NOTHING could remove the grin from Gareth Davies’ face after he guided his Malmesbury side to three points in his first competitive match in charge.

Vics were 2-0 winners over Old Woodstock with two goals within seven minutes of the start of the second half doing the damage at the Flying Monk.

Scott Chilcott got the opener from the spot after he was fouled and Lewis Waldon dinked home number two following good work from Terry Moore and Chilcott.

The hosts were never troubled after that and Davies was delighted that the Division One West season had begun in ideal fashion.

“I’m over the moon. I had a coathanger in my mouth on Saturday, I couldn’t stop smiling,” he said.

“We’ve got three points on the board straight away and that’s all we wanted.

“We knew the first 20 minutes were going to be blood and thunder with it being the start of the season, but that 20 minutes seemed to go on for 45.

“In the second half we came out and we were more relaxed and within a few minutes we were 2-0 up.

“If I’m honest we were quite comfortable. We were solid at the back and every time we broke out up front it looked like we were going to score.

“I was sat with Ady Roper (assistant) in the bar afterwards and we were saying we thought we had done alright.”

Malmesbury - who completed the double signing of Wootton Bassett pair Aaron Daiton and Lewis Petrie in the lead-up to the game - are not in action in midweek.

Davies’ men were due to travel to Tytherington on Wednesday but that has now been postponed and looks set to take place a week on Wednesday instead.

Fairford’s hopes of continuing their good pre-season form came crashing down on Saturday, as the Jim Newman Memorial Trophy winners were defeated 2-1 at Clanfield.

Jordan Cormack put the hosts in front after Fairford failed to clear a corner, but moments into the second half Nathan Gambling equalised.

Injuries forced the Cinder Lane side to use up all three of their subs by the hour mark and with 10 minutes left, Mark Threlfall won it for Clanfield.

Elsewhere, Southern League outfit Supermarine played out a drab 0-0 draw at North Greenford in their final pre-season friendly.