Swindon AdvertiserOnuora reflects on life at Swindon and Gillingham (From Swindon Advertiser)

Get involved! Send photos, video, news & views. Text SWINDON NEWS to 80360 or email us

SWINDON TOWN: Onuora reflects on life at Swindon and Gillingham

Swindon Advertiser: Former Swindon Town and Gillingham striker Iffy Onuora has spoken to the Advertiser ahead of the clash between the sides this weekend Former Swindon Town and Gillingham striker Iffy Onuora has spoken to the Advertiser ahead of the clash between the sides this weekend

IFFY Onuora knows a thing or two about life at Swindon Town and Gillingham.

The 46-year-old has played for and managed both clubs and holds fond memories of his spells at the County Ground and the Priestfield Stadium, despite going through challenging periods on and off the pitch.

Now a regional coach with the Professional Footballers’ Association, Onuora served the Gills in two spells either side of his stint with Swindon, scoring 81 goals in 251 games in total.

Speaking to the Advertiser ahead of the clash between Town and Gillingham this weekend, the ex-striker reflected on happy times with his former employers.

Onuora joined Swindon in 1998, as one of Steve McMahon’s last signings for the Robins, but became a pawn in Town’s perennial struggle to avoid the drop from the Championship to League One.

“The money side had just started to struggle at Swindon, which is probably why they came for me. Wayne Allison had just gone - he’s a good friend of mine but he’d left to go to Huddersfield,” he said.

“They wanted a target man, I came and I feel I struck up a good partnership with George Ndah.

“On the pitch it was okay, I scored some goals, my family settled down in the south west which is where we stayed. From a family lifestyle point of view it was fine but from a football point of view it was okay but I think the club was probably starting to cut its cloth accordingly from the Premiership years and probably starting to decline.”

Onuora played under a variety of characters at Gillingham and Swindon, where he had to adapt to the methods of Tony Pulis, Steve McMahon, Jimmy Quinn and Peter Taylor - learning from each as he went.

“It was probably fairly similar to playing under Tony as he is now, he’s not changed an awful lot, he was always organised, a good coach, very strong-minded in how he wanted his teams to play and successful,” he said.

“I really liked Steve McMahon. He was a tough guy but I always admired him as a boyhood Everton fan, though I wasn’t too impressed when he went to Liverpool. He wasn’t there too long before Jimmy took over.

“Jimmy’s task was a little bit difficult. He had to manage senior players and was asked to slash the wage bill.

“Having been a manager now I’m loathe to criticise other managers because it is a very tough job but I’ve always taken something from every manager I’ve played under - good or bad - and that was the case.”

Perhaps surprisingly, given his strong links with both clubs, it took Onuora until the time he took on the managerial reins at Swindon to realise the hostility that exists between fans of Town and the Gills.

The animosity between supporters stemmed from an incident in March 1979, when a Gillingham fan punched and knocked out the referee during a game at Priestfield.

Two months later, a fracas took place in the tunnel at the County Ground with players of both teams involved and from then on there has been an underbelly of hatred beneath this most peculiar of ‘derbys’. Not that Onuora knew much about it.

“Funnily enough I didn’t know,” he said. “When I was at Swindon the first time there was still the hangover from the Premiership days and Gillingham were making their way up from what is now League Two.

“I only really became aware of it when I went from Swindon back to Gillingham and managing the team as well. I could never understand it. I think there was some origin in a previous game because certainly geography-wise there was no connection.”

Onuora still counts former Town teammates Scott Leitch, Frank Talia and Kerslake amongst his friends today, while he remains close to Ndah.

“Injuries were always a shame for George,” he said. “I was a big fan of him, not just as a guy but as a player. He never quite managed to string together a run of games and we never saw the best of him. He could have been a top, top player.”

As a manager Onuora had less than a season in charge of the Robins in 2005/06 as well as a caretaker spell in Kent.

“The first gig at Swindon was tough, taking over from Andy King,” he said. “It taught me a lot and was almost a crash course in management. Having to do a shorter term job at Gillingham was a bit more of a firefight.

“I thought they were very much a question of cutting my teeth in the coaching and managing world. They were tough but I enjoyed them.

“No one likes being sacked. I felt like I could have been given a longer chance as caretaker by Gillingham but they had Mark Stimpson which I understood.

“You feel a little bruised by those experiences but I’ve never been one to sit back and wallow and I take those experiences as very positive.”

Since then Onuora has gone on to manage Ethiopia - an experience he says will remain unforgettable.

“It was very, very different,” he said. “The facilities and resources were always a struggle. At Swindon we pretty much always knew where and how we were going to train. That could never be guaranteed in Ethiopia.

“It asks different questions of you as a person, when it’s not handed to you on a plate. You have to be a bit resourceful and shrewd. They were great lessons.

“The players were a delight and really, really gifted. They wouldn’t look out of place in higher divisions here.

“It was eye-opening in terms of the administration - finding somewhere to train, dealing with people who I guess weren’t used to dealing with professionals expecting a certain standard.”

While he could quite accurately be described as a journeyman as a manager and player, Onuora would not have had his career any other way.

“Contrary to many myths out there, the amount of money you can earn is limited to those at the very top of the game so money was never the driving force and I’m glad it wasn’t,” he said. “I like to think, although I’m not 100 per cent sure, that kids come into the game now with the same motivation.

“I hope they do because that’s all it is for me - the love of the game - and wanting to put something back into it. I managed to have a career which started late and got 15 years out of it.”

Onuora is a rarity amongst footballers in that he holds a degree in law but he stressed that a lack of paper qualifications does not mean his peers are any less intelligent than others.

“Football players’ backgrounds are such that the formal education is not available to them - the colleges and universities - they’re almost geared towards playing football,” he said.

“Don’t for one minute think that means they’re not clever in another way. They’re very sharp, they’re very bright.

“I often have this argument with other people that you underestimate players’ intelligence at your peril. They’re bright people, they don’t have formal education but that’s not to say they’re not bright.”

Comments (30)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:51am Fri 17 Jan 14

oo-r-ya? says...

A good article. Probably only printed because of the lack of news due to the spat between the club and the Adver but I for one would like more of these type of articles about players or anything to do with behind the scenes at the club. I seem to remember Iffy scoring a header on his début in front of us at QPR. A genuine bloke.
A good article. Probably only printed because of the lack of news due to the spat between the club and the Adver but I for one would like more of these type of articles about players or anything to do with behind the scenes at the club. I seem to remember Iffy scoring a header on his début in front of us at QPR. A genuine bloke. oo-r-ya?
  • Score: 6

7:40am Fri 17 Jan 14

Swindon1984 says...

Remember Iffy and Ndah's partnership well, although strike partnerships at town now seen to be a thing of the past.
Remember Iffy and Ndah's partnership well, although strike partnerships at town now seen to be a thing of the past. Swindon1984
  • Score: 3

7:42am Fri 17 Jan 14

stranglers says...

We are really struggling for news articles aren't we.
We are really struggling for news articles aren't we. stranglers
  • Score: -24

8:08am Fri 17 Jan 14

old town robin says...

oo-r-ya? wrote:
A good article. Probably only printed because of the lack of news due to the spat between the club and the Adver but I for one would like more of these type of articles about players or anything to do with behind the scenes at the club. I seem to remember Iffy scoring a header on his début in front of us at QPR. A genuine bloke.
Yes, i also enjoyed reading this article, didn't see too much of Iffy whilst he was here as at that time i was working abroad.
[quote][p][bold]oo-r-ya?[/bold] wrote: A good article. Probably only printed because of the lack of news due to the spat between the club and the Adver but I for one would like more of these type of articles about players or anything to do with behind the scenes at the club. I seem to remember Iffy scoring a header on his début in front of us at QPR. A genuine bloke.[/p][/quote]Yes, i also enjoyed reading this article, didn't see too much of Iffy whilst he was here as at that time i was working abroad. old town robin
  • Score: 1

8:12am Fri 17 Jan 14

stfc2012 says...

Sounds like a top man. I'm not really missing any town news to be honest. Nice to see other sports hitting the back pages too.
Sounds like a top man. I'm not really missing any town news to be honest. Nice to see other sports hitting the back pages too. stfc2012
  • Score: 1

8:17am Fri 17 Jan 14

The artist formerly known as Marmite Soldier says...

Pieces like this really play to Sam’s strengths, and one of the upsides of the ban is that it frees up space for more of them. Personally I’d rather read this than some non-story dressed up as news, when there really is no news to tell.

Keep it up Sam.
Pieces like this really play to Sam’s strengths, and one of the upsides of the ban is that it frees up space for more of them. Personally I’d rather read this than some non-story dressed up as news, when there really is no news to tell. Keep it up Sam. The artist formerly known as Marmite Soldier
  • Score: 7

8:18am Fri 17 Jan 14

mancrobin says...

oo-r-ya? wrote:
A good article. Probably only printed because of the lack of news due to the spat between the club and the Adver but I for one would like more of these type of articles about players or anything to do with behind the scenes at the club. I seem to remember Iffy scoring a header on his début in front of us at QPR. A genuine bloke.
Agree Oorya, I really enjoyed this and interesting to be reminded of the strange rivalry between the two clubs. I was in a pub in Gillingham recently and was a local was telling me the game on Saturday will 'cat A' from a policing point of view.

Will always remember getting on a train full of Gillingham fans for the final part of my journey to Selhurst Park for Play off replay. Scary moment!
[quote][p][bold]oo-r-ya?[/bold] wrote: A good article. Probably only printed because of the lack of news due to the spat between the club and the Adver but I for one would like more of these type of articles about players or anything to do with behind the scenes at the club. I seem to remember Iffy scoring a header on his début in front of us at QPR. A genuine bloke.[/p][/quote]Agree Oorya, I really enjoyed this and interesting to be reminded of the strange rivalry between the two clubs. I was in a pub in Gillingham recently and was a local was telling me the game on Saturday will 'cat A' from a policing point of view. Will always remember getting on a train full of Gillingham fans for the final part of my journey to Selhurst Park for Play off replay. Scary moment! mancrobin
  • Score: 3

8:44am Fri 17 Jan 14

Chish and Fips says...

Him and G Ndah were a good strong partnership, think Ndah went to Wolves after, but suffered a bad injury, never heard much more of him after that.
Him and G Ndah were a good strong partnership, think Ndah went to Wolves after, but suffered a bad injury, never heard much more of him after that. Chish and Fips
  • Score: 0

8:52am Fri 17 Jan 14

Lone Wolf says...

Ah Iffy - not the greatest striker we had but a real gentleman and (so it turns out) a scholar!
Ah Iffy - not the greatest striker we had but a real gentleman and (so it turns out) a scholar! Lone Wolf
  • Score: 1

8:52am Fri 17 Jan 14

you gots ta be kidding me says...

Always liked Iffy, good player and not a bad manager....
Always liked Iffy, good player and not a bad manager.... you gots ta be kidding me
  • Score: 2

9:21am Fri 17 Jan 14

port de soller says...

Good article from Iffy,real true story.as for news agree with all of you.Get the feeling all we will get is scrapings,and on a final note if the Team perform as they did on Tuesday it will be a real hammering for the Town.
let´s hope thy can pick themselves up???????
Good article from Iffy,real true story.as for news agree with all of you.Get the feeling all we will get is scrapings,and on a final note if the Team perform as they did on Tuesday it will be a real hammering for the Town. let´s hope thy can pick themselves up??????? port de soller
  • Score: 2

9:39am Fri 17 Jan 14

the don69 says...

Come on Sam I know you and the Adver are persona non grata! but has it come to digging out old stuff like this? God help us! lol!!!!!!!!
Come on Sam I know you and the Adver are persona non grata! but has it come to digging out old stuff like this? God help us! lol!!!!!!!! the don69
  • Score: 10

11:48am Fri 17 Jan 14

tifosi says...

stranglers wrote:
We are really struggling for news articles aren't we.
This is fascinating.... have you bothered to read it?
[quote][p][bold]stranglers[/bold] wrote: We are really struggling for news articles aren't we.[/p][/quote]This is fascinating.... have you bothered to read it? tifosi
  • Score: 1

12:07pm Fri 17 Jan 14

Glosteroldboy says...

Has Power stopped Rebel from doing the Prediction leagues as well?

Or have i missed a thread..
Has Power stopped Rebel from doing the Prediction leagues as well? Or have i missed a thread.. Glosteroldboy
  • Score: 1

3:14pm Fri 17 Jan 14

readie57 says...

Met Iffy some years ago on holiday,and came across as a real nice guy.Then some years later at a Q&A night at the County Ground,he remembered me.Sound bloke
Met Iffy some years ago on holiday,and came across as a real nice guy.Then some years later at a Q&A night at the County Ground,he remembered me.Sound bloke readie57
  • Score: 2

3:39pm Fri 17 Jan 14

Oi Den! says...

Good bloke shat upon at STFC with the Ron Atkinson circus.

Interesting article but it does include a gross exaggeration. The ref wasn't knocked out in that game at Gillingham in 1979. The assailant was standing very near me. He was an innocuous looking silver haired chap in his 50s, wearing what used to be called a windcheater. He clambered over the barrier, made his way on to the pitch and landed a couple of blows that couldn't have knocked anyone over, let alone knocked anyone out.
Good bloke shat upon at STFC with the Ron Atkinson circus. Interesting article but it does include a gross exaggeration. The ref wasn't knocked out in that game at Gillingham in 1979. The assailant was standing very near me. He was an innocuous looking silver haired chap in his 50s, wearing what used to be called a windcheater. He clambered over the barrier, made his way on to the pitch and landed a couple of blows that couldn't have knocked anyone over, let alone knocked anyone out. Oi Den!
  • Score: 0

3:51pm Fri 17 Jan 14

you gots ta be kidding me says...

Oi Den! wrote:
Good bloke shat upon at STFC with the Ron Atkinson circus. Interesting article but it does include a gross exaggeration. The ref wasn't knocked out in that game at Gillingham in 1979. The assailant was standing very near me. He was an innocuous looking silver haired chap in his 50s, wearing what used to be called a windcheater. He clambered over the barrier, made his way on to the pitch and landed a couple of blows that couldn't have knocked anyone over, let alone knocked anyone out.
Ha ha you are right with that Den
[quote][p][bold]Oi Den![/bold] wrote: Good bloke shat upon at STFC with the Ron Atkinson circus. Interesting article but it does include a gross exaggeration. The ref wasn't knocked out in that game at Gillingham in 1979. The assailant was standing very near me. He was an innocuous looking silver haired chap in his 50s, wearing what used to be called a windcheater. He clambered over the barrier, made his way on to the pitch and landed a couple of blows that couldn't have knocked anyone over, let alone knocked anyone out.[/p][/quote]Ha ha you are right with that Den you gots ta be kidding me
  • Score: 0

3:51pm Fri 17 Jan 14

The artist formerly known as Marmite Soldier says...

Oi Den! wrote:
Good bloke shat upon at STFC with the Ron Atkinson circus.

Interesting article but it does include a gross exaggeration. The ref wasn't knocked out in that game at Gillingham in 1979. The assailant was standing very near me. He was an innocuous looking silver haired chap in his 50s, wearing what used to be called a windcheater. He clambered over the barrier, made his way on to the pitch and landed a couple of blows that couldn't have knocked anyone over, let alone knocked anyone out.
I agree Den, that was pretty much the way I remembered it. The ref was more surprised than injured, and I remember thinking a bloke of that age was not the type I expected to do such a thing.

And now I am an 'innocuous looking grey haired chap in my 50's' I know what I'm talking about!

The Gillingham 'rivalry' is something that should have stopped years ago. It not reciprocated by Town supporters and it's about time the Gills realised that.

A one way 'feud' is a pointless exercise.
[quote][p][bold]Oi Den![/bold] wrote: Good bloke shat upon at STFC with the Ron Atkinson circus. Interesting article but it does include a gross exaggeration. The ref wasn't knocked out in that game at Gillingham in 1979. The assailant was standing very near me. He was an innocuous looking silver haired chap in his 50s, wearing what used to be called a windcheater. He clambered over the barrier, made his way on to the pitch and landed a couple of blows that couldn't have knocked anyone over, let alone knocked anyone out.[/p][/quote]I agree Den, that was pretty much the way I remembered it. The ref was more surprised than injured, and I remember thinking a bloke of that age was not the type I expected to do such a thing. And now I am an 'innocuous looking grey haired chap in my 50's' I know what I'm talking about! The Gillingham 'rivalry' is something that should have stopped years ago. It not reciprocated by Town supporters and it's about time the Gills realised that. A one way 'feud' is a pointless exercise. The artist formerly known as Marmite Soldier
  • Score: 3

4:37pm Fri 17 Jan 14

the don69 says...

Off topic chaps, Still waiting for the elusive Sangita Shah to give us the long lost running commentary on the audit! it's taking her longer to write,than Leo Tolstoy's war and peace! any time this year Sangita? or have you got writers block?????
Off topic chaps, Still waiting for the elusive Sangita Shah to give us the long lost running commentary on the audit! it's taking her longer to write,than Leo Tolstoy's war and peace! any time this year Sangita? or have you got writers block????? the don69
  • Score: 2

5:40pm Fri 17 Jan 14

stranglers says...

tifosi wrote:
stranglers wrote:
We are really struggling for news articles aren't we.
This is fascinating.... have you bothered to read it?
Riveting, had a job to drag myself away.
[quote][p][bold]tifosi[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stranglers[/bold] wrote: We are really struggling for news articles aren't we.[/p][/quote]This is fascinating.... have you bothered to read it?[/p][/quote]Riveting, had a job to drag myself away. stranglers
  • Score: 2

7:20pm Fri 17 Jan 14

Rebel_phish says...

Off Topic.
PREDICTIONS LEAGUE

Sam hasn't posted the page for the Predictions League details for the Gillingham match yet.

I have put the questions on the questions for tomorrows match on the Stevenage thread. Post your predictions there for the time being. Hopefully Sam will have the page up tomorrow.

Rebel.
Off Topic. PREDICTIONS LEAGUE Sam hasn't posted the page for the Predictions League details for the Gillingham match yet. I have put the questions on the questions for tomorrows match on the Stevenage thread. Post your predictions there for the time being. Hopefully Sam will have the page up tomorrow. Rebel. Rebel_phish
  • Score: 0

7:22pm Fri 17 Jan 14

melnursesear. says...

Nice bloke ..Iffy..Good lower league striker...didn,t shirk his responsibilities...
Nice bloke ..Iffy..Good lower league striker...didn,t shirk his responsibilities... melnursesear.
  • Score: 1

7:26pm Fri 17 Jan 14

Rebel_phish says...

Off Topic.
PREDICTIONS LEAGUE

Below is the link to the Stevenage page for you to enter your predictions to the Gills match

http://www.thisisswi
ndontownfc.co.uk/fix
tures_and_results/ne
ws_articles/10931913
.PREDICTIONS_LEAGUE_
_Stevenage_v_Swindon
_Town/?action=succes
s
Off Topic. PREDICTIONS LEAGUE Below is the link to the Stevenage page for you to enter your predictions to the Gills match http://www.thisisswi ndontownfc.co.uk/fix tures_and_results/ne ws_articles/10931913 .PREDICTIONS_LEAGUE_ _Stevenage_v_Swindon _Town/?action=succes s Rebel_phish
  • Score: 0

7:42pm Fri 17 Jan 14

trumpton ultra gl5 says...

Respect to Iffy ,came & applauded us at Ashton Gate when most of our players legged it for the tunnel.He fronted up on that day of relagation ,a true gent.
Respect to Iffy ,came & applauded us at Ashton Gate when most of our players legged it for the tunnel.He fronted up on that day of relagation ,a true gent. trumpton ultra gl5
  • Score: 1

8:27pm Fri 17 Jan 14

Steve. Brentford says...

Oi Den! wrote:
Good bloke shat upon at STFC with the Ron Atkinson circus.

Interesting article but it does include a gross exaggeration. The ref wasn't knocked out in that game at Gillingham in 1979. The assailant was standing very near me. He was an innocuous looking silver haired chap in his 50s, wearing what used to be called a windcheater. He clambered over the barrier, made his way on to the pitch and landed a couple of blows that couldn't have knocked anyone over, let alone knocked anyone out.
I Know the grudges between our fans and the pikeys really kicked into gear when we, i mean Town fans had a right to do at a pub near to their ground in which they were drinking, cant remember what year that was but others might as we had a lot of fans there that day.
[quote][p][bold]Oi Den![/bold] wrote: Good bloke shat upon at STFC with the Ron Atkinson circus. Interesting article but it does include a gross exaggeration. The ref wasn't knocked out in that game at Gillingham in 1979. The assailant was standing very near me. He was an innocuous looking silver haired chap in his 50s, wearing what used to be called a windcheater. He clambered over the barrier, made his way on to the pitch and landed a couple of blows that couldn't have knocked anyone over, let alone knocked anyone out.[/p][/quote]I Know the grudges between our fans and the pikeys really kicked into gear when we, i mean Town fans had a right to do at a pub near to their ground in which they were drinking, cant remember what year that was but others might as we had a lot of fans there that day. Steve. Brentford
  • Score: 3

9:25pm Fri 17 Jan 14

Oi Den! says...

Steve. Brentford wrote:
Oi Den! wrote:
Good bloke shat upon at STFC with the Ron Atkinson circus.

Interesting article but it does include a gross exaggeration. The ref wasn't knocked out in that game at Gillingham in 1979. The assailant was standing very near me. He was an innocuous looking silver haired chap in his 50s, wearing what used to be called a windcheater. He clambered over the barrier, made his way on to the pitch and landed a couple of blows that couldn't have knocked anyone over, let alone knocked anyone out.
I Know the grudges between our fans and the pikeys really kicked into gear when we, i mean Town fans had a right to do at a pub near to their ground in which they were drinking, cant remember what year that was but others might as we had a lot of fans there that day.
Steve, for the Gillingham fans it definitely started with that game at their place in 79. They had "I hate Swindon" and "I hate McHale" tee shirts printed soon after it. Seemed a bit over the top to me.
[quote][p][bold]Steve. Brentford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Oi Den![/bold] wrote: Good bloke shat upon at STFC with the Ron Atkinson circus. Interesting article but it does include a gross exaggeration. The ref wasn't knocked out in that game at Gillingham in 1979. The assailant was standing very near me. He was an innocuous looking silver haired chap in his 50s, wearing what used to be called a windcheater. He clambered over the barrier, made his way on to the pitch and landed a couple of blows that couldn't have knocked anyone over, let alone knocked anyone out.[/p][/quote]I Know the grudges between our fans and the pikeys really kicked into gear when we, i mean Town fans had a right to do at a pub near to their ground in which they were drinking, cant remember what year that was but others might as we had a lot of fans there that day.[/p][/quote]Steve, for the Gillingham fans it definitely started with that game at their place in 79. They had "I hate Swindon" and "I hate McHale" tee shirts printed soon after it. Seemed a bit over the top to me. Oi Den!
  • Score: 2

1:18am Sat 18 Jan 14

Steve. Brentford says...

Oi Den! wrote:
Steve. Brentford wrote:
Oi Den! wrote:
Good bloke shat upon at STFC with the Ron Atkinson circus.

Interesting article but it does include a gross exaggeration. The ref wasn't knocked out in that game at Gillingham in 1979. The assailant was standing very near me. He was an innocuous looking silver haired chap in his 50s, wearing what used to be called a windcheater. He clambered over the barrier, made his way on to the pitch and landed a couple of blows that couldn't have knocked anyone over, let alone knocked anyone out.
I Know the grudges between our fans and the pikeys really kicked into gear when we, i mean Town fans had a right to do at a pub near to their ground in which they were drinking, cant remember what year that was but others might as we had a lot of fans there that day.
Steve, for the Gillingham fans it definitely started with that game at their place in 79. They had "I hate Swindon" and "I hate McHale" tee shirts printed soon after it. Seemed a bit over the top to me.
That was right about the time my ol man done one and i had to move to London to look after my siblings although for many years i would come back for weeks or months,anyway that was probably why i cant remember that particular game but i do remember the hostilities between us from around that time but remember the pub incident the most due to the extreme violence that occurred. I also think they dont have enough local rivalry so we are convenient on that score.
[quote][p][bold]Oi Den![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Steve. Brentford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Oi Den![/bold] wrote: Good bloke shat upon at STFC with the Ron Atkinson circus. Interesting article but it does include a gross exaggeration. The ref wasn't knocked out in that game at Gillingham in 1979. The assailant was standing very near me. He was an innocuous looking silver haired chap in his 50s, wearing what used to be called a windcheater. He clambered over the barrier, made his way on to the pitch and landed a couple of blows that couldn't have knocked anyone over, let alone knocked anyone out.[/p][/quote]I Know the grudges between our fans and the pikeys really kicked into gear when we, i mean Town fans had a right to do at a pub near to their ground in which they were drinking, cant remember what year that was but others might as we had a lot of fans there that day.[/p][/quote]Steve, for the Gillingham fans it definitely started with that game at their place in 79. They had "I hate Swindon" and "I hate McHale" tee shirts printed soon after it. Seemed a bit over the top to me.[/p][/quote]That was right about the time my ol man done one and i had to move to London to look after my siblings although for many years i would come back for weeks or months,anyway that was probably why i cant remember that particular game but i do remember the hostilities between us from around that time but remember the pub incident the most due to the extreme violence that occurred. I also think they dont have enough local rivalry so we are convenient on that score. Steve. Brentford
  • Score: 1

11:13am Sat 18 Jan 14

Oi Den! says...

Understood Steve. You're probably right about the geography.
Understood Steve. You're probably right about the geography. Oi Den!
  • Score: 0

11:24am Sat 18 Jan 14

itslove says...

Iffy Onoura and George Ndah both decent players . We have had so many . Not the trash that play for us today . If you pick all time Swindon 11 none of todays players would get in the top 50 . What happened to the great personalitys we use to attract here . Cooper and Lee Power are not the ones to get this club motoring . They might as well leave today , lets build again .
Iffy Onoura and George Ndah both decent players . We have had so many . Not the trash that play for us today . If you pick all time Swindon 11 none of todays players would get in the top 50 . What happened to the great personalitys we use to attract here . Cooper and Lee Power are not the ones to get this club motoring . They might as well leave today , lets build again . itslove
  • Score: 1

11:40am Sat 18 Jan 14

bushwacker says...

Steve. Brentford wrote:
Oi Den! wrote:
Steve. Brentford wrote:
Oi Den! wrote:
Good bloke shat upon at STFC with the Ron Atkinson circus.

Interesting article but it does include a gross exaggeration. The ref wasn't knocked out in that game at Gillingham in 1979. The assailant was standing very near me. He was an innocuous looking silver haired chap in his 50s, wearing what used to be called a windcheater. He clambered over the barrier, made his way on to the pitch and landed a couple of blows that couldn't have knocked anyone over, let alone knocked anyone out.
I Know the grudges between our fans and the pikeys really kicked into gear when we, i mean Town fans had a right to do at a pub near to their ground in which they were drinking, cant remember what year that was but others might as we had a lot of fans there that day.
Steve, for the Gillingham fans it definitely started with that game at their place in 79. They had "I hate Swindon" and "I hate McHale" tee shirts printed soon after it. Seemed a bit over the top to me.
That was right about the time my ol man done one and i had to move to London to look after my siblings although for many years i would come back for weeks or months,anyway that was probably why i cant remember that particular game but i do remember the hostilities between us from around that time but remember the pub incident the most due to the extreme violence that occurred. I also think they dont have enough local rivalry so we are convenient on that score.
1987, cant remember the pub name but the scaffolding was put through the windows and doors by Swindon fans. it was the first leg of the play off under Macari.
In 1979, late in the season, Gillingham came down here lying 3rd/4th and Swindon in 5th and it was only a few weeks after the game at Gillingham.
Two or three Gills players were arrested for assaulting Swindon coach Wilf Tranter at the final whistle. seem to remember a couple of players sent off prior to this incident.
At Selhurst Park, their were more incidents involving fans on trains going to crystal Palace, I was living in London at the time and told about 50 or so Swindon fans to get the train to Norwood junction instead of crystal palace, as we were all in the station, the crystal palace train was rocking with fights on nearly every carriage, and all of us on the Norwood junction train were looking on, safe!
a feud between two sides which was started by the players!
[quote][p][bold]Steve. Brentford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Oi Den![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Steve. Brentford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Oi Den![/bold] wrote: Good bloke shat upon at STFC with the Ron Atkinson circus. Interesting article but it does include a gross exaggeration. The ref wasn't knocked out in that game at Gillingham in 1979. The assailant was standing very near me. He was an innocuous looking silver haired chap in his 50s, wearing what used to be called a windcheater. He clambered over the barrier, made his way on to the pitch and landed a couple of blows that couldn't have knocked anyone over, let alone knocked anyone out.[/p][/quote]I Know the grudges between our fans and the pikeys really kicked into gear when we, i mean Town fans had a right to do at a pub near to their ground in which they were drinking, cant remember what year that was but others might as we had a lot of fans there that day.[/p][/quote]Steve, for the Gillingham fans it definitely started with that game at their place in 79. They had "I hate Swindon" and "I hate McHale" tee shirts printed soon after it. Seemed a bit over the top to me.[/p][/quote]That was right about the time my ol man done one and i had to move to London to look after my siblings although for many years i would come back for weeks or months,anyway that was probably why i cant remember that particular game but i do remember the hostilities between us from around that time but remember the pub incident the most due to the extreme violence that occurred. I also think they dont have enough local rivalry so we are convenient on that score.[/p][/quote]1987, cant remember the pub name but the scaffolding was put through the windows and doors by Swindon fans. it was the first leg of the play off under Macari. In 1979, late in the season, Gillingham came down here lying 3rd/4th and Swindon in 5th and it was only a few weeks after the game at Gillingham. Two or three Gills players were arrested for assaulting Swindon coach Wilf Tranter at the final whistle. seem to remember a couple of players sent off prior to this incident. At Selhurst Park, their were more incidents involving fans on trains going to crystal Palace, I was living in London at the time and told about 50 or so Swindon fans to get the train to Norwood junction instead of crystal palace, as we were all in the station, the crystal palace train was rocking with fights on nearly every carriage, and all of us on the Norwood junction train were looking on, safe! a feud between two sides which was started by the players! bushwacker
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree