spot his handball in the lead-up.

Ryan Child put Purton 2-1 ahead only for Andrew Stidder to equalise with three minutes left, but Gooch’s timely strike sent Purton through.

Striker Crocker admitted afterwards: “To be honest I don’t think anyone fancied going into extra time and penalties, so it was quite a relief.

“Goochy and Ryan Child in particular were due to have a night out in Bournemouth so they were quite keen to get away.

“I think we deserved it in the end, we worked hard. With every week we’re getting stronger and stronger and we’re set up for the rest of the season now.”

Elsewhere in the competition, Cricklade were hammered 5-2 by Finchampstead, with Jack Allan scoring the Stones Lane side’s consolations. Nick Cooper (3), Harry Swabey and an own goal contributed to Finchampstead’s total.

New College’s season continues to go from bad to worse as they were crushed 7-1 by Highmoor Ibis. Nathan Blackford’s goal was rendered meaningless by efforts from Mohammed Davies (4), Ian Griffin, Devanta Romeo and an own goal.

Malmesbury’s Supplementary Cup game against Maidenhead and Shrivenham’s match against North Leigh Reserves were both postponed. Fairford’s trip to Milton suffered the same fate.

In the Challenge Cup, Highworth were sunk 4-1 by Marlow, loanee TJ Bohane’s late penalty only proving a consolation after Ray Spence (3) and Ian Davies struck for the visitors.

Worthians chief John Fisher admitted: “There’s no two ways about it, they were the better side, although we did compete with them for long periods so that was quite pleasing.

“Four goals flattered them a little bit because we gave them three goals by making bad mistakes, but that’s what happens when you play against quality sides - they punish you.

“They are going to be there or thereabouts in the league come the end of the season. “We wanted to progress in the cup but it wasn’t to be.”

Elsewhere in the competition, Lambourn were leading 2-1 against Wantage with eight minutes left after goals from Richard Guy and Adrian Mooney cancelled out a Sam Parish effort.

However, late goals from John McMahon and Tom Butler gave Wantage victory.