SWINDON Town Ladies boss Leonie Wade admits she is relieved to finally get her first win since taking charge this summer.

At the eighth time of asking, Wade was able to celebrate a win as Town were 7-1 winners against Maidenhead United Ladies in the FA Women’s Premier League Plate.

The game got off to a slow start, but burst into life just after the half an hour mark as Annie Martin notched in the 36th minute.

That kick-started a flurry of goals for the hosts, as eight minutes later Mia Mugford added her name to the scoresheet to give Town a 2-0 lead over the South West Division One outfit. The second-half was four minutes old when Martin got her second of the game, as Mugford made it 4-0 with just under an hour played.

Emily Arrell chipped in with a solitary effort before being substituted by Natalie Jo Goodright, who made good of her chance to score two minutes after her introduction.

Comfortably ahead, Martin signed off a superb individual display when she scored her third two minutes into injury time.

“The win has been a long time coming, it was obviously a good win in the cup and I think it shows where we can be,” she said.

“I wasn’t expecting it, if you woke me up on the morning of the game I couldn’t have given you a score, it was going to go either way.

“Fortunately, the girls stood up to it and it could have been a lot more than seven to be honest, so it was good to see.”

Since taking over from Steve Robertson in the summer, Wade says she is enjoying her role at the FA Women’s Premier League Division One South side.

“I’m having a good time, it has been testing and I don’t think I quite realised the size of the job and what it entailed,” she added.

“Me and my assistants are both enjoying it too, so we just want to see how far we can go with these girls.”

Swindon Spitfires were also in action this weekend and they were 2-1 winners away to Frome Town in the South West Women’s Regional League Eastern Division.

Katie Hadey headed home in the 25th minute for the visitors, before Frome drew level with 10 minutes of the half remaining.

Katrina Reynolds sealed the win for the Spitfires, when she slotted home just after the hour mark.