Swindon skipper Caddis says Di Canio is crucial to club's long-term goals

Swindon Town's Paul Caddis

Swindon Town's Paul Caddis

First published in Sport Swindon Advertiser: Photograph of the Author by , Deputy sports editor, awarren@swindonadvertiser.co.uk, @AndyWarren_

CAPTAIN Paul Caddis believes keeping manager Paolo Di Canio at the County Ground is vital if the club is going to achieve its long-term goals.

When Di Canio took over at Swindon a year ago his aim was to guide the club to the Championship at the earliest opportunity, but so far there has been no official announcement from the club over whether the Italian has received the investment he feels is vital to achieve his targets.

But Caddis, who recently had his contract with Town extended by a year, believes the former West Ham striker could lead the club to even greater success if he stays with Swindon long-term.

“It is vital that he stays here because he came in and got us promoted and turned the club into champions,” he said.

“It is normal for the best managers to have speculation around them because what he has done with Swindon is very special.

“There were always going to be rumours, and I am sure there will be rumours around a few players here because of what we did last season.

“But the gaffer is very important to the club, and I am sure that if he stays here we will continue to be successful.

Di Canio appointed Caddis as captain in place of Oliver Risser, and the Scot has enjoyed working with the Italian for the last year.

“He will be the first to admit that he is a tough manager, as he demands a lot from you and is tough to work under.

“The season was very long and mentally tough and we did not get a lot of days off, but we saw how good it has been and if it means we can have more success I am sure every one of the boys will take that.

“A lot of credit has to go to Jeremy Wray for taking a big gamble.

“The gaffer was obviously a big name as a player, but he was a rookie as a manager, and in fact he wasn’t really a manager.

“But he has come in here in his first job and done really well and his passion has been amazing.”

Comments (18)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:40am Fri 25 May 12

Stilloyal says...

Yes quite right Cadds he is crucial to the clubs success, but do some fans deserve him ?
Yes quite right Cadds he is crucial to the clubs success, but do some fans deserve him ? Stilloyal
  • Score: 0

7:31am Fri 25 May 12

Lazaat says...

Stilloyal wrote:
Yes quite right Cadds he is crucial to the clubs success, but do some fans deserve him ?
Some don't but most do!
[quote][p][bold]Stilloyal[/bold] wrote: Yes quite right Cadds he is crucial to the clubs success, but do some fans deserve him ?[/p][/quote]Some don't but most do! Lazaat
  • Score: 0

7:42am Fri 25 May 12

jam1 says...

Stilloyal wrote:
Yes quite right Cadds he is crucial to the clubs success, but do some fans deserve him ?
odd comment... As i was saying the other day, its all gone quiet and theres been no confirmation that paolo has been given the transfer funds he requires.
[quote][p][bold]Stilloyal[/bold] wrote: Yes quite right Cadds he is crucial to the clubs success, but do some fans deserve him ?[/p][/quote]odd comment... As i was saying the other day, its all gone quiet and theres been no confirmation that paolo has been given the transfer funds he requires. jam1
  • Score: 0

7:45am Fri 25 May 12

Stilloyal says...

Lazaat wrote:
Stilloyal wrote: Yes quite right Cadds he is crucial to the clubs success, but do some fans deserve him ?
Some don't but most do!
yep 90% plus and I 'm one of those, I've backed him and his judgement ever since I heard he was coming February last year.
[quote][p][bold]Lazaat[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Stilloyal[/bold] wrote: Yes quite right Cadds he is crucial to the clubs success, but do some fans deserve him ?[/p][/quote]Some don't but most do![/p][/quote]yep 90% plus and I 'm one of those, I've backed him and his judgement ever since I heard he was coming February last year. Stilloyal
  • Score: 0

8:11am Fri 25 May 12

Dr. Russ Clart says...

Stilloyal wrote:
Lazaat wrote:
Stilloyal wrote: Yes quite right Cadds he is crucial to the clubs success, but do some fans deserve him ?
Some don't but most do!
yep 90% plus and I 'm one of those, I've backed him and his judgement ever since I heard he was coming February last year.
how can you back someone 4 months before they are the manager?????????
[quote][p][bold]Stilloyal[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lazaat[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Stilloyal[/bold] wrote: Yes quite right Cadds he is crucial to the clubs success, but do some fans deserve him ?[/p][/quote]Some don't but most do![/p][/quote]yep 90% plus and I 'm one of those, I've backed him and his judgement ever since I heard he was coming February last year.[/p][/quote]how can you back someone 4 months before they are the manager????????? Dr. Russ Clart
  • Score: 0

8:19am Fri 25 May 12

Bondy54 says...

I totally agree with Paul Caddis
comments that Di Canio is vital
to the clubs long term goals but I think that you are as well Paul. An excellent player & Captain who always gives more than 100% on the pitch. Good luck for next season. COYR
I totally agree with Paul Caddis comments that Di Canio is vital to the clubs long term goals but I think that you are as well Paul. An excellent player & Captain who always gives more than 100% on the pitch. Good luck for next season. COYR Bondy54
  • Score: 0

9:08am Fri 25 May 12

London Red says...

In my opinion its no coincidence that Caddis has fully bought into the PdC ways and became a much better player because of it
.
Ritchie and Ferry too showed signs of this improvement - and both seem to be behind his methods
In my opinion its no coincidence that Caddis has fully bought into the PdC ways and became a much better player because of it . Ritchie and Ferry too showed signs of this improvement - and both seem to be behind his methods London Red
  • Score: 0

11:01am Fri 25 May 12

Stilloyal says...

Dr. Russ Clart wrote:
Stilloyal wrote:
Lazaat wrote:
Stilloyal wrote: Yes quite right Cadds he is crucial to the clubs success, but do some fans deserve him ?
Some don't but most do!
yep 90% plus and I 'm one of those, I've backed him and his judgement ever since I heard he was coming February last year.
how can you back someone 4 months before they are the manager?????????
Because if you've followed my posts since last February I've told you that Paolo was invited to be our manager back then. However not many believed me but hey presto !
[quote][p][bold]Dr. Russ Clart[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Stilloyal[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lazaat[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Stilloyal[/bold] wrote: Yes quite right Cadds he is crucial to the clubs success, but do some fans deserve him ?[/p][/quote]Some don't but most do![/p][/quote]yep 90% plus and I 'm one of those, I've backed him and his judgement ever since I heard he was coming February last year.[/p][/quote]how can you back someone 4 months before they are the manager?????????[/p][/quote]Because if you've followed my posts since last February I've told you that Paolo was invited to be our manager back then. However not many believed me but hey presto ! Stilloyal
  • Score: 0

1:08pm Fri 25 May 12

LeGod says...

i would say 99% of fans are in agreement with Caddis on Paolo as he has brought a buzz to the place and a feel good factor which we have been missing for a long time but also the like of our key players like Caddis,Ritchie,McCor
mack,Ferry,Flint,Ben
son,Foderingham are also key to our success and if we can add Mccleverly and Holmes and a few additions they will all be a key part to our success moving forward.
On your comment stillloyal most managers get invited to be a manager as they get interviewed and then get invited to take the job over and Swindon in their history when you compare us to alot of clubs have had the balls to take on ex players that want to get into managment Macari,Hoddle,Ardill
es,McMahon,Wise and now Paolo and all have which have had success at our club.
Its quiet now which people keep wittering on about as its the same every season as players are still under contracts at their clubs so no club can move until the contracts are at an end in June.
The only ins and outs are players that have been released by clubs and seeking new clubs so i dont understand all the panic with budgets etc yet.
Paolo no doubt will bring in some quality players with L1 experience as he has learnt big time from last season.
i would say 99% of fans are in agreement with Caddis on Paolo as he has brought a buzz to the place and a feel good factor which we have been missing for a long time but also the like of our key players like Caddis,Ritchie,McCor mack,Ferry,Flint,Ben son,Foderingham are also key to our success and if we can add Mccleverly and Holmes and a few additions they will all be a key part to our success moving forward. On your comment stillloyal most managers get invited to be a manager as they get interviewed and then get invited to take the job over and Swindon in their history when you compare us to alot of clubs have had the balls to take on ex players that want to get into managment Macari,Hoddle,Ardill es,McMahon,Wise and now Paolo and all have which have had success at our club. Its quiet now which people keep wittering on about as its the same every season as players are still under contracts at their clubs so no club can move until the contracts are at an end in June. The only ins and outs are players that have been released by clubs and seeking new clubs so i dont understand all the panic with budgets etc yet. Paolo no doubt will bring in some quality players with L1 experience as he has learnt big time from last season. LeGod
  • Score: 0

1:29pm Fri 25 May 12

Stilloyal says...

Legod, exactly , people forget that this is the holiday period for football as boring as it may be.
I look forward to seeing some exctement after next week when Paolo returns.
Legod, exactly , people forget that this is the holiday period for football as boring as it may be. I look forward to seeing some exctement after next week when Paolo returns. Stilloyal
  • Score: 0

1:29pm Fri 25 May 12

toshman says...

We do seem to have slowed again, not much positive news on dicanio, hope we don't see a return to the fitton days when we moved at a snails pace
We do seem to have slowed again, not much positive news on dicanio, hope we don't see a return to the fitton days when we moved at a snails pace toshman
  • Score: 0

1:57pm Fri 25 May 12

LeGod says...

Toshman - i dont understand the panic on Paolo he's staying at least for another season with us but hopefully longer.

Dont panic Captain Mainwaring
Toshman - i dont understand the panic on Paolo he's staying at least for another season with us but hopefully longer. Dont panic Captain Mainwaring LeGod
  • Score: 0

1:57pm Fri 25 May 12

avo says...

FFS give everyone at the club a break huh? Everyone deserves a bit of time off don't you think?
FFS give everyone at the club a break huh? Everyone deserves a bit of time off don't you think? avo
  • Score: 0

3:41pm Fri 25 May 12

dreamofacleansheet2 says...

Stillloyal believe you on Paolo being offered the job in Feb, but he was insistent he did a full pre season. One of the things that makes me relax about losing him during a season. But I'm relaxed about him staying anyway. When we go up next year he'll take the back to back to back challenge as there is no downside for him!
Stillloyal believe you on Paolo being offered the job in Feb, but he was insistent he did a full pre season. One of the things that makes me relax about losing him during a season. But I'm relaxed about him staying anyway. When we go up next year he'll take the back to back to back challenge as there is no downside for him! dreamofacleansheet2
  • Score: 0

7:06pm Fri 25 May 12

jam1 says...

dont know if anyones seen the article from jeremy wray on bbc sport, basically saying he'd resign if he thought he was harming the club with regards to the mccormick issue. Do all the people who are slating his stance on the issue realise they are questioning the mans integrity?? Would you rather he resigned and perhaps paolo as well? Would that make you happy!!?? We should be proud to have jeremy as our chairman, he's an honourable man and is nick watkins and of course paolo. They are intelligent men, who obviously haven't made their decision on a whim... As painful as this issue is for the family involved in this tragedy, you either trust and back the boards decision as i have, or you are against them and risk losing them
dont know if anyones seen the article from jeremy wray on bbc sport, basically saying he'd resign if he thought he was harming the club with regards to the mccormick issue. Do all the people who are slating his stance on the issue realise they are questioning the mans integrity?? Would you rather he resigned and perhaps paolo as well? Would that make you happy!!?? We should be proud to have jeremy as our chairman, he's an honourable man and is nick watkins and of course paolo. They are intelligent men, who obviously haven't made their decision on a whim... As painful as this issue is for the family involved in this tragedy, you either trust and back the boards decision as i have, or you are against them and risk losing them jam1
  • Score: 0

8:08pm Fri 25 May 12

HardwickeRed says...

jam1 wrote:
dont know if anyones seen the article from jeremy wray on bbc sport, basically saying he'd resign if he thought he was harming the club with regards to the mccormick issue. Do all the people who are slating his stance on the issue realise they are questioning the mans integrity?? Would you rather he resigned and perhaps paolo as well? Would that make you happy!!?? We should be proud to have jeremy as our chairman, he's an honourable man and is nick watkins and of course paolo. They are intelligent men, who obviously haven't made their decision on a whim... As painful as this issue is for the family involved in this tragedy, you either trust and back the boards decision as i have, or you are against them and risk losing them
Agree with that. Some of the comments this week re: returning season tickets etc have been shamefull and embarrasing by people who claim to be fans of the club.
ps What exactly is a family club?
[quote][p][bold]jam1[/bold] wrote: dont know if anyones seen the article from jeremy wray on bbc sport, basically saying he'd resign if he thought he was harming the club with regards to the mccormick issue. Do all the people who are slating his stance on the issue realise they are questioning the mans integrity?? Would you rather he resigned and perhaps paolo as well? Would that make you happy!!?? We should be proud to have jeremy as our chairman, he's an honourable man and is nick watkins and of course paolo. They are intelligent men, who obviously haven't made their decision on a whim... As painful as this issue is for the family involved in this tragedy, you either trust and back the boards decision as i have, or you are against them and risk losing them[/p][/quote]Agree with that. Some of the comments this week re: returning season tickets etc have been shamefull and embarrasing by people who claim to be fans of the club. ps What exactly is a family club? HardwickeRed
  • Score: 0

9:32pm Fri 25 May 12

graham81 says...

HardwickeRed wrote:
jam1 wrote:
dont know if anyones seen the article from jeremy wray on bbc sport, basically saying he'd resign if he thought he was harming the club with regards to the mccormick issue. Do all the people who are slating his stance on the issue realise they are questioning the mans integrity?? Would you rather he resigned and perhaps paolo as well? Would that make you happy!!?? We should be proud to have jeremy as our chairman, he's an honourable man and is nick watkins and of course paolo. They are intelligent men, who obviously haven't made their decision on a whim... As painful as this issue is for the family involved in this tragedy, you either trust and back the boards decision as i have, or you are against them and risk losing them
Agree with that. Some of the comments this week re: returning season tickets etc have been shamefull and embarrasing by people who claim to be fans of the club.
ps What exactly is a family club?
I wouldn't say shameful and embarrassing, I'd say its people living by their morals. Some people can get on with the decision some people can't and for those that can't I can see their point of view
[quote][p][bold]HardwickeRed[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jam1[/bold] wrote: dont know if anyones seen the article from jeremy wray on bbc sport, basically saying he'd resign if he thought he was harming the club with regards to the mccormick issue. Do all the people who are slating his stance on the issue realise they are questioning the mans integrity?? Would you rather he resigned and perhaps paolo as well? Would that make you happy!!?? We should be proud to have jeremy as our chairman, he's an honourable man and is nick watkins and of course paolo. They are intelligent men, who obviously haven't made their decision on a whim... As painful as this issue is for the family involved in this tragedy, you either trust and back the boards decision as i have, or you are against them and risk losing them[/p][/quote]Agree with that. Some of the comments this week re: returning season tickets etc have been shamefull and embarrasing by people who claim to be fans of the club. ps What exactly is a family club?[/p][/quote]I wouldn't say shameful and embarrassing, I'd say its people living by their morals. Some people can get on with the decision some people can't and for those that can't I can see their point of view graham81
  • Score: 0

11:54pm Fri 25 May 12

joey butler says...

jam1 wrote:
dont know if anyones seen the article from jeremy wray on bbc sport, basically saying he'd resign if he thought he was harming the club with regards to the mccormick issue. Do all the people who are slating his stance on the issue realise they are questioning the mans integrity?? Would you rather he resigned and perhaps paolo as well? Would that make you happy!!?? We should be proud to have jeremy as our chairman, he's an honourable man and is nick watkins and of course paolo. They are intelligent men, who obviously haven't made their decision on a whim... As painful as this issue is for the family involved in this tragedy, you either trust and back the boards decision as i have, or you are against them and risk losing them
Well I would be very happy for Mr Wray to resign, his credibility is totally destroyed. I do think he is a very decent man and will understand he has no way back from here.

And I would be happy for him to take PDC with him, who is quite simply a disaster waiting to happen.
[quote][p][bold]jam1[/bold] wrote: dont know if anyones seen the article from jeremy wray on bbc sport, basically saying he'd resign if he thought he was harming the club with regards to the mccormick issue. Do all the people who are slating his stance on the issue realise they are questioning the mans integrity?? Would you rather he resigned and perhaps paolo as well? Would that make you happy!!?? We should be proud to have jeremy as our chairman, he's an honourable man and is nick watkins and of course paolo. They are intelligent men, who obviously haven't made their decision on a whim... As painful as this issue is for the family involved in this tragedy, you either trust and back the boards decision as i have, or you are against them and risk losing them[/p][/quote]Well I would be very happy for Mr Wray to resign, his credibility is totally destroyed. I do think he is a very decent man and will understand he has no way back from here. And I would be happy for him to take PDC with him, who is quite simply a disaster waiting to happen. joey butler
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree