SWINDON TOWN: Di Canio fears promotion bid may slip without further loan signings

Swindon Advertiser: Swindon Town boss Paolo Di Canio on the touchline at Gigg Lane on Saturday Swindon Town boss Paolo Di Canio on the touchline at Gigg Lane on Saturday

PAOLO Di Canio is fearful Swindon Town’s promotion bid could be derailed if he is unable to bring in more players during the emergency loan window.

With Town banned from registering new signings due to the transfer embargo placed on the club, Di Canio is worried that he will not be able to draft in new recruits to deputise for some of his injured stars.

Gary Roberts and Alan McCormack missed the clash at Bury with respective groin and hamstring problems, while Andy Williams picked up a calf knock at Gigg Lane that could keep him out of action for up to three weeks.

And without the ability to dip into the loan market, Di Canio feels the opportunity to secure back-to-back promotions could slip from his grasp.

He said: “If you have one injury okay, if you have two injuries okay, but if you have four or five it is different.

“If (Matt) Ritchie has to play every game now and I don’t have a winger because Gary Roberts is injured, I can’t let him breath.

“In the last two games he looked in some way like a Blue Conference player. We didn’t show the quality in front.

“I’m not asking for another 10 players, another two players to come in and work in this way.

“Gary Roberts – main player, now McCormack who is the captain and the leader, then today Andy Williams.

“In 10 players it means 30 per cent of the players.

“Obviously we have the subs but a long run can be more difficult.

“I can choose other players in a wide area – I played Fede Bessone today – it’s my job.

“But obviously it will be difficult in the long run with some injuries.

“Now Andy Williams has got an injury, a calf problem.

“He’s played every game for 95 minutes and I didn’t have enough quality to give him a rest, with all respect because we have (Paul) Benson who can play one game at this level – in my opinion – and then needs a rest.

“We have (Adam) Rooney that you can see is not fit yet. He came without any sort of fitness level.

“This is the difficulty.

“I am sure that the manager counts a lot, I can improve my players maybe 25 per cent, but I am not God.

“I am one of the best managers, I am not God.”

Comments (15)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:22am Mon 8 Oct 12

UsernameSTFC says...

I can't help but feel this is just abit over the top and over dramatic? It might be a early Monday morning but I don't think it's as bad and the chances off Promotion slipping away from us?
I can't help but feel this is just abit over the top and over dramatic? It might be a early Monday morning but I don't think it's as bad and the chances off Promotion slipping away from us? UsernameSTFC

9:22am Mon 8 Oct 12

the wizard says...

I'd like to know the exact nature of the injuries we have to players and their expected recovery times.

Look at the conditions that even Wilson had to put up with and Canioman has enjoyed far greater freedom bringing in players.

Well he reckons he can develop them another 25%, OK , so lets do that, instead of grumbling at the Press.
I'd like to know the exact nature of the injuries we have to players and their expected recovery times. Look at the conditions that even Wilson had to put up with and Canioman has enjoyed far greater freedom bringing in players. Well he reckons he can develop them another 25%, OK , so lets do that, instead of grumbling at the Press. the wizard

9:46am Mon 8 Oct 12

Rebel_phish says...

I'm not critising Di Canio, as he is hungry for success. He wants to win. If we get promotion again then that improves his worth.

Yet PdC wanted to build his squad pre-season so that the players could gell as a team, have several weeks of training, to get fitness levels up, to be ready for the start of the season.

We hit the ground running - 4 wins and a draw in first 5 matches. Then we get the late signings and the results changed. By his own admission, some of the players that came late weren't as fit as he thought. They needed time to get fitness levels up.

So what is the difference now. If he wants to bring in a player to cover injuries, who's to say that once here, that palyer wont need time to be fit enough to play in the team. And by that time the original injured player may have recovered.

This embargo is nothing serious to worry about, the percentages are small, and, indirectly, not of our making, but we suffer.

It might be a blessing. Utitise the players in the squad. Let them step up - we may be surprised at what we already have.
I'm not critising Di Canio, as he is hungry for success. He wants to win. If we get promotion again then that improves his worth. Yet PdC wanted to build his squad pre-season so that the players could gell as a team, have several weeks of training, to get fitness levels up, to be ready for the start of the season. We hit the ground running - 4 wins and a draw in first 5 matches. Then we get the late signings and the results changed. By his own admission, some of the players that came late weren't as fit as he thought. They needed time to get fitness levels up. So what is the difference now. If he wants to bring in a player to cover injuries, who's to say that once here, that palyer wont need time to be fit enough to play in the team. And by that time the original injured player may have recovered. This embargo is nothing serious to worry about, the percentages are small, and, indirectly, not of our making, but we suffer. It might be a blessing. Utitise the players in the squad. Let them step up - we may be surprised at what we already have. Rebel_phish

10:04am Mon 8 Oct 12

RAYSPARROW says...

He needs to give Storey and Bostock a proper run out.
Thompson proved there is latent talent in the club.
He needs to give Storey and Bostock a proper run out. Thompson proved there is latent talent in the club. RAYSPARROW

10:41am Mon 8 Oct 12

Davethered says...

I can't understand why he's panicking. If you had a squad and a budget the size of stevenage , then you can panic .
A good tradesman works with the tools he's got at hand .We must still have about 22 fit pro's on the books , utilise them , and show us what you've got. There's no need for all this panicking. Just get on with the job
I can't understand why he's panicking. If you had a squad and a budget the size of stevenage , then you can panic . A good tradesman works with the tools he's got at hand .We must still have about 22 fit pro's on the books , utilise them , and show us what you've got. There's no need for all this panicking. Just get on with the job Davethered

11:27am Mon 8 Oct 12

BorisIsTheSpider says...

Agree with all the above. I think PDC is a good manager. But surely the test of a great manager at this level is learning to live within your means. It seems that everytime something does not go quite right PDC wants to go and get some more players. It occurred to me what the players must have thought after the Stoke game. According to PDC one of the greatest achievements in the club's history. So what does he do, goes and signs 5 more players. What did that say to the players who did so well at Stoke. As others have said a bit over the top from PDC and slightly sensationalist by the Adver as PDC made these comments before the clarification from Jeremy Wray.
Agree with all the above. I think PDC is a good manager. But surely the test of a great manager at this level is learning to live within your means. It seems that everytime something does not go quite right PDC wants to go and get some more players. It occurred to me what the players must have thought after the Stoke game. According to PDC one of the greatest achievements in the club's history. So what does he do, goes and signs 5 more players. What did that say to the players who did so well at Stoke. As others have said a bit over the top from PDC and slightly sensationalist by the Adver as PDC made these comments before the clarification from Jeremy Wray. BorisIsTheSpider

11:28am Mon 8 Oct 12

lord nikon says...

All the above posts i think are valid. We all love Di Canio and appreciate what he has done for the club but i cant help feeling he over reacts we have more than enough talent to cover positions Benson is capable of playing more than a few games in a row how must players feel when he talks like this its almost like there not really good enough. He bust his left nut to sign Bostock but never plays him all the players we have are his players he has had a full pre season as mentioned above he never admits to any tactical mistakes he never takes the blame for anything he messes with team.I Love him but He is starting to wind me up. Jeremy Wray is the driving force behind this club and i think its disrepectful of DI CAnio to start questioning him about the budget in my opinion with the money and backing he has had Wray should tell him to use what he has. We Dont need any more players end of.He will sign them then leave them on the bench so whats the point.Still think he's quality though
All the above posts i think are valid. We all love Di Canio and appreciate what he has done for the club but i cant help feeling he over reacts we have more than enough talent to cover positions Benson is capable of playing more than a few games in a row how must players feel when he talks like this its almost like there not really good enough. He bust his left nut to sign Bostock but never plays him all the players we have are his players he has had a full pre season as mentioned above he never admits to any tactical mistakes he never takes the blame for anything he messes with team.I Love him but He is starting to wind me up. Jeremy Wray is the driving force behind this club and i think its disrepectful of DI CAnio to start questioning him about the budget in my opinion with the money and backing he has had Wray should tell him to use what he has. We Dont need any more players end of.He will sign them then leave them on the bench so whats the point.Still think he's quality though lord nikon

1:09pm Mon 8 Oct 12

SeanG92 says...

If Bostock isn't going to get any time can we not send him back? And what about Coke going back? Has that not freed up some wages?
If Bostock isn't going to get any time can we not send him back? And what about Coke going back? Has that not freed up some wages? SeanG92

2:14pm Mon 8 Oct 12

swindonurock says...

lord nikon wrote:
All the above posts i think are valid. We all love Di Canio and appreciate what he has done for the club but i cant help feeling he over reacts we have more than enough talent to cover positions Benson is capable of playing more than a few games in a row how must players feel when he talks like this its almost like there not really good enough. He bust his left nut to sign Bostock but never plays him all the players we have are his players he has had a full pre season as mentioned above he never admits to any tactical mistakes he never takes the blame for anything he messes with team.I Love him but He is starting to wind me up. Jeremy Wray is the driving force behind this club and i think its disrepectful of DI CAnio to start questioning him about the budget in my opinion with the money and backing he has had Wray should tell him to use what he has. We Dont need any more players end of.He will sign them then leave them on the bench so whats the point.Still think he's quality though
I agree entirely.

The only reason I can think of that Di Canio is making an issue out of it is because he's no longer as confident as he was.

If, at the end of the season, we fail to win promotion, then he'll have a ready-made excuse that it was because he didn't have the funds/players, and not because of him.

Having said that I can't think for the life of me why he shouldn't feel confident with the resources he already has.

I like Di Canio, but Jeremy Wray needs to put him in his place on this one.
[quote][p][bold]lord nikon[/bold] wrote: All the above posts i think are valid. We all love Di Canio and appreciate what he has done for the club but i cant help feeling he over reacts we have more than enough talent to cover positions Benson is capable of playing more than a few games in a row how must players feel when he talks like this its almost like there not really good enough. He bust his left nut to sign Bostock but never plays him all the players we have are his players he has had a full pre season as mentioned above he never admits to any tactical mistakes he never takes the blame for anything he messes with team.I Love him but He is starting to wind me up. Jeremy Wray is the driving force behind this club and i think its disrepectful of DI CAnio to start questioning him about the budget in my opinion with the money and backing he has had Wray should tell him to use what he has. We Dont need any more players end of.He will sign them then leave them on the bench so whats the point.Still think he's quality though[/p][/quote]I agree entirely. The only reason I can think of that Di Canio is making an issue out of it is because he's no longer as confident as he was. If, at the end of the season, we fail to win promotion, then he'll have a ready-made excuse that it was because he didn't have the funds/players, and not because of him. Having said that I can't think for the life of me why he shouldn't feel confident with the resources he already has. I like Di Canio, but Jeremy Wray needs to put him in his place on this one. swindonurock

3:35pm Mon 8 Oct 12

DarrenSTFCRomain says...

swindonurock wrote:
lord nikon wrote: All the above posts i think are valid. We all love Di Canio and appreciate what he has done for the club but i cant help feeling he over reacts we have more than enough talent to cover positions Benson is capable of playing more than a few games in a row how must players feel when he talks like this its almost like there not really good enough. He bust his left nut to sign Bostock but never plays him all the players we have are his players he has had a full pre season as mentioned above he never admits to any tactical mistakes he never takes the blame for anything he messes with team.I Love him but He is starting to wind me up. Jeremy Wray is the driving force behind this club and i think its disrepectful of DI CAnio to start questioning him about the budget in my opinion with the money and backing he has had Wray should tell him to use what he has. We Dont need any more players end of.He will sign them then leave them on the bench so whats the point.Still think he's quality though
I agree entirely. The only reason I can think of that Di Canio is making an issue out of it is because he's no longer as confident as he was. If, at the end of the season, we fail to win promotion, then he'll have a ready-made excuse that it was because he didn't have the funds/players, and not because of him. Having said that I can't think for the life of me why he shouldn't feel confident with the resources he already has. I like Di Canio, but Jeremy Wray needs to put him in his place on this one.
Paolo cant have any excuse...
He has spent loads on shat player plus give them a 2 YEAR CONTRACT..
THEN WE PAY THE PLAYERS TO CANCLE THERE CONTRACT....Yes we have signed loads of good players but he still aint happy..
All this boils down to is very poor managment nothing else...
.
SO NO MORE SALKING PAOLO.GET ON WITH YA JOB AND USE THE 23 FIT PLAYERS THAT YOU HAVE LEFT..
You should be happy Paolo as there the players YOU WONTED...
.
[quote][p][bold]swindonurock[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]lord nikon[/bold] wrote: All the above posts i think are valid. We all love Di Canio and appreciate what he has done for the club but i cant help feeling he over reacts we have more than enough talent to cover positions Benson is capable of playing more than a few games in a row how must players feel when he talks like this its almost like there not really good enough. He bust his left nut to sign Bostock but never plays him all the players we have are his players he has had a full pre season as mentioned above he never admits to any tactical mistakes he never takes the blame for anything he messes with team.I Love him but He is starting to wind me up. Jeremy Wray is the driving force behind this club and i think its disrepectful of DI CAnio to start questioning him about the budget in my opinion with the money and backing he has had Wray should tell him to use what he has. We Dont need any more players end of.He will sign them then leave them on the bench so whats the point.Still think he's quality though[/p][/quote]I agree entirely. The only reason I can think of that Di Canio is making an issue out of it is because he's no longer as confident as he was. If, at the end of the season, we fail to win promotion, then he'll have a ready-made excuse that it was because he didn't have the funds/players, and not because of him. Having said that I can't think for the life of me why he shouldn't feel confident with the resources he already has. I like Di Canio, but Jeremy Wray needs to put him in his place on this one.[/p][/quote]Paolo cant have any excuse... He has spent loads on shat player plus give them a 2 YEAR CONTRACT.. THEN WE PAY THE PLAYERS TO CANCLE THERE CONTRACT....Yes we have signed loads of good players but he still aint happy.. All this boils down to is very poor managment nothing else... . SO NO MORE SALKING PAOLO.GET ON WITH YA JOB AND USE THE 23 FIT PLAYERS THAT YOU HAVE LEFT.. You should be happy Paolo as there the players YOU WONTED... . DarrenSTFCRomain

3:53pm Mon 8 Oct 12

Another view says...

I agree with all of the above, and am pleased to see that though the vast majority of us back Paolo all the way, we can accept that he is learning and making mistakes.

Half the teams in this division would probably be more than happy to sign up our fringe players, so we surely have enough to work with, especially if he brings in Bostock and Storey.
I agree with all of the above, and am pleased to see that though the vast majority of us back Paolo all the way, we can accept that he is learning and making mistakes. Half the teams in this division would probably be more than happy to sign up our fringe players, so we surely have enough to work with, especially if he brings in Bostock and Storey. Another view

7:20pm Mon 8 Oct 12

jayden says...

DarrenSTFCRomain wrote:
swindonurock wrote:
lord nikon wrote: All the above posts i think are valid. We all love Di Canio and appreciate what he has done for the club but i cant help feeling he over reacts we have more than enough talent to cover positions Benson is capable of playing more than a few games in a row how must players feel when he talks like this its almost like there not really good enough. He bust his left nut to sign Bostock but never plays him all the players we have are his players he has had a full pre season as mentioned above he never admits to any tactical mistakes he never takes the blame for anything he messes with team.I Love him but He is starting to wind me up. Jeremy Wray is the driving force behind this club and i think its disrepectful of DI CAnio to start questioning him about the budget in my opinion with the money and backing he has had Wray should tell him to use what he has. We Dont need any more players end of.He will sign them then leave them on the bench so whats the point.Still think he's quality though
I agree entirely. The only reason I can think of that Di Canio is making an issue out of it is because he's no longer as confident as he was. If, at the end of the season, we fail to win promotion, then he'll have a ready-made excuse that it was because he didn't have the funds/players, and not because of him. Having said that I can't think for the life of me why he shouldn't feel confident with the resources he already has. I like Di Canio, but Jeremy Wray needs to put him in his place on this one.
Paolo cant have any excuse...
He has spent loads on shat player plus give them a 2 YEAR CONTRACT..
THEN WE PAY THE PLAYERS TO CANCLE THERE CONTRACT....Yes we have signed loads of good players but he still aint happy..
All this boils down to is very poor managment nothing else...
.
SO NO MORE SALKING PAOLO.GET ON WITH YA JOB AND USE THE 23 FIT PLAYERS THAT YOU HAVE LEFT..
You should be happy Paolo as there the players YOU WONTED...
.
Good SHOUT Darren
[quote][p][bold]DarrenSTFCRomain[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]swindonurock[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]lord nikon[/bold] wrote: All the above posts i think are valid. We all love Di Canio and appreciate what he has done for the club but i cant help feeling he over reacts we have more than enough talent to cover positions Benson is capable of playing more than a few games in a row how must players feel when he talks like this its almost like there not really good enough. He bust his left nut to sign Bostock but never plays him all the players we have are his players he has had a full pre season as mentioned above he never admits to any tactical mistakes he never takes the blame for anything he messes with team.I Love him but He is starting to wind me up. Jeremy Wray is the driving force behind this club and i think its disrepectful of DI CAnio to start questioning him about the budget in my opinion with the money and backing he has had Wray should tell him to use what he has. We Dont need any more players end of.He will sign them then leave them on the bench so whats the point.Still think he's quality though[/p][/quote]I agree entirely. The only reason I can think of that Di Canio is making an issue out of it is because he's no longer as confident as he was. If, at the end of the season, we fail to win promotion, then he'll have a ready-made excuse that it was because he didn't have the funds/players, and not because of him. Having said that I can't think for the life of me why he shouldn't feel confident with the resources he already has. I like Di Canio, but Jeremy Wray needs to put him in his place on this one.[/p][/quote]Paolo cant have any excuse... He has spent loads on shat player plus give them a 2 YEAR CONTRACT.. THEN WE PAY THE PLAYERS TO CANCLE THERE CONTRACT....Yes we have signed loads of good players but he still aint happy.. All this boils down to is very poor managment nothing else... . SO NO MORE SALKING PAOLO.GET ON WITH YA JOB AND USE THE 23 FIT PLAYERS THAT YOU HAVE LEFT.. You should be happy Paolo as there the players YOU WONTED... .[/p][/quote]Good SHOUT Darren jayden

8:05pm Mon 8 Oct 12

bazmanswindon says...

I think Paolo is right. He needs to be able to sign emergency loans. Miles Storey is completely unproven at this level. Benson I don't think has enough quality at league 1 level and with seeing Luke Rooney having gone out on loan it looks like Di Canio doubts his abiltiy, I certainly doubt his consistincy.
I hope it gets resolved sooner rather than later and that the good results keep coming!!! COYR!!!
I think Paolo is right. He needs to be able to sign emergency loans. Miles Storey is completely unproven at this level. Benson I don't think has enough quality at league 1 level and with seeing Luke Rooney having gone out on loan it looks like Di Canio doubts his abiltiy, I certainly doubt his consistincy. I hope it gets resolved sooner rather than later and that the good results keep coming!!! COYR!!! bazmanswindon

6:46am Tue 9 Oct 12

Angolan Red says...

I doubt Decanios ability last season he could winge as he inherited the squad this season now they are all his imports work with the squad youve got or get out
I doubt Decanios ability last season he could winge as he inherited the squad this season now they are all his imports work with the squad youve got or get out Angolan Red

8:44pm Tue 9 Oct 12

swindon1969 says...

Ok then,we have a manager on a panick mode, why? we have one of the best teams in this league, its not the fault of Swindon town fc, its the fault of this ridiculous,tribunal stuff, hey maybe this goes back a while, lets fucx Swindon again, we know they dont like us, perhaps they were aware we were close to our limit,and then set the ball rolling in their favour.
Ok then,we have a manager on a panick mode, why? we have one of the best teams in this league, its not the fault of Swindon town fc, its the fault of this ridiculous,tribunal stuff, hey maybe this goes back a while, lets fucx Swindon again, we know they dont like us, perhaps they were aware we were close to our limit,and then set the ball rolling in their favour. swindon1969

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree