Get involved! Send photos, video, news & views. Text SWINDON NEWS to 80360 or email us
SWINDON TOWN: No Ngoo update after talks
MARK Cooper was unable to provide any update on the potential loan signing of Liverpool striker Michael Ngoo when he spoke to the local press on Thursday.
The Advertiser understands Swindon Town chairman Lee Power spent Wednesday talking to the Premier League club regarding the possibility of Ngoo joining the Robins but no deal is expected to be concluded before the weekend.
When asked by the Advertiser whether he could confirm that Ngoo was a target, however, Cooper said: “I’ve not been told that we’re signing Michael Ngoo. I’ve not been made aware of any developments. We have a list and I believe that list remains the same.”
Ngoo was signed by Liverpool from Southend in 2009 and has scored five senior goals in 23 appearances spread over loan stints with Hearts and Yeovil, without turning out for his parent club.
The forward enjoyed a prolific spell in the Liverpool under 18 side during the 2010/11 season, where he finished with 15 goals.
Since then he has been selected as part of the England squad for the Under 20 World Cup in Columbia in 2011.
In January last year Ngoo was sent out on loan to Scottish Premier League outfit Hearts where he made 16 appearances, scoring five goals.
Last summer he was given the chance in the Championship by joining Yeovil on a season-long deal, but was sent back to Anfield just three months into his stay at Huish Park where he made seven appearances, five as a substitute but failed to score.
He is seen by Town as a potential replacement for Nile Ranger, who is expected to see his contract cancelled by mutual consent imminently.
Ranger’s representatives and the PFA were due to meet with Swindon officials on Thursday but the club provided no update on the results of those discussions by the time the Advertiser went to press.
Meanwhile, Cooper is not expecting a great number of new faces to arrive at the County Ground in January following the acquisition of George Barker from Brighton & Hove Albion.
“I don’t think there will be a glut or an influx of new players - I think it may be one, maximum of two,” he said.
“We’ve spoken about a striker and everyone knows we may be light of a striker and maybe another defender.
“But, like I said last week, after the emergence of Rafael Branco, that may not be so much of an issue right now.
“We’ve also got Troy (Archibald-Henville) nearing full fitness so he comes into the mix as well.”
Comments are closed on this article.