MICHAEL McNally says he has been left with a bitter taste in his mouth after being relieved of his duties at Shrivenham.

McNally was told his services were no longer required this morning, despite overseeing a 3-1 win over Headington Amateurs in Hellenic League Division One West yesterday afternoon.

With five games already played, Shrivenham currently sit seventh in the table with two wins, two defeats and a draw.

After joining the club three years ago, McNally says his removal came as a surprise so early on in the season, with his team making a good start to the campaign.

“I can’t believe it really, we have had a half-decent start and we won 3-1 on Saturday,” he said.

“We have been playing well. Three years ago the plan was to bring young players in. That is what I have done and we have made progress.

“The chairman (Matt Hirst) phoned me up and said I’m not in his plans, the disappointing thing is Mark Stevens (assistant boss) has been at the club for 35 years and he hasn’t been phoned.

“Considering the way we have been playing and the squad I have got together, we have made massive steps since I took over. It’s a bit of a kick in the teeth really.

“I’ve spoken to some of the players who have stood by me over the last two and a half years. The commitment they have given me is phenomenal.

“It’s left a bitter taste really, but there you go.” The club broke the news on their website this afternoon, announcing that McNally plus his assistant Stevens had left the club.

Now the former Shrivenham boss is planning on taking a break from the game, but hasn’t ruled out a return to non-league action.

“Now I plan to watch my son play a bit more, I’m sure something will come up – I had a couple of offers in pre-season,” he added.

“I’ll probably have a couple of weeks out of it, go and watch local football, watch Man United, put my feet up, annoy the missus and get back into it.”

The club also stated they will make another announcement in due course with regards to McNally’s replacement.