Get involved! Send photos, video, news & views. Text SWINDON NEWS to 80360 or email us
SWINDON TOWN: MacDonald prepared for life without loans
SWINDON Town manager Kevin MacDonald will plan on only having the current members of his first-team squad available to him for the remainder of the season while the club remains in embargo.
With the emergency loan window set to close next Thursday evening, Town are still restricted in their movement in the transfer market as the club attempts to resolve what general manager Steve Murrall termed “unseen issues” in an interview with the Advertiser last week.
The club has yet to officially explain what the problems are, although all outstanding loan fees and transfer payments to other teams have been made, and Swindon continue to be prohibited from registering new players.
Four signings are believed to have been lined up, should the embargo be lifted before the March 28 deadline, but MacDonald is not about to start formulating a blueprint for the future which includes players he may never get the chance to work with.
When asked whether he was preparing for the embargo not to be lifted, he said: “Until we actually get the embargo lifted we are always preparing for that anyway. We’ve looked at a couple of players but if it doesn’t happen, it doesn’t happen.
“These are good players and if we can keep everybody fit it’s a pretty good squad that we’ve got.
“The players have got them to where they are and they probably think they can take us all the way through - and if that is what has to happen then that is what has to happen.
“We can’t affect the point of view that, if the embargo is taken, the right players are available to us because those players might not be available to us. They might have gone to other clubs by the time that happens.
“If the right players are available to us then we’ll try to get a couple in but if not we’ll deal with what we’ve got.”
MacDonald admitted he is interested in specific players, although he did not disclose their identity.
“There’s no news from my end,” he said. “At the moment the club are still trying to sort things out. There are obviously players I’ve looked at but we haven’t made any enquiries because there’s no point until we actually come out of it.
“It probably won’t be just suddenly. We haven’t made enquiries because it wouldn’t be fair to the clubs that we talk to and it wouldn’t be fair to the players themselves.
“We’ve not gone too far down that road. We’re just planning on having the squad of players that we have at the moment for the Yeovil game and hopefully the embargo will be lifted and we might see something before the weekend."