Swindon AdvertiserChampionship comes before sentimentality (From Swindon Advertiser)

Get involved! Send photos, video, news & views. Text SWINDON NEWS to 80360 or email us

Championship comes before sentimentality

Swindon Advertiser: Championship comes before sentimentality Championship comes before sentimentality

THERE can be no room for sentiment at Swindon Town as the Robins aim for back to back promotions, according to interim chairman Jeremy Wray.

Following elevation from League Two last term, Town’s management have set the target of a return to the Championship within two years.

To do that boss Paolo Di Canio wants to rebuild his playing staff, meaning several of the squad which claimed the League Two title are set to be offloaded.

And Wray has stressed that, while the club will be forever thankful to those individuals who will leave the County Ground in the coming days, emotions must be put to one side if Swindon are to match their ambitions in the coming months.

“You’re sympathetic in terms of saying ‘these are good guys’ but I’m not in the business of being too emotional about the whole thing. Football’s not like that,” he said.

“If we’re committed to what we say and we are genuine to what we say to Paolo - that we are trying to build a team that goes straight to the Championship - there isn’t any room for that type of sentiment, unfortunately, otherwise you’ll end up with a squad of 40 players who are all terribly nice guys but 25 of them aren’t quite good enough for where you need to be going next.

“You can’t do that, so you can’t shy away from the having the conversation of saying ‘thanks very much, you’ve done a great job, you’ve got us where we need to go but for the next jump we believe we’re going to need to bring other people in.’”

Town are expected to start announcing their summer signings this week, with Di Canio keen to bring in up to eight new faces before the beginning of next season.

But Wray emphasised that the Italian believes many of the current crop are good enough to forge a career in English football’s second tier.

“He (Di Canio) has been quite open that some of the people here, he’s got no doubt that they can go all the way and be part of his plans all the way through,” he said.

“Others he feels have reached a level or are at a level where he can’t be confident that they’re not good enough to carry us forward and that’s why he’s looking at bringing in seven or eight players.”

Comments (33)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:39am Mon 18 Jun 12

matt69andover says...

oh its 8 players now? Always thought it was being reported as 4?
oh its 8 players now? Always thought it was being reported as 4? matt69andover
  • Score: 0

6:51am Mon 18 Jun 12

jam1 says...

matt69andover wrote:
oh its 8 players now? Always thought it was being reported as 4?
no it was always 7 or 8
[quote][p][bold]matt69andover[/bold] wrote: oh its 8 players now? Always thought it was being reported as 4?[/p][/quote]no it was always 7 or 8 jam1
  • Score: 0

6:57am Mon 18 Jun 12

London Red says...

This is STILL part of the same podcast which was released on 8 June!
.
How many days and how many articles have the adver now spin these over????
.
As for incoming it was always 7 or 8 but with current set up he could get 5
.
He needs to move on 5 or 6 to free up the cash to get the last 3
This is STILL part of the same podcast which was released on 8 June! . How many days and how many articles have the adver now spin these over???? . As for incoming it was always 7 or 8 but with current set up he could get 5 . He needs to move on 5 or 6 to free up the cash to get the last 3 London Red
  • Score: 0

7:00am Mon 18 Jun 12

London Red says...

spun even
spun even London Red
  • Score: 0

7:14am Mon 18 Jun 12

Rebel_phish says...

Same ol' padding.

Doesn't matter how many in or out.... I sure it will be reported as sensational news. Just tell who, when you know.

In Paolo and Jeremy we trust.
Same ol' padding. Doesn't matter how many in or out.... I sure it will be reported as sensational news. Just tell who, when you know. In Paolo and Jeremy we trust. Rebel_phish
  • Score: 0

7:16am Mon 18 Jun 12

International Robin2 says...

Old news, but it's without a doubt I agree with Wray. Players these days show little loyalty to a club so why should a club show any loyalty back. These days it's all about if it suits both parties.. If it doesn't, Cheerio!
Old news, but it's without a doubt I agree with Wray. Players these days show little loyalty to a club so why should a club show any loyalty back. These days it's all about if it suits both parties.. If it doesn't, Cheerio! International Robin2
  • Score: 0

7:32am Mon 18 Jun 12

Lazaat says...

Fixtures being released at 11am this morning.
Fixtures being released at 11am this morning. Lazaat
  • Score: 0

7:44am Mon 18 Jun 12

hullreds says...

Thanks Lazaat, that's what i came to find out this morning!

Hopefully there is going to be some real news for the Adver to report on this week :-)

COYRsss!!!!!!
Thanks Lazaat, that's what i came to find out this morning! Hopefully there is going to be some real news for the Adver to report on this week :-) COYRsss!!!!!! hullreds
  • Score: 0

7:45am Mon 18 Jun 12

35yrRED says...

Lazaat wrote:
Fixtures being released at 11am this morning.
Lazaat, on sky they are flashing it up that they are being released from 9am this morning!!! Wouldn't want you to miss it!!! I thought it was from 11am as well.
[quote][p][bold]Lazaat[/bold] wrote: Fixtures being released at 11am this morning.[/p][/quote]Lazaat, on sky they are flashing it up that they are being released from 9am this morning!!! Wouldn't want you to miss it!!! I thought it was from 11am as well. 35yrRED
  • Score: 0

7:54am Mon 18 Jun 12

LeGod says...

i hear were set to sign Gary Roberts from Huddersfield - good signing.
i hear were set to sign Gary Roberts from Huddersfield - good signing. LeGod
  • Score: 0

8:06am Mon 18 Jun 12

LionelHutz says...

International Robin2 wrote:
Old news, but it's without a doubt I agree with Wray. Players these days show little loyalty to a club so why should a club show any loyalty back. These days it's all about if it suits both parties.. If it doesn't, Cheerio!
Spot on. Players wouldn't think twice about leaving us if a better offer was to come in. Therefore we shouldn't think twice about ditching players we don't think are up to League One/Championship standard.

Fixtures are out at 9am.

Gary Roberts would be a good signing. Gary Roberts is our friend.
[quote][p][bold]International Robin2[/bold] wrote: Old news, but it's without a doubt I agree with Wray. Players these days show little loyalty to a club so why should a club show any loyalty back. These days it's all about if it suits both parties.. If it doesn't, Cheerio![/p][/quote]Spot on. Players wouldn't think twice about leaving us if a better offer was to come in. Therefore we shouldn't think twice about ditching players we don't think are up to League One/Championship standard. Fixtures are out at 9am. Gary Roberts would be a good signing. Gary Roberts is our friend. LionelHutz
  • Score: 0

8:23am Mon 18 Jun 12

Stfcsteve says...

Yawn yawn bloody yawn same s**t different day!!!
Yawn yawn bloody yawn same s**t different day!!! Stfcsteve
  • Score: 0

8:31am Mon 18 Jun 12

Stilloyal says...

LionelHutz wrote:
International Robin2 wrote: Old news, but it's without a doubt I agree with Wray. Players these days show little loyalty to a club so why should a club show any loyalty back. These days it's all about if it suits both parties.. If it doesn't, Cheerio!
Spot on. Players wouldn't think twice about leaving us if a better offer was to come in. Therefore we shouldn't think twice about ditching players we don't think are up to League One/Championship standard. Fixtures are out at 9am. Gary Roberts would be a good signing. Gary Roberts is our friend.
Exactly, if they're not good enough for the championship then they have to go.
Gary Roberts signing will according to Shaun Hodgets is gonna be a great signing, he's 28 and still got good legs.
Navarro and Williams are set to sign also so just 5 more .
30 minutes until the fixturs , Blades at home first game please.
[quote][p][bold]LionelHutz[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]International Robin2[/bold] wrote: Old news, but it's without a doubt I agree with Wray. Players these days show little loyalty to a club so why should a club show any loyalty back. These days it's all about if it suits both parties.. If it doesn't, Cheerio![/p][/quote]Spot on. Players wouldn't think twice about leaving us if a better offer was to come in. Therefore we shouldn't think twice about ditching players we don't think are up to League One/Championship standard. Fixtures are out at 9am. Gary Roberts would be a good signing. Gary Roberts is our friend.[/p][/quote]Exactly, if they're not good enough for the championship then they have to go. Gary Roberts signing will according to Shaun Hodgets is gonna be a great signing, he's 28 and still got good legs. Navarro and Williams are set to sign also so just 5 more . 30 minutes until the fixturs , Blades at home first game please. Stilloyal
  • Score: 0

8:45am Mon 18 Jun 12

the wizard says...

Whats happening about the Tahoue incident, the FA seem to be dragging their feet with that.

What stadium changes are there for next season ? Will the concessions be up to handling the larger crowds ?

Somebody wrote that the pitch was being relaid, ok how is that going ?

Will Stratton Bank be open more next season ?

What is the score now with match day parking, is there any provision for increased crowds over this past season ?

Any work been done on the awful PA ?

Has any resurfacing work been done to cure the lakes that appear after rainfall behind the Town End ?

Match day programme, is the format up for change again ?

Which charity will we be aligned with for next season ?

If we are having a friendly with Supermarine, are they a bit more prepared, as opposed to being caught out like they were last pre-season.

Come on Adver, if there isn't any new news then go and dig some up, talk to people, ask questions, find out what is happening around the stadium.
Whats happening about the Tahoue incident, the FA seem to be dragging their feet with that. What stadium changes are there for next season ? Will the concessions be up to handling the larger crowds ? Somebody wrote that the pitch was being relaid, ok how is that going ? Will Stratton Bank be open more next season ? What is the score now with match day parking, is there any provision for increased crowds over this past season ? Any work been done on the awful PA ? Has any resurfacing work been done to cure the lakes that appear after rainfall behind the Town End ? Match day programme, is the format up for change again ? Which charity will we be aligned with for next season ? If we are having a friendly with Supermarine, are they a bit more prepared, as opposed to being caught out like they were last pre-season. Come on Adver, if there isn't any new news then go and dig some up, talk to people, ask questions, find out what is happening around the stadium. the wizard
  • Score: 0

8:50am Mon 18 Jun 12

Stilloyal says...

Wiz , you need to tune in to BBC Wilts for info . The Adver is very lazy.
Someone from the paper was supposed to interview me re the 200 mile charity walk I'm starting on Wednesday, but they havn't bothered.
Wiz , you need to tune in to BBC Wilts for info . The Adver is very lazy. Someone from the paper was supposed to interview me re the 200 mile charity walk I'm starting on Wednesday, but they havn't bothered. Stilloyal
  • Score: 0

8:55am Mon 18 Jun 12

Stfcsteve says...

Bring back Gary Rose all those who agree say HEAR lol!!!
Bring back Gary Rose all those who agree say HEAR lol!!! Stfcsteve
  • Score: 0

8:56am Mon 18 Jun 12

Stilloyal says...

Stfcsteve wrote:
Bring back Gary Rose all those who agree say HEAR lol!!!
Hear, hear.
[quote][p][bold]Stfcsteve[/bold] wrote: Bring back Gary Rose all those who agree say HEAR lol!!![/p][/quote]Hear, hear. Stilloyal
  • Score: 0

9:00am Mon 18 Jun 12

who am i says...

Ha ha I see the adver knockers are out in force again. Damned if they do damned if they don't. Per season would be so boring without the adver especially when you ain't got local radio and Stfc player. Also bbc wilts website is so slow in updating the adver is the only place for some to get their Stfc fix. I'd rather have any old news than none at all and the adver simply don't have the resources for all the stories some want on here. I for one am very grateful for what the adver provides.
Ha ha I see the adver knockers are out in force again. Damned if they do damned if they don't. Per season would be so boring without the adver especially when you ain't got local radio and Stfc player. Also bbc wilts website is so slow in updating the adver is the only place for some to get their Stfc fix. I'd rather have any old news than none at all and the adver simply don't have the resources for all the stories some want on here. I for one am very grateful for what the adver provides. who am i
  • Score: 0

9:04am Mon 18 Jun 12

Stilloyal says...

Hsrtlepool away , then Crawley and M.K Dons home . Lat game at Scunny
Hsrtlepool away , then Crawley and M.K Dons home . Lat game at Scunny Stilloyal
  • Score: 0

9:15am Mon 18 Jun 12

Stilloyal says...

who am i wrote:
Ha ha I see the adver knockers are out in force again. Damned if they do damned if they don't. Per season would be so boring without the adver especially when you ain't got local radio and Stfc player. Also bbc wilts website is so slow in updating the adver is the only place for some to get their Stfc fix. I'd rather have any old news than none at all and the adver simply don't have the resources for all the stories some want on here. I for one am very grateful for what the adver provides.
I'm not normally an Adver knocker but over the last few weeks they have only pinched old news from the Beeb or the national press.
As Wiz suggests , this reporter has not got down to the C.G or lifted his phone to get his own exclusive news. Lazy !!
[quote][p][bold]who am i[/bold] wrote: Ha ha I see the adver knockers are out in force again. Damned if they do damned if they don't. Per season would be so boring without the adver especially when you ain't got local radio and Stfc player. Also bbc wilts website is so slow in updating the adver is the only place for some to get their Stfc fix. I'd rather have any old news than none at all and the adver simply don't have the resources for all the stories some want on here. I for one am very grateful for what the adver provides.[/p][/quote]I'm not normally an Adver knocker but over the last few weeks they have only pinched old news from the Beeb or the national press. As Wiz suggests , this reporter has not got down to the C.G or lifted his phone to get his own exclusive news. Lazy !! Stilloyal
  • Score: 0

9:25am Mon 18 Jun 12

who am i says...

Stilloyal wrote:
who am i wrote: Ha ha I see the adver knockers are out in force again. Damned if they do damned if they don't. Per season would be so boring without the adver especially when you ain't got local radio and Stfc player. Also bbc wilts website is so slow in updating the adver is the only place for some to get their Stfc fix. I'd rather have any old news than none at all and the adver simply don't have the resources for all the stories some want on here. I for one am very grateful for what the adver provides.
I'm not normally an Adver knocker but over the last few weeks they have only pinched old news from the Beeb or the national press. As Wiz suggests , this reporter has not got down to the C.G or lifted his phone to get his own exclusive news. Lazy !!
lol you know that for sure do you? How these things work is the have media meetings where pdc wray and Watkins holds interviews and all media outlets are present so they all get the same stories and print or publish them when they see fit. The bbc has always had a close link to the club ever since shawn hodgets joined so they might on occasions get the nod on a story hardly the advers fault. I'm not here to argue the adver case but really people need to get things into perspective after all your talking about a small local paper not a red top and we all know how big the bbc are.
[quote][p][bold]Stilloyal[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]who am i[/bold] wrote: Ha ha I see the adver knockers are out in force again. Damned if they do damned if they don't. Per season would be so boring without the adver especially when you ain't got local radio and Stfc player. Also bbc wilts website is so slow in updating the adver is the only place for some to get their Stfc fix. I'd rather have any old news than none at all and the adver simply don't have the resources for all the stories some want on here. I for one am very grateful for what the adver provides.[/p][/quote]I'm not normally an Adver knocker but over the last few weeks they have only pinched old news from the Beeb or the national press. As Wiz suggests , this reporter has not got down to the C.G or lifted his phone to get his own exclusive news. Lazy !![/p][/quote]lol you know that for sure do you? How these things work is the have media meetings where pdc wray and Watkins holds interviews and all media outlets are present so they all get the same stories and print or publish them when they see fit. The bbc has always had a close link to the club ever since shawn hodgets joined so they might on occasions get the nod on a story hardly the advers fault. I'm not here to argue the adver case but really people need to get things into perspective after all your talking about a small local paper not a red top and we all know how big the bbc are. who am i
  • Score: 0

9:37am Mon 18 Jun 12

the wizard says...

I did a gogle on Gary Rose last night, very late and yes I may have got it wrong, but from what I could see, where does he work now ???? The BBC.
I did a gogle on Gary Rose last night, very late and yes I may have got it wrong, but from what I could see, where does he work now ???? The BBC. the wizard
  • Score: 0

9:47am Mon 18 Jun 12

Stilloyal says...

who am i wrote:
Stilloyal wrote:
who am i wrote: Ha ha I see the adver knockers are out in force again. Damned if they do damned if they don't. Per season would be so boring without the adver especially when you ain't got local radio and Stfc player. Also bbc wilts website is so slow in updating the adver is the only place for some to get their Stfc fix. I'd rather have any old news than none at all and the adver simply don't have the resources for all the stories some want on here. I for one am very grateful for what the adver provides.
I'm not normally an Adver knocker but over the last few weeks they have only pinched old news from the Beeb or the national press. As Wiz suggests , this reporter has not got down to the C.G or lifted his phone to get his own exclusive news. Lazy !!
lol you know that for sure do you? How these things work is the have media meetings where pdc wray and Watkins holds interviews and all media outlets are present so they all get the same stories and print or publish them when they see fit. The bbc has always had a close link to the club ever since shawn hodgets joined so they might on occasions get the nod on a story hardly the advers fault. I'm not here to argue the adver case but really people need to get things into perspective after all your talking about a small local paper not a red top and we all know how big the bbc are.
What I do know for certain is that during this close season every piece of news printed here is 2 /3 days behind everyone else.
It's not a small local paper , it's part of a bigger operation called newsquest. Now there is a clue for you, Newsquest suggests that they have a quest to find news , not publish history.
BTW the BEEB may be a big organisation but they are having to make big cuts to their programming and staff.
Lets see who is first with news of the first signing today, the Adver or the Beeb. The Adver have not mentioned Gary Roberts yet even though it's in the nationals and on the radio.
[quote][p][bold]who am i[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Stilloyal[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]who am i[/bold] wrote: Ha ha I see the adver knockers are out in force again. Damned if they do damned if they don't. Per season would be so boring without the adver especially when you ain't got local radio and Stfc player. Also bbc wilts website is so slow in updating the adver is the only place for some to get their Stfc fix. I'd rather have any old news than none at all and the adver simply don't have the resources for all the stories some want on here. I for one am very grateful for what the adver provides.[/p][/quote]I'm not normally an Adver knocker but over the last few weeks they have only pinched old news from the Beeb or the national press. As Wiz suggests , this reporter has not got down to the C.G or lifted his phone to get his own exclusive news. Lazy !![/p][/quote]lol you know that for sure do you? How these things work is the have media meetings where pdc wray and Watkins holds interviews and all media outlets are present so they all get the same stories and print or publish them when they see fit. The bbc has always had a close link to the club ever since shawn hodgets joined so they might on occasions get the nod on a story hardly the advers fault. I'm not here to argue the adver case but really people need to get things into perspective after all your talking about a small local paper not a red top and we all know how big the bbc are.[/p][/quote]What I do know for certain is that during this close season every piece of news printed here is 2 /3 days behind everyone else. It's not a small local paper , it's part of a bigger operation called newsquest. Now there is a clue for you, Newsquest suggests that they have a quest to find news , not publish history. BTW the BEEB may be a big organisation but they are having to make big cuts to their programming and staff. Lets see who is first with news of the first signing today, the Adver or the Beeb. The Adver have not mentioned Gary Roberts yet even though it's in the nationals and on the radio. Stilloyal
  • Score: 0

9:57am Mon 18 Jun 12

Oi Den! says...

Stilloyal wrote:
LionelHutz wrote:
International Robin2 wrote: Old news, but it's without a doubt I agree with Wray. Players these days show little loyalty to a club so why should a club show any loyalty back. These days it's all about if it suits both parties.. If it doesn't, Cheerio!
Spot on. Players wouldn't think twice about leaving us if a better offer was to come in. Therefore we shouldn't think twice about ditching players we don't think are up to League One/Championship standard. Fixtures are out at 9am. Gary Roberts would be a good signing. Gary Roberts is our friend.
Exactly, if they're not good enough for the championship then they have to go.
Gary Roberts signing will according to Shaun Hodgets is gonna be a great signing, he's 28 and still got good legs.
Navarro and Williams are set to sign also so just 5 more .
30 minutes until the fixturs , Blades at home first game please.
Loyal: "If they're not good enough for the Championship they have to go"? I think that's getting ahead of ourselves. We need a team capable of challenging for promotion. That means a team comprised mainly of players who are good at this level, with perhaps a few who would be comfortable one step higher. I believe that's what we had last season, and the same again would do very nicely. Your suggestion is very appealing but I don't see how we can attract or afford to build a 2nd tier side in the 3rd. One step at a time has to be the motto.
[quote][p][bold]Stilloyal[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]LionelHutz[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]International Robin2[/bold] wrote: Old news, but it's without a doubt I agree with Wray. Players these days show little loyalty to a club so why should a club show any loyalty back. These days it's all about if it suits both parties.. If it doesn't, Cheerio![/p][/quote]Spot on. Players wouldn't think twice about leaving us if a better offer was to come in. Therefore we shouldn't think twice about ditching players we don't think are up to League One/Championship standard. Fixtures are out at 9am. Gary Roberts would be a good signing. Gary Roberts is our friend.[/p][/quote]Exactly, if they're not good enough for the championship then they have to go. Gary Roberts signing will according to Shaun Hodgets is gonna be a great signing, he's 28 and still got good legs. Navarro and Williams are set to sign also so just 5 more . 30 minutes until the fixturs , Blades at home first game please.[/p][/quote]Loyal: "If they're not good enough for the Championship they have to go"? I think that's getting ahead of ourselves. We need a team capable of challenging for promotion. That means a team comprised mainly of players who are good at this level, with perhaps a few who would be comfortable one step higher. I believe that's what we had last season, and the same again would do very nicely. Your suggestion is very appealing but I don't see how we can attract or afford to build a 2nd tier side in the 3rd. One step at a time has to be the motto. Oi Den!
  • Score: 0

10:06am Mon 18 Jun 12

mallorca says...

Just heard on BBC announcements later today.Looking at fixture sept 5 away games?????? crazy still they have to be played.
Just heard on BBC announcements later today.Looking at fixture sept 5 away games?????? crazy still they have to be played. mallorca
  • Score: 0

10:09am Mon 18 Jun 12

Stilloyal says...

Oi Den! wrote:
Stilloyal wrote:
LionelHutz wrote:
International Robin2 wrote: Old news, but it's without a doubt I agree with Wray. Players these days show little loyalty to a club so why should a club show any loyalty back. These days it's all about if it suits both parties.. If it doesn't, Cheerio!
Spot on. Players wouldn't think twice about leaving us if a better offer was to come in. Therefore we shouldn't think twice about ditching players we don't think are up to League One/Championship standard. Fixtures are out at 9am. Gary Roberts would be a good signing. Gary Roberts is our friend.
Exactly, if they're not good enough for the championship then they have to go. Gary Roberts signing will according to Shaun Hodgets is gonna be a great signing, he's 28 and still got good legs. Navarro and Williams are set to sign also so just 5 more . 30 minutes until the fixturs , Blades at home first game please.
Loyal: "If they're not good enough for the Championship they have to go"? I think that's getting ahead of ourselves. We need a team capable of challenging for promotion. That means a team comprised mainly of players who are good at this level, with perhaps a few who would be comfortable one step higher. I believe that's what we had last season, and the same again would do very nicely. Your suggestion is very appealing but I don't see how we can attract or afford to build a 2nd tier side in the 3rd. One step at a time has to be the motto.
Even J.W says that some of those that were good for us last seasom , won't be good enough this.
We are supposedly building a team this season that can challenge in the Championship.
I'm just repeating what the C.G supremo's are saying.
[quote][p][bold]Oi Den![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Stilloyal[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]LionelHutz[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]International Robin2[/bold] wrote: Old news, but it's without a doubt I agree with Wray. Players these days show little loyalty to a club so why should a club show any loyalty back. These days it's all about if it suits both parties.. If it doesn't, Cheerio![/p][/quote]Spot on. Players wouldn't think twice about leaving us if a better offer was to come in. Therefore we shouldn't think twice about ditching players we don't think are up to League One/Championship standard. Fixtures are out at 9am. Gary Roberts would be a good signing. Gary Roberts is our friend.[/p][/quote]Exactly, if they're not good enough for the championship then they have to go. Gary Roberts signing will according to Shaun Hodgets is gonna be a great signing, he's 28 and still got good legs. Navarro and Williams are set to sign also so just 5 more . 30 minutes until the fixturs , Blades at home first game please.[/p][/quote]Loyal: "If they're not good enough for the Championship they have to go"? I think that's getting ahead of ourselves. We need a team capable of challenging for promotion. That means a team comprised mainly of players who are good at this level, with perhaps a few who would be comfortable one step higher. I believe that's what we had last season, and the same again would do very nicely. Your suggestion is very appealing but I don't see how we can attract or afford to build a 2nd tier side in the 3rd. One step at a time has to be the motto.[/p][/quote]Even J.W says that some of those that were good for us last seasom , won't be good enough this. We are supposedly building a team this season that can challenge in the Championship. I'm just repeating what the C.G supremo's are saying. Stilloyal
  • Score: 0

10:17am Mon 18 Jun 12

the wizard says...

mallorca wrote:
Just heard on BBC announcements later today.Looking at fixture sept 5 away games?????? crazy still they have to be played.
The GOOD news about that is we also get a string of home games as well at some point. The downside to that is after the string of home games, you get withdrawal problems. Nothing like a good strong dose of "Town" on a Saturday, it gets in your blood.
[quote][p][bold]mallorca[/bold] wrote: Just heard on BBC announcements later today.Looking at fixture sept 5 away games?????? crazy still they have to be played.[/p][/quote]The GOOD news about that is we also get a string of home games as well at some point. The downside to that is after the string of home games, you get withdrawal problems. Nothing like a good strong dose of "Town" on a Saturday, it gets in your blood. the wizard
  • Score: 0

10:24am Mon 18 Jun 12

hertz says...

Excuse me Mr Wray , but if there is no room for sentiment what is McComick doing here ?
Excuse me Mr Wray , but if there is no room for sentiment what is McComick doing here ? hertz
  • Score: 0

10:28am Mon 18 Jun 12

Oi Den! says...

Stilloyal wrote:
Oi Den! wrote:
Stilloyal wrote:
LionelHutz wrote:
International Robin2 wrote: Old news, but it's without a doubt I agree with Wray. Players these days show little loyalty to a club so why should a club show any loyalty back. These days it's all about if it suits both parties.. If it doesn't, Cheerio!
Spot on. Players wouldn't think twice about leaving us if a better offer was to come in. Therefore we shouldn't think twice about ditching players we don't think are up to League One/Championship standard. Fixtures are out at 9am. Gary Roberts would be a good signing. Gary Roberts is our friend.
Exactly, if they're not good enough for the championship then they have to go. Gary Roberts signing will according to Shaun Hodgets is gonna be a great signing, he's 28 and still got good legs. Navarro and Williams are set to sign also so just 5 more . 30 minutes until the fixturs , Blades at home first game please.
Loyal: "If they're not good enough for the Championship they have to go"? I think that's getting ahead of ourselves. We need a team capable of challenging for promotion. That means a team comprised mainly of players who are good at this level, with perhaps a few who would be comfortable one step higher. I believe that's what we had last season, and the same again would do very nicely. Your suggestion is very appealing but I don't see how we can attract or afford to build a 2nd tier side in the 3rd. One step at a time has to be the motto.
Even J.W says that some of those that were good for us last seasom , won't be good enough this.
We are supposedly building a team this season that can challenge in the Championship.
I'm just repeating what the C.G supremo's are saying.
Sorry if it seems I'm nit-picking but I don't think JW and co are saying we only want players who are good enough for the Championship. They are saying we need players good enough to get us there. When (if?) we get there, those who are not good enough for that level will be moved on - which is what is happening now. Not all the players who got us to this level will be good enough to play in it. You add more quality as you move up the ladder.
[quote][p][bold]Stilloyal[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Oi Den![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Stilloyal[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]LionelHutz[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]International Robin2[/bold] wrote: Old news, but it's without a doubt I agree with Wray. Players these days show little loyalty to a club so why should a club show any loyalty back. These days it's all about if it suits both parties.. If it doesn't, Cheerio![/p][/quote]Spot on. Players wouldn't think twice about leaving us if a better offer was to come in. Therefore we shouldn't think twice about ditching players we don't think are up to League One/Championship standard. Fixtures are out at 9am. Gary Roberts would be a good signing. Gary Roberts is our friend.[/p][/quote]Exactly, if they're not good enough for the championship then they have to go. Gary Roberts signing will according to Shaun Hodgets is gonna be a great signing, he's 28 and still got good legs. Navarro and Williams are set to sign also so just 5 more . 30 minutes until the fixturs , Blades at home first game please.[/p][/quote]Loyal: "If they're not good enough for the Championship they have to go"? I think that's getting ahead of ourselves. We need a team capable of challenging for promotion. That means a team comprised mainly of players who are good at this level, with perhaps a few who would be comfortable one step higher. I believe that's what we had last season, and the same again would do very nicely. Your suggestion is very appealing but I don't see how we can attract or afford to build a 2nd tier side in the 3rd. One step at a time has to be the motto.[/p][/quote]Even J.W says that some of those that were good for us last seasom , won't be good enough this. We are supposedly building a team this season that can challenge in the Championship. I'm just repeating what the C.G supremo's are saying.[/p][/quote]Sorry if it seems I'm nit-picking but I don't think JW and co are saying we only want players who are good enough for the Championship. They are saying we need players good enough to get us there. When (if?) we get there, those who are not good enough for that level will be moved on - which is what is happening now. Not all the players who got us to this level will be good enough to play in it. You add more quality as you move up the ladder. Oi Den!
  • Score: 0

10:28am Mon 18 Jun 12

jfl says...

mallorca wrote:
Just heard on BBC announcements later today.Looking at fixture sept 5 away games?????? crazy still they have to be played.
I can only see four away games in September. Who is the 5th away game against?
[quote][p][bold]mallorca[/bold] wrote: Just heard on BBC announcements later today.Looking at fixture sept 5 away games?????? crazy still they have to be played.[/p][/quote]I can only see four away games in September. Who is the 5th away game against? jfl
  • Score: 0

11:36am Mon 18 Jun 12

the wizard says...

Sky Sports are now reporting both Williams(ex Yeovil) and James Collins(ex Shrews) are Town bound.

See

http://www1.skysport
s.com/transfer-centr
e/clockwatch
Sky Sports are now reporting both Williams(ex Yeovil) and James Collins(ex Shrews) are Town bound. See http://www1.skysport s.com/transfer-centr e/clockwatch the wizard
  • Score: 0

1:06pm Mon 18 Jun 12

London Red says...

I should be called Mystic Red!
.
Connell, Rooney, Benson and Holmes called correctly last year
.
This year I have suggested Navarro, Roberts and Collins who have now all been heavily linked!
.
If I can keep thes predictions up I would like Nathan Clarke as our new CB and our alternative Target Man to Benson to be Calvin Andrew (has the work rate to suit PdC and is only 27)
.
As for JW's calls - my interpretation was all of the exisitng retained list have been reviewed and only those deemed good enough to aid a challenge at the top of L1 will retained - with the rest being moved on
.
Then all new signings are viewed as being able to at least keep us 4th bottom in the Championship
I should be called Mystic Red! . Connell, Rooney, Benson and Holmes called correctly last year . This year I have suggested Navarro, Roberts and Collins who have now all been heavily linked! . If I can keep thes predictions up I would like Nathan Clarke as our new CB and our alternative Target Man to Benson to be Calvin Andrew (has the work rate to suit PdC and is only 27) . As for JW's calls - my interpretation was all of the exisitng retained list have been reviewed and only those deemed good enough to aid a challenge at the top of L1 will retained - with the rest being moved on . Then all new signings are viewed as being able to at least keep us 4th bottom in the Championship London Red
  • Score: 0

2:32pm Mon 18 Jun 12

Swindon1984 says...

London Red wrote:
I should be called Mystic Red! . Connell, Rooney, Benson and Holmes called correctly last year . This year I have suggested Navarro, Roberts and Collins who have now all been heavily linked! . If I can keep thes predictions up I would like Nathan Clarke as our new CB and our alternative Target Man to Benson to be Calvin Andrew (has the work rate to suit PdC and is only 27) . As for JW's calls - my interpretation was all of the exisitng retained list have been reviewed and only those deemed good enough to aid a challenge at the top of L1 will retained - with the rest being moved on . Then all new signings are viewed as being able to at least keep us 4th bottom in the Championship
Think it's called the "scattergun effect" :-)
[quote][p][bold]London Red[/bold] wrote: I should be called Mystic Red! . Connell, Rooney, Benson and Holmes called correctly last year . This year I have suggested Navarro, Roberts and Collins who have now all been heavily linked! . If I can keep thes predictions up I would like Nathan Clarke as our new CB and our alternative Target Man to Benson to be Calvin Andrew (has the work rate to suit PdC and is only 27) . As for JW's calls - my interpretation was all of the exisitng retained list have been reviewed and only those deemed good enough to aid a challenge at the top of L1 will retained - with the rest being moved on . Then all new signings are viewed as being able to at least keep us 4th bottom in the Championship[/p][/quote]Think it's called the "scattergun effect" :-) Swindon1984
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree