Swindon AdvertiserStephens credits Cooper for restoring Town’s self-belief (From Swindon Advertiser)

Get involved! Send photos, video, news & views. Text SWINDON NEWS to 80360 or email us

Stephens credits Cooper for restoring Town’s self-belief

Swindon Advertiser: Jack Stephens Jack Stephens

SWINDON Town loanee Jack Stephens says manager Mark Cooper has given his players real belief that they can hunt down Peterborough United and claim a League One play-off place.

Stephens, borrowed from Southampton three weeks ago, has yet to experience defeat in a Swindon shirt as his arrival has coincided with a run of three wins and a draw which has restored a sense of optimism to the County Ground.

However, the 20-year-old would not have the suggestion that he was the catalyst behind Town’s good form, instead heaping the credit on Cooper’s man-management.

When asked by the Advertiser whether he considered himself Swindon’s lucky charm, Stephens said: “I don’t know about that. Obviously I’ve come in and we’ve had four good results but I think that’s down to the manager. We’ve got a lot of young players here and he’s changed the formation and given us the belief that we can go on and reach the play-offs.

“We’ve just got to carry on now and keep doing really well.

“After the Bristol City result we thought ‘that’s a great result after what happened in the second half’. Then we had three wins in a row and after each win you start to think ‘we’re not too far from the play-offs.

“Peterborough keep slipping up. We can only concentrate on us but there’s a lot of positivity going around the changing room.”

Stephens is set to remain with Town until the end of the season, with his loan deal up on May 3 after the final match of the term against Rotherham United.

After four stellar performances, Swindon fans would no doubt be delighted to see him back in Wiltshire for longer next season but Southampton have sent scouts to watch Stephens’ every outing in a Robins shirt and there has been no discussions about a potential return just yet.

“They (Southampton) have just said they’re happy with how I’ve started and I’ve just got to keep going. There are six games left and they’ve said ‘keep going, keep playing as you are and we’ll revaluate it at the end of the season,” said the centre-back.

“It’s great to be here, great to play games and see how we are at the end of the season.”

Finally, Stephens paid tribute to goalkeeper Wes Foderingham’s superb recent form, saying: “I don’t want to be making mistakes but when you do, nine times out of 10 Wes is there to get you out of it. It’s brilliant to know he’s behind us and since I’ve been here he’s been great to me.”

Comments (28)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:15am Thu 3 Apr 14

STFConyourpitch says...

Peterborough won 2-0 against Colchester they have wolves next and very hard games after lets use it to our advantage
Peterborough won 2-0 against Colchester they have wolves next and very hard games after lets use it to our advantage STFConyourpitch
  • Score: 0

7:16am Thu 3 Apr 14

the wizard says...

If the loan agreement is up on 3rd May and we are in the play offs, should we be that lucky, does this mean we are without him or can that loan be extended ? If we are without him, less chance of success maybe ?
If the loan agreement is up on 3rd May and we are in the play offs, should we be that lucky, does this mean we are without him or can that loan be extended ? If we are without him, less chance of success maybe ? the wizard
  • Score: 2

8:03am Thu 3 Apr 14

Robinonfire says...

If Cooper changed Ward in January we would be in the playoffs.....Ward lost us points
If Cooper changed Ward in January we would be in the playoffs.....Ward lost us points Robinonfire
  • Score: -13

8:17am Thu 3 Apr 14

smirg kcab says...

Pure quality player
Nearly all Coventry tickets gone only 944 on sale and it's all ticket and a bargain price of £16 with a kid a quid.
Pure quality player Nearly all Coventry tickets gone only 944 on sale and it's all ticket and a bargain price of £16 with a kid a quid. smirg kcab
  • Score: 5

8:25am Thu 3 Apr 14

old town robin says...

the wizard wrote:
If the loan agreement is up on 3rd May and we are in the play offs, should we be that lucky, does this mean we are without him or can that loan be extended ? If we are without him, less chance of success maybe ?
Wiz, I tried to check your query out on the football league rules and regulations, but couldn't find an answer, but sure someone more knowledgeable will post the correct answer.. Not sure an end of season loan is defined by the last league game. I seem to remember we had no problem playing Danny Ward in the Millwall play-off final, so would think "end of season" is defined by the last game played by any one team.
[quote][p][bold]the wizard[/bold] wrote: If the loan agreement is up on 3rd May and we are in the play offs, should we be that lucky, does this mean we are without him or can that loan be extended ? If we are without him, less chance of success maybe ?[/p][/quote]Wiz, I tried to check your query out on the football league rules and regulations, but couldn't find an answer, but sure someone more knowledgeable will post the correct answer.. Not sure an end of season loan is defined by the last league game. I seem to remember we had no problem playing Danny Ward in the Millwall play-off final, so would think "end of season" is defined by the last game played by any one team. old town robin
  • Score: 0

8:40am Thu 3 Apr 14

Oxon-Red says...

old town robin wrote:
the wizard wrote:
If the loan agreement is up on 3rd May and we are in the play offs, should we be that lucky, does this mean we are without him or can that loan be extended ? If we are without him, less chance of success maybe ?
Wiz, I tried to check your query out on the football league rules and regulations, but couldn't find an answer, but sure someone more knowledgeable will post the correct answer.. Not sure an end of season loan is defined by the last league game. I seem to remember we had no problem playing Danny Ward in the Millwall play-off final, so would think "end of season" is defined by the last game played by any one team.
Massa and Nathan Byrne played in the play-offs last season while on loan. Maybe a case of extending IF we get to them.

COYMR
[quote][p][bold]old town robin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]the wizard[/bold] wrote: If the loan agreement is up on 3rd May and we are in the play offs, should we be that lucky, does this mean we are without him or can that loan be extended ? If we are without him, less chance of success maybe ?[/p][/quote]Wiz, I tried to check your query out on the football league rules and regulations, but couldn't find an answer, but sure someone more knowledgeable will post the correct answer.. Not sure an end of season loan is defined by the last league game. I seem to remember we had no problem playing Danny Ward in the Millwall play-off final, so would think "end of season" is defined by the last game played by any one team.[/p][/quote]Massa and Nathan Byrne played in the play-offs last season while on loan. Maybe a case of extending IF we get to them. COYMR Oxon-Red
  • Score: 1

8:53am Thu 3 Apr 14

Davidsyrett says...

Oxon-Red wrote:
old town robin wrote:
the wizard wrote:
If the loan agreement is up on 3rd May and we are in the play offs, should we be that lucky, does this mean we are without him or can that loan be extended ? If we are without him, less chance of success maybe ?
Wiz, I tried to check your query out on the football league rules and regulations, but couldn't find an answer, but sure someone more knowledgeable will post the correct answer.. Not sure an end of season loan is defined by the last league game. I seem to remember we had no problem playing Danny Ward in the Millwall play-off final, so would think "end of season" is defined by the last game played by any one team.
Massa and Nathan Byrne played in the play-offs last season while on loan. Maybe a case of extending IF we get to them.

COYMR
I was under the assumption that the reason we took Stephens on loan was to look at him regarding a full season loan next season, I can see no reason why, if we got to the play-offs, he wouldn't be able to play.

My concern would be, that we would not renew his loan until the start of August once the season's over, I hope no-one in the meantime comes in with a good offer to Southampton, We really need to keep him here if we to compete for promotion next season.
[quote][p][bold]Oxon-Red[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]old town robin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]the wizard[/bold] wrote: If the loan agreement is up on 3rd May and we are in the play offs, should we be that lucky, does this mean we are without him or can that loan be extended ? If we are without him, less chance of success maybe ?[/p][/quote]Wiz, I tried to check your query out on the football league rules and regulations, but couldn't find an answer, but sure someone more knowledgeable will post the correct answer.. Not sure an end of season loan is defined by the last league game. I seem to remember we had no problem playing Danny Ward in the Millwall play-off final, so would think "end of season" is defined by the last game played by any one team.[/p][/quote]Massa and Nathan Byrne played in the play-offs last season while on loan. Maybe a case of extending IF we get to them. COYMR[/p][/quote]I was under the assumption that the reason we took Stephens on loan was to look at him regarding a full season loan next season, I can see no reason why, if we got to the play-offs, he wouldn't be able to play. My concern would be, that we would not renew his loan until the start of August once the season's over, I hope no-one in the meantime comes in with a good offer to Southampton, We really need to keep him here if we to compete for promotion next season. Davidsyrett
  • Score: 2

9:28am Thu 3 Apr 14

the wizard says...

Thanks to all for your answers, lets just hope that we do manage a respectable conclusion to the season. A year ago I didn't think we would be having this debate, let alone mulling over this sort of question, but that's football for you. I hope he stays as in my humble opinion he has brought a ray of sunshine and imputous along with Gladwin, to show that all was not lost. A pair of bright youngsters that have worked hard, and it seems have energy to burn. Long may they both continue in inspiring our team forward.
Thanks to all for your answers, lets just hope that we do manage a respectable conclusion to the season. A year ago I didn't think we would be having this debate, let alone mulling over this sort of question, but that's football for you. I hope he stays as in my humble opinion he has brought a ray of sunshine and imputous along with Gladwin, to show that all was not lost. A pair of bright youngsters that have worked hard, and it seems have energy to burn. Long may they both continue in inspiring our team forward. the wizard
  • Score: 3

9:45am Thu 3 Apr 14

Is that you Lovesey says...

Whoever dropped Ward and bought in Stephens and changed the formation to a more direct EXCITING style of play deserves the credit, whether that is cooper or Power I don't care, the fact is we are more solid with Jack in the team and playing a more direct style with two up front gives the opposition more to worry about.
Whoever dropped Ward and bought in Stephens and changed the formation to a more direct EXCITING style of play deserves the credit, whether that is cooper or Power I don't care, the fact is we are more solid with Jack in the team and playing a more direct style with two up front gives the opposition more to worry about. Is that you Lovesey
  • Score: 11

10:58am Thu 3 Apr 14

who am i says...

Stephens was brought in on an emergency loan which is for a certain amount of days. Can't remember of the top of my head but that would mean his last game is against Rotherham. It can not be extended I don't think. As for previous loans playing for us in the play offs I think your find they were all signed on season long loans either way he needs to be signed for next season if we get the opotunity. I'm with lovesy the change in style of play has made a vast difference and the manager should take credit for that. I just can't understand why it took him so long to work it out well actually i do but I'll keep that to myself lol.
Stephens was brought in on an emergency loan which is for a certain amount of days. Can't remember of the top of my head but that would mean his last game is against Rotherham. It can not be extended I don't think. As for previous loans playing for us in the play offs I think your find they were all signed on season long loans either way he needs to be signed for next season if we get the opotunity. I'm with lovesy the change in style of play has made a vast difference and the manager should take credit for that. I just can't understand why it took him so long to work it out well actually i do but I'll keep that to myself lol. who am i
  • Score: 4

11:14am Thu 3 Apr 14

Graham8181 says...

Robinonfire wrote:
If Cooper changed Ward in January we would be in the playoffs.....Ward lost us points
not sure why all the thumbs down, this comment is spot on. cooper is always one step behind the rest and has been the case all season and is what will probably cost us a place in the playoffs. bring on more thumbs down. come on you reds lets hit these playoffs !!!!!
[quote][p][bold]Robinonfire[/bold] wrote: If Cooper changed Ward in January we would be in the playoffs.....Ward lost us points[/p][/quote]not sure why all the thumbs down, this comment is spot on. cooper is always one step behind the rest and has been the case all season and is what will probably cost us a place in the playoffs. bring on more thumbs down. come on you reds lets hit these playoffs !!!!! Graham8181
  • Score: -26

11:43am Thu 3 Apr 14

LeGod says...

Stephens has been a breath of fresh air and really good on the ball and composed when in possession. If only we had him and Troy as a partnership much earlier in the season we would definetley be in the play offs.
Confidence in your back four makes such a difference to all the players on the pitch as they know they can rely on them when under pressure and it gives the keeper more confidence as well. It just goes to show by keeping the back door shut and not giving stupid goals away as we had been doing all season until Troy and Stephens were our two centre backs where we would be. Lets hope now the likes of MC and Power have learnt that if your mean in defence you always have chance of winning a game and it would be great if we could get Stephens for next season has he has been fantastic for us and all credit to him as he is going to be a top quality defender and Southampton have another real gem who is british again and it just goes to show if more clubs were like southampton in bringing british players through it would have a massive effect on the england team and the premier league as opposed to alot of average foreign players as spurs have found out this season with all the money they have spent on players that to me are second grade.
Stephens has been a breath of fresh air and really good on the ball and composed when in possession. If only we had him and Troy as a partnership much earlier in the season we would definetley be in the play offs. Confidence in your back four makes such a difference to all the players on the pitch as they know they can rely on them when under pressure and it gives the keeper more confidence as well. It just goes to show by keeping the back door shut and not giving stupid goals away as we had been doing all season until Troy and Stephens were our two centre backs where we would be. Lets hope now the likes of MC and Power have learnt that if your mean in defence you always have chance of winning a game and it would be great if we could get Stephens for next season has he has been fantastic for us and all credit to him as he is going to be a top quality defender and Southampton have another real gem who is british again and it just goes to show if more clubs were like southampton in bringing british players through it would have a massive effect on the england team and the premier league as opposed to alot of average foreign players as spurs have found out this season with all the money they have spent on players that to me are second grade. LeGod
  • Score: 13

12:18pm Thu 3 Apr 14

itslove says...

Posh another 3 points , so more pressure on . For me Coops has been bad for our team . Hes a manic depressive , and plays football from a white board. Obsessed with a passing game , and triangles. When its to late , now , hes bought in players he rejected and has dropped the passing game . We can get results now , but its probably to late . We need a manager who can play the English game . That means mixing it up . Suddenly Coops is giving players their heads , why did he not do this before . Hes not good enough for Swindon. No motivation no ambition. Wonder what his dad Terry thinks . Leeds were a passing team , but could mix it up too .
Posh another 3 points , so more pressure on . For me Coops has been bad for our team . Hes a manic depressive , and plays football from a white board. Obsessed with a passing game , and triangles. When its to late , now , hes bought in players he rejected and has dropped the passing game . We can get results now , but its probably to late . We need a manager who can play the English game . That means mixing it up . Suddenly Coops is giving players their heads , why did he not do this before . Hes not good enough for Swindon. No motivation no ambition. Wonder what his dad Terry thinks . Leeds were a passing team , but could mix it up too . itslove
  • Score: -28

12:19pm Thu 3 Apr 14

stanharlands6shirt says...

Jack "STACK" Stephens; always proud of players who wear the Town shirt, but particularly so when it's a Cornishman.
The whole of Cornwall can feel proud of his progress and contribution to Towns run of good form since his arrival.
Jack "STACK" Stephens; always proud of players who wear the Town shirt, but particularly so when it's a Cornishman. The whole of Cornwall can feel proud of his progress and contribution to Towns run of good form since his arrival. stanharlands6shirt
  • Score: 1

1:38pm Thu 3 Apr 14

We are PANTS says...

smirg kcab wrote:
Pure quality player
Nearly all Coventry tickets gone only 944 on sale and it's all ticket and a bargain price of £16 with a kid a quid.
See your talking out of your backside again Victor!!! I've just been down the club to get mine and over 500 left!!! Full of sh#t as normal....
[quote][p][bold]smirg kcab[/bold] wrote: Pure quality player Nearly all Coventry tickets gone only 944 on sale and it's all ticket and a bargain price of £16 with a kid a quid.[/p][/quote]See your talking out of your backside again Victor!!! I've just been down the club to get mine and over 500 left!!! Full of sh#t as normal.... We are PANTS
  • Score: 6

1:55pm Thu 3 Apr 14

MikeJP says...

Robinonfire wrote:
If Cooper changed Ward in January we would be in the playoffs.....Ward lost us points
100% right on that
[quote][p][bold]Robinonfire[/bold] wrote: If Cooper changed Ward in January we would be in the playoffs.....Ward lost us points[/p][/quote]100% right on that MikeJP
  • Score: -9

3:56pm Thu 3 Apr 14

the don69 says...

7 players arrested for spot fixing from the Football league? which teams I wonder???????
7 players arrested for spot fixing from the Football league? which teams I wonder??????? the don69
  • Score: 1

4:41pm Thu 3 Apr 14

Oxon-Red says...

MikeJP wrote:
Robinonfire wrote: If Cooper changed Ward in January we would be in the playoffs.....Ward lost us points
100% right on that
Few assumptions made here.

I'll admit I can't prove you are wrong but please prove you are correct (100%).

COYMR
[quote][p][bold]MikeJP[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robinonfire[/bold] wrote: If Cooper changed Ward in January we would be in the playoffs.....Ward lost us points[/p][/quote]100% right on that[/p][/quote]Few assumptions made here. I'll admit I can't prove you are wrong but please prove you are correct (100%). COYMR Oxon-Red
  • Score: 0

4:54pm Thu 3 Apr 14

the don69 says...

Oxon-Red wrote:
MikeJP wrote:
Robinonfire wrote: If Cooper changed Ward in January we would be in the playoffs.....Ward lost us points
100% right on that
Few assumptions made here.

I'll admit I can't prove you are wrong but please prove you are correct (100%).

COYMR
It's his view Oxon! and one I'd agree with if we brought in young Stephens in Jan! how the hell can he prove it dear boy? it's like saying if the ball hadn't took a bobble when Austin missed that chance in the play-off we'd be in the Championship? but I can't prove it can I ?
[quote][p][bold]Oxon-Red[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MikeJP[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robinonfire[/bold] wrote: If Cooper changed Ward in January we would be in the playoffs.....Ward lost us points[/p][/quote]100% right on that[/p][/quote]Few assumptions made here. I'll admit I can't prove you are wrong but please prove you are correct (100%). COYMR[/p][/quote]It's his view Oxon! and one I'd agree with if we brought in young Stephens in Jan! how the hell can he prove it dear boy? it's like saying if the ball hadn't took a bobble when Austin missed that chance in the play-off we'd be in the Championship? but I can't prove it can I ? the don69
  • Score: 2

5:02pm Thu 3 Apr 14

Is that you Lovesey says...

the don69 wrote:
Oxon-Red wrote:
MikeJP wrote:
Robinonfire wrote: If Cooper changed Ward in January we would be in the playoffs.....Ward lost us points
100% right on that
Few assumptions made here. I'll admit I can't prove you are wrong but please prove you are correct (100%). COYMR
It's his view Oxon! and one I'd agree with if we brought in young Stephens in Jan! how the hell can he prove it dear boy? it's like saying if the ball hadn't took a bobble when Austin missed that chance in the play-off we'd be in the Championship? but I can't prove it can I ?
One thing I can prove, if we hadn't played such boring negative football for the last three months I wouldn't have been so bored !!!
[quote][p][bold]the don69[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Oxon-Red[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MikeJP[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robinonfire[/bold] wrote: If Cooper changed Ward in January we would be in the playoffs.....Ward lost us points[/p][/quote]100% right on that[/p][/quote]Few assumptions made here. I'll admit I can't prove you are wrong but please prove you are correct (100%). COYMR[/p][/quote]It's his view Oxon! and one I'd agree with if we brought in young Stephens in Jan! how the hell can he prove it dear boy? it's like saying if the ball hadn't took a bobble when Austin missed that chance in the play-off we'd be in the Championship? but I can't prove it can I ?[/p][/quote]One thing I can prove, if we hadn't played such boring negative football for the last three months I wouldn't have been so bored !!! Is that you Lovesey
  • Score: 1

5:15pm Thu 3 Apr 14

the don69 says...

Is that you Lovesey wrote:
the don69 wrote:
Oxon-Red wrote:
MikeJP wrote:
Robinonfire wrote: If Cooper changed Ward in January we would be in the playoffs.....Ward lost us points
100% right on that
Few assumptions made here. I'll admit I can't prove you are wrong but please prove you are correct (100%). COYMR
It's his view Oxon! and one I'd agree with if we brought in young Stephens in Jan! how the hell can he prove it dear boy? it's like saying if the ball hadn't took a bobble when Austin missed that chance in the play-off we'd be in the Championship? but I can't prove it can I ?
One thing I can prove, if we hadn't played such boring negative football for the last three months I wouldn't have been so bored !!!
Too much Tippy-Tappy lol!!!!!!!
[quote][p][bold]Is that you Lovesey[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]the don69[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Oxon-Red[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MikeJP[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robinonfire[/bold] wrote: If Cooper changed Ward in January we would be in the playoffs.....Ward lost us points[/p][/quote]100% right on that[/p][/quote]Few assumptions made here. I'll admit I can't prove you are wrong but please prove you are correct (100%). COYMR[/p][/quote]It's his view Oxon! and one I'd agree with if we brought in young Stephens in Jan! how the hell can he prove it dear boy? it's like saying if the ball hadn't took a bobble when Austin missed that chance in the play-off we'd be in the Championship? but I can't prove it can I ?[/p][/quote]One thing I can prove, if we hadn't played such boring negative football for the last three months I wouldn't have been so bored !!![/p][/quote]Too much Tippy-Tappy lol!!!!!!! the don69
  • Score: -2

5:20pm Thu 3 Apr 14

dazzastfc says...

Graham8181 wrote:
Robinonfire wrote:
If Cooper changed Ward in January we would be in the playoffs.....Ward lost us points
not sure why all the thumbs down, this comment is spot on. cooper is always one step behind the rest and has been the case all season and is what will probably cost us a place in the playoffs. bring on more thumbs down. come on you reds lets hit these playoffs !!!!!
SPOT ON BOYS....
Ward has been shocking all season....
Dont know why it took so long to drop him and im sure the 15 game bad run we had would have been a lot less damaging
[quote][p][bold]Graham8181[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robinonfire[/bold] wrote: If Cooper changed Ward in January we would be in the playoffs.....Ward lost us points[/p][/quote]not sure why all the thumbs down, this comment is spot on. cooper is always one step behind the rest and has been the case all season and is what will probably cost us a place in the playoffs. bring on more thumbs down. come on you reds lets hit these playoffs !!!!![/p][/quote]SPOT ON BOYS.... Ward has been shocking all season.... Dont know why it took so long to drop him and im sure the 15 game bad run we had would have been a lot less damaging dazzastfc
  • Score: 1

5:22pm Thu 3 Apr 14

Oxon-Red says...

the don69 wrote:
Oxon-Red wrote:
MikeJP wrote:
Robinonfire wrote: If Cooper changed Ward in January we would be in the playoffs.....Ward lost us points
100% right on that
Few assumptions made here. I'll admit I can't prove you are wrong but please prove you are correct (100%). COYMR
It's his view Oxon! and one I'd agree with if we brought in young Stephens in Jan! how the hell can he prove it dear boy? it's like saying if the ball hadn't took a bobble when Austin missed that chance in the play-off we'd be in the Championship? but I can't prove it can I ?
Exactly what I said. We could have replaced Ward with Stephens, conceded more goals and attained fewer points. All ifs, buts, maybes and opinions yet ROF is 100% correct according to MJP. But ROF also says it is down to playing Storey so how can he be 100% correct ?

Has the upturn in results been because Stephens has come in ? Again something we won't ever know.

Just find it sad that a Town player has yet again been singled out as the cause of Town's failure to acheive certain objectives. I wonder who it will be next season ?

COYMR
[quote][p][bold]the don69[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Oxon-Red[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MikeJP[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robinonfire[/bold] wrote: If Cooper changed Ward in January we would be in the playoffs.....Ward lost us points[/p][/quote]100% right on that[/p][/quote]Few assumptions made here. I'll admit I can't prove you are wrong but please prove you are correct (100%). COYMR[/p][/quote]It's his view Oxon! and one I'd agree with if we brought in young Stephens in Jan! how the hell can he prove it dear boy? it's like saying if the ball hadn't took a bobble when Austin missed that chance in the play-off we'd be in the Championship? but I can't prove it can I ?[/p][/quote]Exactly what I said. We could have replaced Ward with Stephens, conceded more goals and attained fewer points. All ifs, buts, maybes and opinions yet ROF is 100% correct according to MJP. But ROF also says it is down to playing Storey so how can he be 100% correct ? Has the upturn in results been because Stephens has come in ? Again something we won't ever know. Just find it sad that a Town player has yet again been singled out as the cause of Town's failure to acheive certain objectives. I wonder who it will be next season ? COYMR Oxon-Red
  • Score: 3

5:44pm Thu 3 Apr 14

mike1990 says...

Oxon-Red wrote:
MikeJP wrote:
Robinonfire wrote: If Cooper changed Ward in January we would be in the playoffs.....Ward lost us points
100% right on that
Few assumptions made here.

I'll admit I can't prove you are wrong but please prove you are correct (100%).

COYMR
Are you a lawyer or barrister Oxon-Red? don't think posters have to prove their point of view?it's about opinions and views on a football forum me-lwaad I rest my case my learner friend.
[quote][p][bold]Oxon-Red[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MikeJP[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robinonfire[/bold] wrote: If Cooper changed Ward in January we would be in the playoffs.....Ward lost us points[/p][/quote]100% right on that[/p][/quote]Few assumptions made here. I'll admit I can't prove you are wrong but please prove you are correct (100%). COYMR[/p][/quote]Are you a lawyer or barrister Oxon-Red? don't think posters have to prove their point of view?it's about opinions and views on a football forum me-lwaad I rest my case my learner friend. mike1990
  • Score: 2

6:02pm Thu 3 Apr 14

Oxon-Red says...

mike1990 wrote:
Oxon-Red wrote:
MikeJP wrote:
Robinonfire wrote: If Cooper changed Ward in January we would be in the playoffs.....Ward lost us points
100% right on that
Few assumptions made here. I'll admit I can't prove you are wrong but please prove you are correct (100%). COYMR
Are you a lawyer or barrister Oxon-Red? don't think posters have to prove their point of view?it's about opinions and views on a football forum me-lwaad I rest my case my learner friend.
I'll try and pass the friend test :-)

No not a Barrister just sad that a single person has been singled out. I thought football was a team game.

COYMR
[quote][p][bold]mike1990[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Oxon-Red[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MikeJP[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robinonfire[/bold] wrote: If Cooper changed Ward in January we would be in the playoffs.....Ward lost us points[/p][/quote]100% right on that[/p][/quote]Few assumptions made here. I'll admit I can't prove you are wrong but please prove you are correct (100%). COYMR[/p][/quote]Are you a lawyer or barrister Oxon-Red? don't think posters have to prove their point of view?it's about opinions and views on a football forum me-lwaad I rest my case my learner friend.[/p][/quote]I'll try and pass the friend test :-) No not a Barrister just sad that a single person has been singled out. I thought football was a team game. COYMR Oxon-Red
  • Score: 0

7:46pm Thu 3 Apr 14

swwindon61uk says...

Oxon-Red wrote:
the don69 wrote:
Oxon-Red wrote:
MikeJP wrote:
Robinonfire wrote: If Cooper changed Ward in January we would be in the playoffs.....Ward lost us points
100% right on that
Few assumptions made here. I'll admit I can't prove you are wrong but please prove you are correct (100%). COYMR
It's his view Oxon! and one I'd agree with if we brought in young Stephens in Jan! how the hell can he prove it dear boy? it's like saying if the ball hadn't took a bobble when Austin missed that chance in the play-off we'd be in the Championship? but I can't prove it can I ?
Exactly what I said. We could have replaced Ward with Stephens, conceded more goals and attained fewer points. All ifs, buts, maybes and opinions yet ROF is 100% correct according to MJP. But ROF also says it is down to playing Storey so how can he be 100% correct ?

Has the upturn in results been because Stephens has come in ? Again something we won't ever know.

Just find it sad that a Town player has yet again been singled out as the cause of Town's failure to acheive certain objectives. I wonder who it will be next season ?

COYMR
Always makes me laugh player hate or love with nothing in between, start of season "Flint's gone,City certain champions" "Ferry's gone Portsmouth certain champions",not quite eh!
Me sure i have my favorite and non favorite players but i will say when a player i like has done poor and vice versa,
But yes you are right there will be somebody next season to take the flak, my money will be on Smith and Barker after Storey has been sent out in loan again :-)
[quote][p][bold]Oxon-Red[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]the don69[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Oxon-Red[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MikeJP[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robinonfire[/bold] wrote: If Cooper changed Ward in January we would be in the playoffs.....Ward lost us points[/p][/quote]100% right on that[/p][/quote]Few assumptions made here. I'll admit I can't prove you are wrong but please prove you are correct (100%). COYMR[/p][/quote]It's his view Oxon! and one I'd agree with if we brought in young Stephens in Jan! how the hell can he prove it dear boy? it's like saying if the ball hadn't took a bobble when Austin missed that chance in the play-off we'd be in the Championship? but I can't prove it can I ?[/p][/quote]Exactly what I said. We could have replaced Ward with Stephens, conceded more goals and attained fewer points. All ifs, buts, maybes and opinions yet ROF is 100% correct according to MJP. But ROF also says it is down to playing Storey so how can he be 100% correct ? Has the upturn in results been because Stephens has come in ? Again something we won't ever know. Just find it sad that a Town player has yet again been singled out as the cause of Town's failure to acheive certain objectives. I wonder who it will be next season ? COYMR[/p][/quote]Always makes me laugh player hate or love with nothing in between, start of season "Flint's gone,City certain champions" "Ferry's gone Portsmouth certain champions",not quite eh! Me sure i have my favorite and non favorite players but i will say when a player i like has done poor and vice versa, But yes you are right there will be somebody next season to take the flak, my money will be on Smith and Barker after Storey has been sent out in loan again :-) swwindon61uk
  • Score: 0

12:06am Fri 4 Apr 14

Oxon-Red says...

swwindon61uk wrote:
Oxon-Red wrote:
the don69 wrote:
Oxon-Red wrote:
MikeJP wrote:
Robinonfire wrote: If Cooper changed Ward in January we would be in the playoffs.....Ward lost us points
100% right on that
Few assumptions made here. I'll admit I can't prove you are wrong but please prove you are correct (100%). COYMR
It's his view Oxon! and one I'd agree with if we brought in young Stephens in Jan! how the hell can he prove it dear boy? it's like saying if the ball hadn't took a bobble when Austin missed that chance in the play-off we'd be in the Championship? but I can't prove it can I ?
Exactly what I said. We could have replaced Ward with Stephens, conceded more goals and attained fewer points. All ifs, buts, maybes and opinions yet ROF is 100% correct according to MJP. But ROF also says it is down to playing Storey so how can he be 100% correct ?

Has the upturn in results been because Stephens has come in ? Again something we won't ever know.

Just find it sad that a Town player has yet again been singled out as the cause of Town's failure to acheive certain objectives. I wonder who it will be next season ?

COYMR
Always makes me laugh player hate or love with nothing in between, start of season "Flint's gone,City certain champions" "Ferry's gone Portsmouth certain champions",not quite eh!
Me sure i have my favorite and non favorite players but i will say when a player i like has done poor and vice versa,
But yes you are right there will be somebody next season to take the flak, my money will be on Smith and Barker after Storey has been sent out in loan again :-)
Thank you for your support, football is a team game but one (no two) player(s) this season have been singled out as the sole reason we have fewer points than some expected.

A sudden upturn in results because one of them is not playing and of course he was the cause of all the problems. They may be right but there is no consideration of the change of formation, luck (Preston couldn't hit a barn door and Sheff Utd had two free header on the six yard line) the return of a fully fit Wes, moving the ball quicker, players relaxed with the pressure off, players playing for a contract next season etc etc It must be Ward, we are playing 4-4-2 (which we aren't) and we are not playing tippy tappy (we are but with more tempo). We are not sitting deeper any more, we are because we have been pushed back but because we have won we aren't.

I grew up in the 60's and early 70's when people accepted mistakes and apologised then Mrs T came in and started to lay blame and point fingers. People started suing each other and we no have a society that wants to lay blame at someone's door. No, sh1t happens, move on. Now we have to find someone to blame. Think you are right, next season if we fail to live up to the expectations on some it will be someone (not the team) but someone's fault.

Saw it with Pericard, he didn't play after January when we needed a striker following Austin's move. Unfit ? I'm not so sure as he had a breakdown and now works in football supporting players. But he was Pericarp, ha ha ha. Never accepted at the CG and never given a fair chance IMO. Couple of others to mention that could have done a decent job for us that were never accepted, Jervis and Revell. Never saw Monkhouse for Town but I wonder why he loves scoring against us !!!!

COYMR
[quote][p][bold]swwindon61uk[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Oxon-Red[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]the don69[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Oxon-Red[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MikeJP[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robinonfire[/bold] wrote: If Cooper changed Ward in January we would be in the playoffs.....Ward lost us points[/p][/quote]100% right on that[/p][/quote]Few assumptions made here. I'll admit I can't prove you are wrong but please prove you are correct (100%). COYMR[/p][/quote]It's his view Oxon! and one I'd agree with if we brought in young Stephens in Jan! how the hell can he prove it dear boy? it's like saying if the ball hadn't took a bobble when Austin missed that chance in the play-off we'd be in the Championship? but I can't prove it can I ?[/p][/quote]Exactly what I said. We could have replaced Ward with Stephens, conceded more goals and attained fewer points. All ifs, buts, maybes and opinions yet ROF is 100% correct according to MJP. But ROF also says it is down to playing Storey so how can he be 100% correct ? Has the upturn in results been because Stephens has come in ? Again something we won't ever know. Just find it sad that a Town player has yet again been singled out as the cause of Town's failure to acheive certain objectives. I wonder who it will be next season ? COYMR[/p][/quote]Always makes me laugh player hate or love with nothing in between, start of season "Flint's gone,City certain champions" "Ferry's gone Portsmouth certain champions",not quite eh! Me sure i have my favorite and non favorite players but i will say when a player i like has done poor and vice versa, But yes you are right there will be somebody next season to take the flak, my money will be on Smith and Barker after Storey has been sent out in loan again :-)[/p][/quote]Thank you for your support, football is a team game but one (no two) player(s) this season have been singled out as the sole reason we have fewer points than some expected. A sudden upturn in results because one of them is not playing and of course he was the cause of all the problems. They may be right but there is no consideration of the change of formation, luck (Preston couldn't hit a barn door and Sheff Utd had two free header on the six yard line) the return of a fully fit Wes, moving the ball quicker, players relaxed with the pressure off, players playing for a contract next season etc etc It must be Ward, we are playing 4-4-2 (which we aren't) and we are not playing tippy tappy (we are but with more tempo). We are not sitting deeper any more, we are because we have been pushed back but because we have won we aren't. I grew up in the 60's and early 70's when people accepted mistakes and apologised then Mrs T came in and started to lay blame and point fingers. People started suing each other and we no have a society that wants to lay blame at someone's door. No, sh1t happens, move on. Now we have to find someone to blame. Think you are right, next season if we fail to live up to the expectations on some it will be someone (not the team) but someone's fault. Saw it with Pericard, he didn't play after January when we needed a striker following Austin's move. Unfit ? I'm not so sure as he had a breakdown and now works in football supporting players. But he was Pericarp, ha ha ha. Never accepted at the CG and never given a fair chance IMO. Couple of others to mention that could have done a decent job for us that were never accepted, Jervis and Revell. Never saw Monkhouse for Town but I wonder why he loves scoring against us !!!! COYMR Oxon-Red
  • Score: 0

12:27am Fri 4 Apr 14

mancrobin says...

Oxon-Red wrote:
swwindon61uk wrote:
Oxon-Red wrote:
the don69 wrote:
Oxon-Red wrote:
MikeJP wrote:
Robinonfire wrote: If Cooper changed Ward in January we would be in the playoffs.....Ward lost us points
100% right on that
Few assumptions made here. I'll admit I can't prove you are wrong but please prove you are correct (100%). COYMR
It's his view Oxon! and one I'd agree with if we brought in young Stephens in Jan! how the hell can he prove it dear boy? it's like saying if the ball hadn't took a bobble when Austin missed that chance in the play-off we'd be in the Championship? but I can't prove it can I ?
Exactly what I said. We could have replaced Ward with Stephens, conceded more goals and attained fewer points. All ifs, buts, maybes and opinions yet ROF is 100% correct according to MJP. But ROF also says it is down to playing Storey so how can he be 100% correct ?

Has the upturn in results been because Stephens has come in ? Again something we won't ever know.

Just find it sad that a Town player has yet again been singled out as the cause of Town's failure to acheive certain objectives. I wonder who it will be next season ?

COYMR
Always makes me laugh player hate or love with nothing in between, start of season "Flint's gone,City certain champions" "Ferry's gone Portsmouth certain champions",not quite eh!
Me sure i have my favorite and non favorite players but i will say when a player i like has done poor and vice versa,
But yes you are right there will be somebody next season to take the flak, my money will be on Smith and Barker after Storey has been sent out in loan again :-)
Thank you for your support, football is a team game but one (no two) player(s) this season have been singled out as the sole reason we have fewer points than some expected.

A sudden upturn in results because one of them is not playing and of course he was the cause of all the problems. They may be right but there is no consideration of the change of formation, luck (Preston couldn't hit a barn door and Sheff Utd had two free header on the six yard line) the return of a fully fit Wes, moving the ball quicker, players relaxed with the pressure off, players playing for a contract next season etc etc It must be Ward, we are playing 4-4-2 (which we aren't) and we are not playing tippy tappy (we are but with more tempo). We are not sitting deeper any more, we are because we have been pushed back but because we have won we aren't.

I grew up in the 60's and early 70's when people accepted mistakes and apologised then Mrs T came in and started to lay blame and point fingers. People started suing each other and we no have a society that wants to lay blame at someone's door. No, sh1t happens, move on. Now we have to find someone to blame. Think you are right, next season if we fail to live up to the expectations on some it will be someone (not the team) but someone's fault.

Saw it with Pericard, he didn't play after January when we needed a striker following Austin's move. Unfit ? I'm not so sure as he had a breakdown and now works in football supporting players. But he was Pericarp, ha ha ha. Never accepted at the CG and never given a fair chance IMO. Couple of others to mention that could have done a decent job for us that were never accepted, Jervis and Revell. Never saw Monkhouse for Town but I wonder why he loves scoring against us !!!!

COYMR
I agree with much of what you say there Oxon, particularly in respect of Pericard who was a lot better than many gave him credit for on here.

However, people will inevitably judge things on the moment rather than in the round. We all do it. Just look at the comments on here depending on whether we win or lose. I get the impression having seen the Town at Tranmere and heard about other recent games that we have been pretty jammy to do as well as we have in the last 3 games. There's no way that we are a serious promotion challenging side just like there's no way we have been in danger of relegation.

However, getting back to Ward, we must separate the evidence from the emotional. He is a model professional and been a good servant to Swindon. For that he deserves our respect and certainly gets mine. However, the Ward/Hall partnership was clearly struggling. We could see that and the evidence is there in the results. My reading of Ward's game this season is that he has lost whatever pace he had, he is so focused on holding up his own game he can't support other players and he is very uncomfortable with the patient, passing game. I have noticed this season that when Swindon have tried to play this way, the opposition after 10 minutes or so don't even bother to mark Ward or close him down. You have to ask why.

There's your evidence Oxon but I hope the Club find a dignified way for Wardy to move on. He deserves it.
[quote][p][bold]Oxon-Red[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]swwindon61uk[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Oxon-Red[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]the don69[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Oxon-Red[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MikeJP[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robinonfire[/bold] wrote: If Cooper changed Ward in January we would be in the playoffs.....Ward lost us points[/p][/quote]100% right on that[/p][/quote]Few assumptions made here. I'll admit I can't prove you are wrong but please prove you are correct (100%). COYMR[/p][/quote]It's his view Oxon! and one I'd agree with if we brought in young Stephens in Jan! how the hell can he prove it dear boy? it's like saying if the ball hadn't took a bobble when Austin missed that chance in the play-off we'd be in the Championship? but I can't prove it can I ?[/p][/quote]Exactly what I said. We could have replaced Ward with Stephens, conceded more goals and attained fewer points. All ifs, buts, maybes and opinions yet ROF is 100% correct according to MJP. But ROF also says it is down to playing Storey so how can he be 100% correct ? Has the upturn in results been because Stephens has come in ? Again something we won't ever know. Just find it sad that a Town player has yet again been singled out as the cause of Town's failure to acheive certain objectives. I wonder who it will be next season ? COYMR[/p][/quote]Always makes me laugh player hate or love with nothing in between, start of season "Flint's gone,City certain champions" "Ferry's gone Portsmouth certain champions",not quite eh! Me sure i have my favorite and non favorite players but i will say when a player i like has done poor and vice versa, But yes you are right there will be somebody next season to take the flak, my money will be on Smith and Barker after Storey has been sent out in loan again :-)[/p][/quote]Thank you for your support, football is a team game but one (no two) player(s) this season have been singled out as the sole reason we have fewer points than some expected. A sudden upturn in results because one of them is not playing and of course he was the cause of all the problems. They may be right but there is no consideration of the change of formation, luck (Preston couldn't hit a barn door and Sheff Utd had two free header on the six yard line) the return of a fully fit Wes, moving the ball quicker, players relaxed with the pressure off, players playing for a contract next season etc etc It must be Ward, we are playing 4-4-2 (which we aren't) and we are not playing tippy tappy (we are but with more tempo). We are not sitting deeper any more, we are because we have been pushed back but because we have won we aren't. I grew up in the 60's and early 70's when people accepted mistakes and apologised then Mrs T came in and started to lay blame and point fingers. People started suing each other and we no have a society that wants to lay blame at someone's door. No, sh1t happens, move on. Now we have to find someone to blame. Think you are right, next season if we fail to live up to the expectations on some it will be someone (not the team) but someone's fault. Saw it with Pericard, he didn't play after January when we needed a striker following Austin's move. Unfit ? I'm not so sure as he had a breakdown and now works in football supporting players. But he was Pericarp, ha ha ha. Never accepted at the CG and never given a fair chance IMO. Couple of others to mention that could have done a decent job for us that were never accepted, Jervis and Revell. Never saw Monkhouse for Town but I wonder why he loves scoring against us !!!! COYMR[/p][/quote]I agree with much of what you say there Oxon, particularly in respect of Pericard who was a lot better than many gave him credit for on here. However, people will inevitably judge things on the moment rather than in the round. We all do it. Just look at the comments on here depending on whether we win or lose. I get the impression having seen the Town at Tranmere and heard about other recent games that we have been pretty jammy to do as well as we have in the last 3 games. There's no way that we are a serious promotion challenging side just like there's no way we have been in danger of relegation. However, getting back to Ward, we must separate the evidence from the emotional. He is a model professional and been a good servant to Swindon. For that he deserves our respect and certainly gets mine. However, the Ward/Hall partnership was clearly struggling. We could see that and the evidence is there in the results. My reading of Ward's game this season is that he has lost whatever pace he had, he is so focused on holding up his own game he can't support other players and he is very uncomfortable with the patient, passing game. I have noticed this season that when Swindon have tried to play this way, the opposition after 10 minutes or so don't even bother to mark Ward or close him down. You have to ask why. There's your evidence Oxon but I hope the Club find a dignified way for Wardy to move on. He deserves it. mancrobin
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree