SWINDON Supermarine boss Dave Webb admits his side were wasteful as they slipped to a 2-0 Southern League West defeat at Yate Town.

Webb’s troops went into the game on the back of two consecutive wins at the Webbswood Stadium, but were unable to replicate those results in Gloucestershire in what proved an agonising afternoon.

The first half saw a hat-trick of opportunities for the visitors as Joe Selman fired wide within the first 10 minutes, before he and Josh Parsons struck the woodwork.

The opening period was goalless and in the second, Marine came close to the breakthrough when Parsons hit the post for the second time.

The second half also saw a debut for midfielder Harrison Bennett as the game looked to be heading for a draw.

However, with less than five minutes remaining on the clock, the visitors conceded a penalty which was converted by Steve Davis, before he added his second to snatch a 2-0 win, much to the dismay of Webb.

“It was a very frustrating game. We had two good wins in the league and we had been playing some good football so we went in hoping to get three points,” said the Marine chief.

“Again, the performance was okay, it was one of those games where we got punished because we didn’t take our chances while they were there.

“Our first-half performance was very good, we had the chances to score but we just couldn’t take them.

“We hit the post and had stuff cleared off the line but we just didn’t take our chances and sometimes in football that comes back to haunt you.”

Webb was also disappointed with the decision to award the hosts a penalty, as he believed Davis wasn’t in the box when he was fouled.

Having said that, the Supermarine chief refused to label that as the reason his side came away empty-handed on Saturday afternoon.

“The penalty was hard to take. He wasn’t even in the box and that was what someone said who was in line, watching it,”

“The linesman flagged it, the referee didn’t give the penalty and then changed his mind but these decisions even themselves out over the season.

“I’m not one to blame officials but with four minutes to go you give away a penalty and then you’re coming home with nothing.

“It’s hard to take. They (Yate) have won the game 2-0 so well done to them, but everyone in our dressing room knows that game was a missed opportunity.”

Webb will now turn his attention away from league action as his side face a trip to Salisbury’s Raymond McEnhill Stadium in the Wiltshire Senior Cup on Tuesday evening.