SWINDON TOWN: PDC counting on Fitton help

Town boss Paolo Di Canio

Town boss Paolo Di Canio

First published in Sport by

PAOLO Di Canio has urged Andrew Fitton to do his part in accelerating any potential takeover at Swindon Town.

The former chairman is believed to be owed around £3million of the club’s unsecured debt, and Di Canio suggested that what Fitton chooses to do with that outstanding amount could help in the process of finding a new owner.

The Italian was pleased by what he regards as the “positive” message aired by Fitton in a recent interview, in which he said he would welcome a return to the County Ground, and he remains hopeful a positive resolution can be reached.

“I heard Fitton’s words and I am more than happy and I hope he can make actions in this way and make facts and help if someone comes really strong and wants to buy the club,” he said. “He has to help in the right way he said. He knows how, because all the others - the three shareholders (Andrew Black, Sir Martyn Arbib and Jeremy Wray) - have made a good action to help the situation.

“He knows what he has to do to help but the words that he sent out are more than positive. I’m very happy that he let me know he will help the situation without putting a block.

“From the interview he said very good things and I’m very happy because he cares about the club. It depends what he wants to do. We know what the other three guys have done.”

“My only point is, he was very positive but in some way he criticised. He said they should have heard me because I didn’t want to go through this plan, it was too expensive, it put the club under risk.

“I know it is more important to have stability in a club, to have health and life for a long period than risk to win one league and then disappear forever. This is normal in life in general but this is not our case.

“Also, in life and in sport especially you live with hope that you can have satisfaction that you can achieve something.”

Comments (7)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:29am Fri 25 Jan 13

London Red says...

£3m - what happened to the £250k combined with JW and Sir Arbib's share then Med?
.
Think someone owes AF a massive apology!
£3m - what happened to the £250k combined with JW and Sir Arbib's share then Med? . Think someone owes AF a massive apology! London Red
  • Score: 0

9:53am Fri 25 Jan 13

TheDukeOfBanbury says...

London Red wrote:
£3m - what happened to the £250k combined with JW and Sir Arbib's share then Med?
.
Think someone owes AF a massive apology!
We don't do apologies on here LR you should know that by now :)

To the gallows...."Off with his head" .....next :)

Seriously people have short memories regarding AF.

No AF and we had no Club.
Diamond Mike is in the Car Park bearing gifts...........
[quote][p][bold]London Red[/bold] wrote: £3m - what happened to the £250k combined with JW and Sir Arbib's share then Med? . Think someone owes AF a massive apology![/p][/quote]We don't do apologies on here LR you should know that by now :) To the gallows...."Off with his head" .....next :) Seriously people have short memories regarding AF. No AF and we had no Club. Diamond Mike is in the Car Park bearing gifts........... TheDukeOfBanbury
  • Score: 0

12:56pm Fri 25 Jan 13

mike1990 says...

Reading what PDC said,it's clear to me it would become very difficult for the two of them to work together it would all end in tears,best if Mr Fitton cut his losses and sells his share,like Mr Black,that is of course if they can find not only any buyer but the right one,the A word still worries me,unless the shareholders and their debt,is sold at a very big loss to the new buyer.
Reading what PDC said,it's clear to me it would become very difficult for the two of them to work together it would all end in tears,best if Mr Fitton cut his losses and sells his share,like Mr Black,that is of course if they can find not only any buyer but the right one,the A word still worries me,unless the shareholders and their debt,is sold at a very big loss to the new buyer. mike1990
  • Score: 0

1:15pm Fri 25 Jan 13

stfcflag says...

TheDukeOfBanbury wrote:
London Red wrote: £3m - what happened to the £250k combined with JW and Sir Arbib's share then Med? . Think someone owes AF a massive apology!
We don't do apologies on here LR you should know that by now :) To the gallows...."Off with his head" .....next :) Seriously people have short memories regarding AF. No AF and we had no Club. Diamond Mike is in the Car Park bearing gifts...........
Fully agree, good on AF, I hope he stays with the club and takes it forward with new owners and Paolo. Fingers crossed for a win at Tranmere !
[quote][p][bold]TheDukeOfBanbury[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]London Red[/bold] wrote: £3m - what happened to the £250k combined with JW and Sir Arbib's share then Med? . Think someone owes AF a massive apology![/p][/quote]We don't do apologies on here LR you should know that by now :) To the gallows...."Off with his head" .....next :) Seriously people have short memories regarding AF. No AF and we had no Club. Diamond Mike is in the Car Park bearing gifts...........[/p][/quote]Fully agree, good on AF, I hope he stays with the club and takes it forward with new owners and Paolo. Fingers crossed for a win at Tranmere ! stfcflag
  • Score: 0

1:21pm Fri 25 Jan 13

RamsburyRed says...

So now we see the logic behind the A word - if other shareholders aren't prepared to take a loss as AB is, then the alternative is to put into Admin - so the loss will be forced upon them.
*
Highlights one of the pitfalls of consortia, especially with different levels of shareholding and possibly differing tolerance of losses.
So now we see the logic behind the A word - if other shareholders aren't prepared to take a loss as AB is, then the alternative is to put into Admin - so the loss will be forced upon them. * Highlights one of the pitfalls of consortia, especially with different levels of shareholding and possibly differing tolerance of losses. RamsburyRed
  • Score: 0

1:32pm Fri 25 Jan 13

mike1990 says...

RamsburyRed wrote:
So now we see the logic behind the A word - if other shareholders aren't prepared to take a loss as AB is, then the alternative is to put into Admin - so the loss will be forced upon them.
*
Highlights one of the pitfalls of consortia, especially with different levels of shareholding and possibly differing tolerance of losses.
Spot on Ramsbury Red,looks like Black is prepared to take a big loss,maybe Fitton don't want to,so Black could say you'll have to if I put us into Admin,that as you say is the big problem of consortia.
[quote][p][bold]RamsburyRed[/bold] wrote: So now we see the logic behind the A word - if other shareholders aren't prepared to take a loss as AB is, then the alternative is to put into Admin - so the loss will be forced upon them. * Highlights one of the pitfalls of consortia, especially with different levels of shareholding and possibly differing tolerance of losses.[/p][/quote]Spot on Ramsbury Red,looks like Black is prepared to take a big loss,maybe Fitton don't want to,so Black could say you'll have to if I put us into Admin,that as you say is the big problem of consortia. mike1990
  • Score: 0

1:51pm Fri 25 Jan 13

London Red says...

Thats exactly what I said it was when the Admin story first broke - it was a threat to the others - especially as AB owns all the shares - so could get less of a hit if they were sold at par
.
However - AF clearly said he would be first at the table to negotiate if suitable investors can be found
.
So I don't think our new owners will get a total write off - but will get a massive proportion written off
Thats exactly what I said it was when the Admin story first broke - it was a threat to the others - especially as AB owns all the shares - so could get less of a hit if they were sold at par . However - AF clearly said he would be first at the table to negotiate if suitable investors can be found . So I don't think our new owners will get a total write off - but will get a massive proportion written off London Red
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree