SWINDON TOWN: Town end ban on Advertiser

Swindon Advertiser: The Advertiser will now be allowed back into press conferences at the County Ground after Swindon Town owner Lee Power relaxed his ban on the paper The Advertiser will now be allowed back into press conferences at the County Ground after Swindon Town owner Lee Power relaxed his ban on the paper

SWINDON Town chairman Lee Power has lifted the ban on the Swindon Advertiser reporting on the club after a meeting with editor Gary Lawrence today.

Power banned the Advertiser last Monday after reporter Sam Morshead Tweeted the news that controversial striker Nile Ranger was in the team to play Peterborough an hour and 45 minutes before kick-off.

Power said Town manager Mark Cooper was told by Peterborough counterpart Darren Ferguson that he had changed his team after being told of the reporter’s Tweet.

But the news had already been leaked by fans who posted a picture on Twitter of Ranger’s shirt while on a changing room tour 45 minutes earlier. The player himself also used social media to say he was in the team.

Coverage of the club has been restricted with Morshead not invited to press conferences before games or the press box during them. Club officials and players were told not to answer his questions afterwards.

Lawrence met Power and director Sangita Shah at the County Ground to discuss lifting the ban.

Lawrence said: “We had a full and frank exchange and Lee made it clear how he felt about the Tweet and other issues around reporting of the club. I was able to explain our position and make a few points about what we do and why we do it.

“It was helpful and I was able to appreciate why Lee was upset and I hope he was able to understand that the paper, and Sam, are among the club’s most fervent backers in this town but we have a job to do and as long as we do it responsibly we have to be free to get on with it. It is clear that Lee wants the best for the team, the club and its supporters. We agreed that lifting this ban and moving on is the best way forward for the club as a whole and the fans.

“Sam works incredibly hard to provide the best and most in-depth coverage of the team and he’ll continue to do that. I’m grateful for Lee making time to sort this out and now we get on with our work.”

Comments (35)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:00pm Mon 20 Jan 14

you gots ta be kidding me says...

Sensible outcome
Sensible outcome you gots ta be kidding me

6:10pm Mon 20 Jan 14

smirg kcab says...

Thought s.m would have got the boot, not the first second or third he's wound people up.
Only a matter of time till he hangs himself again
Thought s.m would have got the boot, not the first second or third he's wound people up. Only a matter of time till he hangs himself again smirg kcab

6:10pm Mon 20 Jan 14

Old-Stager, Hilperton says...

The first bit of good news for a few weeks I think.
The first bit of good news for a few weeks I think. Old-Stager, Hilperton

6:15pm Mon 20 Jan 14

Cleuso says...

Storm, teacup, stirred up by some
Storm, teacup, stirred up by some Cleuso

6:20pm Mon 20 Jan 14

mancrobin says...

smirg kcab wrote:
Thought s.m would have got the boot, not the first second or third he's wound people up.
Only a matter of time till he hangs himself again
Grim, perhaps you can give him some advice in tact and diplomacy.
[quote][p][bold]smirg kcab[/bold] wrote: Thought s.m would have got the boot, not the first second or third he's wound people up. Only a matter of time till he hangs himself again[/p][/quote]Grim, perhaps you can give him some advice in tact and diplomacy. mancrobin

6:27pm Mon 20 Jan 14

lifelong red says...

Common sense prevails
Common sense prevails lifelong red

6:33pm Mon 20 Jan 14

smirg kcab says...

mancrobin wrote:
smirg kcab wrote:
Thought s.m would have got the boot, not the first second or third he's wound people up.
Only a matter of time till he hangs himself again
Grim, perhaps you can give him some advice in tact and diplomacy.
Ok for him to take the piiss out of ill people tho?
Short memory manc.
Think he should have got the boot for saying it a few weeks ago.
[quote][p][bold]mancrobin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]smirg kcab[/bold] wrote: Thought s.m would have got the boot, not the first second or third he's wound people up. Only a matter of time till he hangs himself again[/p][/quote]Grim, perhaps you can give him some advice in tact and diplomacy.[/p][/quote]Ok for him to take the piiss out of ill people tho? Short memory manc. Think he should have got the boot for saying it a few weeks ago. smirg kcab

6:40pm Mon 20 Jan 14

harley red says...

As long as the press can print what's going on and not what the **** power says they can print . POWER P&£s OFF
As long as the press can print what's going on and not what the **** power says they can print . POWER P&£s OFF harley red

6:53pm Mon 20 Jan 14

Morsey says...

Of course, it would be possible to con the opposing manager by leaking incorrect team selections if it plays such a considerable part in proceedings ... load of cr@p, this whole episode!
Of course, it would be possible to con the opposing manager by leaking incorrect team selections if it plays such a considerable part in proceedings ... load of cr@p, this whole episode! Morsey

7:06pm Mon 20 Jan 14

mrwoo says...

haha Power is a big girl!
haha Power is a big girl! mrwoo

7:10pm Mon 20 Jan 14

Oi Den! says...

smirg kcab wrote:
mancrobin wrote:
smirg kcab wrote:
Thought s.m would have got the boot, not the first second or third he's wound people up.
Only a matter of time till he hangs himself again
Grim, perhaps you can give him some advice in tact and diplomacy.
Ok for him to take the piiss out of ill people tho?
Short memory manc.
Think he should have got the boot for saying it a few weeks ago.
Grim, I reckon you're a tad harsh on young Sam. He made a bad error in using that phrase but I don't think for a minute he meant it in the way you suggest. If he has a fault, it's his tendency to think his work needs peppering with metaphors, which can ruin otherwise good stuff. That's what happened on the occasion you're referring to. That time it was clearly offensive, though not intentionally I'm sure. An apology would have been appropriate though.

Sam Morshead will be a Swindon Town supporter long after Lee Power has gone.

Now Sam, what about asking about the latest broken promise - to deliver the audit commentary? After all, Sangita Shah was happy to use the Adver to provide a fanfare for her commentary.

Come to think of it, we don't really need an audit report at all. A simple balance sheet at three different dates would do: the day Black left, the day McCrory left, and now. That should take just a few minutes and fit nicely on one piece of A4.
[quote][p][bold]smirg kcab[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mancrobin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]smirg kcab[/bold] wrote: Thought s.m would have got the boot, not the first second or third he's wound people up. Only a matter of time till he hangs himself again[/p][/quote]Grim, perhaps you can give him some advice in tact and diplomacy.[/p][/quote]Ok for him to take the piiss out of ill people tho? Short memory manc. Think he should have got the boot for saying it a few weeks ago.[/p][/quote]Grim, I reckon you're a tad harsh on young Sam. He made a bad error in using that phrase but I don't think for a minute he meant it in the way you suggest. If he has a fault, it's his tendency to think his work needs peppering with metaphors, which can ruin otherwise good stuff. That's what happened on the occasion you're referring to. That time it was clearly offensive, though not intentionally I'm sure. An apology would have been appropriate though. Sam Morshead will be a Swindon Town supporter long after Lee Power has gone. Now Sam, what about asking about the latest broken promise - to deliver the audit commentary? After all, Sangita Shah was happy to use the Adver to provide a fanfare for her commentary. Come to think of it, we don't really need an audit report at all. A simple balance sheet at three different dates would do: the day Black left, the day McCrory left, and now. That should take just a few minutes and fit nicely on one piece of A4. Oi Den!

7:11pm Mon 20 Jan 14

mancrobin says...

smirg kcab wrote:
mancrobin wrote:
smirg kcab wrote:
Thought s.m would have got the boot, not the first second or third he's wound people up.
Only a matter of time till he hangs himself again
Grim, perhaps you can give him some advice in tact and diplomacy.
Ok for him to take the piiss out of ill people tho?
Short memory manc.
Think he should have got the boot for saying it a few weeks ago.
I don't know what you're referring to Grim?
[quote][p][bold]smirg kcab[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mancrobin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]smirg kcab[/bold] wrote: Thought s.m would have got the boot, not the first second or third he's wound people up. Only a matter of time till he hangs himself again[/p][/quote]Grim, perhaps you can give him some advice in tact and diplomacy.[/p][/quote]Ok for him to take the piiss out of ill people tho? Short memory manc. Think he should have got the boot for saying it a few weeks ago.[/p][/quote]I don't know what you're referring to Grim? mancrobin

7:33pm Mon 20 Jan 14

MidlandRobin says...

Good news, silly thing in the first place!

Now, next article for tomorrow morning 'Swindon send Hall back to Spurs' that would be dreaming xD

MR
Good news, silly thing in the first place! Now, next article for tomorrow morning 'Swindon send Hall back to Spurs' that would be dreaming xD MR MidlandRobin

7:49pm Mon 20 Jan 14

Di kanny oh says...

At last sense prevails storm in a tea cup and taken way too far. Now lets concentrate on sorting this powder puff team out and find some men to play in it.
At last sense prevails storm in a tea cup and taken way too far. Now lets concentrate on sorting this powder puff team out and find some men to play in it. Di kanny oh

8:09pm Mon 20 Jan 14

smirg kcab says...

Oi Den! wrote:
smirg kcab wrote:
mancrobin wrote:
smirg kcab wrote:
Thought s.m would have got the boot, not the first second or third he's wound people up.
Only a matter of time till he hangs himself again
Grim, perhaps you can give him some advice in tact and diplomacy.
Ok for him to take the piiss out of ill people tho?
Short memory manc.
Think he should have got the boot for saying it a few weeks ago.
Grim, I reckon you're a tad harsh on young Sam. He made a bad error in using that phrase but I don't think for a minute he meant it in the way you suggest. If he has a fault, it's his tendency to think his work needs peppering with metaphors, which can ruin otherwise good stuff. That's what happened on the occasion you're referring to. That time it was clearly offensive, though not intentionally I'm sure. An apology would have been appropriate though.

Sam Morshead will be a Swindon Town supporter long after Lee Power has gone.

Now Sam, what about asking about the latest broken promise - to deliver the audit commentary? After all, Sangita Shah was happy to use the Adver to provide a fanfare for her commentary.

Come to think of it, we don't really need an audit report at all. A simple balance sheet at three different dates would do: the day Black left, the day McCrory left, and now. That should take just a few minutes and fit nicely on one piece of A4.
My opinion of him won't change but I do respect yours (as always).
As said many times before he tried to split town fans with the mcormick saga.
I don't think it's harsh.over 300 post all threatening each other, also the main thing that should have been addressed was mcormick was never going to get a deal with our club, and this could have damaged the club to the core due to his pathetic reporting of the situation.
As I said before its only a matter of time till he hangs himself again
[quote][p][bold]Oi Den![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]smirg kcab[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mancrobin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]smirg kcab[/bold] wrote: Thought s.m would have got the boot, not the first second or third he's wound people up. Only a matter of time till he hangs himself again[/p][/quote]Grim, perhaps you can give him some advice in tact and diplomacy.[/p][/quote]Ok for him to take the piiss out of ill people tho? Short memory manc. Think he should have got the boot for saying it a few weeks ago.[/p][/quote]Grim, I reckon you're a tad harsh on young Sam. He made a bad error in using that phrase but I don't think for a minute he meant it in the way you suggest. If he has a fault, it's his tendency to think his work needs peppering with metaphors, which can ruin otherwise good stuff. That's what happened on the occasion you're referring to. That time it was clearly offensive, though not intentionally I'm sure. An apology would have been appropriate though. Sam Morshead will be a Swindon Town supporter long after Lee Power has gone. Now Sam, what about asking about the latest broken promise - to deliver the audit commentary? After all, Sangita Shah was happy to use the Adver to provide a fanfare for her commentary. Come to think of it, we don't really need an audit report at all. A simple balance sheet at three different dates would do: the day Black left, the day McCrory left, and now. That should take just a few minutes and fit nicely on one piece of A4.[/p][/quote]My opinion of him won't change but I do respect yours (as always). As said many times before he tried to split town fans with the mcormick saga. I don't think it's harsh.over 300 post all threatening each other, also the main thing that should have been addressed was mcormick was never going to get a deal with our club, and this could have damaged the club to the core due to his pathetic reporting of the situation. As I said before its only a matter of time till he hangs himself again smirg kcab

8:10pm Mon 20 Jan 14

Robinonfire says...

Good Sams back in town.
Good Sams back in town. Robinonfire

8:32pm Mon 20 Jan 14

didntshedoswell says...

melissafdcoveney wrote:
my classmate's aunt makes 84 dollars/hr on the laptop . She has been fired from work for eight months but last month her pay was 21890 dollars just working on the laptop for a few hours. more tips here ===========>>&
gt;>
❥❥❥❥❥❥


www.jobs39.com
❥❥❥❥❥❥

wow

i'm going to quit my job tomorrow
[quote][p][bold]melissafdcoveney[/bold] wrote: my classmate's aunt makes 84 dollars/hr on the laptop . She has been fired from work for eight months but last month her pay was 21890 dollars just working on the laptop for a few hours. more tips here ===========>>& gt;> ❥❥❥❥❥❥ � � www.jobs39.com ❥❥❥❥❥❥ � �[/p][/quote]wow i'm going to quit my job tomorrow didntshedoswell

8:38pm Mon 20 Jan 14

jayden says...

didntshedoswell wrote:
melissafdcoveney wrote:
my classmate's aunt makes 84 dollars/hr on the laptop . She has been fired from work for eight months but last month her pay was 21890 dollars just working on the laptop for a few hours. more tips here ===========>>&
amp;
gt;>
❥❥❥❥❥❥

��

www.jobs39.com
❥❥❥❥❥❥

��
wow

i'm going to quit my job tomorrow
Done deal
[quote][p][bold]didntshedoswell[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]melissafdcoveney[/bold] wrote: my classmate's aunt makes 84 dollars/hr on the laptop . She has been fired from work for eight months but last month her pay was 21890 dollars just working on the laptop for a few hours. more tips here ===========>>& amp; gt;> ❥❥❥❥❥❥ � �� � www.jobs39.com ❥❥❥❥❥❥ � �� �[/p][/quote]wow i'm going to quit my job tomorrow[/p][/quote]Done deal jayden

8:55pm Mon 20 Jan 14

Oi Den! says...

Fair enough grim. I know you have strong views on him. I didn't expect my post to change your mind!
Fair enough grim. I know you have strong views on him. I didn't expect my post to change your mind! Oi Den!

9:44pm Mon 20 Jan 14

stfcdod says...

harley red wrote:
As long as the press can print what's going on and not what the **** power says they can print . POWER P&£s OFF
Boy, are you one sad individual.
[quote][p][bold]harley red[/bold] wrote: As long as the press can print what's going on and not what the **** power says they can print . POWER P&£s OFF[/p][/quote]Boy, are you one sad individual. stfcdod

10:13pm Mon 20 Jan 14

The Jockster says...

smirg kcab wrote:
Oi Den! wrote:
smirg kcab wrote:
mancrobin wrote:
smirg kcab wrote:
Thought s.m would have got the boot, not the first second or third he's wound people up.
Only a matter of time till he hangs himself again
Grim, perhaps you can give him some advice in tact and diplomacy.
Ok for him to take the piiss out of ill people tho?
Short memory manc.
Think he should have got the boot for saying it a few weeks ago.
Grim, I reckon you're a tad harsh on young Sam. He made a bad error in using that phrase but I don't think for a minute he meant it in the way you suggest. If he has a fault, it's his tendency to think his work needs peppering with metaphors, which can ruin otherwise good stuff. That's what happened on the occasion you're referring to. That time it was clearly offensive, though not intentionally I'm sure. An apology would have been appropriate though.

Sam Morshead will be a Swindon Town supporter long after Lee Power has gone.

Now Sam, what about asking about the latest broken promise - to deliver the audit commentary? After all, Sangita Shah was happy to use the Adver to provide a fanfare for her commentary.

Come to think of it, we don't really need an audit report at all. A simple balance sheet at three different dates would do: the day Black left, the day McCrory left, and now. That should take just a few minutes and fit nicely on one piece of A4.
My opinion of him won't change but I do respect yours (as always).
As said many times before he tried to split town fans with the mcormick saga.
I don't think it's harsh.over 300 post all threatening each other, also the main thing that should have been addressed was mcormick was never going to get a deal with our club, and this could have damaged the club to the core due to his pathetic reporting of the situation.
As I said before its only a matter of time till he hangs himself again
What moment did he make re the ill? & why were there 300 posts threatening each other- how did he stir the MacCormack pot? Memory not what it was!
[quote][p][bold]smirg kcab[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Oi Den![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]smirg kcab[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mancrobin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]smirg kcab[/bold] wrote: Thought s.m would have got the boot, not the first second or third he's wound people up. Only a matter of time till he hangs himself again[/p][/quote]Grim, perhaps you can give him some advice in tact and diplomacy.[/p][/quote]Ok for him to take the piiss out of ill people tho? Short memory manc. Think he should have got the boot for saying it a few weeks ago.[/p][/quote]Grim, I reckon you're a tad harsh on young Sam. He made a bad error in using that phrase but I don't think for a minute he meant it in the way you suggest. If he has a fault, it's his tendency to think his work needs peppering with metaphors, which can ruin otherwise good stuff. That's what happened on the occasion you're referring to. That time it was clearly offensive, though not intentionally I'm sure. An apology would have been appropriate though. Sam Morshead will be a Swindon Town supporter long after Lee Power has gone. Now Sam, what about asking about the latest broken promise - to deliver the audit commentary? After all, Sangita Shah was happy to use the Adver to provide a fanfare for her commentary. Come to think of it, we don't really need an audit report at all. A simple balance sheet at three different dates would do: the day Black left, the day McCrory left, and now. That should take just a few minutes and fit nicely on one piece of A4.[/p][/quote]My opinion of him won't change but I do respect yours (as always). As said many times before he tried to split town fans with the mcormick saga. I don't think it's harsh.over 300 post all threatening each other, also the main thing that should have been addressed was mcormick was never going to get a deal with our club, and this could have damaged the club to the core due to his pathetic reporting of the situation. As I said before its only a matter of time till he hangs himself again[/p][/quote]What moment did he make re the ill? & why were there 300 posts threatening each other- how did he stir the MacCormack pot? Memory not what it was! The Jockster

10:13pm Mon 20 Jan 14

Krazy Kammy says...

Well it's good to hear they have kissed an made up :)

Now 3pts Saturday please !
Well it's good to hear they have kissed an made up :) Now 3pts Saturday please ! Krazy Kammy

10:51pm Mon 20 Jan 14

Oxon-Red says...

harley red wrote:
As long as the press can print what's going on and not what the **** power says they can print . POWER P&£s OFF
One day you will get a plus score.

Maybe it will be when you announce that you have taken over at the County Ground and are prepared to invest millions into the club without expecting to see a return.

Maybe it will be when you post something positive about the club and people trying to make a difference whilst not have millions to invest without a return.

Maybe it will just be when you post something positive...




... then again

COYMR
[quote][p][bold]harley red[/bold] wrote: As long as the press can print what's going on and not what the **** power says they can print . POWER P&£s OFF[/p][/quote]One day you will get a plus score. Maybe it will be when you announce that you have taken over at the County Ground and are prepared to invest millions into the club without expecting to see a return. Maybe it will be when you post something positive about the club and people trying to make a difference whilst not have millions to invest without a return. Maybe it will just be when you post something positive... ... then again COYMR Oxon-Red

12:10am Tue 21 Jan 14

msw says...

Who Cares!
Who Cares! msw

12:13am Tue 21 Jan 14

Oxon-Red says...

msw wrote:
Who Cares!
Many do. Who the &*%$ are you ?
[quote][p][bold]msw[/bold] wrote: Who Cares![/p][/quote]Many do. Who the &*%$ are you ? Oxon-Red

6:47am Tue 21 Jan 14

Swindon Crier says...

Crap paper overpriced, better coverage in the Western Dailey and that's a Bristol paper
Crap paper overpriced, better coverage in the Western Dailey and that's a Bristol paper Swindon Crier

6:49am Tue 21 Jan 14

Swindon Crier says...

Swindon Crier wrote:
Crap paper overpriced, better coverage in the Western Dailey and that's a Bristol paper
Yes it's a joke before you all throw your toys out,but it is overpriced, and not as supporting of the Town as they like to tell us
[quote][p][bold]Swindon Crier[/bold] wrote: Crap paper overpriced, better coverage in the Western Dailey and that's a Bristol paper[/p][/quote]Yes it's a joke before you all throw your toys out,but it is overpriced, and not as supporting of the Town as they like to tell us Swindon Crier

7:40am Tue 21 Jan 14

Graham8181 says...

MidlandRobin wrote:
Good news, silly thing in the first place!

Now, next article for tomorrow morning 'Swindon send Hall back to Spurs' that would be dreaming xD

MR
We can only dream, unfortunately I cannot see this happening any time soon
[quote][p][bold]MidlandRobin[/bold] wrote: Good news, silly thing in the first place! Now, next article for tomorrow morning 'Swindon send Hall back to Spurs' that would be dreaming xD MR[/p][/quote]We can only dream, unfortunately I cannot see this happening any time soon Graham8181

7:48am Tue 21 Jan 14

Since 1950 says...

Why are the Town End banning the advertiser ???
Why are the Town End banning the advertiser ??? Since 1950

8:06am Tue 21 Jan 14

street2000 says...

Cool: Happy with that
Cool: Happy with that street2000

8:42am Tue 21 Jan 14

Blazing Riff says...

harley red wrote:
As long as the press can print what's going on and not what the **** power says they can print . POWER P&£s OFF
I think you've misspelt your name. Surely it's Hardly Red?
[quote][p][bold]harley red[/bold] wrote: As long as the press can print what's going on and not what the **** power says they can print . POWER P&£s OFF[/p][/quote]I think you've misspelt your name. Surely it's Hardly Red? Blazing Riff

10:34am Tue 21 Jan 14

london paolo says...

The club needs to come to terms with contemporary social media. They are changing all the rules when it comes to communication and PR. Power might admit to being a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to social media, but wasn't Shah President of the Chartered Institute of Journalists? (even though she isn't a journalist)
The club needs to come to terms with contemporary social media. They are changing all the rules when it comes to communication and PR. Power might admit to being a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to social media, but wasn't Shah President of the Chartered Institute of Journalists? (even though she isn't a journalist) london paolo

12:32pm Tue 21 Jan 14

Old-Stager, Hilperton says...

harley red wrote:
As long as the press can print what's going on and not what the **** power says they can print . POWER P&£s OFF
I'll bet you wouldn't have the courage to say that to Lee Power's face.
You are very brave on the keyboard !
[quote][p][bold]harley red[/bold] wrote: As long as the press can print what's going on and not what the **** power says they can print . POWER P&£s OFF[/p][/quote]I'll bet you wouldn't have the courage to say that to Lee Power's face. You are very brave on the keyboard ! Old-Stager, Hilperton

3:33pm Tue 21 Jan 14

MITTED says...

What a crass statement on the official website. The poll quoted as 55% being in support of the ban by the club was discredited (and taken down?) because the adver reported that the supporting clicks mostly came from very similar ISPs! I am willing to bet they originated somewhere in SN1...... ;o)
Hopefully the chairman's petty behaviour is now over and we can concentrate on the football.
What a crass statement on the official website. The poll quoted as 55% being in support of the ban by the club was discredited (and taken down?) because the adver reported that the supporting clicks mostly came from very similar ISPs! I am willing to bet they originated somewhere in SN1...... ;o) Hopefully the chairman's petty behaviour is now over and we can concentrate on the football. MITTED

9:10pm Tue 21 Jan 14

candlestrobe says...

Where's fredi?
Where's fredi? candlestrobe

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree