SWINDON TOWN 1 BRENTFORD: Are you not entertained?

Louis Thompson celebrates netting the only goal of the game as Swindon Town beat Brentford 1-0 on Saturday

Louis Thompson celebrates netting the only goal of the game as Swindon Town beat Brentford 1-0 on Saturday

First published in Sport
Last updated
Swindon Advertiser: Photograph of the Author by , Sports reporter

IF Swindon Town aren’t to achieve the impossible this season, then they are going to make sure that anyone who watches them in the remaining four games are going to be entertained.

Of course, the play-offs are still within reach according to the calculator, but as we all know football is not about the maths, it is what happens on the pitch and elsewhere.

The win over Brentford was exhilarating. At times the visitors played Mark Cooper’s men off the park with some crisp passing and an exploitation of the flanks but it was the promotion-chasing Bees who went home stung. Yes, they had a men sent off, the wreckless Adam Forshaw was booked twice within two second half minutes for lunging tackles, first on match-winner Louis Thompson and then on Raphael Branco.

That only seemed to galvanise Mark Warburton’s men as they made better use of the space that was available to them.

However, by then they must had got the feeling that Saturday was not going to be their day at the County Ground.

The Bees arrived in Swindon knowing that a win would leave them three points away from the Championship and with how they started they must have thought that they would be in for one heck of a party on Good Friday.

But Swindon found their rhythm and Louis Thompson found Jonathan Douglas half asleep to sneak in and steal the ball to send the Robins in at the interval 1-0 up and that is how it stayed.

Mark Cooper’s side knew that they could have been two to the good, though.

Alan McCormack, the former Town defender who was booed at every opportunity by the home supporters, bundled over Alex Pritchard in the Bees box with 13 minutes on the clock.

The ex-Robin protested his innocence but the card-happy Brendan Malone was having none of it and pointed to the spot.

Up stepped Michael Smith, barracked by some Town fans throughout, and he drilled the ball to David Button’s right, only for the former Tottenham trainee to guess right and palm the ball away.

At the time it appeared a costly miss but it mattered not in the end after Louis Thompson’s intervention gave Town the win.

However, with Peterborough seeing off Coventry City, the gap between Swindon and the Posh remain at seven points as Cooper’s men look on at what might have been this season.

Let’s face it, though, who in August realistically thought come Easter Town would be so close to reaching the lottery of the play-offs? Deep down, not many.

To still even have a modicum of that dream remaining should not go unappreciated.

Cooper’s selection and tactics at times has been questioned by a section of the home fans. Young players who aren’t performing to a level that is beyond their years are heavily criticised and when the results have gone the wrong way some even call for a change at the top.

That is football, you pay your money and you are entitled to your opinion.

Yes, Cooper and his players will know that they could have done certain things differently, but for all the critics there are fans who are willing to give time to this squad, which is gaining vital experience week on week.

As for the game itself, had you been a neutral you wouldn’t have found much better entertainment in League One.

This is not about the neutrals, it is about the Town faithful who turn up every week looking for their side to send them home happy.

It started well with Jay McEveley, who has now gone 118 games without a goal, floating in a teasing free-kick from 25 yards in the second minute which evaded everyone, but this proved a false dawn for Town.

The Griffin Park men had found an area which they could exploit and utilise throughout the opening 45 minutes, the gap between Branco on the left of the defensive trio and, McEveley at left wing-back.

On a sunny afternoon it rained long diagonal balls towards Clayton Donaldson on the right touchline at times.

With no tasked with marking the winger, he was able, on more than one occasion, to cut inside and deliver dangerous crosses for Marcello Trotta.

Gratefully, the Bees’ Italian striker was unable to make the most of the opportunities presented to him, as he either found no way through a solid Swindon central defence or was unable to hit the target when he did.

Then came the moment that gave all Town fans hope - McCormack bundling over Pritchard and the referee pointing to the spot, but Smith’s effort was well saved by Button.

That save seemed to give the Bees belief that it was their day and they would be nearing the dream of the Championship as they pressed to find an opening.

But it was Town’s pressing on the stroke of half-time that proved decisive, as Douglas was caught with the ball under his feet and Louis Thompson ghosted in and slotted home past an unprotected Button.

That blow knocked the stuffing out of Brentford for the start of the second half as they conceded possession too easily allowing Swindon to push for another, but it was not to be.

The visitors regained their composure and they were the ones finding themselves being gifted the ball.

George Saville had only been on the pitch for a matter of minutes when he teed up a shot from 20 yards on the hour mark. Drilling the ball goalwards with his left foot everyone thought that was the moment Brentford would equalise.

However, Wes Foderingham had other ideas.

The young stopper flung himself to the right and pushed the stinging drive away to keep his clean sheet intact.

Brentford continued to search for a leveller in the remaining minutes but they could not find a way through a resolute Swindon defence.

Was the win deserved? Maybe, maybe not, but does it really matter? When people look back at the results of this season they will see Swindon Town 1 Brentford 0.

Comments (14)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:26am Mon 14 Apr 14

Since 1950 says...

Another battling performance by Coopers Kids . No mean feat shutting out a strong side who look destined for automatic.
Another battling performance by Coopers Kids . No mean feat shutting out a strong side who look destined for automatic. Since 1950
  • Score: 19

9:05am Mon 14 Apr 14

Cleuso says...

I'm not sure Brentford ever "played Swindon off the park". They may have had a few moments of domination, but no more than the times Town dominated Brentford with good passing and high pressing causing Brentford more worries than they could ultimately cope with.
I'm not sure Brentford ever "played Swindon off the park". They may have had a few moments of domination, but no more than the times Town dominated Brentford with good passing and high pressing causing Brentford more worries than they could ultimately cope with. Cleuso
  • Score: 13

9:25am Mon 14 Apr 14

umpcah says...

Cleuso wrote:
I'm not sure Brentford ever "played Swindon off the park". They may have had a few moments of domination, but no more than the times Town dominated Brentford with good passing and high pressing causing Brentford more worries than they could ultimately cope with.
Agreed Cleuso. Cooper critics would do well to bear in mind that if results are any better next season promotion will be a very real possibility. We`ve had to be patient but the shape of things to come has to be encouraging i.m.o.
[quote][p][bold]Cleuso[/bold] wrote: I'm not sure Brentford ever "played Swindon off the park". They may have had a few moments of domination, but no more than the times Town dominated Brentford with good passing and high pressing causing Brentford more worries than they could ultimately cope with.[/p][/quote]Agreed Cleuso. Cooper critics would do well to bear in mind that if results are any better next season promotion will be a very real possibility. We`ve had to be patient but the shape of things to come has to be encouraging i.m.o. umpcah
  • Score: 7

10:13am Mon 14 Apr 14

LeGod says...

How the hell Brentford can say they dominated the game is a joke they had the first 10 minutes as we weren't organised at the back and they had the last 10 minutes as they were pushing for an equaliser but apart from that the teams were very even. In fact we should have been 3-0 up at half time if Smith had scored and a couple of other chances we had. They had one shot on target all game so how they say they dominated is sour grapes to me as they though we were going to roll over for them.
McCormack should have gone for his kick at Pritchard but again another very poor referee who let Brentford dominate him.
A very good performance by our players and Louis Thompson and Stephens were outstanding players for me and both get better every game.
How the hell Brentford can say they dominated the game is a joke they had the first 10 minutes as we weren't organised at the back and they had the last 10 minutes as they were pushing for an equaliser but apart from that the teams were very even. In fact we should have been 3-0 up at half time if Smith had scored and a couple of other chances we had. They had one shot on target all game so how they say they dominated is sour grapes to me as they though we were going to roll over for them. McCormack should have gone for his kick at Pritchard but again another very poor referee who let Brentford dominate him. A very good performance by our players and Louis Thompson and Stephens were outstanding players for me and both get better every game. LeGod
  • Score: 12

10:16am Mon 14 Apr 14

Davidsyrett says...

Thought it was a cracking game of football, I didn't think there was much between either sides.

The main difference for me is the defence. Since Stephens has come in we have won 4, drawn 1, lost 1.and only conceded 3 goals. What with Troy coming back to fitness and Jay playing along side them, we suddenly look far more solid. It also seems to have brought Wes's confidence back. My only concern for next season is all 4 of those have question marks over their future here.
Thought it was a cracking game of football, I didn't think there was much between either sides. The main difference for me is the defence. Since Stephens has come in we have won 4, drawn 1, lost 1.and only conceded 3 goals. What with Troy coming back to fitness and Jay playing along side them, we suddenly look far more solid. It also seems to have brought Wes's confidence back. My only concern for next season is all 4 of those have question marks over their future here. Davidsyrett
  • Score: 8

11:19am Mon 14 Apr 14

London Red says...

Davidsyrett wrote:
Thought it was a cracking game of football, I didn't think there was much between either sides. The main difference for me is the defence. Since Stephens has come in we have won 4, drawn 1, lost 1.and only conceded 3 goals. What with Troy coming back to fitness and Jay playing along side them, we suddenly look far more solid. It also seems to have brought Wes's confidence back. My only concern for next season is all 4 of those have question marks over their future here.
Wes' question mark is only by fans on here
.
Power has stated more than once we do not need sell anyone and all of Wes' interview always have him talking about next season in terms of being a Swindon player
.
So the only way he will probably leave is via a big transfer fee - if he did go for that then we as a club might actually be better off
.
Yes Wes will be a mssive loss - but Belford did well and could be a good keeper for us and the money we receive for Wes could be used to strengthen the team as a whole to make us collectively better
.
The likes of Orient and Rotherham are doing well be being collectively strong rather than having a few stars
.
I'm pretty confident Stephens will be back as I think the new "Spurs" are Saints - they have an excellent youth production line and they need games and they want to play football - which as Stephens himself said means they are interested in coming to us
.
I think that Branco slotting in alongside TAH and Stephens shows we could live without Jay - I also think Hall could do a really good job as the left CB of a 3 if we signed him up
.
TAH is the big one of the 4 and hopefully we can come to some agreement to get him sign up again
[quote][p][bold]Davidsyrett[/bold] wrote: Thought it was a cracking game of football, I didn't think there was much between either sides. The main difference for me is the defence. Since Stephens has come in we have won 4, drawn 1, lost 1.and only conceded 3 goals. What with Troy coming back to fitness and Jay playing along side them, we suddenly look far more solid. It also seems to have brought Wes's confidence back. My only concern for next season is all 4 of those have question marks over their future here.[/p][/quote]Wes' question mark is only by fans on here . Power has stated more than once we do not need sell anyone and all of Wes' interview always have him talking about next season in terms of being a Swindon player . So the only way he will probably leave is via a big transfer fee - if he did go for that then we as a club might actually be better off . Yes Wes will be a mssive loss - but Belford did well and could be a good keeper for us and the money we receive for Wes could be used to strengthen the team as a whole to make us collectively better . The likes of Orient and Rotherham are doing well be being collectively strong rather than having a few stars . I'm pretty confident Stephens will be back as I think the new "Spurs" are Saints - they have an excellent youth production line and they need games and they want to play football - which as Stephens himself said means they are interested in coming to us . I think that Branco slotting in alongside TAH and Stephens shows we could live without Jay - I also think Hall could do a really good job as the left CB of a 3 if we signed him up . TAH is the big one of the 4 and hopefully we can come to some agreement to get him sign up again London Red
  • Score: 1

11:36am Mon 14 Apr 14

Oi Den! says...

Branco needs to cut out the play-acting. He was at it again on Saturday - rolling around feigning injury (after a quick look to see where the ref was) when Forshaw fouled him. It was obvious he wasn't hurt. In no time at all he was up and full of beans. We can do without that stuff.
Branco needs to cut out the play-acting. He was at it again on Saturday - rolling around feigning injury (after a quick look to see where the ref was) when Forshaw fouled him. It was obvious he wasn't hurt. In no time at all he was up and full of beans. We can do without that stuff. Oi Den!
  • Score: 3

11:53am Mon 14 Apr 14

London Red says...

Oi Den! wrote:
Branco needs to cut out the play-acting. He was at it again on Saturday - rolling around feigning injury (after a quick look to see where the ref was) when Forshaw fouled him. It was obvious he wasn't hurt. In no time at all he was up and full of beans. We can do without that stuff.
Though Forshaw should not have been on the pitch for him to make that tackle - Branco was probably ensuring justice was done!
.
Agreed could do with out that stuff - but will let him off on this occasion
[quote][p][bold]Oi Den![/bold] wrote: Branco needs to cut out the play-acting. He was at it again on Saturday - rolling around feigning injury (after a quick look to see where the ref was) when Forshaw fouled him. It was obvious he wasn't hurt. In no time at all he was up and full of beans. We can do without that stuff.[/p][/quote]Though Forshaw should not have been on the pitch for him to make that tackle - Branco was probably ensuring justice was done! . Agreed could do with out that stuff - but will let him off on this occasion London Red
  • Score: 2

11:54am Mon 14 Apr 14

Davidsyrett says...

London Red wrote:
Davidsyrett wrote:
Thought it was a cracking game of football, I didn't think there was much between either sides. The main difference for me is the defence. Since Stephens has come in we have won 4, drawn 1, lost 1.and only conceded 3 goals. What with Troy coming back to fitness and Jay playing along side them, we suddenly look far more solid. It also seems to have brought Wes's confidence back. My only concern for next season is all 4 of those have question marks over their future here.
Wes' question mark is only by fans on here
.
Power has stated more than once we do not need sell anyone and all of Wes' interview always have him talking about next season in terms of being a Swindon player
.
So the only way he will probably leave is via a big transfer fee - if he did go for that then we as a club might actually be better off
.
Yes Wes will be a mssive loss - but Belford did well and could be a good keeper for us and the money we receive for Wes could be used to strengthen the team as a whole to make us collectively better
.
The likes of Orient and Rotherham are doing well be being collectively strong rather than having a few stars
.
I'm pretty confident Stephens will be back as I think the new "Spurs" are Saints - they have an excellent youth production line and they need games and they want to play football - which as Stephens himself said means they are interested in coming to us
.
I think that Branco slotting in alongside TAH and Stephens shows we could live without Jay - I also think Hall could do a really good job as the left CB of a 3 if we signed him up
.
TAH is the big one of the 4 and hopefully we can come to some agreement to get him sign up again
Hope your right LR. I know Wes has a get out clause in his contract if he wants to leave for a championship club, but the latest reports seem to suggest he's happy here. Having said that a big fee might be tempting.

Can we bring Hall back for another season's loan? I thought a player could only spend one season on loan at a club. Can't see us affording to buy him.
[quote][p][bold]London Red[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Davidsyrett[/bold] wrote: Thought it was a cracking game of football, I didn't think there was much between either sides. The main difference for me is the defence. Since Stephens has come in we have won 4, drawn 1, lost 1.and only conceded 3 goals. What with Troy coming back to fitness and Jay playing along side them, we suddenly look far more solid. It also seems to have brought Wes's confidence back. My only concern for next season is all 4 of those have question marks over their future here.[/p][/quote]Wes' question mark is only by fans on here . Power has stated more than once we do not need sell anyone and all of Wes' interview always have him talking about next season in terms of being a Swindon player . So the only way he will probably leave is via a big transfer fee - if he did go for that then we as a club might actually be better off . Yes Wes will be a mssive loss - but Belford did well and could be a good keeper for us and the money we receive for Wes could be used to strengthen the team as a whole to make us collectively better . The likes of Orient and Rotherham are doing well be being collectively strong rather than having a few stars . I'm pretty confident Stephens will be back as I think the new "Spurs" are Saints - they have an excellent youth production line and they need games and they want to play football - which as Stephens himself said means they are interested in coming to us . I think that Branco slotting in alongside TAH and Stephens shows we could live without Jay - I also think Hall could do a really good job as the left CB of a 3 if we signed him up . TAH is the big one of the 4 and hopefully we can come to some agreement to get him sign up again[/p][/quote]Hope your right LR. I know Wes has a get out clause in his contract if he wants to leave for a championship club, but the latest reports seem to suggest he's happy here. Having said that a big fee might be tempting. Can we bring Hall back for another season's loan? I thought a player could only spend one season on loan at a club. Can't see us affording to buy him. Davidsyrett
  • Score: 0

12:57pm Mon 14 Apr 14

chalkswindon says...

Not been keeping up with Town last couple of months as I have been away but can I ask, What has happened to Ward ?
Not been keeping up with Town last couple of months as I have been away but can I ask, What has happened to Ward ? chalkswindon
  • Score: -2

1:56pm Mon 14 Apr 14

London Red says...

Davidsyrett wrote:
London Red wrote:
Davidsyrett wrote: Thought it was a cracking game of football, I didn't think there was much between either sides. The main difference for me is the defence. Since Stephens has come in we have won 4, drawn 1, lost 1.and only conceded 3 goals. What with Troy coming back to fitness and Jay playing along side them, we suddenly look far more solid. It also seems to have brought Wes's confidence back. My only concern for next season is all 4 of those have question marks over their future here.
Wes' question mark is only by fans on here . Power has stated more than once we do not need sell anyone and all of Wes' interview always have him talking about next season in terms of being a Swindon player . So the only way he will probably leave is via a big transfer fee - if he did go for that then we as a club might actually be better off . Yes Wes will be a mssive loss - but Belford did well and could be a good keeper for us and the money we receive for Wes could be used to strengthen the team as a whole to make us collectively better . The likes of Orient and Rotherham are doing well be being collectively strong rather than having a few stars . I'm pretty confident Stephens will be back as I think the new "Spurs" are Saints - they have an excellent youth production line and they need games and they want to play football - which as Stephens himself said means they are interested in coming to us . I think that Branco slotting in alongside TAH and Stephens shows we could live without Jay - I also think Hall could do a really good job as the left CB of a 3 if we signed him up . TAH is the big one of the 4 and hopefully we can come to some agreement to get him sign up again
Hope your right LR. I know Wes has a get out clause in his contract if he wants to leave for a championship club, but the latest reports seem to suggest he's happy here. Having said that a big fee might be tempting. Can we bring Hall back for another season's loan? I thought a player could only spend one season on loan at a club. Can't see us affording to buy him.
I've not heard that before - also Thibaut Courtois has spent 3 consecutive seasons on loan at Athletico from Chelsea
.
I can see Hall coming here perm - Spurs will not want him as he is nowhere near Champions League quality - so could see him joining like Byrne or Luongo
.
He should be no more than 100k at most - but feel we could get him for less - They just need a 20% sell on just in case
.
Pritchard is the one we wouldn't be able to afford as he will be £1m+
.
As for Wes' clause there must be a certain price in that clause - as he simply can't just go to a Championship club otherwise they could bid £1 and activate it
[quote][p][bold]Davidsyrett[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]London Red[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Davidsyrett[/bold] wrote: Thought it was a cracking game of football, I didn't think there was much between either sides. The main difference for me is the defence. Since Stephens has come in we have won 4, drawn 1, lost 1.and only conceded 3 goals. What with Troy coming back to fitness and Jay playing along side them, we suddenly look far more solid. It also seems to have brought Wes's confidence back. My only concern for next season is all 4 of those have question marks over their future here.[/p][/quote]Wes' question mark is only by fans on here . Power has stated more than once we do not need sell anyone and all of Wes' interview always have him talking about next season in terms of being a Swindon player . So the only way he will probably leave is via a big transfer fee - if he did go for that then we as a club might actually be better off . Yes Wes will be a mssive loss - but Belford did well and could be a good keeper for us and the money we receive for Wes could be used to strengthen the team as a whole to make us collectively better . The likes of Orient and Rotherham are doing well be being collectively strong rather than having a few stars . I'm pretty confident Stephens will be back as I think the new "Spurs" are Saints - they have an excellent youth production line and they need games and they want to play football - which as Stephens himself said means they are interested in coming to us . I think that Branco slotting in alongside TAH and Stephens shows we could live without Jay - I also think Hall could do a really good job as the left CB of a 3 if we signed him up . TAH is the big one of the 4 and hopefully we can come to some agreement to get him sign up again[/p][/quote]Hope your right LR. I know Wes has a get out clause in his contract if he wants to leave for a championship club, but the latest reports seem to suggest he's happy here. Having said that a big fee might be tempting. Can we bring Hall back for another season's loan? I thought a player could only spend one season on loan at a club. Can't see us affording to buy him.[/p][/quote]I've not heard that before - also Thibaut Courtois has spent 3 consecutive seasons on loan at Athletico from Chelsea . I can see Hall coming here perm - Spurs will not want him as he is nowhere near Champions League quality - so could see him joining like Byrne or Luongo . He should be no more than 100k at most - but feel we could get him for less - They just need a 20% sell on just in case . Pritchard is the one we wouldn't be able to afford as he will be £1m+ . As for Wes' clause there must be a certain price in that clause - as he simply can't just go to a Championship club otherwise they could bid £1 and activate it London Red
  • Score: -2

3:36pm Mon 14 Apr 14

RogerJ1969 says...

Some good constructive stuff on here today, however how about a debate on which strikers we should and could sign.
If Ranger stays and Smith improves we will need a 'fox in the box' Kevin Phillips type. I can't offer any names but there must be a few out there, I would let Storey go and try to find flying winger who actually delivers those stinging crosses similar to Richie and occasionally Roberts.

Thoughts?
Some good constructive stuff on here today, however how about a debate on which strikers we should and could sign. If Ranger stays and Smith improves we will need a 'fox in the box' Kevin Phillips type. I can't offer any names but there must be a few out there, I would let Storey go and try to find flying winger who actually delivers those stinging crosses similar to Richie and occasionally Roberts. Thoughts? RogerJ1969
  • Score: 1

5:02pm Mon 14 Apr 14

AdderB says...

Couple of points;

Wes is a brilliant keeper. he hardly ever makes a mistake ! In the Shef game , he made 3 or 4 top class saves . he has been in the Suns team of the week on numerous occasions . Hope we can keep him but just wonder if Bournemouth will come in for him or possibly a prem team .

Andy Williams is still a town player and its likely Yeovil will get relegated. Will Mark Cooper will give him another chance? If he has still time to run on his contract , might be worth a go.
Couple of points; Wes is a brilliant keeper. he hardly ever makes a mistake ! In the Shef game , he made 3 or 4 top class saves . he has been in the Suns team of the week on numerous occasions . Hope we can keep him but just wonder if Bournemouth will come in for him or possibly a prem team . Andy Williams is still a town player and its likely Yeovil will get relegated. Will Mark Cooper will give him another chance? If he has still time to run on his contract , might be worth a go. AdderB
  • Score: -2

8:27pm Mon 14 Apr 14

dazzastfc says...

chalkswindon wrote:
Not been keeping up with Town last couple of months as I have been away but can I ask, What has happened to Ward ?
He finally got dropped when we signed Stephen..
Big shame as it was15 games to late
[quote][p][bold]chalkswindon[/bold] wrote: Not been keeping up with Town last couple of months as I have been away but can I ask, What has happened to Ward ?[/p][/quote]He finally got dropped when we signed Stephen.. Big shame as it was15 games to late dazzastfc
  • Score: -3

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree