Hand injury doesn't worry Martin

Ryan Martin

Ryan Martin

First published in Sport

RYAN Martin insists that it is all systems go for his second professional fight despite problems with his hands.

The 20-year-old went to see a specialist yesterday and, while he has been referred to see another doctor, the former Walcot and England amateur is determined to be out on June 7 at the Oasis Leisure Centre.

“The person I saw said that it is just soft tissue damage,” Martin said.

“It is now just a case of balancing my training to ensure that I’m doing enough work without causing too much damage - I’ll grit my teeth and get through it.”

The ex-junior ABA and two-time Golden Gloves winner admits that the hand issue has been worrying him, as he makes his tentative steps into the paid ranks.

But despite this, he is determined to put on a good show in front of his home fans on the undercard of Kelvin Young’s first defence IBO inter-continental super-middleweight defence.

“I had a great reception on my first fight (against Jason Nesbitt),” the young welterweight said. “To be honest it was better than I thought it was going to be.

“I remember like it was yesterday, that first round, I was really edgy, I didn’t know what to expect, the whole feel to the fight was so different to anything that I have experienced.

“I couldn’t really see at the start due to the spotlight, it was just us two in the ring.

“It was a big jump up from the amateurs. But I felt that I adapted well.

“He was very awkward, he didn’t show me anything, he was so hard to hit.

“From round one he realised that I was faster and stronger, I was beating him to the punch, but he tucked up well, I had to battle away and I felt that I handled it pretty well.”

While Martin is still to have is opponent for his fight confirmed, he is expecting to be finally facing Kevin McCauley.

The Swindon fighter was due to make his debut against the 34-year-old, but the Brighton boxer was double-booked.

Martin was then set to collide with the 85-fight veteran in Gloucester last month before the hand injury forced him to withdraw.

“I think that I could be fighting Kevin McCauley,” Martin said. “I was supposed to be fighting him on my debut and then again in Gloucester.

“It’ll will be a good fight, he is notoriously tough, he game, he is not easily intimidated, he will come to fight.”

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree