WILTSHIRE LEAGUE: Sports Club hold on for victory over Wroughton

PACE-SETTERS Supermarine Sports Club saw off Wroughton 3-2 at the Weir Field to maintain their grip on top spot in the Wiltshire League Premier Division, writes LEE CLARK.

Wroughton took the lead against the run of play in the first half as Supermarine struggled to deal with the difficult pitch.

Kieran Jennings equalised deep into the first half and doubled his tally soon after the restart, before Dave Rendle scored against his former club to give Supermarine breathing space.

Wroughton got a penalty with 10 minutes left when the goalkeeper brought down a Wroughton player, but despite the penalty being converted, the visitors held on.

The result ensured Supermarine maintained the five-point gap between themselves and Shrewton at the top of the table.

Supermarine manager Pete Milhench said: “We played them off of the park at times, but we were quite lucky not to go down to 10 men late on.

“Our goalkeeper probably should have been sent off for the foul for Wroughton’s penalty.”

Elsewhere in the division, mid-table Marlborough comfortably defeated strugglers Vale of Pewsey 3-0 at Elcot Lane as they extended their unbeaten run to five league games.

In Division 1, Intel increased the pressure on league leaders Melksham reserves with a 6-0 thrashing of Wroughton reserves.

Intel made a strong start as the in-form Craig Roberts put the hosts 1-0 up following fine wing play from Louis Wollen.

Roberts doubled the lead soon after, before Wollen got in on the act to give Intel a commanding 3-0 advantage going into the break.

Matt Gumm made it four when Roberts’ strike deflected in off him, before Roberts claimed his hat-trick.

John Horgan completed the rout and Intel boss Mark Allen was left delighted by the performance.

“After last week’s 11-goal thriller, it was nice to score six and not concede five,” he said.

Wootton Bassett Dev’s poor form continued as they were thrashed 4-1 at home by an in-form Malmesbury reserves.

Bassett started in creative mood but missed numerous good opportunities in the first 15 minutes, and they were made to pay soon after as Malmesbury went 2-0 ahead.

The in-form Lewis Petrie then halved Malmesbury’s advantage as he confidently converted a penalty for the hosts.

But Malmesbury capitalised on further poor defending from Bassett Dev to score twice more and secure a well-earned victory.


Comments are closed on this article.


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree