Second goal killed the game says Marine boss Webb

Swindon Advertiser: Dave Bampton goes up for a header during Saturday's win PICTURE BY JEFF YOUD Dave Bampton goes up for a header during Saturday's win PICTURE BY JEFF YOUD

BUOYANT boss Dave Webb admitted the timing of Swindon Supermarine’s second goal against Paulton was crucial after guiding his side to a third straight win in Southern League Division One South & West.

Marine triumphed 3-0 against their fellow promotion-chasers with the second effort coming courtesy of Ash Edenborough on the stroke of half-time following a long spell of pressure by Rovers.

However, Edenborough’s goal strengthened Marine’s position and when Josh Parsons slid in the third just short of the hour, the victory was effectively sealed.

Webb said: “I thought we started the game really well, in the first 10 minutes we looked really sharp seeing as we haven’t played for two weeks (due to two postponements).

“We got that early lead and probably should have had a second through Josh Parsons, and then, to be fair to them, they really did dominate us for the remainder of the half.

“It was another great bit of football and a lovely passing move to give us the 2-0 lead, which must have made it very difficult for them to come back out and play as well as they did for that half an hour.

“We played some good stuff but they did as well and they showed they are a good side, so it’s a big, big win.”

Marine will now host Guildford on New Year’s Day hoping to build on a Saturday result that will no doubt raised a few eyebrows.

“I think it (the 3-0 result) shows you the strength of the league,” continued Webb.

“People will look at that result as they did when Paulton got beat at home on Boxing Day (3-0 by Shortwood), but it was a tough game and the boys have come through it well after a lay-off.

“It’s just a question of how you keep it going. We need to keep ourselves fit and sharp. It was always risky with two weeks off but we’ve shown a great reaction.”

Elsewhere in the division, Cirencester moved back to the top of the table after coming from behind to win 3-1 at Bridgwater.

Ex-Supermarine forward Kyle Tooze gave Bridgwater an early lead but two second-half penalties by Lee Smith and an Ellis Dunton header in between handed the Centurions three points.

Chippenham were without a fixture in the Southern League Premier.


Comments are closed on this article.


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree