JAMIE Cox insists that he is looking to return to the light-middleweight division when he makes his return to the ring this autumn.
The 27-year-old revealed to the Advertiser earlier this month that he is planning a September comeback after turning down the opportunity to fight in America in late July.
The former Commonwealth light-middleweight champion last fought on June 15 last year at the Oasis Leisure Centre in a six-round contest against Frenchman Matiouze Royer.
However, the 2006 Commonwealth gold medallist tipped the scales at 162.5lbs for that fight, two-and-a-half over the middleweight championship weight.
Yet Cox when he does fight in September, who he says is likely to be against Ronnie Heffron at the Copper Box in London, he is planning to drop back to the 154lb division.
However, with earning a shot at a British title firmly on the Swindon southpaw’s mind, Cox says that if the right opportunities arises in the division above he wouldn’t hesitate at stepping up.
“Light-middle is where I feel the best,” he said. “It is where I’ll be campaigning but if there are opportunities at middle I will fight at middle because I can do both.”
Cox said that he was set to face reigning British and Commonwealth middleweight champion Billy-Joe Saunders following his points success over Royer but that fight never materialised.
And now fully focused on his training once more, Cox, who is now managed by Ricky Hatton’s former assistant trainer Lee Beard.
“I’ve been training non-stop, I was going to fight Billy-Joe Saunders (the reigning British and Commonwealth middleweight champion) after my last fight, but that fell through,” Cox said.
“That would have been the biggest fight of my career but he hurt his hand.
“I took a couple weeks off because I had been training really hard, now I have been training constantly for seven or eight months solid.”