DEFENDER Lloyd Jones was arrested last month for an alleged assault at a Cheltenham nightclub while on-loan at Swindon Town, just hours after the side's defeat to Port Vale.

The club have today confirmed to the Advertiser that Jones has now returned to his parent club, Liverpool, having originally signed on a season-long loan from Anfield.

In what has been a dire season for Town both on and off the pitch, with a number of discipline issues marring the campaign, Jones is the latest to fall foul.

Jones was arrested in the early hours of Sunday, March 12, having been an unused sub at Vale Park, a game which Swindon lost 3-2 to deepen their relegation woes.

The 21-year-old, who is on loan from Liverpool, who he joined from boyhood club Plymouth Argyle in 2011, was bailed until today, April 28, following the alleged assault at a nightclub in Regent Street, Cheltenham.

A Gloucestershire police statement read: “We received a report at about 2.30am on Sunday, March 12, of an assault at a nightclub in Regent St, Cheltenham.

“A 21-year-old man from the Plymouth area was arrested on suspicion of assault. He was bailed until April 28, 2017.”

Just three days after the alleged incident, Luke Williams’ side faced a Sheffield United side with an unusual looking line-up, with four players missing the game at the County Ground through discipline issues.

Lawrence Vigouroux, Brandon Ormonde-Ottewill, James Brophy and Jordan Stewart were all later handed fines as Williams alluded to unsatisfactory ‘activities’ that the quartet had taken part in before the Tuesday night game.

However, despite Jones also dropping out of the 18-man squad for that match, Williams did not raise any concerns about the central defender at the time.

Jones has not featured since picking up a slight knock in the latter stages of the win away to Coventry City, a victim of the seven loanees at the club fitting into just five slots, and after missing out on the trip to Fleetwood Town, on April 1, Williams said: “Lloyd has been excellent. He is training very well and played very well in the reserve game (against Southend United, four days prior).

“I have been very pleased with how professional he has been.”

The club are unable to comment further on the matter at the current time.