ROYAL Wootton Bassett Town manager Rich Hunter was full of praise for his side’s performance as they dispatched local rivals Fairford Town 3-1 to progress in the FA Vase.

Having picked up their first win of the season in mid-week, Hunter’s side headed into the cup game looking to build on that result.

Harvey Scholes broke the deadlock in the 15th minute in fine style as he curled an effort from just outside the box into the top corner.

The hosts’ lead was doubled in the 38th minute when Sam Collier dropped off his man in the box and his left foot found the bottom corner.

Fairford responded in the second half as they halved the deficit when Liam Gale showed composure on the edge of the box when a corner fell to him and he was able to beat Dan Lawrence.

However, Bassett booked their place in the next round when Sam Packer found the net with six minutes remaining to the delight of Hunter.

“It was a great result,” he said.

“I was very pleased with the performance and it was good to get through the first round.

“In the first half, we were very good and all over them in fairness.

“We could have been three or four goals up but we didn’t take our chances.

“Second half, because we were two goals up, we let them back in and they had a 10 or 15 minute spell where they looked lively.

“Once we got that third goal, it was game over really.”

However, Hunter, whose side return to league action on Wednesday night, will be working on finishing in training, but believes even more goals will come as his team build in confidence.

“If I was being picky, that would be one thing I was annoyed about last night, we weren’t ruthless enough and put the game to bed early on,” he added.

“It was just the quality in the final third and our finishing.

“We had nine corners in the first half and all nine, we won the headers but couldn’t put it on target.

“A bit composure in front of goal and having that ruthless streak to score the third, fourth or fifth goal.

“When you come up against better teams, you’re going to need to take your chances.

“We’ll work on that in training but it’s positive that we are creating those opportunities and I’m sure, once the lads start scoring, and we score more, that clinical side will come.”

Highworth Town will join Bassett in the draw for the next round after they comfortably beat Easington Sports 4-0 at The Elms.

Chris Taylor opened the scoring in just the 2nd minute, with Callum Parsons doubling the hosts’ advantage in the 40th minute before Kias Bonner-Shea scored the third just after the hour-mark.

New College crashed out as they were hammered 10-0 at home to Ampthill Town, while Shrivenham picked up a second win in Hellenic League Division One West with a 3-1 success at home to Headington Amateurs.