CHRIS Jones netted a final-period winner for Swindon Wildcats as they made it three wins from three in the NIHL Cup this evening with a narrow victory at home to Telford Tigers.

Swindon headed into the final session at the Link Centre holding a slender 3-2 advantaged but the Tigers were able to haul themselves level almost instantly.

Aaron Nell’s side lay siege to the Telford net from that point on and finally got their noses back in front when Jones rifled home with five minutes to play.

Swindon were the first to threaten and Luc Johnson stung the palms of Telford keeper Denis Bell with less than two minutes on the clock before Renny Marr gathered a strike from Joe Miller at the other end.

Swindon began to up the ante and a lovely interception from Neil Liddiard allowed him a shooting opportunity but the D-man put it straight at Bell, Jan Kostal was also denied by the Tigers stopper after being teed up by Nell before the Cats coach cracked an effort wide himself.

Marr was still busy himself between the pipes for the hosts and he did well to thwart Warren Tait and then Adam Taylor.

With the period seemingly set to end goalless, two strikes suddenly arrived in the final 90 seconds as the teams still headed back to the locker rooms all-square.

Telford got their noses in front when Swindon were caught short at the back as Rick Plant darted forward and pulled the puck back for Miller to slot home but the Cats hit back instantly when Phil Hill lashed across the face of goal and Floyd Taylor was on hand to finish the job.

Swindon were on the front foot early in the second period and only the helmet of Tigers stopper Bell prevent Kostal from putting his side in front.

The hosts did not have to wait long for their second goal, though, as Stevie Whitfield picked out Nell in space and the Cats coach rifled home from distance.

Nell continued to lead from the front for his side and twice went close to another goal himself before Swindon were made to pay when Telford drew level on the powerplay as Tait lashed past Marr.

Swindon hit back almost immediately with a powerplay goal of their own as Hill found the net after being teed up by Max Bibraer to send the home side into the final period with the narrowest of margins.

The hosts got off to a nightmare start in the final session as Telford needed just 32 seconds to restore parity on the scoreboard as Plant hit the back of the net.

Swindon tried to raise the tempo once more but found a flurry of shots batted away by Bell as Taylor, Birbraer, Sam Bullas and Sam Zajac were all kept at bay.

The Cats’ offensive onslaught paid dividends as they reclaimed the lead with five minutes left on the clock when Nell darts towards goal and slipped the puck to Jones, who guides it into the roof of the net.