Get involved! Send photos, video, news & views. Text SWINDON NEWS to 80360 or email us
Bad Boy out to prove doubters wrong
LAWRENCE Bennett insists that Swindon fight fans will get to see the best of him with he steps into the ring next month.
The 31-year-old returns to the scene of his only defeat, the Oasis Leisure Centre, on June 7 as chief support to Kelvin Young’s first defence of his IBO super-middleweight inter-continental title when he collides with Chris Keane in a British cruiserweight title eliminator.
However, since that loss in December to Courtney Richards, Bad Boy has won the Southern Area title and is potentially one fight away from a shot at the Lonsdale belt.
But as well as looking to take a huge stride in his fledgling career, the Keane contest is only Bennett’s seventh outing in the paid ranks, the Jamaican-born southpaw knows most people’s views on him were formed when he was beaten by Richards in a four-round contest.
“(There’s) little bit (of pressure on me being back in Swindon),” Bennett admitted.
“The last time they saw me they didn’t get the best of me.
“I want to dispel people’s thoughts of that night.”
Bennett was set to return to the Oasis in March when the opportunity arose for him to fight Margate’s Jack Morris in south London for the Southern Area title.
And working from behind the single jab in Southwark, the Swindonian had his arm raised having taken a 98-94 decision.
“Not everyone saw me win the Southern Area in London,” Bennett said. “People have written some good stuff about me (since then), but there are still doubters out there.
“They say ‘the last time we saw him he wasn’t brilliant, let’s see what he has got.’ “People will doubt you and judge you - regardless of what you do, it is all about doing what I do best and if I do that, I’ll come away with the win.”
While Bennett is potentially 10 rounds away from clashing with the British champion Jon-Lewis Dickinson, who defends his title against Ovill McKenzie, who is also putting his Commonwealth crown on the line, on the same night as Bennett and Keane meet, he feels that people are now starting to discover just who Bad Boy is.
“People around the country are getting to know about Bad Boy,” he said. “Not just in Swindon, they are in London.
“My next fight could be for British title, I’ve got the whole of Britain looking at me.
“I could have a shot in my eighth fight for the British title. I’m going to give 100 per cent and that is all I can ask.”
Comments are closed on this article.